Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Painting & Modeling FAQ and Resource Index

This thread is intended to function as an index of the many resources the Privateer Press Forums Painting & Modeling community has assembled. In an effort to reduce the number of stickied threads and offer more space to regular threads on the first page, it merges the old Tutorial Finder and Airbrush Resource Threads, and references the HandCannonOnline Tutorial Index.

Also worth visiting is the New Painting Thread Locator, a thread of forum member threads, organized and maintained by each member who posts. A great resource if you know who painted something, but can't find it.

If you see something new that deserves to be added, reply to this thread with the link to the thread or article, and it'll be added.

Huge Thank You to Autumn Stone for organizing and providing links to all the HandCannonOnline articles.

Tutorials & FAQ by Subject

1. Taking Pictures and how to Post Them
    2. Stripping paint off miniatures
    3. Model Assembly
    4. Converting
    5. Sculpting
    6. Basing
    7. Priming
    8. Painting (Tools)
    9. Painting (Techniques)
    10. Painting (Advanced Techniques)
    11. Painting (Color Recipes & Textures)
    12. Airbrushing
    13. Sealing

Paint Scheme Idea Threads and Collections

1. Paint Schemes
    2. Studio Recipe Index (from Forces of books)
    3. Studio Recipes (Warmachine)
    4. Studio Recipes (Hordes)
    5. Studio Recipes (Other)

HandCannonOnline's Most Popular Tutorials
    1. Tutorial: Advanced - Object-Source Lighting
    2. Tutorial: Advanced - That One Hurt!: Painting Battle Damage
    3. A Beginner's Guide to ... Beginning - Colour Theory - by someone who was never taught Art
    4. Tutorial: Basics - Back in Black: Painting Black Armour
    5. Tutorial: Basics: This Plus That Equals? - Additives and Their Uses
    6. Tutorial: Advanced - Glorious Locks: Painting Hair
    7. Tutorial: Basics - Smooth it Over: Two-Brush Blending
    8. Tutorial: Basics - Glazed Over: Washes and Glazing
    9. Tutorial: Basics - Painting White
    10. Tutorial: Basics - Painting Cloth, and Highlighting Black
    11. Tutorial: Basics - Getting Started in Miniature Painting
    12. Painting 'Gators - aka The Impossible Road to ETC: 25 pt Milestone
    13. Tutorial: Basics - Heavy Metal: Using Metallics

There are several holes in this document, and I need your help to fill them! Use your best search-fu to find threads and articles, and they'll get added. If you can't find a particular thread, mention this too, and we'll see if others have found the same missing topics. Once we know it hasn't been covered, it'll be time to get the discussion started in a new thread we can then add to the index. Also, please point out any dead links, some of these articles may have migrated to new websites or blogs since they were originally added.
    Last edited by Mod_Plarzoid; 11-18-2013 at 04:22 AM.
    My Mod Voice is Trollblood Base -=- Forum Terms of Service -=- Have you read it lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by captainspud View Post
    When I play, I don't give two farts who wins. I'm there to do silly things for an hour or two with cool people. The outcome at the end really doesn't matter to me at all.

Facebook | @Plarzoid | YouTube

Default Taking Pictures, and how to Post Them

Taking Pictures of Models
    Models Isolated on White - jlav
    Models in Environments - jlav
    Photgraphing minis, a 4-part walkthough - DieselDM

Lightboxes
    A Beginner's Guide to The Lightbox
    Photographing Terrain: Another Way To Make a Light-box

Posting pictures on the forum
    How to post pictures.
    Last edited by Mod_Plarzoid; 12-19-2012 at 05:55 PM.
    My Mod Voice is Trollblood Base -=- Forum Terms of Service -=- Have you read it lately?
    When I play, I don't give two farts who wins. I'm there to do silly things for an hour or two with cool people. The outcome at the end really doesn't matter to me at all.

Default Stripping Paint

Stripping Paint

What can I use to strip the paint off my models?

• Castrol Super Clean (Purple Power) - available at most auto parts stores and Wal-Mart, in a purple bottle. Safe to use on plastic, resin and metal. Loosens up super glue, and green stuff, but doesn't dissolve or destroy it. Smells like grape jell-o.
    • Simple Green - Available at numerous locations, comes in a few different colors/flavors. Safe to use on plastic, resin and metal.
    • Acetone - Available in large quantities at hardware stores, and smaller ones at drug stores in the form of nail polish remover. Save to use on metal only.
    • Brake Fluid - Toxic, caustic, and known to ruin models.
    • Oven Cleaner - Different ingredients based on brand, some will melt plastic.

Tutorials
    Basic Paint Stripping - Plarzoid
    Dealing with the smell - Plarzoid
    Stripping Paint Thread - Primarily Agamemnon
    Model Cleaning: Purple Power Vs. Simple Green - HCO
    Model Cleaning: Simple Green Vs. Acetone - HCO
    Last edited by Mod_Plarzoid; 12-19-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Last edited by Mod_Plarzoid; 12-19-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Default Converting

Converting

Privateer Press' official Modeling Conversion rules for Organized Play (copied from SR2014):
    Players must be unambiguous about model representation. The following rules must be followed when using converted models in organized play. These rules are meant not to limit a player’s modeling options but rather to allow creativity without generating an environment that could become confusing during game play. At his discretion, an EO can make exceptions to these rules to approve any reasonable conversion.

A converted model must contain a majority of parts from the WARMACHINE or HORDES model for which the rules were written. For example, a Testament of Menoth conversion must be composed mostly of parts from the Testament of Menoth model. The end result of any conversion must be clearly identifiable as the intended miniature and must accurately represent its weapons and equipment as listed in its rules. Any conversions must be clearly pointed out to the opponent
    before the game to avoid confusion.

