Default Replacing Devlin Mud?

Now, I'm not an 'addict' to Devlin Mud like some people I know who just smear it on everything, but with GW reformulating all their paints, it's one of the few things I don't see an easy analog for (Most paints I can just get from P3 or Vallejo) and I do use it to drab down metallics and leather. What's the closest replacement for its unique consistancy and tone?

The new GW Agrax Earthshade wash is basically Devlan Mud...but better. All of the new GW washes and glazes are excellent in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRupert View Post
    The new GW Agrax Earthshade wash is basically Devlan Mud...but better. All of the new GW washes and glazes are excellent in my opinion.
    ^ That (10characters)
    So play like you've got a pair, or put down the metal and go find something made of plastic.
    Page 5, Warmachine Mk 1. Prime, 2003

Ah, so they actually had a marked improvement in that department? I've been kind of...dissatisfied with their new basic paints >_>

Army painter's new inks/washes are almost spot on replacements for Devlan Mud.
    Same consistency, colour and coverage to me.

...legends tell of a mythical pirate captain by the name of Johnny Bones. Captain of the damned ship The Golden Thrall, doomed to forever navigate the murky waters of the seven seas trading mild innuendo and painting tips in every port he calls at...

Liquitex raw umber acrylic ink is the same shade and tone, but you will need to make your own suspension to make it a wash.

I use Devlan Mud more than I should and bought the Army Painter Dark Shade (the middle one of 3) after hearing Jon talk about it on Boosted Damage. I'm very happy with it, also because it's in a dropper bottle it's the same thickness today as it was when i bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uratoh View Post
    Ah, so they actually had a marked improvement in that department? I've been kind of...dissatisfied with their new basic paints >_>
    What new paints have you tried? I find that the once that are actually new works fine. All the old colors are still in there though they changed names on them all, there is a chart for knowing whats what (as a note, when you need to make a document like that yor change is not for the better) to download from them..
    There should be something like a cool picture here or a quote about something funny that has been said, but I am lazy -Pixl

I feel that Agrax Earthshade is worse than Devlin Mud - stains too much of the surface to use as a shading wash. Im using army painter strong tone ink and its very close to Devlan Mud.

Zombie Annihilator Fritzagelmann's Avatar

I am not a fan of Agrax Earthshade, I find i to be a tad to grey and that it is a bit clingy and not as flowy as mud was
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.~ Buddha

Vallejo Smokey INK works great!

Quote Originally Posted by Coalshed View Post
    I use Devlan Mud more than I should and bought the Army Painter Dark Shade (the middle one of 3) after hearing Jon talk about it on Boosted Damage. I'm very happy with it, also because it's in a dropper bottle it's the same thickness today as it was when i bought it.
    Awesome to hear. So that's two votes for army painter then

...legends tell of a mythical pirate captain by the name of Johnny Bones. Captain of the damned ship The Golden Thrall, doomed to forever navigate the murky waters of the seven seas trading mild innuendo and painting tips in every port he calls at...

Quote Originally Posted by DC23 View Post
    Vallejo Smokey INK works great!
    I've gotta water this waaaay down as I find it's too thick. But yes, Vallejo Smoke is a pretty good product.

Agree nemlock, I dillute it to wash consistency myself. Around 1 part paint 5 parts to 10 parts water.

Vallejo sepia wash does a great job as well
    Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk.

http://adary-miniatures.blogspot.com

I vote Agrax Earthshade as well. I went from Devlan Mud to Agrax, and didn't even skip a beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Valander
    The rules don't tell you what to do when you're not following the rules.

I used some Vallejo Wash Umber Shade last night and fell in love with it. It will easily replace my Devlan Mud, perhaps before it even runs out. It's very close to the color of Devlan Mud and behaves really well as a shade. I'm probably going to pick up their entire line of shades now after using this one.

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Nemlock View Post
    I've gotta water this waaaay down as I find it's too thick. But yes, Vallejo Smoke is a pretty good product.
    Vallejo Smoke and Vallejo Smokey Ink are two different products. One is an oily sort of paint, the other one is an ink.

Eater of Brains snapshot_superhero's Avatar

You can find a great comparison post of various products here.