Thread: new faction

Default new faction

So let me start by saying I am a troll player. I also have faction ADD and tend to be a non conformist. I recently picked up a skorne battlebox thinking that this would be my second faction and then there was a skorneaplosion at my shop that instantly made me recoil. Now Circle was my first choice to start with but my PG pointed out that there was no troll players at my store which seemed like a challenge to me.

Ok back to the point I really like circles playstyle of being all nimbly bimbly and I think kromac is amazing! Are there any casters or units I should be looking at? I am slowly making my way through your massive tactica section just wondering if you guys had any short cuts? Thanks in advance.
    The official unofficial quality control inspector of removed from play.

Quote Originally Posted by blazepoet View Post
    Yup. That was exactly what I was playing and quite a few times at templecon I got the, "Um, what unit is that?"
    *pause* "Trolls have artillery?" *pause* "Really?"

Conqueror

Jumping from tree branch to tree branch. Kromac is awesome and Ghetorix is his best friend. (no you cannot make him from the kit that comes with the starter box so don't bother asking) Add other beasts to flavor battlegroup and full bloodtrackers with Nuala and you have a great start.
    So I can type anything I want right here?

IMO, the beasts/units you take will inform your caster selection. Kromac+ nimbly bimbly = Living Warbeasts and probably some form of ranged shooting unit to support.

I'd say start out with a unit of bloodtrackers(plus Nuala), a Gorax, and a couple of warpwolves(start with Feral & WW Stalker) as your first additions...oh, and don't forget the shifting stones. From there, that gives you an entry into several other casters. Both Kayas will handle those models famously, and are quintessential nimbly bimbly Circle. pKreuger can work with that stuff too, although the Trackers kind of overlap with his infantry hate(he's also kind of a boring caster to play, IMO).
    Mohsar/Cassius/eKreuger will probably want a geomancer and some other support units, but are all super fun to play as well. If you go for these guys, I'd suggest picking up Megalith and a pack of Gallows groves as your next investment.

Druids of Orboros are a hotly debated unit which people either love or hate. They are rather fun to play, and very annoying to play against(a plus!). I'd recommend proxying them before committing, though.

That's pretty much the meat and potatoes of our faction; beyond that, it's all adding spice to taste.

The Baldurs, Morvana, and Grayle are going to want more specialized builds, IMO, so those would be the warlocks I'd shy away from to start, unless you're really into them.

*edit: semi-ninja'd(by an actual ninja!). I'd strongly recommend a Warpwolf Stalker before Ghetorix. The WWS is Kromac's true BFF.

Quote Originally Posted by Gdead909 View Post
    So let me start by saying I am a troll player. I also have faction ADD and tend to be a non conformist. I recently picked up a skorne battlebox thinking that this would be my second faction and then there was a skorneaplosion at my shop that instantly made me recoil. Now Circle was my first choice to start with but my PG pointed out that there was no troll players at my store which seemed like a challenge to me.

Ok back to the point I really like circles playstyle of being all nimbly bimbly and I think kromac is amazing! Are there any casters or units I should be looking at? I am slowly making my way through your massive tactica section just wondering if you guys had any short cuts? Thanks in advance.
    Kinda funny you said non conformist and then said OMG I love Kromac. If you said I am a non conformist and I love Grayle I could take this more serious Dave. lol As far as movement stuff though Kromac, eKrueger, Cassius, etc all have some movement stuff that isn't based on stones or heavily stone man themed. I just got a second unit of stones for my Kromac list. Lots of fun playin this Circle stuff. lol
    "You'd be a lot better at this game if you weren't so terrible."

Very good description by Nardman!

I'd also make make sure to get (or make) shifting stones from the beginning, since they play a central role in a lot of Circle's options, tricks and tactics.

Oh btw, I've been lurking for a while on this forum. Plenty of interesting opinions, thanks for that

Edit: corrected myself :P
    Last edited by Deckard; 10-29-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Do you think the 2 player battle box is worth it if I have someone to split it with?
    The official unofficial quality control inspector of removed from play.

Quote Originally Posted by blazepoet View Post
    Yup. That was exactly what I was playing and quite a few times at templecon I got the, "Um, what unit is that?"
    *pause* "Trolls have artillery?" *pause* "Really?"

Quote Originally Posted by Gdead909 View Post
    Do you think the 2 player battle box is worth it if I have someone to split it with?
    For models vs. money, definitely. For gaming... Well, I am strong believer in people starting at the Battle box level when they are a new player... but you aren't. I would say that the two player set has some very nice models, but not necessarily ones that you will use a lot. I'd start with what you think is cool instead. Kromac is a good starter caster I think. So is pBaldur.

Conqueror

The 2 player battle box is worth it, though the models you get won't be 100% useful in all lists. It does come with a feral (which can be a good beat stick), Kaya1 (who really gives you a sense of the nimbly wimbly timey wimey.. err.. movement shenanigans that Circle is capable of, but really only in lower point games ... read 25 and under, 35 is doable). The Skinwalkers are durable, don't kill much, and are useful in a Kaya1 tier list. I've used them to tie up heavies for a turn or so, but I don't often find use for them (gators cost 1 point more and offer double the amount of attacks, plus some fun abilities), though the Warp Born Alpha UA that's coming out for them might do something crazy and make them really sought after (it happened with Errants before). The Winter Argus plays a lot better than it looks on paper (his Animus is useful for holding objectives, annoying Sorsha1, and helping out some casters, like Grayle). He's fairly good at holding objectives or being a nuisance, and has a surprising amount of boxes for a Circle Light. The regular Argus doesn't get as much love, his animus is situational but sometimes useful. You do get a lot of bang for your buck if you split it with someone.

Aside from that, units that tend to be useful are Tharn Bloodtrackers are quite useful (especially with Nuala). I'm a fan of the Woldstalkers, as they are pretty versatile and not quite as susceptible to blast damage as the Bloodtrackers. Warpwolves of various flavors are also really great, I'd recommend getting at least a Stalker and Ghetto if you plan on running Kromac, they are monstrous with him (heh).

One way or the other, no matter what caster you go with, I'd HIGHLY recommend picking up Shifting Stones and UA (plus maybe a second unit). They're cheap in both points and dollars, and do a lot for the faction.

Kromac is also a great caster, and the Wilding Way has some great tacticas on him. But a good Kromac list is made up of a at least four things: Warp Wolves of various sorts (I use Ghetto and Stalker), a unit that can trigger Warpath easily (BloodTrackers or 2 units of Woldstalkers work good), some stones for teleporting/healing/annoyingness, and Kromac. I don't think Kromac needs Druids because he has his own large Countermagic bubble, and they don't kill enough to trigger warpath, but it is worthwhile to think about them because of the movement (pushmepullyou) they offer the army to pull heavies out of position.