Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Zombie Annihilator
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    919

    Default Trample and linear obstacles

    This came up in a game last night. Can a Warpwolf Stalker, with pathfinder, trample over a wall? Without pathfinder it's a definite no, but we weren't sure if this was different.

  2. #2
    Eater of Brains wazatdingder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    3,895

    Default

    AFAIK, a wall does nothing to stop trample with or without pathfinder, unless you end on top of it.

  3. #3
    Zombie Annihilator
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    919

    Default

    According to the rule on War Room: "It stops if it contacts a model with a medium or larger base, an obstacle, or an obstruction". I'd assume because a wall is a linear obstacle you'd stop, but I'd also assume that Pathfinder would let you ignore the wall.

  4. #4
    Eater of Brains
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,757

    Default

    Pathfinder does let you move over low walls with your charges and power attacks.

    The description for this rule is on the Pathfinder entry itself, not the entry for terrain.

  5. #5
    Infernal Penguin Valander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime, p.34
    Pathfinder - This model can advance through rough terrain (p. 86) without penalty and can charge and make slam and trample power attacks across obstacles
    Pathfinder allows trample over obstacles.
    Infernal from 30 September 2011 to 2 April 2014

  6. #6
    Destroyer of Worlds notsoevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Curmudgeonville
    Posts
    4,382

    Default

    But a model trampling or charging over an obstacle (not a linear obstacle) still pays the penalty to move up said obstacle, correct?

    A ziggurat for example. Nothing in Pathfinder allows them to ignore the 1" up movement penalty, correct?

    Not that I play with ziggurats often, but I was wondering about this recently.

  7. #7
    Eater of Brains
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Erlangen, Germany
    Posts
    4,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by notsoevil View Post
    But a model trampling or charging over an obstacle (not a linear obstacle) still pays the penalty to move up said obstacle, correct?

    A ziggurat for example. Nothing in Pathfinder allows them to ignore the 1" up movement penalty, correct?
    That's correct.

  8. #8
    Eater of Brains
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    Linear obstacles state that non-charging advancing models can cross it at no penalty. The question is if that applies to a slamming/trampling model. Both abilities state that anything that prevents a model from charging also blocks those abilities. They don't mention being treated as charges in any other way, so it seems like a linear obstacle would not stop them - it's not an effect that prevents charging, it's an effect which stops charge movement, so with a strict interpretation of the rules you can both slam and trample over a linear obstacle. This is subject to infernal ruling, of course.

    This all assumes no pathfinder. If you have pathfinder, even charges aren't stopped by linear obstacles so tramples and slams would be fine.

  9. #9
    Eater of Brains
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    5,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheer_Falacy View Post
    Linear obstacles state that non-charging advancing models can cross it at no penalty. The question is if that applies to a slamming/trampling model. Both abilities state that anything that prevents a model from charging also blocks those abilities. They don't mention being treated as charges in any other way, so it seems like a linear obstacle would not stop them - it's not an effect that prevents charging, it's an effect which stops charge movement, so with a strict interpretation of the rules you can both slam and trample over a linear obstacle. This is subject to infernal ruling, of course.

    This all assumes no pathfinder. If you have pathfinder, even charges aren't stopped by linear obstacles so tramples and slams would be fine.
    Pathfinder would not include a wording that says you can "slam and trample across linear obstacle" if you could do so without pathfinder as well. So you need Pathfinder (or something like it, Ghostly for instance) if you want to charge, slam or trample across linear obstacles.

  10. #10
    Infernal Penguin Valander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheer_Falacy View Post
    Linear obstacles state that non-charging advancing models can cross it at no penalty. The question is if that applies to a slamming/trampling model. Both abilities state that anything that prevents a model from charging also blocks those abilities. They don't mention being treated as charges in any other way, so it seems like a linear obstacle would not stop them - it's not an effect that prevents charging, it's an effect which stops charge movement, so with a strict interpretation of the rules you can both slam and trample over a linear obstacle. This is subject to infernal ruling, of course.

    This all assumes no pathfinder. If you have pathfinder, even charges aren't stopped by linear obstacles so tramples and slams would be fine.
    Not subject to an infernal ruling, subject to the rule book:

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime, p.55
    It stops if it contacts a model with a medium or larger base, an obstacle, or an obstruction.
    That is from the trample rules. Similar is present for slams.

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime, p. 87
    An obstacle up to 1 ̋ tall but less than 1 ̋ thick, such as a wall or hedge, is a linear obstacle.
    Linear Obstacles are a sub-type of Obstacles.

    So, strict interpretation of the rules, you cannot slam or trample (or charge) over linear obstacles without an ability that allows you to do so.
    Infernal from 30 September 2011 to 2 April 2014

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •