Destroyer of Worlds kommander_redfinger's Avatar

Default Red is going green with Skorne....WIP thread

I am taking a break from painting my Khador army and I have decided to go with Skorne as an alternate army, I really dig the models, and for me that is a big part of this hobby. I went back and forth for a while on color scheme and though I liked the studio scheme, it just was not sure. So in my searching I cam across 2 threads here in the painting forum;

http://privateerpressforums.com/show...kkk-s-workshop This guy does some AMAZING work with marble effects!

an this thread;

http://privateerpressforums.com/show...ht=jade+skorne This guy has a beautiful Jade colored army with some cool freehand on the armor...so I thought, why not combine the two and this is what I came up with;

I still have quite a bit to do. All of the red trim needs to be finished and all the metal trim as well as the base, so he is largely a WIP still but I can now see how everything is going to come together. Iam not totally sold on the gems yet, I think the purple is a good choice of color, but I think I need to go back and redo it.

One thing that is cool about painting this armor is it is pretty forgiving, also this is my first time using p3 paints as well. I find them quite different than Vallejo paints, but they seem to perform better for blending/highlighting. Any way I will post more as I go, as always thanks for any feedback/comments!

Ashton

Gorgeous. I really like the bright jade colour you've got there.

I'm not sold on the back banner. They are probably unfinished, but in general, I don't like back banners.
    Currently despondent over all the pretty Goraxes that are going to be defiled by Minions players...
    For love. For honor. For Devilsquid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyHolly
    Blind me once, shame on you. Blind me twice, shame on me. Blind me thrice, whine on the internet somewhere

Fantastic start. I have little doubt it will turn out better than you expect.
    Trollbloods: 25/266, Circle: 146/374, Skorne: 27/35, Legion: 8/109, Minions 20/41
    Cygnar: 17/158, Protectorate: 0/57 , Khador: 0/71, Mercenaries: 136/255, Retribution: 0/148, Cryx: 0/19

Quote Originally Posted by Alviaran View Post
    Gorgeous. I really like the bright jade colour you've got there.

I'm not sold on the back banner. They are probably unfinished, but in general, I don't like back banners.

Black for the banner is not my first choice either, however there is already so much going on paint eise on the model that I felt I needed to break that up abit with some flat colors. Red I felt would be to overpowering, purple would come across cartoony, but maybe a dark blue like coal black might work.

Thanks for the feedback!

Ashton

Destroyer of Worlds Llael'sHope's Avatar

I actually think red like his cumberbund thingy with the Skorne symbol freehanded on it would fit the scheme very nicely. A+ job all around, the marbeing is impressive and the green is a gorgeous shade.
    "Hmmm....Dubious math."-Scott Wray, Chain-Attack podcast
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.”- Robin Williams

Destroyer of Worlds CrimsonGuard's Avatar

It's Kryptonite Skorne! Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by Alviaran View Post
    (I do enjoy making fun of the elves. Fallen civilization just means you guys failed is all. Thanks for playing! Now go extinct already!)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeckert View Post
    Poor guys, you turn half a continent into a bottomless pit one time and you never hear the end of it

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonGuard View Post
    It's Kryptonite Skorne! Loving it
    Kryptonite!! Love the comparison!

Molik Karn is done now, I am just waiting on some scenery stuff I ordered to dress the base up a bit more, also I am working on getting some decals made for the banners. I decided to start with him for my Skorne army because I was not entirely sure how the marble would look...I feel Molik is a good representation of what the armor and figures are like in the Skorne faction, so it seemed a good place to start. My box set is all assembled and I started on my Warlock tonight I will post some pics tomorrow when there is better light. In the mean time, enjoy these pics of Molik!

Also, I am trying to figure out what I am going to do about my Titan skin as well, still have not settled on a color I like that works with the jade theme....any thoughts?

Ashton

Wow. Just wow

Quote Originally Posted by IronComrade View Post
    Wow. Just wow
    My thoughts exactly!

Beautiful work mate.

Conqueror

For either/both the titan skin and the banners maybe, a cream or tan color (I'm a fan of using Jack Bone, Menoth White Base, and/or Menoth White Highlight). For the Titan could do pink or red eyes and call them albino. For the banners you could try to freehand the Skorne symbol in red/orange with the lighter background and I don't think it would distract too much.

Quote Originally Posted by kc7sbp View Post
    For either/both the titan skin and the banners maybe, a cream or tan color (I'm a fan of using Jack Bone, Menoth White Base, and/or Menoth White Highlight). For the Titan could do pink or red eyes and call them albino. For the banners you could try to freehand the Skorne symbol in red/orange with the lighter background and I don't think it would distract too much.
    Freehand is something I am not very good at, until I get my skill level high enough, decals are the way to go. Those are some good suggestions on the banners, right now they are based in Coal Black while I am deciding what I want to do. I rather like the dark look, I think it adds to the "evil" look a little more. Right now I am playing with the idea of a Koi fish type banner....so I will see what happens.

Ashton

Combatant

He looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Kur0n View Post
    He looks great.
    Thanks! I will be posting more of the Skorne stuff that I have been working on soon. I am picking up the rest of my army today, so it will be mostly assembly for the next week or so.

Ashton

Probably the most well executed skorne paint job ive seen

@impaler27- Thanks I sincerely appreciate that!

Time for a new update. First up, I picked up a Bronzeback this week, and of course I wanted to convert him up a bit. So I went with the standard "upright" pose. However, since I wanted this go to look a bit beat up, I did some battle damage on the tusks, and added a nice little scar over the left eye. Lastly, just to help proportion everything, I added in a mane to give him a bit more of a feral look.

A little closer with the tusk;

Just a few more photos. Just showing the progress on pMorghoul, and the Gladiator. I am not totally happy with the skin tone on the Gladiator, but I think I am still going to roll with it.

Beautiful! Would you share the recipe for the jade-coloured armor?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauklaue View Post
    Beautiful! Would you share the recipe for the jade-coloured armor?

Thanks, the colors is a mix of Vallejo Light Green, Blue Green, and Ivory.

Ashton