On warrior models, converting and swapping weapons is acceptable as long as the new weapon represents the same type of weapon as the one replaced (such as swapping one sword for another). Any feature relating to a weapon’s specific rules must be maintained to avoid confusion on the tabletop. For example, a weapon with Chain Weapon must still be modeled as a chain-style weapon, and a weapon’s length must be comparable when converting weapons with Reach.

Weapons cannot be swapped on warjack and warbeast models. Since many of the ’jacks utilize the same chassis and many of the beasts utilize the same torso, the weapons are the most identifiable part of the model when looking across the tabletop. Converting warjacks and warbeasts is still encouraged, but the aesthetics of the weapons must be maintained. Modifying weapons is permitted as long as the end result is easily identifiable as the intended warjack’s or warbeast’s proper weapon.

Models and units with available upgrade kits are an exception to the standard model conversion rules in three ways. First, because upgrades define an entirely separate set of stats and abilities, these parts must be clearly visible on the model or unit matching the upgrade stat card. For example, a helljack with one claw and one harpoon is not Malice; the model must have the correct head, harpoon blade, and all three spirit parts from the Malice upgrade in order to be considered Malice. Second, once a model or unit has been converted, it can only be fielded as that model or unit. For example, a Warpwolf with the parts from the Ghetorix upgrade is not an acceptable
    conversion for use with a Warpwolf Stalker stat card. Third, in the case of a unit attachment or weapon attachment upgrade, the model(s) that use the upgrade stat card must follow these rules, but the base unit follows the standard conversion policy for warrior model conversions described above. For example, a Black Dragon Officer & Standard must always use the Black Dragon upgrade stat card and an Iron Fang Pikemen Officer & Standard must always use the Iron Fang Pikemen Officer & Standard stat card, but an Iron Fang Pikemen unit without a unit attachment uses its standard stat card whether or not they have Black Dragon shields (or any other reasonable conversion).

Miniatures must be on appropriately sized WARMACHINE or HORDES bases, but scenic details can be added. The base’s perimeter must always be considered when modeling scenic details. While it is acceptable for scenic elements to overhang the base’s edge, the base itself is used for all measurements, not the scenic elements. The edge of a model’s base must not be obscured to the point that accurate measuring becomes difficult or impossible.
    General
    HandCannonOnline's Converting stuffs
    [How To]: Start doing Conversions
    Reposing (Legs)
    - Plarzoid
    Arm or Head swaps
    Adding LEDs to pGaspy - Exeter
    A Beginner's Guide to Conversion - Epic Thagrosh
    A Beginner's Guide to Conversion - Seraph

Magnetizing plastic kits

Alternative to magnets, pins (Youtube) - PG_tinman_xl

Converting Colossals
    Converting the Conquest - Baffo

Commonly Done Model Conversions
    Extremoth PG_Cloud-Gatherer
    Surpassing Extremoth - scorpius007
    Extreme Deathjack: part 1 | part 2 | part 3 | part 4 | part 5 - Exeter
    Avatar Conversion Compilation Thread
    Nomangler - PG_Mael
    Rok Conversion Index
    Plastic Fire of Salvation - squidstudios

Weapon Shaft Replacement
    Replacing weapon shafts with Brass Rod / Tube - Plarzoid
    Last edited by Mod_Plarzoid; 01-20-2014 at 02:41 PM.

Last edited by Mod_Plarzoid; 12-19-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Last edited by Mod_Plarzoid; 11-18-2013 at 04:22 AM.

Default Priming

Priming

A Beginner’s Guide to … Beginning – Priming- HCO
    Priming (spray paint)(Youtube) - Agamemnon

... and weather

• Rain: You can prime in the rain, just don't let the rain touch the model. If you have a roofed porch, or a garage, fire away. Enamels will be fussy, but acrylic primers love the humidity, in my experience.
    • Winter: Priming in the winter is also possible. So long as the model and the paint are at roughly the same temperature, it should be OK. Shake up the paint inside, run outside, prime quickly, and then get back inside. Repeat for each model, or take two out with you if you're fast enough

... and hairy results
    If the model ends up textured like sandpaper, you will have to strip it and prime it again. This happens when the paint droplets dry in the air, and land on the model tacky or nearly completely dry, and they don't flow together into a smooth coat. If you are using an acrylic primer, it's likely too dry. If you're using an enamel, it's probably too humid. If you don't think humidity is an issue, it's either a poorly mixed can, or just a bad can.

No matter the reason, this situation is almost always not salvageable, and the model just needs to be stripped.

... with airbrushes
    Discussion on Vallejo Primer

One of the major complaints with priming with an airbrush is the fragile nature of the primer coat. Since it goes on so thin, it can chip fairly easily when not sealed.

Zenithal Highlights
    Using priming to shade a model - Exeter

Choosing the right color

Gesso
    Gesso Thread
    Priming with gesso (brush on) - Valander
    Priming with gesso (dipping method) - Valander
    Last edited by Mod_Plarzoid; 01-24-2014 at 06:34 AM.

