So I'd like to discuss different tactics we plan on using when faced with Cygnar's newest toy: the Stormwall, and, presumably, a bit of ranged support with some Storm[noun] infantry screening units.
With a majority of our lists really emphasizing delivering our amazing beasts to combat, the thought of them not making it to their target is a sad one. I'd like to make a list of various "difficulties" that SW might provide Legion, and how might get over each of them. Please feel free to respond to as many or as few as you'd like, but remember each trait of the Stormwall doesn't exist in a vacuum in regards to the others.
While I'm not looking at specific game sizes, realize that at medium point games, Colossals provide great Focus efficiency for the casters, and of course seem to shine just as much as the points increase.
No DOOM here, just tactics we'd like to try as these beautiful (and seemingly powerful) models hit play....
1) Its templates, Colossal power attacks, and Lightning pods are excellent anti infantry. While this is good for us, as we can get so much from our beasts, it means a normal Kallus list and/or Swordsmen charge are unlikely to be the answer against it.
2) Two high power, long range guns mean efficient focus fire on a single target. The beast mechanics are great at taking a beating and healing up to mostly full efficiency. Focus firing down one at a time is a great way to win at attrition.
3) The extra large base and immunity to movement (Bolt Throwers/Slams/etc) gives an interesting screening option for the more far away Cygnar casters (read as: MOST of them =P). Combined with its range, just "outmaneuvering it" might not be the best option as we will still be forced to move towards it, or get ranged bit by bit, scenario aside of course.
4) Mechanics ... ever so scorned by many Cygnar (or WM) players, can get many around the large base, and make our Ravagore (or rather - 2 Ravagore) vs SW trade a bad one on our side.
5) Lightning pods seem an interesting way to block charge lanes, even if not used as anti-infantry.
6) Arcane Shield will put this bad boy up to 22, to contend with our Ravagores in Shooty attrition.
6) Kara Sloan - Makes the model more accurate and can contribute a decent amount of damage. See #2, and it seems we might have a dead Carni Chassi in one round (potentially)
7) Siege - The SW range could potentially force us forward to initiate...right into his feat.
8) pHaley - We get caught not being able to charge the SW, leaving the Scythean out of the running and potentially dead if it tried to initiate.
9) pStryker has both Arcane Shield and Snipe to rotate, while his feat will make a put assassination harder and our "charge turn" much harder (19arm+3as+5feat = 27 arm).
10) Hunters - See #2, excellent focus fire for our heavies
11) Defender - See #2. Just so good at putting long range shots into the beasts.
This doesn't cover everything, just some ideas. So what are everyone's thoughts? I'm excited to have to play Shadow of the Colossus on table top and want to start planning my strategies now.