I am running a IK campaign this year, either with the new rules or with Savage Worlds. As I don't know what the new game will look like outside very basic info I'm busy planning the campaign with Savage Worlds.
Gun Mages present a problem for me. I've seen some good conversions and some that didn't feel right. The problem with the original d20 class was that it really lived in the shadow of the Wizard/Sorcerer. The challenge was to make the class feel different from a caster with the "Bolt" spell. I brain stormed and might have found something that "feels" right for me and I am looking for constructive criticism.
Arcane Background: Gun Mage (it maybe edge instead)
10 power points. The character does not choose spells, instead they spend power points to do certain actions
- add a d6 to damage - 2pp per d6 added
- reload a weapon - 1pp (does not incur multi-action penalty)
- Call their pistol to their hand - 1pp if pistol is in sight, 3 pp if not (not sure about a max range)
- Hit an ethereal creature (for normal damage) - 1pp
- add a bonus to hit - 1 pp per +1 to shooting
You could spend multiple power points for various effects. Adding a d6 to damage and a +1 to your shooting roll, and reloading your Magelock for next turn would cost 4pp.
I know it's rough, but thoughts?