Destroyer of Worlds captainspud's Avatar

Default Covering Fire while engaged?

Can an engaged Cyclone use its Covering Fire *Action while engaged? Intuitively it doesn't seem like it should be able to, but the power doesn't specify "not while engaged", and I can't find anything like that in the *Action rules. My thinking is it might be disallowed based on the *Action being attached to a ranged weapon, which can't be used in melee, but I can only find rules that prevent that weapon from ATTACKING in melee, not from using its other abilities.

This is one of those weird situations where I and everybody else I've spoken to are almost positive of what the ruling's supposed to be ("no"), but we can't find any rules that say it's thus.
    The ignorant must be beaten with the Mallet of Wisdom until their heads are swollen and inflamed with knowledge.
    Check out my new blog, Captain Spud Is Amazing, where I post things on the schedule of "Whenever something's finished."
    My Painting/Conversion Thread | Full Privateer Release Schedule

Destroyer of Worlds

Covering Fire works fine while engaged. Has been that way for Suppressing Fire (Long Gunner UA) for years, too.

Confirmation by an Infernal.
    Last edited by vintersbastard; 02-26-2010 at 05:36 AM.

Keep in mind that LOS rules apply for the placement of the template(s).
    ?Good tactics can save even the worst strategy. Bad tactics will destroy even the best strategy.?

-General George S. Patton

Destroyer of Worlds captainspud's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Khador_Rage View Post
    Keep in mind that LOS rules apply for the placement of the template(s).
    Do they, though? From what I've been able to interpret, models only block LOS to other models; you can't say a line of small-based models blocks my line of sight, because I could see a medium- or large-based model if it was standing behind them. They only block line of sight to certain models, not all line-of-sight in general.

Or am I reading that wrong?
    The ignorant must be beaten with the Mallet of Wisdom until their heads are swollen and inflamed with knowledge.
    Check out my new blog, Captain Spud Is Amazing, where I post things on the schedule of "Whenever something's finished."
    My Painting/Conversion Thread | Full Privateer Release Schedule

Covering and Suppressing Fire both ignore models for LoS. It says so right on the cards.

Isn't Dual Covering Fire fall under the catagory of a Ranged Weapon since it comes from the ranged weapon "Metal Storm"?

Aren't Ranged Weapons restricted on use while the model is engaged? Page 56 MKII, last sentence of 3rd paragraph under RANGED COMBAT "A model in melee cannot make ranged attacks."

By that same line of thinking it would seem like the Suppressing Fire Order wouldn't be able to be used by Long Gunners that are in melee.

Just wondering.
    -Rosencrantz

Eater of Brains

Covering fire is not a ranged attack, however. Yes, it falls under the weapon, but it is a *Action, not a *Attack. That difference is what allows it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianide
    All hail Weaselcreature, Destroyer of Worlds! May he be swift as he exacts judgment upon us.

Thanks, I see the hole in it now that I've gone back through that section of the book. I was confusing the part in the rules that say a special attack action is the same as whatever weapon generated it. But if it is just a special action then it isn't an attack, no matter how much it seems like an attack, considering it is still a bunch of bullets flying out of a weapon to kill targets.

I wonder if that was a mistake and the creators meant to make it a special attack or if the intent was to make it so it could spray bullets while engaged in melee.

Either way, until it is, if ever, errated it is clear that it can be done in melee.

Thanks,
    -R