Phew, long title! Okay, so a buddy and I just decided to take the plunge and try out Warmachine... He's a long time WH-Fantasy player (Chaos and Dark Elves, if anyone is curious), and I'm an old WH40K (Dark Angels) player, so some of the framework for WM was already there. I picked up the Khador-Menoth starter and the Cygnar battle box (Stryker, Lancer, Ironclad, and Charger), and he's happily addicted to the Retribution, although he's only purchased a few models (a heavy Myrmidon and a unit of... Dawn guard, I think?). We played a learner game between Menoth and Khador (in which my Menoth forces lost by assassination), and rapidly accumulated a horde of questions... So here I am!
My apologies in advance for the noob-ness of the questions!
1. Is there ever any point to "over Focusing" to a 'jack? A couple times I assigned one of my heavies (the one with the cannon) 3 focus, not realizing it was impossible to use all three (ROF 1, so even if I boosted RAT and damage, I was still left with one!). A newbie mistake, obviously, but was there something else I could have done with that extra Focus point now that the 'jack had it?
2. Power attacks like Trample REPLACE the normal attack, right? So I can't attack the 'jack in front of me, knock it down, and then trample over the infantry behind it? But I could, in theory, throw a model, then spend Focus for extra attacks (but not move...?). What about the Manticore's double attack? Can Nick use that instead of a normal attack for his charge attack (say no... I shudder to think of a P+S 23 boosted attack...)
3. Can I charge with a 'jack at any target within LOS? And then if I can't reach it, spend a Focus for a ranged attack?
4. Spray attacks say they don't suffer the -4 for shooting into melee... but AOE attacks still do (and scatter if they miss), right?
5. Okay, last question, and it's not really rules related. When you folks are adding troops to your armies, is there certain point thresholds you aim for? Like, I'm thinking it would be nice to get 25 points for my Cygnar and Khador armies and for Nick's Retribution, because then we could play with 10 or 15 point skirmishes and swap models out for variation, but he said that 25 points might not "break down" into balanced 10 or 15 point teams.
I know there are rules I'm forgetting that I forgot, but I'll just start another novel-length post when I remember what they are! Thanks again!