Default Gallows Groves and Reinforcements

If I may, I would ask for Infernal confirmation on this before I add it to the Circle FAQ - it came up here in the rules forums awhile ago, but there was never an official ruling on it, and there are still people asking about it. Plus, I thought of an additional wrinkle to the problem...

Can Gallows Groves, which cannot be placed except by Strange Growth, be 'placed' as Reinforcements?

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Growth
    Once per turn during its activation, place this model anywhere within 5" of its current location. This model cannot be placed except as a result of Strange Growth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinforcements
    During the Maintenance phase, on a player's second turn or later, these models can be placed within 3" of any point on the reinforcements line shown on the scenario diagram. All of a player's reinforcements must be placed on the same turn.
    Read as written, it's pretty cut and dry - Gallows Groves can't be placed by any means other than Strange Growth, and thus cannot come in as reinforcements. However...

Warcasters, Warlocks, models/units with the Pre-Deployment or Attached rule, and models/unit that cannot begin the game in play cannot be reinforcements. Reinforcement models cannot be bonded. Reinforcements lose the Ambush ability. Reinforcements with the Prey ability choose their Prey target after both players are deployed.
    There is still nothing in the rules actually stopping a player from taking a Gallows Groves in their Reinforcements - that would be the common assumption, but according to the Steamroller rules, there is no such stipulation as it stands. They do not Pre-Deploy, they are not Attached, and they can begin the game in play, therefore they are still a valid choice as a Reinforcement, despite the fact that they cannot be placed. There is currently nothing in the Steamroller rules to disallow it, or to handle it - therefore I would like to see an Infernal ruling, if not errata, to account for it.

---

Thank you, as always, for your time and consideration.

I am pretty sure that any rules on the card do not come into play until the model is actually in play, unless it involves deployment (Like Ambush, Advanced Deployment, etc.)

Using that logic that you cannot physically place a model before it comes into play would not allow you to use the gallows grove in any game, since you have to place models when deploying them.
    Last edited by machine007; 03-26-2012 at 01:39 AM.
    Current Faction(s): Retribution/Trolls/Menoth:
    Trolls: Restripped, now with more ! 275/383 points completed.
    Retribution: Back with a Vengeance! 118/229 points completed.

Annihilator

Actually there are rules that are used before models come into play beyond deployment rules. Prey is an example.

Organized Play Consultant Hacksaw76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by machine007 View Post
    I am pretty sure that any rules on the card do not come into play until the model is actually in play, unless it involves deployment (Like Ambush, Advanced Deployment, etc.)

Using that logic that you cannot physically place a model before it comes into play would not allow you to use the gallows grove in any game, since you have to place models when deploying them.
    This statement reflects the correct intent. Gallows Groves can be placed as reinforcements - this will be clarified in SR2013
    www.templecon.org