Default Hexmap Campaigning? Warmachine Conquest Campaign? Other Campaigns?

We're thinking about testing the Warmachine Conquest Campaign: http://www.heroicrealms.com/pdfs/warmachine.pdf

Have you tried it? What's your overall impression?
    What about your Hordes players? Which faction rules did you add for them?

Do you know other hexmap based campaigns for Warmachine&Hordes?

Looking forward to read any thoughts on this topic!

Haven't played this one, we've made up our own campaigns in our game group and played larger battles in zones based on maps. Here is our last map we played on adapted from the gnarls campaign map:

As an example, we integrated super weapons that could be used when a battle was adjacent to your HQ. Warjack factories were -1 to the cost of 1 warjack, when fighting in or adjacent if controlled, and towns/cities were -1 to the cost of 1 unit. Terrain had to roughly match the map, and HQ battles were more like a siege to blow up objective buildings. Simple, but fun grand scale gaming.
    In the GTA, Playing Cygnar, Making terrain and stuff, boardgamesminisandmore.blogspot.ca

PM seems to be broken, these might be useful:

In the GTA, Playing Cygnar, Making terrain and stuff, boardgamesminisandmore.blogspot.ca

Thanks for your answers and maps, although we really want to go with those available hex maps.

But which rules are you using for those maps? Which scenarios do you play?

We wrote our own ruleset for campaign play. We played games in rounds, with initiative going to the losers. They would choose a region of the map to assault, and then the maps special locations would determine buffs and use of super weapons. The terrain would also determine the kind of terrain on the map.

Maps with strategic objectives included 3 buildings with assigned stats, HQ's would have 3 buildings, representing the superweapons, and were 16" at furthest point from the defending side. Other battles were determined by rolling for scenario on steamroller.

We never did set a victory condition, but throughout the campaign we kept track of how many points destroyed, victories by scenario and victories by caster-kill. It added a layer of incentive to play.

I liked the hex-map campaign rules described on http://ik-campaigns.wikispaces.com/.
    For our group I even went so far to try to hunt down any errata and improvements the original writers had made, incorporated some random ideas of other campaigns, and added specific regions for all the league models, that have been published by PP so far. All of this bundled in a nice PDF, that I could send to you via eMail (no free web-space; also PP-material in the PDF, so I wouldn't like to distribute it openly).

So, I have found hexmap campaigns to be difficult to run with more than 4 people or so (mostly because someone almost always drops out).

At our local shop, we are doing a division-based league/campaign right now (think Football or Baseball conferences) that has 22 people (not including myself, since I am running it). You can see the current status and results here: http://sustainedattack.wordpress.com...odger-bowl-ii/ along with the rules. This is the second one we have done, and the first one had 12 players. So far, people are really enjoying it (although it has only been one week!)

One of the nice things is that people are only agreeing to one game a week, and if they need to reschedule they can, as long as they let the organizer know. The problem I have always seen with the map-based campaigns is that someone always ends up with like 12 games to play (or whatever) in a specific week. I haven't figured out a good way to handle that, despite running over a dozen of them over the years. If someone has a good idea for that, I would be interested to know.
    I post under the moniker Red Manatee at Sustained Attack.

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarPP View Post
    I liked the hex-map campaign rules described on http://ik-campaigns.wikispaces.com/.
    All of this bundled in a nice PDF, that I could send to you via eMail (no free web-space; also PP-material in the PDF, so I wouldn't like to distribute it openly).
    Cool, thanks. Didn't know about the Iron Kingdoms Campaign. - Just sent you my address and I'm looking forward to read your document.

Quote Originally Posted by dungeongod View Post
    So, I have found hexmap campaigns to be difficult to run with more than 4 people or so (mostly because someone almost always drops out).
    For sure, that's a risk. We're a small (12) but strong player group meeting every week. We want to give it a try at least.

