Default Stryker & Long Gunners

So a thread about Long Gunners got me thinking about ways to make them work. My main problem with them is that I feel they encourage very static play, so I decided to make a list that matches that static playstyle to see how well I can make it work (obviously it would be terrible for scenarios where you have to take a control zone, so for the sake of any discussion, let's just take that as a given).

So here's what I came up with:

pStryker +6
    -Centurion 9
    -Centurion 9
    -Squire 2

Journeyman 3

Precursor Knights (full) 8
    -Officer & Standard 2

Long Gunners (full) 10
    -Officer & Standard 2

Black 13th 4

Rangers 5

Rhupert 2

Total: 50

My plan is that the PKs will form a shield wall that the Long Gunners will shelter behind, with a Centurion (under Arcane Shield) anchoring each flank. Rhupert is around to help the Precursors survive (ARM 18, 23 on feat turn, with Tough). The Rangers are there to help the Long Gunners hit high DEF targets without pairing up, and maybe shoot some targets of opportunity themselves. The Black 13th are there because I had 4 points left, and to deal with any Stealth. Stryker's job is to provide Snipe, Arcane Shield, and his feat.

Thoughts? This list involves a lot of pieces that I don't frequently use (Centurions, Long Gunners, Precursor Knights, Black 13th), so while the idea seems good to me on paper, I'm not sure how well it'll work out in practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Dougseacat View Post
    The Casio calculator is far better at doing math than a warjack. The warjack is better at walking around, obeying orders, and murdering things with weapons.
    Cygnar: 500 points & 14 Warcasters painted / 634 points & 14 Warcasters total

I guess you may run into several issues, but at least in theory, the list looks like it's covering all the bases with some solid choices! Well done! It's definitely a well balanced approach to a list that I could see being successful in Scenario play.

Now I love Rangers, but since this is still a theory-based thread, let me say that instead of Rangers I could see the addition of a pair of Trencher Chain-Guns (mostly for AD & Covering Fire.) This will allow you to get a quick grab on one of the objectives, or to help control the board, as board control will be huge with this type of list. You'll need to focus strategies on forcing your opponent to move where you need them to, as your list will lack a lot of the general mobility that Cygnar can bring to the table. With the remaining point I'd recommend a single Stormsmith.

I'd love to try this list out sometime... But I own neither Centurion, Precursors, nor Long Gunners (Or Rangers/TCGs for that matter.) So, basically it's a list of proxy for me if I were to try it out. Not so hot. If you give it a go, let us know how it went!

Best,

Hmmm... it does look like some fun. It won't handle Stealth infantry though. If you don't have the TCGs, I might swap a Centurion for a Cyclone. With one of those and Ryan, you should be able to mitigate any low to mid armor stealth infantry out there... or any high defense infantry as well without resorting to getting Stryker up front for an expensive Earthquake.

When I play pstryker I like to have 2 targets for snipe. I can't tell you how many times I have won games by using sniped long gunners to create los then hot swapping snipe to a journeyman bonded charger with 3 focus. You have rangers, but I don't think they pack the same punch.

Looks like a pretty solid list overall.

Could the sword knights fulfill the same role as the precursor knights, or are you using the precursors to benefit from the ranked attacks? Just wondering, because the sword knights could take arcane shield and defensive like.

The sword knights could ideally fulfill the same roll by opening up little gaps between themselves so the long gunners can see through their unit. That way anything that tries to make it through will have to take free strikes from the sword knights and the sword knights will take full advantage of the two centurions by using Flank.

Sword knights:
    Defensive Line + Arcane shield = 19 ARM

Precursor knights:
    Shield wall = 18 ARM

It's just one point of armor difference, but they're both one wound units. It might just come down to play style and list.

Hmm, OK, it sounds like the consensus is to drop the Rangers. I do have a pair of Trencher Chain Guns (although only 1 is painted - I'd probably want to paint the other before bringing it to the table). I don't usually use them much because of their lack of mobility (I usually prefer the more expensive Cyclone), but that's not really a problem in this list. Not a bad idea at all.

I like a Charger too, but I'm not really sure what I'd drop for one. If I swap the Rangers for a pair of Chain Guns, that leaves me with 1 point to spare. I probably don't really need a Squire in this list (blasphemy, I know!), but that still leaves me 1 point short. I guess I could drop Rhupert too, but I really like the idea of my Precursors being Tough.
    The Casio calculator is far better at doing math than a warjack. The warjack is better at walking around, obeying orders, and murdering things with weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by LordCommaderCavanaugh View Post
    Could the sword knights fulfill the same role as the precursor knights, or are you using the precursors to benefit from the ranked attacks? Just wondering, because the sword knights could take arcane shield and defensive like.
    You've got a good point about the Sword Knights, but yes my main plan was to benefit from Ranked Attacks with the Long Gunners. If I wasn't concerned about LOS, I probably would take Sword Knights in this list.