Default Painting (Tools)

Tools of the Trade
    HandCannonOnline on Tools

Getting Started
    A Beginner's Guide to Beginning - Tools of the trade- Handcannon Online

Comparing Paint Lines
    Miniature Paints 101 - wargameguru.com
    Making your own washes - EclecticGamer

Brushes
    Kolinsky Sable Paint Brushes - A Comparative Review

Paint Additives
    Tutorial: Basics: This Plus That Equals? - Additives and Their Uses

Wet Palettes & Dry Palettes
    Wet Pallettes - PG_LonelyMonk
    A Beginner's Guide to Wet Palettes - Build your own
    A Beginner's Guide to Wet Palattes - Painting Faces

Airbrushes
    See the Airbrushes section, here (post # 13).
    Last edited by Mod_Plarzoid; 12-19-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Last edited by Mod_Plarzoid; 03-11-2014 at 06:20 AM.

Default Painting (Advanced Painting Techniques)

More Painting Techniques
    HandCannonOnline on Painting

Weathering
    Weathering - Col_Festus
    Battle Damage Thread
    Battle Damage - Garden Ninja Studios (odinsgrandson)
    Battle Damage using Hairspray - PG_mael
    Battle Damage on HandCannonOnline
    Rust tutorial (old forums) - popg0estheworld

Object Source Lighting (OSL)
    Tutorial: Advanced - Object-Source Lighting
    Object Source Lighting (OSL) - PG_Terarin
    Last edited by Mod_Plarzoid; 12-19-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Default Painting (Color Recipes & Textures)

HandCannonOnline on Painting
    HandCannonOnline on Color Theory

Color Recipes
    An Index Color Recipes in the "Forces Of" Books - ZeeWulf
    Inspiring Color Palettes - artvarsity.com (found by Shadowspite)
    A Beginner's Guide to ... Beginning - Colour Theory - by someone who was never taught Art
    A Beginner's Guide to ... Beginning - Colour Theory Part II - Contrast and Schemes

Black
    Painting Black - Bloodshovel
    Painting Black - Ghool
    How to highlight black - captainspudTutorial: Basics - Painting Cloth, and Highlighting Black
    Tutorial: Basics - Back in Black: Painting Black Armour

White
    Painting White - Ghool
    Tutorial: Basics - Painting White
    Video Tutorial - Glazing and Painting White

Faces & Flesh
    Faces and eyes thread
    Female Faces - Garden Ninja Studios (odinsgrandson)
    Tutorial: Advanced - Painting Expressive Faces and Eyes
    Tutorial: Advanced - Make it Up: Female Faces, and Make-Up
    A Beginner's Guide to Wet Palattes - Painting Faces
    Video Tutorial: Painting Flesh - Part 1
    Video Tutorial: Painting Flesh - Part 2
    Video Tutorial: Painting Eyes, Hair and Make-Up
    Tutorial: Advanced - Undead Flesh

Metals
    Beginner's Guide to Metals
    Tutorial: Basics - Heavy Metal: Using Metallics
    Brass - zreef
    Rust - TinkerTerrain

Painting Textures
    Hair
    Painting Hair - Ghool
    Tutorial: Advanced - Glorious Locks: Painting Hair

Gems
    Beginner's Guide to Gems

Gator Skin
    Painting Your Gators
    Painting 'Gators - aka The Impossible Road to ETC: 25 pt Milestone

Other

Red Leather on Gunnbjorn - PG_mael
    Lava (Trolls) - zreef
    A Beginner's Guide to Heat and Light part 1 - Fire - HCO
    Ice (Basing) - zreef

A Beginner's Guide to Painting - Gems

Tartan - Autumn Stone
    Last edited by Mod_Plarzoid; 07-24-2013 at 05:42 AM.

Default Airbrushing

Airbrushes
    - This airbrush collection originally compiled by Malarowski in the Airbrush Resource Thread

The following copied from Meg Maples' post on Airbrushing: http://privateerpressforums.com/show...hing-Resources
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Meg View Post
    Since we are getting an influx of airbrushing related threads and questions, with always the same questions posted in them I thought I'd create a sticky with some basic information. Before we begin however, here is a search of these forums for airbrushing and the threads that came up for me.

Airbrush Thread Search

Now on to the advice . . .
    • Spend the money to get a quality airbrush. I recommend Iwata but Badger also has some great airbrushes on the market.
    • Make sure you don't go smaller than a 0.3mm needle for miniature airbrushing. Smaller than that and you will have problems with the nozzle clogging.
    • If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby or are able to order online from them use the 40% off coupon to get your compressor to save some money. I have the Stormforce and highly recommend it. You need to make sure you have a good compressor to go with your brush to avoid spitting and interruptions in your painting. Don't get a diaphragm compressor as they burn out eventually.
    • Test thinners in your paints. P3 is easily thinned with acetone, windex and mass market airbrush thinners. Rubbing alcohol will activate the paint to dry in your brush.
    • Metallics can be airbrushed, you just need a 0.3mm opening
    • don't expect to paint the entire model from shade to tiny highlight with your airbrush. You can do a lot with it but you will still need to rely on hand painting fine details or smoothing out some transitions.
    • There are many different effects that can be achieved with airbrushing--experiment and ask people in the painting community at large how they did something if you think it looks awesome! Usually they could talk about what they do for hours!
    • Learn how to properly clean your airbrush to increase the longevity of it. You will have to take it apart and thoroughly clean it.
    • Lastly, quality is important and you definitely get what you pay for with airbrushing.

