Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default 2013 WTC final table 1: Khador ’jack factory

Like all of my stories here, this one starts with my friend Maudlin and me having a conversation on chat, while we were both supposed to be working.

So he goes: Hey, have you seen the final table for warmachine weekend this year? It looked so cool!

Then I go: Wow, that looks really cool. I would love to try and make something as cool as that.

Then he goes: You can’t do such a good job

Then I go again: Well, do you know what? You are organizing the World Team Championship in Belgium next year, aren’t you? Why don’t I prove that I can and build you a table that looks even cooler?

Then he goes: Great! But remember, it’s a team championship, so we’ll need 5 tables.

That’s when I realize I have been skillfully led into my own doom....

Damn!

-end scene-

With only 11 months to go, I of course called my friend (you might know him from a little zeppelin dock tower he made recently) to see if he wants to gang up for this. He of course was really enthousiastic about it. Which brings us here.

5 tables, that’s a lot. We agreed to start on one each, to get our feet wet (and to make a bit of a competiton out of it, boys will be boys). So here is the work in progress on my first table.

I have been toying for a while now with the idea of doing a Khador Warjack factory. A lonely factory in the middle of nowhere, with train tracks for push carts leading off into the nearby mountains, where they disappear into the mines below. Covered in snow (it is Khador, you know), making an idyllic scene. The kind of scene where you know there must be some blighted nyss hiding in the forests nearby to come and plunder the factory...

The problem with warmachine tables (especially competitive tables) is that they are dead boring. You really can’t use too much terrain on the table, because it will affect gameplay. So we came up with the brilliant idea of making the table twice the width of a normal table. That way, we have 2 ft on the left and 2 ft on the right to make cool scenery and build big houses, and we still have 4 ft in the middle that we can keep fairly open and playable. Yes, I know. Our briliant idea just got us to make twice the scenery and then some...

Because a picture says more than a thousand words, here’s some sketches for what the general table will look like. Beware, they are bad sketches. I really can’t draw.

Top view:

In shiny 3d:

And some loose ideas for buildings on there:

First, I am going to start with the main building on the right of the picture. It is a tall, steam-powered factory.

The look-out post on the top of the factory is supposed to be the private quarters for the resident greylord. There has to be someone to install those cortexes, right?

I had the idea of all kind of pistons and gears powering the plant, so there had to be plenty of space for those.

Reminds me of that gale force 9 winter guard table they made. Either way really like the idea and the drawings look awesome. Excited to see the finishe stuff.!

Now I want to attend the WTC even more!

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAas View Post
    Now I want to attend the WTC even more!
    Why don’t you?

Quote Originally Posted by menace View Post
    Why don’t you?
    I need to qualify first.

But if I do, I will be there!

Nice to hear. Which country if I may ask?

Conqueror

You've got plans like that, and the guy who built that ace zeppelin tower on board?
    This is going to be good!
    "Do you know why we fight Cygnar? Because we are opposites. We have fiery hearts with cool heads, they are hotheads with cold hearts."
    Capt. Vanya Dimitrova of the 32nd Iron Fangs
    My hobby blog

Destroyer of Worlds

Keep it as playable as the WMW table.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yertle4 View Post
    Remember in the Mk1 Field Test days when Cryx players were crying rivers because not every list revolved around spamming bonechickens and insanely strong spell assassinations?
    Yeah, so do I. Thanks, Jason Soles. Thanks for the gerbil skulls.

Nice to hear. Which country if I may ask?
    I'm from Sweden.

The interest for WTC is strong here so it will be a tough call. We are deciding teams in june, based upon our national ranking, so there's still time to qualify.

I'm very excited to see the results of your table. The concept looks really good. Hopefully I get to play on it!

Subbed, would love to see some stuff when you get it built.

Looks like a good start, but hoping there will be some terrain on the playing part of the table as well.
    He who dies with the most toys win

Quote Originally Posted by GilDK View Post
    Looks like a good start, but hoping there will be some terrain on the playing part of the table as well.
    Don’t worry, there will be modular forests, buildings and some linear obstacle on the terrain that can be placed where you want. Combined with the forests and other buildings on the side of the table, I hope it will make it look nice and natural.

Apart from that: Update time!

As you might see, this has been completely done in foam. I have first constructed the building with big sheets of foam, glued them together and then cut out the windows and doors. Next was texturing the wall. All of that has been done with an X-acto blade, by hand. And to finish it up, I roughed the bricks up by hand, with a plaster Hirst tile I had lying around. You crush the surface with the edges, so you get a nice stone texture on the different bricks. It takes a lot of work, but I think it looks better in the end.

Destroyer of Worlds Strangelove's Avatar

Amazing work. Subscribed.

Conqueror

Good work so far man, love it.

Destroyer of Worlds Defenstrator's Avatar

Cripes that brick work must have been a pain. Isn't there a faster way?
    Quote Originally Posted by John of Arc View Post
    Who hates Steelheads? That's like saying "Man, screw bread. Bread can go die."
    Our Warmachine and Hordes Blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Defenstrator View Post
    Cripes that brick work must have been a pain. Isn't there a faster way?
    None that I know of that produces the same effect. You can use plaster bricks, but they usually take longer to cast and they don't allow for this much flexibility. You could also use textured paper or plastic, but usually the textures are too shallow to make it look good nice painted.

Also, by doing it by hand you automatically get a more human, hand-built feeling to he building. Textured paints and cast bricks can make a wall look a bit repetitive. For this project, I wanted a slightly raggedy look, which is why I chose the slow, tedious way to do it.

And if you think this took a lot of work, wait till you see the chimney stacks I am doing at he moment.

