Default Maelok WHY YOU SO HARD TO PAINT!!!

Title says it all really, just finding all the miriad little details and different surfaces and layers a real pain in the cygnus!

Any pearls of wisdom or inspirational slogans to fire me back up?

One step at a time. Never ever look at the entirety of a thing and think "zomg what have I gotten into." Just do parts. One night do the exposed bone, the next exposed muscle, etc etc.

But yeah, he's EXTREMELY intimidating to put paint to.

took me three days to paint maelok..
    dry brushing the scales in layers was pretty easy and the candle stick branches i just washed in a battlefield brown water mixture.
    As for the candles, paint the bases one color, and highlight the melted portions with whatever color you chose plus white. Adds a nice effect.

I really want to pick up Maelok and paint each scale individually for a true croc skin look.

Then I think of all the work it would be, and all the work I need to do and pass.
    Originally posted by: PPS_Simon
    "This thread sucks."

Cheers guys,

I think the painting in pieces will help

He's a highly detailed model for sure. I can't tell you how many times I thought I had finished him and found some other detail on him. But he is worth it and is one of my favorite models I have painted to date (Calaban is starting to become my favorite as I work on him).

Part of mine is drying right now next to me. Like Kromac, he is just intimidating.

Just keep going. Do it piece by piece. Wet palette would be helpful (I really need to make one) so that the colour is still ready when you inevitably find that little spot you missed.
    Currently despondent over all the pretty Goraxes that are going to be defiled by Minions players...
    For love. For honor. For Devilsquid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyHolly
    Blind me once, shame on you. Blind me twice, shame on me. Blind me thrice, whine on the internet somewhere

It isn't helping that a good chunk of my paints are stashed at the office so I can paint some stuff there too. So when I think ooh I'll paint the bone, then realise all the paints I need are at work it kinda frustrates me!!

D'oh

Basecoats and washes.

Fellio, I've painted all the scales on a Reaper Dire Crocodile individually. I started with a white undercoat followed by painting the upper half in Fortress Grey (GW paint from previous range). Then I randomly painted scales in Codex Grey, Adeptus Battle Grey followed by Chaos Black. Finished it with a wash of Devlin Mud followed by watered down Badab Black.

Thanks for all the tips guys

He will be painted!!!!

I've also been downright avoiding painting this model since it was originally released. Maybe it's finally time to drop some colors on him and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by vytzka View Post
    DURGEN MAD-FREAKING-HAMMER works for Protectorate. I can't wait to hear how his near epic respect for the chain of command and orderly conduct on the battlefield fits the universally high Menite standards.
    Mercs: ~450pts, 9 warcasters. Minions: ~240pts, 8 warlocks. Circle: ~270pts, 12 warlocks. Trolls: ~370pts, 12 warlocks. All painted.

Be paitent. Put on some engaging music or a tv show or film with good dialogue in the background.
    "I always look for a woman who has a tattoo. I see a woman with a tattoo, and I'm thinking, okay, here's a gal who's capable of making a decision she'll regret in the future."
    Richard Jeni

Cheers guys I'm using maelok as a distraction whilst batch painting my bog trogs, as they are a pain in the arse too. Didnt do anything tonight as I had my bro round for a game,

Big win for the gators

The comments are really helpful