Retailers I recommend for airbrushes include:

Chicago Airbrush Supply
    Hobby Lobby

If anyone else has advice please post it in here. I'd avoid asking questions and just keep this to giving of advice instead since there are already so many airbrushing question threads popping up.
    Buying your first Airbrush
    Breaking the Airbrush Barrier - museonminis
    Airbrush 101 - WGConsortuim (Youtube)
    Choosing a Compressor - BuyPainted (Youtube)
    Airbrush Rant by Les from APJ
    Getting an Airbrush Thread

Airbrush Basics
    Airbrush Basics- ArkenTyre (Brushthralls)
    Zenital Airbrushing Tutorial - theleadheadblog
    Airbrushing at the mini scale (long) - dakkadakka
    Airbrush Cleaning
    Seminar by Badger Presiden Ken Schlotfeldt
    Don's Airbrush Tips

Zenithal Highlights and OSL effects
    Zenithal Airbrushing, OSL and Snow and Ice Tutorial - Grey Knight (dakkadakka)
    How to Airbrush Leathery Bat-Like Wings

Other Youtube Airbrush Resources
    Schnauzerface Minis
    WG Consortium
    ScaleModel Medic
    Awesome Paintjob
    BuyPainted
    Last edited by Mod_Plarzoid; 09-03-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Default Sealing

Sealing

Spray Sealants
    Gloss

Flat

Brush-on Sealants
    Future Floor Wax

Fixing "Frosting"
    A Beginner’s Guide to … Beginning – Protection Part II – Fixing Frosted Varnish - HCO
    Last edited by Mod_Plarzoid; 01-24-2014 at 06:34 AM.

Default Scheme Ideas

Scheme Collections
    This list was originally compiled by Autumn Stone, here.

General
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...-Color-Schemes
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...icture-request
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...540-Army-Shots!

Battle Engines
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...Battle-Engines
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...-Wraith-Engine

Front Arcs
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...ark-front-arcs
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...rcs-A-Tutorial

Forum thoughts on being inspired by others (ie it's OK)
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...cheme-Stealing

Cygnar
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...a-paint-scheme
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...w-Paint-Scheme
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...gnar-showcase.
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...armies-models)

Protectorate of Menoth
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...-paint-scheme!
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...es-help-please

Khador
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...hador-Showcase
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...adoran-Colours
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...ernate-Schemes
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...Colour-Schemes

Cryx
    Pink Necrofactory - Zoroastre
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...-Cryx-Showcase

Mercs
    Merc 'Jacks - http://privateerpressforums.com/show...cks-(Showcase)
    Merc 'Jacks - http://privateerpressforums.com/show...cks-(Showcase)
    Pirate 'Jacks - http://privateerpressforums.com/show...-my-Merc-Jacks
    General Merc Showcase - http://privateerpressforums.com/show...enary-Showcase
    Talion Charter - http://privateerpressforums.com/show...Mercs-Showcase
    Talion Charter - http://privateerpressforums.com/show...Mercs-Showcase
    Pirates - http://privateerpressforums.com/show...e-you-Pirates!
    Searforge - http://privateerpressforums.com/show...ead-collection
    Searforge - http://privateerpressforums.com/show...-your-shorties

Mercs Compilation thread (contains links) - Trollock

Retribution
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...cyrah-Showcase
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...bution-scheme!

Convergence of Cyriss
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...-Paint-schemes

Circle Orboros
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...us-your-circle
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...Circle-Gallery
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...with-the-class
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...or-Inspiration

Legion of Everblight
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...-Paint-Scheme!
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...p-Shot-Schemes
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...t-your-dragons!
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...t-Paint-Scheme

Trollbloods
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...Colour-Schemes
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...-Pretty-Trolls
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...od-skins-tones
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...in-King-Thread
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...me-pics-please
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...lblood-schemes

Skorne
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...ain(t)-Schemes
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...60-Jade-Skorne
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...tically-UNIQUE

Thornfall (Pigs)
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...nions-Showcase
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...m-Showcase-Pt2

Blindwater (Gators)
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...ainting-Gators
    Last edited by Mod_Plarzoid; 03-17-2014 at 01:23 PM.

Default Studio Recipes

Studio Recipes
    This index of studio recipes comes from the Ask the Studio MKII thread, and was compiled by Autumn Stone.

Post numbers were accurate once, but due to forum activity beyond our control, they are likely to now be several posts before the listed one. The links are still valid, however, so use those.

Non-Faction Specific
    Paint Ratios Post #38, #49, #162 LINK LINK LINK
    Basecoating white Post #25 LINK
    Rusty Yellow Post #36 LINK
    Painting with Coal Black Post #35 LINK
    Various Hair Colors Post #41, #330, #438, #446, #450 LINK LINK LINK LINK LINK
    Painting Denim Post #62 LINK
    Beer Suds Post #67 LINK
    White #148, #156, #432 LINK LINK LINK
    Scratches on warjack armour #165 LINK
    Splatter #167, #338 LINK LINK
    Black #167, #251, #269 LINK LINK LINK
    Internal Glow (furnaces, necrotite, Demo corps hammers) #174 LINK
    Shades and tints #197 LINK
    Building stucco (terrain piece) #206 LINK
    Texture to red paint #215 LINK
    Orgoth Items #219 LINK
    Dark skin colours (Siege Brisbane) #233 LINK
    Weathering Jacks #286, #287 LINK LINK
    Purple and Yellow scheme #288, #289 LINK LINK
    Wet Cloth #310 LINK
    Chrome NMM #321 LINK
    Wood #338 LINK
    Green as a concept #347, #349 LINK LINK
    Blued Steel #411 LINK
    Sealing minis LINK
    On Matte Medium LINK
    Brushes LINK
    Brush care LINK
    Icicles and snow LINK
    Painting modle vs basing LINK
    Holding modles while painting LINK
    mixing paint LINK
    Blending LINK
    Highlighting red LINK
    Lighting LINK
    Two Brush Blending LINK
    Rust LINK
    Yellow LINK
    Haircolours LINK
    Feathering LINK
    Blending LINK
    Denim LINK
    Pirate Beach bases LINK
    Liquor Bottles LINK
    Metallic forced highlight technique LINK
    Juicing LINK
    Glass Bottles LINK
    Reddish Leather LINK
    P3 Pains vs the airbrush LINK
    PPS Matt on making mistakes LINK
    Jade colours LINK
    Coverage with metallics LINK

Cygnar
    5th Border Legion Post #30 LINK
    Bronze (Ol' Rowdy) #140 LINK
    5Th border Legion LINK
    Cygnar Trenchers LINK
    Thorn white armour LINK
    Cygnar golds LINK
    ATGM colours LINK

Menoth
    Exemplar Army NQ#8 Post #18 LINK
    Grey - Protectorate Armour of Mourning #167 LINK
    Navy Blue - Protectorate Armour of Mourning #167 LINK
    Flameguard unknown alt scheme #181 LINK
    Sanctifier #461 LINK
    Studio menoth white LINK
    red/gold exemplar armour NQ 8 LINK
    Resnik Scroll LINK
    Menoth White LINK

Khador
    Extreme Destroyer rusted white - salt mask #187 LINK
    White armour beast 09 #189 LINK
    Winterguard blue-grey greatcoats #209 LINK LINK
    White fur on Zerkova #219 LINK
    Khador red basing LINK
    eButcher Grey armour (superiority) LINK

Cryx
    Mechanithrall Flesh Post #4 LINK
    Morteneba Post #43 LINK
    The Wither Shadow Combine Post #47 LINK
    Epic Goreshade Post #59 LINK
    Erebus and Scaverous green glow #178 LINK
    Thrall Flesh in prime remix LINK
    Mortenabra LINK
    Whithershadow Combine LINK
    Cryx grey LINK
    Goreshade green LINK
    Canker Worm LINK
    bane Knights LINK

Retribution
    Epic Eiryss Post #70 LINK
    eEiryss base LINK
    Dawnlord Vyros LINK

Mercs
    Master Holt Post #50 LINK
    Mariner/Buccaneer Post #7, #39 LINK LINK
    Lady Aiyana Post #48 LINK
    Dirty Meg Post #53 LINK
    Bloody Bradigan Post #58, #65 LINK LINK
    Rhulic Jacks/infantry paint scheme Post #61 LINK
    Merc Greens #200 LINK
    Rocinante / Damiano armours #212 LINK LINK
    Madhammer and troops LINK
    Mariner/Shae/Buccaneer blue-grey LINK
    Commodore metallics LINK
    Mariner LINK
    Mariner Blue-grey LINK
    Mariner Diver Bell Eye LINK
    Ayanna and Holt LINK
    Dirty Meg LINK
    Wroughthammer Rockram LINK
    Quentin's NQ pirates LINK
    Forgeguard LINK
    Fiona the Black LINK
    ATGM colours LINK
    Ashlynn's Flagpole and some pinning advice LINK
    Last edited by Mod_Plarzoid; 06-06-2013 at 04:50 AM.

Trollbloods
    Rusted Trollkin Armor Post #76 LINK
    Grim Angus's Gun (wood grain) Post #11 LINK
    Earthborn Dire Troll Post #15 LINK
    Caber tosser Post #46 LINK
    Epic Madrak Post #60 LINK
    Stone Scribe Elder Post #69 LINK
    Fenn Blades leather Post #77 LINK
    Runrshaper's Flesh Post #78 LINK
    Rok Skin tone #195 LINK
    Troll skins #214 LINK LINK
    Trollblood colours LINK
    pink/red on troll faces LINK
    Wood- grim angus gun LINK
    Winter Troll LINK
    Earthborne dire troll LINK
    Caber Throwers caber LINK
    Longriders Toughalo LINK
    Fell caller flame stack LINK
    Madrak Armour LINK
    Dire Troll Blitzer Skin LINK
    Kilt lifter Beer suds LINK
    Stone scribe elder cases LINK
    Rusty troll armour LINK
    Fenblade belts and sword handles LINK
    Runeshaper flesh LINK

Legion of Everblight
    Blighted Nyss Flesh Post #21, #295 LINK LINK
    Legion Warbeast Flesh Post #21 LINK
    Legion Warbeast "brown bleeding" Post #22 LINK
    Ulk fur Post #32 LINK
    Legion Beast Carapace Post #34, #136 LINK LINK
    Warmongers Post #55 LINK
    Nyss black highlighting LINK
    Nyss Flesh / Legion Beasts LINK
    Raptors white fur LINK
    Legion Carapace LINK
    Legion Metallics LINK

Circle of Oroboros
    Epic Krueger Post #73 LINK
    Kromac's Headdress Post #23 LINK
    Gallows Grove #182 LINK
    White Fur Laris, Winter Argus #494 LINK
    Bone / Kromac Headpiece LINK
    Gnarlhorn skin LINK
    Wolfrider Mounts LINK
    Kromac Hair LINK
    Satyr fistwraps LINK
    eKreuger fabric LINK
    Warpwolf solo flesh LINK

Skorne
    Skorne Flesh tone Post #10 LINK
    Basilisk Flesh Post #40 LINK
    Ancestral Guardian/Immortals Post #29 LINK
    Rhinodon Flesh Post #40, #42 LINK LINK
    Skorne Blacks Post #72 LINK
    Skorne Golds #170 LINK
    Burnished Gold in black laquer armour NQ 36 #178 LINK
    Skorne flesh LINK
    titan bronzeback bronze LINK
    Rhinodon LINK
    Rhinodon LINK
    Cyclops skin LINK
    Skorne black LINK

Minions
    Farrow Bonegrinders Fur Post #17 LINK
    Gundrun Skin tones Post #31 LINK
    Swamp Gobber Flesh Post #68 LINK
    bonegrinder flesh LINK
    Gudrun Flesh LINK
    Swamp gobber Flesh LINK
    Brine skin LINK
    Last edited by Mod_Plarzoid; 12-20-2012 at 03:29 AM.

