Thread: My black menoth

Default My black menoth

hey guys and gals, im Ant, from Aus, and this is my newly painted menoth army. There are more pics in my album, let me know what you think. cheers.

I like, A guy in my Group wants to do Black Menoth. and i was like ewww.... but i am looking at these and am like Wow, thats pretty sexy.
    I like how you incorporated other colors in the models, Kreoss looks so awesome with the Red Skirt and blue sash... i will definitely point my Menoth Buddy to your thread.

thanks heaps, i was a bit iffy on kreoss lol.

you know what would make these so much more sexy? Mosaic Tile Bases
    I wish i could use them for my khador but they are comepletely out of place for Khador IMO...

lol great minds think alike, that was the plan. was going to have the tiles black and white patterns and through a few red menofixes on the bigger bases.

Quote Originally Posted by crab-people View Post
    lol great minds think alike, that was the plan. was going to have the tiles black and white patterns and through a few red menofixes on the bigger bases.
    I have resisted the urge to buy Menoth purely to have a reason to make those mosaic tile bases lol.

Looking pretty good, but having red, green, and blue all on the same model really challenges the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Claw View Post
    Looking pretty good, but having red, green, and blue all on the same model really challenges the eye.
    It does but its looks really good, we are also seeing close ups, i bet on the table its not as challenging...

... as my Protectorate army uses a black scheme too, I appreciate your work.

But the green looks kind of weird and gives me a Cryxian creepy feeling

I like how you made the tarnishing purple on the hot metal (swords and gun).

Quote Originally Posted by @ndreas View Post
    ... as my Protectorate army uses a black scheme too, I appreciate your work.

But the green looks kind of weird and gives me a Cryxian creepy feeling

I like how you made the tarnishing purple on the hot metal (swords and gun).
    Lol cheers, thats the point with the green lol.

I have to say, I like all of it, save kreoss for the reason the Blue Claw stated, too much going on. The other models where you've dropped the red work well, and have an eerie, Cryx feel.

I like the heat stained metals-very cool!
    Space reserved for sometime in the not so distant future when I may or may not think of something wise/funny/intelligent to say.

... undead unholy Protectorate Renegates then... beware to not be smited by Menoth Himself

Im not sure what to do with kreoss, the blue cloth is a running theme in the army. Thanks for the compliments guys.

Combatant

With kreoss I would make the robes a slightly darker blue than the tabard, that will make it less busy and still leave you a color difference between the two cloth pieces if thats what your looking for.

Destroyer of Worlds

You know what you need to do now don't you? You need to get the high reclaimer and paint him white. But seriously, I like them, it's an uncommon scheme and well executed. Now for my critique... I'm not sold on the red. That's the only thing I don't like.
    "Did the legion player glance at the board and think the bombardiers were scenery perhaps? I'm pretty sure it's a common mistake. They don't really move, and nobody's ever seen them do anything." (quote from Voodoogk)

I am also a fan of the colour shading on the various weapons
    Cygnar (Mercs/Minions) 16 (2) Casters, 419 (122) Points
    Legion of Everblight 1 Warlock, 37 Points
    Home brew 1 Caster, 7 points

"It's not your faction, it's you"

So is it something inparticular about the red, or just red being in there altogether. The heat treated metals are my fav part too.

Kreoss in natural light, the other pics were under a fluro.

... either the red or the blue look out of place compared to your main colors and the metals and your main accent, the green.

In my experience, it is always hard to place green beneath blue and still get it good looking, as their contrast is low, but their message colorwise is too different, that often creates irrritation (green: hope, beginning,start - blue: silence, relaxation, peace).

Blue is a chilly color and at least with the brightness and lightness you used it it looks too merry for such a dark scheme

While red is the complimentary color to green on the color wheel, that almost always works.

If it were my army, I'd probably dump the blue in favor of the red (color of blood for the leader is right!).

If you count in the gold and the purple on the heat treated metal, you already have all six colors of the small color wheel on one mini, including black and white (silver)...
    "There is no need for a rule in the book to tell you to follow the rules as written." - Valander

I like the scheme as is. There are several strong colours there, but they seem pretty well balanced to me.

The heated metal effects are fantastic, and the overall execution of the paint job is great. Nice work!

Thanks heaps John Q, I can see the point of kreoss being to busy. Il see how resnic goes before I change anything on him. Thanks for the insight @ndreas.

... you are welcome.

And to get me right: Your army looks great, both in color choice and execution, if I give my opinion on the colors, it is just because you asked
    (It is kind of cool to have a black scheme and still all six main colors in it, although one recognizes only on second sight.)
    "There is no need for a rule in the book to tell you to follow the rules as written." - Valander

Dont get me wrong, I wanted true critique/oppinions, and I value the fact you did. I just dont want to wreck kreoss lol. Its good food for thought (sp?) And probably will change the loincloth to red with brighter highlingts than the robe, still mulling it over lol.

Destroyer of Worlds

I heard from someone, I think maybe it was ghool, that when you finish a model it's best to just leave it alone and take what you've learned to apply next time. I've always liked that and fully agree with it. I definately wouldn't change kreoss now if I were you, he really is a beautiful model. I would however eliminate one of the 3 colors (red, green, or blue) on future models just to avoid that color clash (and I mean clash in the least severe way possible) if you are concerned about it.
    "Did the legion player glance at the board and think the bombardiers were scenery perhaps? I'm pretty sure it's a common mistake. They don't really move, and nobody's ever seen them do anything." (quote from Voodoogk)

... I'd second this advice.

When I started painting (and as it looks, I am still a starter ), I was frightened by the fact that painting my minis will leave me with (poor) novice quality at first. I then thought about practicing on some models and only paint the rest of my army after achieving some standards.
    But then I would never be able to field finished armies, because as I know me, my work would never meet my standards (it's much easier to criticize than to perform in most cases).

So I willingly decided to just paint and learn and be satisfied with the fact, that my army will - hopefully - show my progress as painter, accepting the fact, that the quality and paint-style will change - to the better I hope.

So just do like comrade suggested: it prevents you from altering your really nice executed Kreoss and then - perhaps - mess him up, which will leave you with very bad feelings afterwards

On a side note: on your last Kreoss-photos (those back- and side-shots) you see how the color approach would be when leaving off the blue, and that indeed the blue is the intruder in your scheme IMHO (you can just mask the little blue spots with your fingers on the screen, and you will recognize, what I mean)

i bought reznic friday and a good 6+ hrs of solid painting later his finished, have to wait for the missus to finish work to pinch her cam, i may be a lil excited to share him lol.
    also i do see what you mean @ndreas, when my army progresses and the scheme settles i may even give kreoss a do over, see how things pan out i guess
    Last edited by crab-people; 06-02-2012 at 07:19 AM.

pics as promised, not great quality and very washed out, but the get the idea across lol.

Destroyer of Worlds Nuriochi_sol's Avatar

Nice work! What I really like is the effect on the metal. The blues and purples subtly work to make the metal look like it's been heat treated or otherwise in a hot fire without being polished up afterwards. Neat effect!

... much better without the blue

And cool freehand on the scroll.
    I especially dig the skull-white mask on this model (and the heat treated exhaust system as already seen on your other models)!

cheers guys, his mask is silver lol, just the reflection. had my first game with him this arvo, wow is he a beat stick. took down a full health kahdor jack(destroyer?) by him self in one turn lol, his insane.

... he especially shines in 15 pts and 25 pts games.

I see the silver on the mask now. But a skull-white Jason-esque mask would have been scary nonetheless

that would be scary, and verry fitting. hmmmmmm now you've got me thinking lol

... *evil whisper* doooo iiiit! :P

This model has the -rule, so it's justified (you see, even the symbol is white)