At our local shop, we are doing a division-based league/campaign right now (think Football or Baseball conferences) that has 22 people (not including myself, since I am running it). You can see the current status and results here: http://sustainedattack.wordpress.com...odger-bowl-ii/ along with the rules. This is the second one we have done, and the first one had 12 players. So far, people are really enjoying it (although it has only been one week!)
    Nice. That'd be another option. But we've decided to go for something hex map based: we really want to include a meta game.

One of the nice things is that people are only agreeing to one game a week, and if they need to reschedule they can, as long as they let the organizer know. The problem I have always seen with the map-based campaigns is that someone always ends up with like 12 games to play (or whatever) in a specific week. I haven't figured out a good way to handle that, despite running over a dozen of them over the years. If someone has a good idea for that, I would be interested to know.
    I hope we'll be able to handle this. One game per week (on the map) is fine for everyone and we're going to give a try.

Quote Originally Posted by @Kriegsspiele View Post
    We're thinking about testing the Warmachine Conquest Campaign: http://www.heroicrealms.com/pdfs/warmachine.pdf

Have you tried it? What's your overall impression?
    What about your Hordes players? Which faction rules did you add for them?

Do you know other hexmap based campaigns for Warmachine&Hordes?

Looking forward to read any thoughts on this topic!
    Are there rules for the Hordes factions for the setup in your link?

Quote Originally Posted by Johaad View Post
    Are there rules for the Hordes factions for the setup in your link?
    I haven't found any for starting: But as the rules say you're playing with 35p lists generally, I think we'll start with 35p as well (if we're going to use these rules - no decision yet).
    Last edited by @Kriegsspiele; 10-20-2012 at 11:19 PM.

I'll try the material in your original post when I get the time.

As for other warmachine campaigns, I wrote my own, and we're currently testing it (well, we'll be back testing it since everybody got a summer break) to make improvements. [If you want, we can chat about this on Sat. when we meet at the Bunker Brawl]

I'll always be rooting for an official MK-2 campaign system, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Marth View Post
    I'll try the material in your original post when I get the time.
    We're thinking about using it without the special faction rules: it'd make the meta game easier and spare adding additional rules for Hordes.

As for other warmachine campaigns, I wrote my own, and we're currently testing it (well, we'll be back testing it since everybody got a summer break) to make improvements. [If you want, we can chat about this on Sat. when we meet at the Bunker Brawl]
    Yes, please. I'm very interested in listening to your thoughts on your own campaign rules! - And I'm really looking forward to meet you at the Bunker Brawl finally: With some luck we might even get a shared game. ... What about a Khador final?

I'll always be rooting for an official MK-2 campaign system, though!
    Hopefully, it'll come true sooner or later! - Privateer Press has so many great options to add cool additional rules to MKII: 1. I'm really looking forward to read the SR2013 rules and scenarios. 2. I'm hoping for some official rules for small skirmish games with special scenarios (caster + <10 points on about 24*24'' boards). 3. And - last but not least - I'm especially hoping for a great meta game, best would be a map based campaign in my opinion!

Cool! Steam-Powered Gamer has released the "Building the Iron Kingdoms" campaign rules.

On first sight they look highly interesting - although I'm not sure if I like the decoupling of the map and the game?

Oh wow, that looks amazing actually. I like that conquering territories is all done off of a spendable resource. Every time my group tries to play a map based campaign we end up with a week where one of use has to meet and play 6 games and someone else doesn't have any games scheduled; it will be a lot easier to just put a max games per week cap in place with this system.
    Model Usage in Masters Lists SR2014 - Cygnar Edition
    My goal for 2014: Play at least a game a week. 3 Caster Challenge (play only 3 casters for a couple of months)
    Games played: 19 of 52+
    Current Casters: Stryker2, Siege, Haley2

In case you might be interested, here's my original ruleset.

http://paintyominis.com/campaigns/wa...ampaign-rules/

Feel free to comment and give me your thoughts (good and bad).