I'm putting together a Kara army with the usual mix of ranged jacks, units and solos, and I want to complete it with a melee tarpit unit to prevent my ranged units from being overrun. I'm curious as to what others usually use as tarpits in their ranged armies. This is what I'm looking at:
1) Boomhowler/Trolls. These guys seem like kind of the obvious choice with their 4, 5, and 6 tough rolls as they approach the enemy. Very hard to take out, and ARM 19 with Arcane Shield.
2) Precursor Knights. Immunity to spells and ARM 21 with Shield Wall and Arcane Shield seems great. Their once a game damage boost gives them real punch on the charge. Being able to trace LOS through them is very handy for all my ranged stuff.
3) Sword Knights. Cheap as dirt. Can keep up high armor while running towards the enemy (ARM 19 with Arcane Shield) with Defensive line. Flanking w/Warjack seems wasted, since my jacks will be hanging back.
4) Steelhead Halberdiers. Cheap as above. Charge for/against bonuses help damage and defense.
5) Forge Guard. Do huge amounts of damage. Extremely high armor even when running with Defensive line (21 with Arcane Shield).
With Mercs, there's also that new solo that makes them Cygnar, which could be very handy with ignoring LOS through the Forge Guard, or having Trolls Assault and Dig In.
Right now, I'm leaning toward the first two. What are everyone's thoughts on tarpit units with Kara?