Metallic Technique
    What does the studio use to seal to ensure that the metallics are still brilliant Post#3 LINK
    A primer to advanced metal technique Post #51 LINK
    Mixing Inks and Metals Post #71 LINK

Blending Questions
    The different types of blending Pros/Cons Post #52 LINK
    Solutions to common two-brush issues Post #54 LINK
    When to Push/Pull Post #16 LINK
    Two-brush blending Post #26, #263, #371, #372, #383 LINK LINK LINK LINK LINK
    Paint Toxicity Post #37 LINK
    Shape of brush used for two-brush Post #56 LINK
    The Juicing Method Post #74 LINK
    Blending on rounded surfaces #297, #300 LINK LINK
    Shading and Highlighting #337 LINK

Basing Methods
    Basing Models order of operations Post #14 LINK
    Creating coils of rope Post #45 LINK
    Beach Bases Post #64 LINK
    Carpet?! #266 LINK

Materials
    What brand of primer do you use? Post #6 LINK
    What brand of sealant do you use? Post #6 LINK
    What brand of brush cleaner do you use Post #8 LINK
    What kind of carrying case do you use for paints Post #13 LINK
    What kind of light do you paint under? Post #20 LINK
    What kind/size of bit should I get for my Pin-Vice LINK
    Can old paint be saved? LINK
    Matte finish #160 LINK
    Brush choice, painting aids, general advice #193 LINK
    Palettes #310 LINK
    Glazes, washes, dips and stuff #484 LINK

Special Techniques
    How to Strip paint Post #5 LINK
    Making Icicles Post #9 LINK
    Gnarlhorn Satyr Fur technique #27 LINK
    Painting Rust Post #28 LINK
    The Feathering technique Post #44 LINK
    Techniques for simulated stone Post #46, #70 LINK LINK
    Grease and grime Post #53 LINK
    Solutions to washing issues Post #57 LINK
    Shortcuts for freehand using translucency Post #58 LINK
    Painting glass bottles Post #65 LINK
    Beer Suds Post #67 LINK
    Animal muscles (Argii) #141 LINK
    Painting faster #328, #333 LINK LINK
    Big long post about … Stuff #351, #431 LINK LINK
    Glass Bottles LINK
    Reddish Leather LINK
    Blue-ish Ice shadow (eg Beast09) LINK
    Jade colours LINK

Conversions and Assembly
    Assembling before or after painting Post #33 LINK
    Quentin's converted Pirate army Post #66 LINK

Sculpting
    Procreate VS. Brown stuff Post #19 LINK
    Sculpting Rivets Post #24 LINK
    Knurled patterns #241 LINK
    Choice of materials #414, #417 LINK LINK
    Last edited by Mod_Plarzoid; 02-05-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Reserved for further expansion. [3]

Reserved for further expansion. [4]

Reserved for further expansion. [5]

Zombie Annihilator DangerMuffin's Avatar

This is awesome, thanks Plarzoid. When I get home from work later I'll comb through my bookmarks and see if I can fill some of the gaps with stuff I've found.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerMuffin View Post
    This is awesome, thanks Plarzoid. When I get home from work later I'll comb through my bookmarks and see if I can fill some of the gaps with stuff I've found.
    Awesome, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn Stone View Post
    Thanks Plarzoid.

Scheme ideas - already done for you
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...ernate-schemes

Also, the handcannon index has stuff for the first few sections too.

Cheers
    A.S.

Cheers
    A.S.
    Referenced and assimilated the Scheme stuff. I still need to do a cross reference between the HCO index and this, see what I missed.

Thanks!

I'll have a stab at indexing the studio thread for you when I have a chance.

I'll post it up in post 25 of this thread once I get going so it's visible for the thread.... edit: tool arge. I failed. posted below.

As for the hco index, ... Lots, but you probably don't have to. I'll be keeping the hco index up to date, so simply a link from the topic on this thread to the topic heading on the hco index is probably ok, with possibly individual posts for the really high profile stuff like althai's OSL and battle damage tutes, ghool's, black, white, two brush blending and choice of kolinskis, etc.

I can give you a list of our most popular/viewed topics, with bb coding you you want... (if you do wish, probably easiest to pm me an email address)

The alt scheme stuff I'm still regularly updating as people as for a "show us your...". Did you want to take over this, or just mention in the thread link that it's still an active thread?

For the conversion threads, there's also the cryxnar project, and I've posted handcannon tutes on tartan for trolls, alt seraph, and alt wings for eThagrosh. (see hco index)

Cheers
    A.S.

Destroyer of Worlds Jake the Dog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mod_Plarzoid View Post
    Referenced and assimilated the Scheme stuff. I still need to do a cross reference between the HCO index and this, see what I missed.

Thanks!
    You missed this one on Battle damage I think:
    http://handcannononline.com/blog/2011/07/25/
    Signature by Me | Follow me: @LordButternubs

@Autumn Stone: PM incoming

Quote Originally Posted by Jake the Dog View Post
    You missed this one on Battle damage I think:
    http://handcannononline.com/blog/2011/07/25/
    Added.

Added several links to HandCannonOnline's top read tutorials, as well as their top few in each major category, offering direct access to their resources.

To Plarzoid.

My Blog: http://my.opera.com/MUHNAY/blog/
    I will admit to some nasty enjoyment of insecure people freaking out because I have impugned the manliness of their hobby, but that's a minor side benefit.---Dave

Ask the Studios Index - part 1 - Warmachine

Painting

Non-Faction Specific

Paint Ratios Post #38, #49, #162 LINK LINK LINK
    Basecoating white Post #25 LINK
    Rusty Yellow Post #36 LINK
    Painting with Coal Black Post #35 LINK
    Various Hair Colors Post #41, #330, #438, #446, #450 LINK LINK LINK LINK LINK
    Painting Denim Post #62 LINK
    Beer Suds Post #67 LINK
    White #148, #156, #432 LINK LINK LINK
    Scratches on warjack armour #165 LINK
    Splatter #167, #338 LINK LINK
    Black #167, #251, #269 LINK LINK LINK
    Internal Glow (furnaces, necrotite, Demo corps hammers) #174 LINK
    Shades and tints #197 LINK
    Building stucco (terrain piece) #206 LINK
    Texture to red paint #215 LINK
    Orgoth Items #219 LINK
    Dark skin colours (Siege Brisbane) #233 LINK
    Weathering Jacks #286, #287 LINK LINK
    Purple and Yellow scheme #288, #289 LINK LINK
    Wet Cloth #310 LINK
    Chrome NMM #321 LINK
    Wood #338 LINK
    Green as a concept #347, #349 LINK LINK
    Blued Steel #411 LINK
    Sealing minis LINK
    On Matte Medium LINK
    Brushes LINK
    Brush care LINK
    Icicles and snow LINK
    Painting modle vs basing LINK
    Holding modles while painting LINK
    mixing paint LINK
    Blending LINK
    Highlighting red LINK
    Lighting LINK
    Two Brush Blending LINK
    Rust LINK
    Yellow LINK
    Haircolours LINK
    Feathering LINK
    Blending LINK
    Denim LINK
    Pirate Beach bases LINK
    Liquor Bottles LINK
    Metallic forced highlight technique LINK
    Juicing LINK

Cygnar
    5th Border Legion Post #30 LINK
    Bronze (Ol' Rowdy) #140 LINK
    5Th border Legion LINK
    Cygnar Trenchers LINK
    Thorn white armour LINK
    Cygnar golds LINK

Menoth
    Exemplar Army NQ#8 Post #18 LINK
    Grey - Protectorate Armour of Mourning #167 LINK
    Navy Blue - Protectorate Armour of Mourning #167 LINK
    Flameguard unknown alt scheme #181 LINK
    Sanctifier #461 LINK
    Studio menoth white LINK
    red/gold exemplar armour NQ 8 LINK
    Resnik Scroll LINK
    Menoth White LINK

Khador
    Extreme Destroyer rusted white - salt mask #187 LINK
    White armour beast 09 #189 LINK
    Winterguard blue-grey greatcoats #209 LINK LINK
    White fur on Zerkova #219 LINK
    Khador red basing LINK
    eButcher Grey armour (superiority) LINK

Cryx
    Mechanithrall Flesh Post #4 LINK
    Morteneba Post #43 LINK
    The Wither Shadow Combine Post #47 LINK
    Epic Goreshade Post #59 LINK
    Erebus and Scaverous green glow #178 LINK
    Thrall Flesh in prime remix LINK
    Mortenabra LINK
    Whithershadow Combine LINK
    Cryx grey LINK
    Goreshade green LINK
    Canker Worm LINK
    bane Knights LINK

Retribution
    Epic Eiryss Post #70 LINK
    eEiryss base LINK
    Dawnlord Vyros LINK

Mercs
    Master Holt Post #50 LINK
    Mariner/Buccaneer Post #7, #39 LINK LINK
    Lady Aiyana Post #48 LINK
    Dirty Meg Post #53 LINK
    Bloody Bradigan Post #58, #65 LINK LINK
    Rhulic Jacks/infantry paint scheme Post #61 LINK
    Merc Greens #200 LINK
    Rocinante / Damiano armours #212 LINK LINK
    Madhammer and troops LINK
    Mariner/Shae/Buccaneer blue-grey LINK
    Commodore metallics LINK
    Mariner LINK
    Mariner Blue-grey LINK
    Mariner Diver Bell Eye LINK
    Ayanna and Holt LINK
    Dirty Meg LINK
    Wroughthammer Rockram LINK
    Quentin's NQ pirates LINK
    Forgeguard LINK

Ask the Studios index part 2 - Hordes

Trollbloods
    Rusted Trollkin Armor Post #76 LINK
    Grim Angus's Gun (wood grain) Post #11 LINK
    Earthborn Dire Troll Post #15 LINK
    Caber tosser Post #46 LINK
    Epic Madrak Post #60 LINK
    Stone Scribe Elder Post #69 LINK
    Fenn Blades leather Post #77 LINK
    Runrshaper's Flesh Post #78 LINK
    Rok Skin tone #195 LINK
    Troll skins #214 LINK LINK
    Trollblood colours LINK
    pink/red on troll faces LINK
    Wood- grim angus gun LINK
    Winter Troll LINK
    Earthborne dire troll LINK
    Caber Throwers caber LINK
    Longriders Toughalo LINK
    Fell caller flame stack LINK
    Madrak Armour LINK
    Dire Troll Blitzer Skin LINK
    Kilt lifter Beer suds LINK
    Stone scribe elder cases LINK
    Rusty troll armour LINK
    Fenblade belts and sword handles LINK
    Runeshaper flesh LINK

Legion of Everblight
    Blighted Nyss Flesh Post #21, #295 LINK LINK
    Legion Warbeast Flesh Post #21 LINK
    Ulk fur Post #32 LINK
    Legion Beast Carapace Post #34, #136 LINK LINK
    Warmongers Post #55 LINK
    Nyss black highlighting LINK
    Nyss Flesh / Legion Beasts LINK
    Raptors white fur LINK
    Legion Carapace LINK
    Legion Metallics LINK

Circle of Oroboros
    Epic Krueger Post #73 LINK
    Kromac's Headdress Post #23 LINK
    Gallows Grove #182 LINK
    White Fur Laris, Winter Argus #494 LINK
    Bone / Kromac Headpiece LINK
    Gnarlhorn skin LINK
    Wolfrider Mounts LINK
    Kromac Hair LINK
    Satyr fistwraps LINK
    eKreuger fabric LINK
    Warpwolf solo flesh LINK

Skorne
    Skorne Flesh tone Post #10 LINK
    Basilisk Flesh Post #40 LINK
    Ancestral Guardian/Immortals Post #29 LINK
    Rhinodon Flesh Post #40, #42 LINK LINK
    Skorne Blacks Post #72 LINK
    Skorne Golds #170 LINK
    Burnished Gold in black laquer armour NQ 36 #178 LINK
    Skorne flesh LINK
    titan bronzeback bronze LINK
    Rhinodon LINK
    Rhinodon LINK
    Cyclops skin LINK
    Skorne black LINK

Minions
    Farrow Bonegrinders Fur Post #17 LINK
    Gundrun Skin tones Post #31 LINK
    Swamp Gobber Flesh Post #68 LINK
    bonegrinder flesh LINK
    Gudrun Flesh LINK
    Swamp gobber Flesh LINK
    Brine skin LINK

Ask the Studios Index part 3 - everything else

Metallic Technique

What does the studio use to seal to ensure that the metallics are still brilliant Post#3 LINK
    A primer to advanced metal technique Post #51 LINK
    Mixing Inks and Metals Post #71 LINK

Blending Questions
    The different types of blending Pros/Cons Post #52 LINK
    Solutions to common two-brush issues Post #54 LINK
    When to Push/Pull Post #16 LINK
    Two-brush blending Post #26, #263, #371, #372, #383 LINK LINK LINK LINK LINK
    Paint Toxicity Post #37 LINK
    Shape of brush used for two-brush Post #56 LINK
    The Juicing Method Post #74 LINK
    Blending on rounded surfaces #297, #300 LINK LINK
    Shading and Highlighting #337 LINK

Basing Methods
    Basing Models order of operations Post #14 LINK
    Creating coils of rope Post #45 LINK
    Beach Bases Post #64 LINK
    Carpet?! #266 LINK

Materials
    What brand of primer do you use? Post #6 LINK
    What brand of sealant do you use? Post #6 LINK
    What brand of brush cleaner do you use Post #8 LINK
    What kind of carrying case do you use for paints Post #13 LINK
    What kind of light do you paint under? Post #20 LINK
    What kind/size of bit should I get for my Pin-Vice LINK
    Can old paint be saved? LINK
    Matte finish #160 LINK
    Brush choice, painting aids, general advice #193 LINK
    Palettes #310 LINK
    Glazes, washes, dips and stuff #484 LINK

Special Techniques
    How to Strip paint Post #5 LINK
    Making Icicles Post #9 LINK
    Gnarlhorn Satyr Fur technique #27 LINK
    Painting Rust Post #28 LINK
    The Feathering technique Post #44 LINK
    Techniques for simulated stone Post #46, #70 LINK LINK
    Grease and grime Post #53 LINK
    Solutions to washing issues Post #57 LINK
    Shortcuts for freehand using translucency Post #58 LINK
    Painting glass bottles Post #65 LINK
    Beer Suds Post #67 LINK
    Animal muscles (Argii) #141 LINK
    Painting faster #328, #333 LINK LINK
    Big long post about … Stuff #351, #431 LINK LINK

Conversions and Assembly
    Assembling before or after painting Post #33 LINK
    Quentin's converted Pirate army Post #66 LINK

Sculpting
    Procreate VS. Brown stuff Post #19 LINK
    Sculpting Rivets Post #24 LINK
    Knurled patterns #241 LINK
    Choice of materials #414, #417 LINK LINK

Cheers
    A.S.

Thank you, that's awesome!

Fix Frosting - dip/cover the model in olive oil, wait 24 hours. I haven't tried it yet, but have heard it from reliable sources that it works great.

Hi Plarzoid

Updates for the Ask the studio stuff.
    You'll have to put them into the right spots though.

Also, I've just found that the post numbers I've included are no longer valid. As Matt and Meg answer questions, they've been deleting posts, so the post number of their answers march backwards.
    The Links should still be vaild though. It is proabaly worth putting that as a disclaimer at the top of the index. "post numbers were accurate once, but due to forum activity beyond our control, they are likely to now be several posts before the listed one"

Anway - updates

Glass Bottles LINK
    Reddish Leather LINK
    Blue-ish Ice shadow (eg Beast09) LINK
    Jade colours LINK
    Fiona the Black LINK
    ATGM colours LINK

Cheers
    A.S.

Popular conversions :

The index of Rok conversions - yes a conversion so popular it has it's own index thread!

Thanks fuzzy doom for keeping it up to date

http://privateerpressforums.com/show...ersions-Thread

Cheers
    A.S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast