Ok, lets cut a short story short. While enquiring about the UK tournament scene in general Jamie_P managed to trick me into buying a ticket for the UK Masters. "Only five tickets left" he said (there were two) so I had a little panic and made the purchase. Then I realised that I probably ought to read the rulepack and stuff. Uh oh!
Its a 50 point event using the divide and conquer format so I need three different fifty point lists and I'm going to have to play each one at least twice.
- I have no experience of playing a turn in less than half an hour
- I have very little experience playing tabletop
- I'm used to 35 point games, I have played very very few 50 point games
- limited model collection (listed below)
On the plus side I have played quite alot of VASSAL. I have an excellent knowledge of the rules and I tend to win. So its not all bad, I'm not a noob, just out of my depth.
Hopefully that should give you some context. Now, what I'm looking for is list advice.
The Plan So Far
pKrueger (with miscellaneous)
eKrueger (with wolds)
???? (with bloodtrackers, maybe)
pKrueger is non-negotiable. I dont have a ton of experience with him and I'm pretty sure I dont have the correct set of models. However, the lightning man gives me a very simple way to handle iron flesh and general infantry spam. There are probably "better" options (Mohsar + megalith/pureblood comes to mind) but they are more complex so the advantages of a nuanced infantry-handler are going to melt away pretty quickly under time pressure. My brain can probably handle "lightning the mens, trade the heavies" so pKrueger is in.
* Feral - 9
* Feral - 9
* Stalker - 10
* Warden - 9
* Gorax - 4
Bloodweavers - 5
Blood Trackers (min) - 5
Shifting Stones - 2
Shifting Stones - 2
I know, I know, its a terrible list. The plan is to use the stones to threaten some teleports while actually using them as lightning rods and fury management. The beasts speak for themselves - a simple line of heavy hitters plus a warden. The bloodweavers are included because they are amazing with pKrueger. The trackers are basicly filler - a fast skirmish unit and a nod to my complete lack of tarpit.
eKrueger is one of my favourite casters at the moment. He works great with everything and I've had alot of success with a wold oriented force. Amongst other things this list is intended to handle eLylyth. I could be persuaded not to use this list but you would have to make a very strong argument.
* Megalith - 11
* Warden - 9
* Warden - 9
* Guardian - 9
Shifting Stones (+UA) - 3
Shifitng Stones - 2
My quandry is how to spend the remaining 12 points. I want to fit in a warpwolf, blackclad, and LotF but obviously thats not possible. A timidly played unit of woldstalkers might be pretty handy but I'm worried they would just be shot off the board.
The third list really could be anything. Well, it cant be Grayle cos he is bollocks and it cant be eBaldur because I already put Megalith with eKrueger (plus eBaldur deserves better than the rag tag force I would give him).
Currently I'm looking at:
- pKaya with many warpwolves and trackers/weavers to tarpit. pKaya is better than people think so I might be able to catch someone out. Sadly it lacks some fear factor so maybe doesnt adequately support my other two lists
- eKaya with the same deal. She isnt as dynamic as pKaya but running an all stealth army could be pretty important.
- pBaldur with trackers and warpwolves. I tried this a few nights ago and it impressed me. Stoneskin trackers made my opponents gatorman tarpit look like a joke and pBaldur supports piece trading quite well with his feat and rapid growth. No megalith though and if the trackers die cheaply then I will probably lose.
- Mohsar could be a great option with heavy pressure from his trackers. Again though, I'm worried that if the trackers die I'm going to be left looking like a chump.
- Morvahna is tempting but I'm not sure how the list would look. Is the witch doctor out yet? The big appeal here is that I could just move models around the board while rolling my eyes wildly saying "derp derp derp" and have a reasonable chance of getting away with it if I can dodge upkeep removal.
- Kromac. I dont feel comfotable using the optimal Kromac strategy because of the big distances and guesses involved (I'd get fussy about it and blow my turn time). However, Kromac is such a good caster that that might not really matter. I'm pondering drawing up a list that appears to use optimal Kromac theory but is actually intended to throw itself down my opponents throat and score chump surf assassinations.
Unfortunately the current steamroller rules require me to bring 10 points of reinforcements on top of the three seperate fifty point lists. Given that I'm already stretched for models this makes pretty much all the tier lists out of bounds.
I'm currently planning to use a full unit of wolfriders as my reserves in every list.
pBaldur, Kromac, pKaya, eKaya (I dont object to buying additional casters, I'm already planning to purchase both Kuegers)
Megalith, Warden x2, Guardian, Stalker, Pureblood, Feral x2, Argus, Gorax, Woldwyrd (no Satyrs, I'm unlikely to buy a gnarlhorn just yet but could be tempted)
Shifting Stones x2 +UA, Bloodweavers, Bloodtrackers (min), Wolf Riders (8 of them!), Woldstalkers, Ravagers (min) + UA + WA (I'll max out the trackers when I buy extra casters)
Lord of the Feast, Blackclad, Whitemane
I have all the cards and a tape measure but I guess I probably ought to buy lots of tokens and things. Any idea if I get away with not having a rulebook?
Mostly I'm looking for list advice but really anything tournament specific would be greatly appreciated.