There aren't any blind spots that I can see. You can take down plenty of stealthed infantry with long gunners if you perfect layered placement. Just move the long gunners to around 4" behind whatever you screened them with (including members of their own unit) then enjoy double tapping at targets within 5".

I don't think the second centurion is needed. I would replace it with a storm strider. It loves strykers feat and arcane shield. You can fling earthquakes near it with no worries, and it adds a bit more pressure to your opponent. It's presence makes it pretty hard to back off during strykers feat.

Gives you another snipe target to roll to as well. And gives the rangers one more buddy to set up.

@ShepMachine - As usual, a good suggestion. Though personally I like the idea of 2 Centurions in the list, perhaps the addition of a Storm Strider would be prudent. I think some play testing would really help with that decision. My suggestion would be that should you wish to drop a Centurion, changing the Precursors to Stormguard would be best. That way they're still ARM 18 with AS and have Ranked attacks & Set-Defense to receive a charge. Furthermore, they make excellent targets for the Storm Strider to bounce eLeaps off of.

@MadJack - I see I've made your Sig. That makes Darius happy.

Okay, I may try and run a version of this list using a few different models, but following a similar battleplan:

pStryker (+6)
    -Centurion (9)
    -Centurion (9)
    -Squire (2)

Stormguard (max) (9)
    pAlexia (5)
    Long Gunners (max) w UA (12)
    The Black 13th Strike Force (4)

Journeyman Warcaster (3)
    Rhupert Corvolo (2)
    Stormsmith Stormcaller (1)
    =50pts

I don't know when I'll be able to get my next game in, but when I do I'll try and post a follow-up to this thread and let people know how it went.

I don't like PKs with PStryker, you are wasting Blur IMO. He is such a good support caster that I can't see not using every option he brings to the table.

What about two units of Stormblades or Boomhowler? One for Blur and one for AS? Or both with AS depending on the match-up? Swapping Snipe on the WA could really surprise your opponent plus they can get some pretty awesome Assaults off with the rangers (they need the +2 RAT) while sniped. WA is what POW? Enough to kill an Earthquake KD'd caster?
    Last edited by DontStop; 04-05-2012 at 01:25 PM.
    My whole entire unit, is dangerous.

Destroyer of Worlds phreaker187's Avatar

moar rowdy!

I see a lot of Stryker lists that don't run Rowdy. What's up with that? The no knockdown and DEF 18 in combat are good enough for me to run them together every time.

You'll have at lease Snipe and Arc Shield out, give a jack 3 focus, then you can't do anything else. One of your Centurions might end up being a paperweight.
    "Eff him up B. Make sure you spread the gospel of fear up there about how bad we would crush them!" -Darknesse

Heres my 50 pt pstryker

Pstryker +6
    -Lancer 6
    -Ol' Rowdy 9
    -Squire 2
    ATGM 6
    -UA 2
    --Defender 9
    Blk 13th 4
    Long Gunners (10/10) 10
    Journeyman Warcaster 3
    -Charger 4
    Reinholdt 1

yep i still play gunline pop and drop stryker. people don't think i can kill enough stuff before i become engaged or lose by scenario, but normally i do.
    Last edited by Griffin839; 04-05-2012 at 07:43 PM.

Griffin839: Why do you take Reinholdt over a Stormsmith? I personally don't think an extra shot with Strykers gun is better than a Stormsmith.

Destroyer of Worlds phreaker187's Avatar

Extra dice on EQ. You need to run him so focus light it's really hard to boost anything with him.

I could see Sylys being more useful than the Squire with pStryker. One of the few Cygnar casters that will benefit more. Then you could run a stormsmith, because they're fun!
    Last edited by phreaker187; 04-06-2012 at 08:31 PM.
    "Eff him up B. Make sure you spread the gospel of fear up there about how bad we would crush them!" -Darknesse

Quote Originally Posted by JohnOSpencer View Post
    Griffin839: Why do you take Reinholdt over a Stormsmith? I personally don't think an extra shot with Strykers gun is better than a Stormsmith.
    Its for lucky charm and spyglass, more than his ability to reload.

I don't like sylys so I've never tried him. Im an r2 man.
    Last edited by Griffin839; 04-06-2012 at 09:15 PM.