Thread: Minion Talk

Koyote

Default Minion Talk

Well, if you haven't heard by now, Minions are probably getting real warlocks. I love the feel of playing a merc army (because its unique...even if there is another merc player, good chance that they are playing a different contract). At the same time, I like the Fury system of Hordes. I have been waiting for a very long time for minion Warlocks and hopefully I don't have to wait to much longer. Well, I decided to make a thread where people can talk about their thoughts on the Field Test minions or their hopes for the future of minions (seeing how Minions don't have their own forum yet).

My thoughts on the Field Test:

Bog Trogs: Well costed and useful. Not an OMG unit, but not a completely useless one either.

Farrow Bone Grinders: I like them. For a small point cost you can get a fairly accurate magic attack, a throw away unit, and a little bit of utility.

Farrow Brigands: A ranged unit that probably will rarely ever fire. From what I've tested so far, these guys are an absolute pain to take out with ranged attacks. They aren't very scary though...and how did pigs find out how to make better guns than Cygnar?!?

Gatormen Posse: Very good vs. living opponents. Lack luster against nonliving ones. I love the addition of Durge of Mists.

Swamp Gobbers: We all knew the nerf was coming. They are still very good for 1 point.

Totem Hunter: =dead just about anything. Any game that drags out, this guy will make back his point cost and more. I can't think of a time not to take him currently because Alten still needs to die!!!

Minion Warlocks: To many special rules and to high in cost. Only one I like right now is Wrong Eye and Snapjaw. I did like how Privateer tried to add survivability to the elf, because she'd die way to easy in Mk. I.

My thoughts on the future:
    Gatormen: I'm hoping these guys get a Warlock. I can't help but like the idea of southeastern voodoo combined with the awesomeness that is Gators. Probably doesn't help that Leatherneck was my favorite Ninja Turtle character...anyway, I'm looking forward to the possibility of real Bokors and Zombies!!!

Farrow: I really like the farrow miniatures. I would love to see them come together in a farrow army.

Past that, I don't know who else would be deserving of a warlock. What do all of you think?

Weezing

I think an Ogrun Warlock would fit nicely. Since they cant be warcasters i hear.

Maybe a Nyss Warlock? Cylena is now a minion merc so she'd work with her and lanyssa, and probaly have Dahlia too.

Then of course GOBBER WARLOCK!

Kavuking

There's already a rulic lesser so why not a full. The real queation we sould be asking is how will the beasts work. Just look at the for minion beasts we have already.
    Last edited by Kavuking; 11-29-2009 at 04:40 PM.

Maybe a Troll Minion warlock... or Farrow. Privateer surprise me!
    [img]C:\Users\David\Pictures\butcherhate.jpg[/img]

Uehen

Gatorlock!
    Or a panda bear warlock?

I would like to see more gators,
    Some hippos, a gobber zepplin, and a unicorn cav solo.
    I want to stomp on denny with a unicorn!

Marth

Quote Originally Posted by Uehen View Post
    I want to impale denny on a unicorn!
    That was what I read when I thought: Welcome to the land of 1000 bad allusions. Denny couldn't even... well I'll stop before I start. If anyone wants to her some bad pun fu, PM.

modefan93

Dear PP:

I will buy a Farrow army.

The end.

moorg

Quote Originally Posted by Weezing View Post
    I think an Ogrun Warlock would fit nicely. Since they cant be warcasters i hear.
    Well, technically they can.

They just can't use Arcane magic at all. Druids, and Priests of Dhunia and the Devourer aren't really down with the whole Warjack thing. You also don't see too many Ogrun priests of Menoth, Morrow, Cyriss, Thamar or Toruk.... though it's possible.

What I can't even imagine is what kind of beasts would a minion lock have in the first place?

What animals would be cross-changeable with differing warlocks, of differing species?

Cannibalbob

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoCrusher View Post
    What I can't even imagine is what kind of beasts would a minion lock have in the first place?

A giant Dire Toad.

Koyote

I remember back in the day when it was just Magnus and Gorten and their 'jacks were not interchangable (and still aren't). I doubt that Privateer will make beasts that are useable across the board. With Minions they can do some unique stuff...the door is basically wide open to do something different. Heres 2 ideas for a Gatorman Warlock that wouldn't require creating any new warbeasts:

1) Take a page from Haitian Vodou and make a rule for minion drugged zombie warbeasts. The warlock can take non-character, non-construct, non-soulless warbeasts from the other factions. They are part of his battlegroup and count as minion warbeasts. If they frenzy outside of his control area, they snap out of their drugged state and run away (removed from game).

2) How about a Gatorman warlock that brings out the inner fury of his people? All non-character Gatormen warrior models included in an army with said warlock gains FURY 2 Threshhold 8 (and a bunch of rules that pretty much makes them opperate like lesser warbeasts without branches).

What I'd like to see happen is for Privateer to make a plastic heavy box set like the Retribution's for a given race (Gatormen, Farrow, what have you). You could get 3-4 different warbeasts and with the animus mechanic, you could get their feel and point cost spread out enough to make them unique.

Well...all I can say is I really want this guy as a warbeast for my Gator 'lock:

Gogo Heavy Gator Snapping Turtle!!!

Cannibalbob

Quote Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
    Gogo Heavy Gator Snapping Turtle!!!

I would love to see that. After they make a giant Dire Toad of course.

Koyote

Dire Toads are cool and all...

But they die way to easy to little girls...

Hmmm, what we need is some creepy, baby-eating warbeasts...

pRophaniti1978

How about a land-mobile devilsquid?

Destroyer of Worlds Drillermaniac's Avatar

That comes with 30 free Steelheads?

In my opinion PP has overcompensated some models in MK2 Hordes.

Cannibalbob

Quote Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
    But they die way to easy to little girls...

Good thing most factions don't have access to too many little girls!

Faultie

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibalbob View Post
    Good thing most factions don't have access to too many little girls!
    Yeah, but we Mercs have a plethora.

DaughterOfFrankenstein

Quote Originally Posted by Faultie View Post
    Yeah, but we Mercs have a plethora.
    That's a load of poop. We only have... Eyriss, Dahlia, Lanyssa, Sam, Alexia, Anastasia, Dannon, Meg, Fiona...

...waitaminute...

Snarl

I'm curious and guardedly excited by this about-face by PP. The "decline" of the 2 warcaster game was very beneficial to Merc casters (see the buffs pMags and pAsh got as evidence) so I think there now exists some wiggle room balance-wise to develop some very strong minion Warlocks as well. But (and you knew there was one) I am on the fence at the moment until I see how they go about things, since Minion 'beast doesn't seem to be analogous to Merc 'jack in my eyes.

Cannibalbob

Quote Originally Posted by DaughterOfFrankenstein View Post
    That's a load of poop. We only have... Eyriss, Dahlia, Lanyssa, Sam, Alexia, Anastasia, Dannon, Meg, Fiona...

...waitaminute...
    I would not really call those "little girls" more like "saucy vixens".

Weezing

for minion beast they can pretty much cover any animal that the other 4 factions havnt claimed.

Maybe the Legion beasts that were not blighted? Or more giant gators

ColdYinTiger

Fog Drake, Dune Prowler(Though Skorne will probably get that.), Maybe screechers, Raevhan Buffalos, Dracodiles, Dolomites, Urtheks might be fun. I'm more interested in fun solos like. Like a rusulka or even a character unit like Grissle and Flay. Oooo spine ripper would be a nice light beast.

I say a Gator castor is my fave simply because of the voodoo flavor to them. Though a tribal shaman for a Farrow. Or even beter a Grymkin would be a great lock.

Koyote

What exactly is a Dracodile? (guessing it comes from the IK books)

maxxev

What is a Grymkin

Weezing

Yah going through the IK books would be the best choice for PP trying to get a flavor for Minion Lists

ColdYinTiger

Dracodile is kinda like a bigger version of Snapjaw, though now that I think about it, he probably is one.

Grymkin are take all of those lovely twisted Grimm fairytales, and force it to mate with horror stories. The spawn that comes out would be the Privateer Press version of Fae. They would make awsome solo's and warlocks.

The monsternomicons seem to be where they are making all things Minions so I would look there for hints as to what we will get. Hehe some how I have a feeling the lovely black trolls will be introduced...

Faultie

I believe Snapjaw is listed as a Dracodile in his fluff. I'll have to check Metamorphosis when I get home.

mikethefish

Actually Faultie, I don't think he is listed as such. For one thing, Dracodiles are magical mutant crocodiles, and Snapjaw is an aligator. But besides that, I believe that Snapjaw is believed to be some sort of abberation, and nobody knows exactly what he is. Brine has a similar history btw.

Faultie

I think you're right, mike. For some reason, I thought I once read he was a dracodile, but maybe that was me subconsciously trying to explain his enormousness via the MN.

mikethefish

You read it because when the model was first previewed, tons of people were like "Holy crap, it's a Dracodile!!!". Unfortunately this didn't bear out lol.

Anyways, if an adult Dracodile were ever truly represented on the tabletop, the model would have to be about 12 inches long, minimum.

ColdYinTiger

I wanna see a Gorgandor, 12in base

Koyote

So a Dracodile is a giant croc? Any special powers to speak of or is it just a big bad monster?

mikethefish

Yep, it has a breath weapon that's basically a big cloud of corrosive acidic gas. Plus the whole big bad monster thing as well.

The problem with adding in a Dracodile as a Hordes monster is twofold. First, it's way too big - bigger than any jack or beast we have. Second, it's not a humanoid monster. It's very much grounded to four legs, and that would be seriously difficult to model on a large WM base.

So most likely no Dracodiles folks, sorry!

ColdYinTiger

Damn that gets rid of the thought of a Dolomite. Those things are about twice as tall as the behemoth.

Rosicrucian

I would not really call those "little girls" more like "saucy vixens".
    Looking at Anastasia's model, I'd argue she definitely qualifies as a "little girl".

Cannibalbob

Quote Originally Posted by Rosicrucian View Post
    Looking at Anastasia's model, I'd argue she definitely qualifies as a "little girl".
    I would say that Anastasia is more in the homely-woman category than the little-girl category.

Rosicrucian

I would say that Anastasia is more in the homely-woman category than the little-girl category.
    I disagree, other than being fairly static Anastasia's sculpt is quite well done. she's just tiny.

Kavuking

Gators and farrows seem like the most likely warlocks. I can see gators being all about control or denial and farrows being about fast and aggresive play.

ColdYinTiger

Crossing my fingers on my big bad Baron Samedi Gator.