Alright. This is just a small questionnaire to see how my fellow Cygnar players are handling the Stormwall and just getting the general tempo of how we are utilizing the beast.
1) How are you running your Stormwall? The kit of Mechanics and Journymen for basic buff and repairs? Running it naked, sans any support but caster? Are you adding anything new to your lists?
2) How are you protecting it? Are you letting your enemy take the swing first and tanking the hits? Running dedicated melee Screening models? Lolzing about with the Haleys?
3) What gives you the this sucks vibe to face with Stormwall? Has your meta bent towards utilizing backlash casters to gib any caster that is Captain Haley? Are you being destroyed by buffed Bronzebacks? Did the Cryx prime casters make their big reappearance to say screw your armor, my army has an effective plus 5 to damage before banes? Is Ossyan and MHSF make your day miserable?
To answer the question personally.
1) I find myself using just the basic journeyman buff, generally no Mechanics. Swordknights, Stormsmiths, and Ragman have seen a pretty big spike in play. Smiths were one point filler, but given the sexiness of pods, they've made a return that I'll occasionally ditch other models for more smiths. Swordknights, I use as my Stormwall speedbump. Basically they get to be in front of my Wall, to protect if from beast charges, etc... (Yeah its not as a good of a speed block as Boomhowlers, but what is?) Now I'm usually a Steelhead guy because I feel that the reach and lack of need to clump for Arm makes for better space control. Cause hell 3 living steelheads, control melee space as well as 6 Swordknights utilizing the buddy system. But with the Stormwall, I'm looking for pure roadblock and Arm 16/19 is better than Arm 13. The other reason I've brought back the Swordknights ties in with Ragman. Darkshroud on a model with a Cd for a base and 2 inch reach is sexy. Adding effective pow 12 weaponmasters as my screeners, to make it so that jacks or beasts, that make it to the stormwall and fail to get the kill are boned and my stormwall just continues to derp around pumping out shots, super sexy.
2) Protecting as stated with swordknight meat shield. I probably baby the jack way to much, but eh, its 19 points.
3) Nothing has gotten me super unnerved, although sniped Gorman with Dougal giving rerolls for deviation with Blackoil is pretty hilarious. Bad but hilarious.