Really sweet work buddy

Then he goes: Great! But remember, it’s a team championship, so we’ll need 5 tables.

That’s when I realize I have been skillfully led into my own doom....

Damn!

-end scene-
    -pan to volcano lair-

*swivel chair* *steeple fingers*

Muahahaha!

I have to say that the two feet of scenic area on each end is just genius. Having the best of both display and play area with out having to compromise as much should make for a stuning table.

The smoke stacks. If you have the time could you please walk us through the construction process. I can see how that type of piece can have lots of applications in warmachine.

Looking forward to see more Menace.
    my miniature blog: Rise of the Miniatures

I really like the initial sketches. This looks like it will be a great looking table. Do you forsee it as a scenario specific table or for general games?
    "No matter where you go... there you are" - Dr. Buckaroo Banzai

Quote Originally Posted by stonet13 View Post
    I really like the initial sketches. This looks like it will be a great looking table. Do you forsee it as a scenario specific table or for general games?
    General games. It would be a pity to build something like this and only being able to play 1 scenario on it. Although I might make scenario-specific bits to put on the table if inspiration strikes.

Looks great, can't wait to see the other pieces and of course the final tables!!

Conqueror

Might I ask which colours you are going to use? I built a tower for my trolls some time ago, also using foam. I had the wood texture done (so I can relate how much work that brick texture is!), but then I applied colours and they completely destroyed the texture (what's the english word for that - etching?). So I'm curious which colours you use to keep the texture!?

And btw, great work so far, looks like I can learn a couple things from your terrain building skills!

Quote Originally Posted by Falk View Post
    Might I ask which colours you are going to use? I built a tower for my trolls some time ago, also using foam. I had the wood texture done (so I can relate how much work that brick texture is!), but then I applied colours and they completely destroyed the texture (what's the english word for that - etching?). So I'm curious which colours you use to keep the texture!?
    I haven’t got the slightest idea

I’ll probably try using gesso to undercoat the whole thing and then continue with airbrush (Vallejo model air) and drybrushing with Vallejo game color. I have no idea what the result will be. I’ll see that when I get there probably. As for the wood texture, I am thinking about a way to put actual wood texture in balsa wood. I usually paint the wood by hand (every line gets painted separately), but that is something that is not as easy on such a big scale. We’ll see. I’m confident enough about my painting skills to trust that I’ll manage to adapt to whatever loss of texture I’ll experience. It just might take some more time than I anticipate now

Combatant

I haven’t got the slightest idea
    ... I’m confident enough about my painting skills to trust that I’ll manage to adapt to whatever loss of texture I’ll experience...
    showoff i heard you say many a times that you can't paint

Looking forward of seeing how these tables become reality. Please make sure to post loads and loads of WIPs for us for inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Yazza View Post
    showoff i heard you say many a times that you can't paint
    I am still convinced I can’t paint. I just know how to fake it very well.

What I meant to say is that I know I am fairly confident that I can make the painting look good enough that it distracts the attention from the parts that didn’t work out the way I wanted it to. If nobody looks at a bit that failed, nobody is going to notice.

I like your dedication and think this is a great initiative.

However, looking at the pic I'm a little worried about the middle part of the table. First of all, there's a huge lake in the middle. I already figured out it has to be modeled frozen, so it can actually be walked on and all that (and doesn't have to represent deep water..) But still, there's the problem of it limiting terrain placement. How are you going to solve that?

Now that I think about it you could make half submerged rocky spots you could place on the water to simulate rough going, or you could make little wooden islands to be forest terrain.

Also there's a bunch of railroad on the middle part, on which you can't place any terrain. I can't work my way around that. And on the picture at least the railroad seems to be on the other players side of the table almost completely, forcing you to put next to no terrain on that side, making it a little one-sided from a competitive playing aspect.

I hope you consider these points in advance and I'm sure you have already. Keep up the good work!

I understand your worries, trust me. The very first thing my friend told me when I started making plans was that the most important thing was that the tables are playable. They are intended for the finale, so it would be a bit stupid if one side won just because the tables we made aren’t playable.

The lake will be smaller than on the drawing and it will indeed be frozen over. Although I really like the idea of the little wooded island. As for the railroad tracks, I am still experimenting how wide I am going to make these. Technically, they won’† be railroad tracks for big steam engines, but small tracks for push carts. My idea was to make a terrain piece out of a row of these pushcarts, that you can place anywhere on the tracks. Apart from that, the tracks will be level with the playing field, so can be completely ignored during the game.

I think an update here is quite overdue.

And some detail pictures of the little "apartment" on the top of the factory. This is the place where the resident Greylord lives. There has to be someone to instal all those cortexes, right?

Amazing work, cant wait to see it finished!

Bane Lord Nekuraizou DarkLegacy's Avatar

Freaking amazing. Love it.

Judge since April 25 2013
    Infernal since April 23 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Hungerford View Post
    Well played Sam, you've corrected the person who the wrote the rule on how they just got the rule wrong. [Achievement Unlocked]

You're doing some incredible work. I like the fact that you take time to develop story details driving the shape of the building. Keep doing that and keep telling along with showing your stuff. You’re buildings are just taking shape and yet they already have character.
    Trollbloods: 25/266, Circle: 146/374, Skorne: 27/35, Legion: 8/109, Minions 20/41
    Cygnar: 17/158, Protectorate: 0/57 , Khador: 0/71, Mercenaries: 136/255, Retribution: 0/148, Cryx: 0/19

SICK 10chars.

Annihilator

How do you plan on mailing this to me? =D

Wow! the attention to detail is Stunning! Please post more! Love this thread.

+1

/Subscribed
    I'm the son of rage and love.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast