Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Destroyer of Worlds jonconcarne's Avatar

Default My Terminus Conversion - WIP

So I just got my own Terminus model finally. The only thing I have a major problem with is the head. So I'm looking to either buy another bit/part for the head, or to sculpt a new one out of GS.

Here are my thoughts with links to models I can buy or just use as a reference.

Machine Wraith Head
    Skull with Helm
    Undead Werewolf
    Rotting Flesh Zombie head

Other than the head, I'm going to do the usual that I've seen on the forums. That is, flip the sword around and make his wings more tattered. I don't have anything else planned yet, but I'm just trying to find either a decent head that I can get or just use as a reference.

Also, any Terminus conversions you have as an example would be fun to see too. I saw a lot in the "Conversion Thralls" thread, but more is always good.
    The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanctjud View Post
    I am the Pedobear of the forums, except I spout out "MOAR BANEZ" instead of "FREE CANDY"!

I've seen conversions done with a machine wraith head that looked good. A potential problem with the other ones you linked will be not being large enough, or looking a bit odd. I can't really see Terminus with a rotted wolf head.

I had more of an issue with the 'omg I gotta take a dump RIGHT NOW' pose than his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Kage View Post
    I've seen conversions done with a machine wraith head that looked good. A potential problem with the other ones you linked will be not being large enough, or looking a bit odd. I can't really see Terminus with a rotted wolf head.

I had more of an issue with the 'omg I gotta take a dump RIGHT NOW' pose than his head.
    Yah, the size will definitely be an issue. That's why I was thinking of using it as a reference for sculpting my own. The werewolf head is interesting to me cause it looks like a combo of rotting flesh + transformation into a dragon head.

The "take a dump" pose is easily changed into a prepatory crouch for a lunge by just flipping his sword around. At least, as far as I've seen. I'll post pics up here of my work, but I prolly won't get to it until Thursday or Friday night. I'm trying to get my bloodgorgers together/painted first.
    I am the Pedobear of the forums, except I spout out "MOAR BANEZ" instead of "FREE CANDY"!

I completely hacked my Terminus apart, and was going to make him stand upright to look more like the concept art. I can't find the pics, but it's a conversion I never finished, and now that I'm getting back into the game, I'm going to dust that off and see about finishing it up.

Im replacing my Terminus head with a GW Daemon Prince head. Its exactly the right size and with a bit of cutting I should be able to make it fit perfectly where the old head is. I'll post a pic once I get it done.

It's not easy to keep pulling rabbits out of the hat, dosing them up with murder drugs and throwing them at someone's face, but it's immensely rewarding if you have a good aim and enough rabbits. --Kaptain Von--

I chopped up Terminus completely, and I cut off his lower jaw and sculpted and entirely new lower jaw for him. It looks pretty good, I think
    Valander! Don't click "View Post"! Just. Dont.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldarionn View Post
    Im replacing my Terminus head with a GW Daemon Prince head. Its exactly the right size and with a bit of cutting I should be able to make it fit perfectly where the old head is. I'll post a pic once I get it done.
    yes! that's a great head. Did you just have that head lying around, or did you order it from their online store?

Quote Originally Posted by Hjelmen0 View Post
    I chopped up Terminus completely, and I cut off his lower jaw and sculpted and entirely new lower jaw for him. It looks pretty good, I think
    Do you have painted pics yet? I saw your conversion in the other thread, but my main problem with the model is the eyes... Maybe I can just sculpt a Machine Wraith like visor over his bug-eye visor.
    Last edited by jonconcarne; 03-02-2010 at 10:29 AM.

I haven't painted him yet, but I can say that there aren't any eyes on my model I sculpted over the eye-plate so that it's a full plate with no eyeholes.

He's on the top of my cryx-painting list, but unfortunately there's a whole Searforge army in the works before that

I haven't painted him yet, but I can say that there aren't any eyes on my model I sculpted over the eye-plate so that it's a full plate with no eyeholes.

He's on the top of my cryx-painting list, but unfortunately there's a whole Searforge army in the works before that
    I think you've made up my mind for me. As awesome as a demon-prince head would be, this way I won't have to buy any new bits/models. Plus, if my sculpting powers turn out to be the suck this week, I can just order another head anyways. Well, now I know what I'm doing tonight... painting bloodgorgers and sculpting on the original head.

Good times. I knew there was a reason that I frequent these forums. Thanks for the help guys. I'll prolly start turning this into a WIP for my progress on my Terminus model then.

Good luck with the big guy! Let us know how it works out

If I were to use one for a Terminus head, I'd use the zombie with the top hat from the urban zombies (last link). I think that would look awesome on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ger View Post
    IT'S THE MOTHERLAND QUICK GET IN THE CAR!

Destroyer of Worlds

I used the Eldritch Demon head from Reaper for a Cthulu-ian (?!) look.

It is about the right size an gives him a more menacing, hunched over look as the tentacles hang straight down.

Destroyer of Worlds

Didn't realize I had picts...

Quote Originally Posted by jonconcarne View Post
    yes! that's a great head. Did you just have that head lying around, or did you order it from their online store?
    I bought a Chaos Daemon Prince a loooong time ago and did a mash-up with a Balrog for a custom winged Daemon Prince. It has the tail, left arm and wings of the Balrog, the body of the 4th edition Chaos Daemon Prince and the head of an old school 2n'd edition Hive Tyrant. I still have the figure somewhere, its badass. Never painted it though.

It's not easy to keep pulling rabbits out of the hat, dosing them up with murder drugs and throwing them at someone's face, but it's immensely rewarding if you have a good aim and enough rabbits. --Kaptain Von--

So here's what I've got with Termy's head so far. I think I may rip this version of the visor off to file down Termy's head underneath it. The visor is sitting to high I think. I like what I've got with the lower half so far though.

I like it and might steal the general direction of the idea :P

I have 2 rackham models (Abberition prime) for which I have 3 or 4 leftover heads in a similar style. May have to rip the head of terminus and exchange it for one of those...

Link to see the style of the head: http://store.rackham-e.com/fr/product/988

Very nice! Keep it up, and thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the encouragement.

It's taking me a little longer to get started on the rest of the model because I had some trouble getting the previous owner's glue off of all the joints. Apparently GS doesn't exist for him, so any gap filling was done with superglue, and SimpleGreen just didn't touch his superglue. I'm currently soaking the pieces right now to get off any residual glue, then I should be starting on Terminus again. In the meantime, I've been working on the Bloodgorgers and Gerlak for my pGaspy list, so hopefully I'll finish them sometime too.

Well, let's start with the painting that's kept me from my Terminus conversion. I give to you, Gerlak and his Bloodgorgers!

I'm not entirely happy with how they turned out individually, but as a unit, I can't complain. I spent way too much time working on them last week. That turned into me just rushing through to finish them in the past two days so that they'd be done in less than a week. I find things like mold lines on some, and shoddy brush work on others, but overall... I can't complain too much.

Now, back to my Terminus conversion. I've already posted my sculpting of the new head for Termy, but there are other problems with the model. ie the pose of the sword hand and the squat. I sawed off the sword from his hand, so I'll have some sculpting to do there. As of now, at least the sword is back in one piece.

So I need to reattach it to his arm, as well as sculpt on the grip of the weapon and the hand to hold it. The reattaching it to his arm will probably be the hard part considering how much pewter I lopped off of the grip.

On to the body/stance. I still need to figure out some way to position the left leg so it doesn't look so awkward. The foot in the air (pictured below) just doesn't seem quite right, but neither does having it on the edge of the base there.

Last but not least, a look at why I need to be more careful when drilling pins. You can end up with something totally off-balance.

I'll be working to try and correct most of the stance issues over the course of the week, but any suggestions would be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconcarne View Post
    I'll be working to try and correct most of the stance issues over the course of the week, but any suggestions would be welcome.
    Lean him forward. It should be possible for you to lean the whole body forward so that it looks like he's charging. The right foot will be behind him and the left one will be out in front on the edge of the base.

Yeah, I sort of like the Alien head style thing, too. I might have to borrow that myself, for my own Termy.

Great ideas here.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Vader View Post
    Lean him forward. It should be possible for you to lean the whole body forward so that it looks like he's charging. The right foot will be behind him and the left one will be out in front on the edge of the base.
    Thanks! After messing around with the pieces tonight, you definitely have a good idea there. I got some work on him done tonight. That forward lean makes a world of difference.

So after thinking about D.Vader's suggestion, here's what I've come up with. I actually like it a lot. (Note: pics link to hi-res versions).

Hopefully, once I pin his wings on, it'll look like he's bounding/charging forward.

Thankfully, now that I've finished all my sculpting, the pinning of the wings will be the last thing that I'll need to deal with before I start priming and painting.

Speaking of sculpting, I've finished the sword grip and attached hand.

While I'm not entirely happy with how the fingers turned out, at least it's all recognizable and done.

I'm still debating about whether or not to take my dremel to the wings to try to tatter them up more, but I at this point, I think I'm just going to leave them as is. You'll find out in the next few days, whatever I decide.

If you don't like how the fingers turned out, you could always make an armored basket similar to the dagger on pVlad.
    You never go axe to mouth!

Wrt. the resculpted fingers:
    I've done the same, and because my skillz aren't mad enough at sculpting, I made the fingers into an armoured gauntlet on his left hand, and painting his right hand in the normal undeady colours.
    That kinda covers up my lousy sculpting skills

Wrt. the resculpted fingers:
    I've done the same, and because my skillz aren't mad enough at sculpting, I made the fingers into an armoured gauntlet on his left hand, and painting his right hand in the normal undeady colours.
    That kinda covers up my lousy sculpting skills
    I figured that was a possibility. The other is just saying that he's deteriorating so much that his fingers just look crappy.

I'll probably just keep it the way it is and try and mask my beginning sculpting skills with my amateur painting skills. lol. I'm too lazy to try and sculpt it all over again.

A possible idea for his wings. There's this small nub on the body that is suppose to help hold them in place. You can actually place a pin through the gear portion at the base of the wing and then use the nub as additional support to make the wings more horizontal rather than vertical. I did that with mine and it made him appear more active. For what it's worth, I'd suggest dremeling out the wings for added holes.

I like the conversion quite a bit. I did a lot of similar things when he first came out. I'm redoing him now, I might have to steal your sword idea.

Well, again, I've taken D. Vader's advice, and aimed for a more horizontal alignment with Terminus' wings. I've managed to pin on Terminus' wings last night, as well as getting some gesso primer on him. I tattered up the wings before I pinned them on, but I forgot to smooth some of the back edges out, so I will need to work on that a bit more. Here's a view of the slightly more tattered wings. It's not as drastic as some work I've seen on here, but I still want to keep some material for his wings.

The more I work on this model, the more that I like how it's coming out. I really don't care for the model as it comes straight out of the box, but with a little extra work, he comes out looking pretty good.

I found that I'm going to have to cut the arm in the middle of the sleeve to rotate the bend of the elbow. My repositioning of the wings left them blocking the shoulder pad for the sword arm. Hopefully it won't take too much GS to make it look seamless. Regardless, the arms are going on after I paint the rest of the body. Hopefully I can get at least all of the basecoats painted on him tonight, then work with repositioning and pinning the arms.

makes me want to sell off my current Terminus and build a new one

Quote Originally Posted by blakeh1 View Post
    makes me want to sell off my current Terminus and build a new one
    You could just drop it in a vat of your favorite cleaning fluid and try it that way. I got this off of bartertown, assembled. I had to get off all the craptons of superglue that it was held together with. Should be doable unless your Terminus has a lot of bent/stress pieces.

Default Flying Dragonman of Dooooom

So I finally finished my Terminus conversion. I say finally only because he's taken longer than anything I've done in the past 2-3 months, although he still only took me 8 days or so to finish. Regardless, less than 2 weeks from start to finish, so I can't complain too much.

Links to bigger pics: Front, Left, Back, Right

Front:

Left:

Back:

Right:

Overall, I'm happy with the conversion, less so with the painting. Only reason it looks decent at all is thanks to the GW washes. I have a few very minor things left to do: aka clean the extra flock of the base edge, gloss coat & matte coat. Anyways, C&C always welcome. Lemme know what you think.

Conqueror

That is hawt. A tip of my hat to you sir.
    Models destroyed by Choir free strikes: Totem Hunter, War Dog.

I LOVE IT!

You have done basically everything I want to with my own but have been him hawing about on because my sculpting skills are, ah, non-existent. (I can gapfill and that's about it...)

I'm book marking this page. I have an unassembled Terminus sitting right here on my desk that I picked up on sale from the LGS. I've been debating if I just want to build him and go with whatever happens or if I want to be ambitious. I think I'm gonna' be ambitious and try to emulate your work here.
    Is that another errata proposal thread I see? Sigh...

For love. For honor. For Devilsquid.

Quote Originally Posted by Alviaran View Post
    I LOVE IT!

You have done basically everything I want to with my own but have been him hawing about on because my sculpting skills are, ah, non-existent. (I can gapfill and that's about it...)

I'm book marking this page. I have an unassembled Terminus sitting right here on my desk that I picked up on sale from the LGS. I've been debating if I just want to build him and go with whatever happens or if I want to be ambitious. I think I'm gonna' be ambitious and try to emulate your work here.
    well, few tips for hacking stuff apart. Watch how things fit in the shoulder joints. I had a few issues making all the pieces fit earlier today when I was putting it all together at once. Everything fit individually, but not at the same time. Also, I had to repose his sword arm yesterday when I found out that it didn't work with where I had repositioned the wings.

As for sculpting skills, I'm still got my green status there. I haven't done too much yet. This project has been by far the most sculpting that I've done. Basically, this included the sword hilt/hand and a section on his back to make some plate mail to fill a large gap. I was scared to do it before I started, but it ended up looking ok. I'm not happy with either incarnation of the sword hand, but I like my sword grip a lot better now than my first try.

*shrug* try, try again. That's about all there is to it. (well, besides keeping sculpting tools wet, and only doing general shapes in the first 30 min of mixing, and then attempting details after it has had some time to harden).

I knew the keeping tools wet, but the general shapes first, then wait half an hour to do details is one of those little things I have NEVER heard anywhere. Thanks for the tip.
    Is that another errata proposal thread I see? Sigh...

For love. For honor. For Devilsquid.

Very, very nice Jon! I'm impressed that it's taken you such a short time from concept to finished product!

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the WIP reports!

That looks GREAT!!! It actually looks like it should be an abomination. The pose makes me look at mine and I kinda cry a bit on the inside.
    Fantasy 8th edition is the best thing to happen to Privateer Press.

Annihilator

What I can see is pretty good, but those pictures are Small - could you link larger ones, please?

Menites: 190/192 Cygnar: 78/100 Trollbloods: 85/98. eStryker, JR Stryker.

F-awesome! I'm just wandering how on earth can you transport this?
    And yes this made me cry some to.

Quote Originally Posted by Parintachin View Post
    What I can see is pretty good, but those pictures are Small - could you link larger ones, please?
    lol, there are links, but here they are again.

Links to bigger pics (768x1024): Front, Left, Back, Right

also, my flickr account is here.

Thanks for the kind words everybody. Overall, I'm very happy with how it turned out. There are just little things that I haven't done that frustrate me with the painting. ie paint a green glow in every vent, pick out every metal rivet, etc. Basically all little things that I was too tired to do.

As far as transport, I have no idea yet, but it will have to be custom somehow. I pinned a lot of the things on here, so that's a start, but it'll definitely have to be custom.

@Hjelmen0, the only reason this seems so fast is that I was up till 2am most nights last week working on it. It probably took me around 20-30 hours to do I think...maybe more. The only other model that took me nearly that long is the DJ. If I were to paint it to the best of my ability, I'd probably need another 10 hours, lol.

Again, thanks for all the kind words from everybody.
    Last edited by jonconcarne; 03-15-2010 at 06:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast