Zombie Annihilator

Default The Other Winter Guard - Rifle Corps & Weapon Crews

I've been looking at the other (Non Deathstar) Winter Guard Units, Weapon Crews & Rifle Corps.

The Rifle Corp seem alright (and I wonder what a UA for them might look like). And both Weapon Crew's seem better than most other Faction Weapon Crews.

I'm primarily curious about the Irusks + eSorscha, but do these units have a place in many (Non Tier) Khador lists?

I use rifle corp all the time! They are amazing with joe as a mobile long ranged unit bc theyre no longer relying on aiming to hit. Theyre great with pSorscha feat (cuz they dont need joe in this case). pButchers feat makes them capable of killing a heavy jack (so long as you dont roll like butt). I take 2 units with Hark, one with joe, and the other with fortune, that gives me 20 shots a turn, that can usually hit, and a threat range of 20 inches.

The weapon crews are awesome too! The field gun is nice for pinging heavys and then use Widowmakers to take out the rest of any systems you just hurt. The mortar is amazing! 4inch aoe, pow 16, 20 range, arching fire! soooo good for killing troops. And once again, pSorscha's feat (and that one spell i forget the name of) make direct hits much easier, tho thats not a must for the mortar. And pButchers feat lays on the hurt!
    Awesome "Icekevich" avatar by Monly

"Play something before you convince yourself it sucks." -Wisible

Zombie Annihilator

Don't forget about Supressing Fire (like I always do). It's a great way to influence the game, especially at the beginning. I use it against my Cryx friend when i don't forget, and it keeps the Satyxis from running up and being in my front lines on turn 1. A POW10 isn't particularly powerful, but it can also mess with shield wall units, as they don't benefit from the effects when they take the hit (unless they manage to be in B2B at the moment they enter the field of fire.

Rifle Corps are amazing with Joe, they reliably and trivially sweep up high defense infantry, and with their long range, if there are none of those available they can try to snipe down support pieces(dying generally in the process, but when you cap all your protectorate friends choir things are good)

The Mortar is bad, not in so far that it has a bad ruleset, it's just not good enough to warrant a place on the field, compared to other choices, and since one doesn't work, and 2 is 6 points, it means they don't hit the table much. This is compounded by Conquest being amazing and taking their job away.

The Field Gun isn't horrible, just why would you take one over Widowmaker Marksman? or Kell Bailloch, or any other two point solo of usefulness, and I think this is their down fall. They are good but not as good as other choices in the same points slot.
    No Pity for the Majority

Zombie Annihilator

The only time I take a Field Gun over those two is when I'm shooting high-arm models, which is the only thing the Field Gun should be shooting at. The occasional Crit is nice, too.

Eater of Brains

I don't (yet) own the Rifle crew but it would seem that a decent infantry core could be

KA (full) + UB (10)
    Winterguard Rifles min (5) + Joe (2)
    2 FG (4)

Iron Flesh casters would seem nice to have with this to help out the Assassins act as the great tar pit they are.

I built a 25pt pButcher list around the Rifle Corp, which won me a small local event. Every game it was them over Kayazy killing the opposing caster
    Showing Support for the Motherland (1360/2000) Vs The Royal Blue (390/1750)
    Latest Achievements:Master Mechanik (50), Rank: Supreme Kommandant (50), Rank: Koldun Kommander (15)
    Tale of gamers, Journeyman thing - Ignore anything I say, 2014 win percentage is a mighty 20%

Destroyer of Worlds Hoc Est Bellum's Avatar

If the Rifle Corps had any way of ignoring Stealth, even if it was just for a turn, I would take them all the time. As it is, they're regulars, but not first choice. I actually quite like taking a min unit for suppressing fire and harrassment, rather than the full bundle + Joe.

The Mortar is good, but I've all but stopped taking them these days, as RAT3 has let me down too many times. As DemonCalibre points out, we've got some decent 4" blast options from other sources now.

I really like the field gun, possibly more so than the mortar, due to its higher accuracy and lower cost. At the same time, it is going against the WMMM for the slot, and I love that guy... Although I did take 2 field guns and a WMMM in a Strakhov list once. Nice little independant fire team.

Hark back now, unto a when,
    Khador's strength was so revered,
    Now these times shall come again,
    When I'm done you'll fear the Beard.

Zombie Annihilator

Quote Originally Posted by Hoc Est Bellum View Post
    If the Rifle Corps had any way of ignoring Stealth, even if it was just for a turn, I would take them all the time. As it is, they're regulars, but not first choice. I actually quite like taking a min unit for suppressing fire and harrassment, rather than the full bundle + Joe.
    Did someone call for a Spriggan?

The Rifle Corps was probably one of the best purchases I made this year for Khador. I just ordered 2 riflemen bits from the PP store to see how they fair as 2 Min Units. I figure if Stormwall gets it's jollies off with two 3" templates let me see how two 4" templates work. I also want to see how fire/overwatch works on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shwan View Post
    The Rifle Corps was probably one of the best purchases I made this year for Khador. I just ordered 2 riflemen bits from the PP store to see how they fair as 2 Min Units. I figure if Stormwall gets it's jollies off with two 3" templates let me see how two 4" templates work. I also want to see how fire/overwatch works on them.
    Just so you know you can only make a single template out of the rifle corps at any one time

Eater of Brains

2 min units, Tossy.
    :P

I love the tricks you can pull with Rifle. Suppression is golden - and as Hoc said, if they could ignore stealth as a mini-feat (HINT PP!!!!) I'd play 'em all the time.

Spriggan flares don't really cut it for the rifle, though, becuase they're usually shooting lots of targets. Flares are more to ker-splat one or two high value fellers.

The mortar was well out of favour with me for a long time, but they've come back in all three of my main lists. Those, though, all have significant mortar-boosting: Erusk (FFE) and pVlad (S&P) not only making them more accurate, but boosting all the damage of those nice big blast templates, and pSorscha giving them easy shots for an assassination.

The field gun never fits at 35, but at 50pts I get it a lot. 2 points doesn't just give you a field gun, it also gives you two POW12 blunderbusses on (cheaty) models that don't actually look like they're armed. The number of times I've surprised a flanking model with that... well, it's amusing. Remember you can cheerfully have one of those guys well up-field from the gun, and often even both of them (for example to go kill a stealthy who thought he was safe), but otherwise they can sit next to the gun looking all innocent, then smack out a couple of aimed shots. The field gun benefits a lot from boosting - with S&P and even the very occasional FFE or Joe boost, it's potentially an extremely accurate weapon (RAT7 with spotter), with a massive "snipe" shot (RNG 16 and POW 14) with a decent chance of knockdown from that extra dice.

A field gun is now my favourite reinforcement. It takes a lot more than 2 points to go kill it, usually.

Eater of Brains

Quote Originally Posted by Tossy View Post
    Just so you know you can only make a single template out of the rifle corps at any one time
    Is that true? What if you field TWO min units? Why wouldn't that let you put out 2 templates?

Eater of Brains

The rifle corps is possibly my favorite unit. Their crowning achievement was assassinating pDenny with the help of spriggan flares.
    "Did the legion player glance at the board and think the bombardiers were scenery perhaps? I'm pretty sure it's a common mistake. They don't really move, and nobody's ever seen them do anything." (quote from Voodoogk)

I misread it guys. Problems with skimming posts at work and assuming based on previous threads

Zombie Annihilator

RCs are beautiful.