Thread: Black Menoth

Default Black Menoth

I'm about to start painting my Protectorate of Menoth army and I think I'd like to use a mostly black theme, with white, gold and (very little) red trim. Has anyone out there tried a similar scheme? And if you do, do you have pictures? I'd love to see how they turned out.

This will be my first mostly black army, and I'm a little worried about highlighting the black. If you've done black before, do you have any suggestions? Right now, my plan is to start with a black base coat, then use zenithal airbrushing to highlight it with a charcoal/black mix. In theory, that should give me a nice blue-black base. Or I could start with black and highlight it with a grey/lack mix (for neutral highlights) or a cryx bane base/black mix (for a slightly warmer tint). Again, if you have experience with this, I would love to hear some suggestions.
    This is my first visit to the Galaxy of Terror, and I'd like it to be a pleasant one.

Annihilator

Black is a little bit tricky to shade well. You're better off doing a dark grey theme, VERY dark grey though.

There has been a few black schemed menoth and they look quite nice

For painting black I recommend handcannononline. They have at least 2 articles on how to paint black cloth and black armor with many pictures ! .. and just generally good site for all things painting.

I have a small Menoth army I painted in black with white/burgundy snd silver for a journeyman league. I don't have pics, but I can try and take some later.

I started with Thamar black and then for highlights I mixed in some exile blue, then Cygnar blue and finally Cygnar Blue highlight for the edges. After that wash with Black and it comes out pretty decent. I like highlighting with blue rather than grey simply because it add a little more pop than grey.

If I had to do it again I would probably start with Coal Black instead of Thamar Black to keep it all in the blue family. The black wash would keep it dark enough to look like black.
    The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

NYC Messageboard

I did something really similar:

I used this method for the black:
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...-in-6-steps%29
    My Epic Butcher Tactica
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomThoughts, Calcifar, Jamie P, SmellyTerror, Noble_Rain, and Killax View Post
    jdeckert is always right

Destroyer of Worlds squidstudios's Avatar

I liked the way this turned out so well that I started incorporating it slowly into the rest of my forces. Also, this pic makes it look a little more blue than it actually is.

My painted models (The studio is for music.)

Destroyer of Worlds kommander_redfinger's Avatar

If you have access to the "Forces of Khador" book, the recipe in there for painting black is probably the most simple I have seen and used. I recently painted up eFeora in a black scheme. I am thinking about doing it for the rest for the rest of the army. Black armor, red cloth, gold trim and blue glows and accents. Here is how it turned out;

Here is another photo, gives you an idea a bit better of the shading;

Blue gas fire, I like it!

Warrior