Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trying to motivate myself to paint, and failing...

Like the title says. I am trying to finish my trollbloods, and I am nearly there, but have gotten lazy. To paint I have:

2 Classic Maulers (half done, ish)
    6 Pyg Bushwhackers (half done, ish)
    Runebearer (nearly primed - bad weather lately so could take a while)

I don't know if its the Christmas, or shift work catching up on me, or other things to be done, but I'm finding it hard to motivate myself, with the other 39 models in the army being finished already. The end is so close, yet, meh.

What you guys do to get motivated?

My problem is I never finish what I start. I've really got to be in the zone to complete a model. My pSorcha looks freakin awesome, but she's still not 100% and it's been 3 weeks or so since I last messed with her. Got the Conquest a week ago, and I've pretty much only put down base reds and Leadbelcher on him.

Conqueror

1. Keep a log of what you have been doing
    2. Post pics of WIP and completed mini's
    3. Have short term goals that are specific and attainable
    4. Relate short term goals into long term projects
    5. Keep something around that you can flip to when you need a painting break. (50 minutes of work, 10 min break is what I swear by for just about everything in my life)

Destroyer of Worlds Howard Tayler's Avatar

Here's the list of questions you need to ask yourself, and then answer:

• Why do you paint?
    • Which do you enjoy more: painting, or having painted models?
    • Is a duplicate model less fun to paint than the first one was?
    • What's your favorite part of painting?

Sometimes motivation lies in rediscovering motive. Other times it lies in finding the blockage.

@ LoRM

I'm most surley not in the zone at the moment... I could probably paint something else and I would be, but my heart isn't in Trollbloods right now, even though they are so close to being done.

@ PGCydric

1. You mean a painting blog?
    2. I dunno, I'm not an awful painter but I never get great comments on pics, it makes me too self conscious that my stuff is bad.
    3. I think the goals I have fit point 3
    4. Not sure what you mean on point 4
    5. Xbox, TV and books are always near, so no fear of that.

@ Howard Tayler

I paint to have armies that are finished and battle worthy, I like painting too. Work is stressful, and I find it a therapeutic thing to do: to give colour and create something I am proud of and that is positive with all that negativity in my system

Painted models I prefer, most certainly yes

Duplicates can be less fun yes

I suppose putting on washes would be my favourite, but I like having all the basecoats done on a model and it goes from being primed or having a few colours to being on its way

I'd say my motivation likes somewhere vaguely between rediscovery and blockage. Then again if I just pulled my head outta my behind and grinded away with the painting I would get results.

Annihilator

If you truly want to be motivated try out a little trick i heard. Each day you dont paint you take a hammer and smash a toe. This was you get to see if it is really being lazy, or no motivation or some other dark forces keeping you from painting. If you make it to toe #10 then i would have to say the reason is the last choice. :-)

Grimm

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmnar View Post
    If you truly want to be motivated try out a little trick i heard. Each day you dont paint you take a hammer and smash a toe. This was you get to see if it is really being lazy, or no motivation or some other dark forces keeping you from painting. If you make it to toe #10 then i would have to say the reason is the last choice. :-)

Grimm
    I don't have any toes.

Based on your answers, you might have the same problem I have. It's difficult to get started. Easy to proceed once you've got brush in hand, but difficult to get started.

Lots of the tricks listed above can help you with that. Sometimes what I need to do is tell myself that for the next five minutes I am going to GET READY to paint -- brushes, wet palette, fresh water -- and that I only need to put ONE LITTLE PATCH of finished color on a model, then I can be done. Five minutes of "meh, grumble grumble" turns into 2 hours of "where did the time go, this looks awesome."

1. Get started...
    2. Do it...
    3. Take breaks.
    4Get Started.
    5. Schedule time each day..
    6. Give yourself a personal deadline. (My last one was to finish painting my stormwalls)
    7. Get started.
    8. Start a thread of just your models and your painting. Try and post something new every week.

When I started on the Stormwall mods...well it took me forever to just sit down and do it. I did find however that once I sat down and started (forced myself one day) that it went well....and I was eager to work at it some more the next day. Then once the mods were done I had to find the motivation to start painting. Once again after starting it was much easier to keep going. Then I went on the road working. That killed my painting. Once home it was the same thing all over again. I wanted to paint but could not find the motivation. I had set a deadline for myself finish all six Stormwalls by 1.1.13. After taking my painting stuff back into the dining room so I could talk/listen to the family while painting the groove and desire came back.

I try and paint just a little every day. It would be an enormous lie to say that happens. In reality there will be a month or more go by without a single brush stroke being done. Yet after 3 years of painting I have a nice small force of models to play. The nice part of it is the more I paint... the faster I paint. To give you an idea of my painted army check out this link. With a little devotion and small effort given daily you can easily have a larger army painted to a better standard.
    Last edited by Agamemnon; 01-01-2013 at 10:32 AM.
    Most people say that what some people say is pretty stupid.
    Painted/Total points (5 points per caster per Steamroller) Cygnar 872

I wish I had your ambition and attention span Agamemnom

I play Khador, Minions, and soon to be Convergence of Cyriss.

I have that problem but when I have units but with large unique new things I just crack on like with my new cryx

Wish I could say that my army was pure ambition and attention. In reality I get distracted like you would not believe. At work this last quarter we quoted a great movie (UP) almost constantly to describe several of us... Squirrel.

I get up and walk around probably every 10 minutes when I am painting. I am online posting/lurking when I should be painting.

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Never look at your army that needs to be painted. Just paint the figure you want to paint. Sit down and do it. Push yourself to be a little better with each model. Try new techniques here and there. Let yourself goof off some but come back to the painting.

While painting I listen to music, audio books, talk and listen to the family/friends discussions on weekends, watch friends play single player console games.

Biggest thing I can say is just sit down and paint. Dont block off 5 hours on Sunday. Block out 30 min to an hour daily. You will probably get a lot more done and it will become part of your daily routine. It is much easier to do it this way (at least for me) than to punish yourself with long painting sessions.
    Most people say that what some people say is pretty stupid.
    Painted/Total points (5 points per caster per Steamroller) Cygnar 872

Destroyer of Worlds DemonCalibre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duckboy View Post
    I wish I had your ambition and attention span Agamemnom
    You can though, both ambition and attention span are trained skills, not innate gifts.

Painting a little bit every day even 15 minutes, keeps you involved in the project and keeps it on your mind you don't float away. Create rules for yourself, never skip more then 1 day, never skip more then 2 days a week, and admonish yourself for failure. After your 15 minutes stop if your not interested and continue if you are.

Now that sounds harsh, but it doesn't always pan out like that in reality. Sometimes I fall right off the wagon because work is killing me, stuff piles up, I don't kill myself over it, but I remind myself I should be working on my projects. Be flexible with yourself but don't make excuses. Those excuses are the trap that gets you to not pick up a brush for weeks and weeks.

Painting is also like coffee, A small number of people LOVE IT the moment they taste it. The majority of people think it's nasty, but all these other people drink it so they should, a small minority of people loathe it and can't understand why everyone drinks its. How does that majority of people that don't care for it, become people that LOVE IT? Simple they keep drinking it till they like it.(Just like me and Whiskey...oh Whiskey...). It's not easy, but nothing in live that is worth anything is.

Edit: A thing I can't stress enough, is after you put in your 15 minutes, don't force yourself to continue if you don't want to. Remember the daily thing is the process of building a pattern of success. If you paint for 15 minutes every day, during a single week you feel great because you achieved the goal of painting 15 minutes a day the whole week, but if you set unrealistic goals of I will paint an hour a day this whole week, when you don't really have the drive to paint, You will fail it, which will get you down on yourself and your painting making it harder to achieve the drive to try again.

Small steps, lead to more steps, big steps lead to falling flat on your face.
    Last edited by DemonCalibre; 01-01-2013 at 10:58 AM.
    No Pity for the Majority

I als have trouble finding painting motivation. I am not a good painter and usually will find any excuse to not paint because I just don't like painting. Once every two-months I'll paint for a few hours.

And it's demoralizing when it seems literally everyone else has more time/motivation /skill.

Introduction to Retribution

Retribution Strategy articles on handcannononline.com:
    Retribution 2013 Review
    Retribution/Cygnar/Menoth Player for Removed from Play: Into the Arena and Decked Out

Joelker41 why don't you like painting?

(And I just don't like it isn't an answer)

Edit:
    And why is the motivation/time/skill of others important to your particular painting?
    No Pity for the Majority

Quote Originally Posted by DemonCalibre View Post
    Joelker41 why don't you like painting?

(And I just don't like it isn't an answer)

Edit:
    And why is the motivation/time/skill of others important to your particular painting?
    I came from multiple other miniatures games with prepainted minis and the concept of painting my own sort of defeated me from the outset. I legitimately do not enjoy painting on the whole. I'd rather play more games or be social.

I also don't enjoy the passive aggressive digs vs non painters I hear a lot in my area. There is nothing in the rules that says I have to paint and thank goodness there isn't because I would have quit years ago.

I signed on to play a miniatures combat game. Painting isn't a requirement to enjoy such games IMO.

Retribution 2013 Review
    Retribution/Cygnar/Menoth Player for Removed from Play: Into the Arena and Decked Out

Conqueror

1. You mean a painting blog?
    - a blog is one way to do it. A journal is another. Just keep track of what you are doing. If you look back at a month and see that some times you were more prodictive than others, look at what you were doing in that time.
    2. I dunno, I'm not an awful painter but I never get great comments on pics, it makes me too self conscious that my stuff is bad.
    - That's ok! It took me a while to post my first mini too. But I gotta say that I have never seen someone actually call down a painted mini - no matter the quality. It's always ways to improve.
    3. I think the goals I have fit point 3
    - great!
    4. Not sure what you mean on point 4
    - Do you goals fit into something bigger. Right now I am painting 2 50 point Menoth lists. This fits into some bigger goals such as: fully painted factions, one list for each caster, etc.
    5. Xbox, TV and books are always near, so no fear of that.

Would it help if I offered to come to your home, hang out with you, yet mock you incisively & annoyingly until you finish?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovnik Tsumi View Post
    Dammit, Magnus. Why couldn't you have let me have this one joke!
    Proud member of the Keeping Mercs Metal Club

I give money to my fiancee to disappear for the day.

Get some music and a feed in my stomach and i'm usually pretty set for 5-6 hours of good painting.
    Whosever runs double Stormwall at 50pts or less Herps the Derp.

Oddly enough I really enjoy assembly and resculpting work. Just not painting my creations.

May get some painting done eventually on my blue camouflage Ret concept.

Retribution 2013 Review

Quote Originally Posted by joelker41 View Post
    Oddly enough I really enjoy assembly and resculpting work. Just not painting my creations.

I'm the same way -- assembly and re-sculpts are LOTS of fun for me. I enjoy painting a lot, but I've got over 200 unpainted models as a testament to the fact that I prefer putting things together to finishing them.

You might consider going the white primer and dip path. Get some washes, some inks, some matte medium, and a few key theme colors, and come up with your own process and scheme for quickly putting color and texture down. I've seen large armies done this way, and while they don't stand up to scrutiny, for tabletop use they still make for a pretty game.

@ Howard Tayler

It can be hard to get started, but I’ve been painting at least four or five nights a week for the last few months, and if not painting, doing other model related stuff (cleaning, filing, assembly, and so forth).

Setting up the painting area as you say is half the battle, having it ‘waiting there’ for you. To be honest, this thread has had its desired affect already: I have done work on the 6 pygs and nearly finished the Runebearer (just snow, brown touch ups, varnish and grass).

@ PG Agamemnon

I can’t view that snippet from where I am at the moment.

That is a nice list actually. I suppose you can’t paint unless you sit down to actually do it. It sounds like you had quite a struggle on those mods.

@Demoncaliber

Yeah, they are things you routine yourself to do, like exercise, to keep it consistent and do a little frequently, and then expand on that once you get your discipline down.

@ Joelker41

Don’t knock yourself. If you want to improve on your painting, try hosting a painting night with friends, or go to a painting night at a club, or befriend a fellow gamer who is a good painter and get him to give you tips or lessons. Nobody starts out as a brilliant painter.

A friend in my group hated painting for years. Never put brush to miniature for 15 years, and once a tourney came up with painted models being a compulsory thing. He went to the LGS, and the owner taught him to paint, and from there he did his own research, and now he is an excellent painter. Give it a chance, but try!

I use a reward system. I hold food, other models, TV shows, and other Video Games hostage until I put in X minutes / hours on a model. "Just put in another hour, and you can run a Heroic Dungeon..."

I love painting and modelling, but it can be so hard to get the ball rolling. When I do, I can knock out models fairly quickly, but getting over that initial hurdle can be rough. One big thing for me is to not have a ton of unfinished models all over my desk. It's overwhelming and imposing, and I don't want to deal with it - I can't. Instead, I keep everything on a shelf behind me, or in boxes, so I can't see them. That way, I don't have an entire army to tackle, just the one or two models in front of me.

Right now, I don't have a choice - I have models I'm giving as gifts to friends at Templecon, so I have a month to get them done. It's go time!
    My Mod Voice is Trollblood Base -=- Forum Terms of Service -=- Have you read it lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by captainspud View Post
    When I play, I don't give two farts who wins. I'm there to do silly things for an hour or two with cool people. The outcome at the end really doesn't matter to me at all.

Facebook | @Plarzoid | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    Biggest thing I can say is just sit down and paint. Dont block off 5 hours on Sunday. Block out 30 min to an hour daily. You will probably get a lot more done and it will become part of your daily routine. It is much easier to do it this way (at least for me) than to punish yourself with long painting sessions.
    Generally this is really good advice. For me, though, it's actually pretty hard to do the daily, small blocks for whatever reason, so I most often wind up with the 6-hour block on Sunday. And, honestly, I've turned that into a positive by now looking forward to "oh, man, it's almost my paint day!" Funny how that gets some motivation, but I fully understand that will not work for everyone.

A lot of others have said it, and I'll echo it, because it's a good idea. Set up small goals that you can actually "tick off" the list. Whether that's "assemble this heavy war beast" or "prime this unit", if you have small items that you can mark as "complete" it can help the feeling of progress. It's important to not make too big a list, though, because then you can easily just get overwhelmed.
    Infernal from 30 September 2011 to 2 April 2014

Annihilator

For me, it's make it easy to sit down to do and do a little at a time.

I keep my painting all set up on my computer desk. This way I can just pick up a brush and put some colour on a model at anytime. Usually I'll do a single colour or layer at a time. For example I'll be browsing youtube, find a long-ish clip of like 10 mins and while its on, put some paint on a model. This often turns into a longer session and I'm not really "painting" I'm browsing youtube.

I also find I get much more motivated when I see the end of a project, when I know there is only a few details left I get excited and push myself to finish. Leading up to that is hard though.
    As rule mans a fool.
    When its hot he wants it cool,
    and when its cool he wants it hot,
    always wanting what is not.

Studio Painter

Quote Originally Posted by DemonCalibre View Post
    You can though, both ambition and attention span are trained skills, not innate gifts.
    Yes! This! A thousand times!

If someone had told me when I first started painting that I'd be doing it for a living as well as a hobby at home getting anywhere from 8-12 hours/day in I would have thought them nuts.

It took years of practicing and persevering to learn new things to get to the point where I'm able to paint all day every day. When I first started painting I was in college and it was my "reward" after getting my homework done. It was the activity I looked forward to with the LOTR movies on in the background. But I could only manage about an hour or two at a time and that was it.

And getting started is a problem I still have at home sometimes. Even though there are things you know you need to do sometimes it's really hard to start. Is there anyone else who can give you gentle nudges to get in the painting chair? Adam helps me with this sometimes. But he's also good about reminding me that I need breaks with other activities.

It's ok to take breaks from painting and if it's hard to get started painting you may just need a break for a while and the come back to it later. It's ok.

@ Mod_Plarzoid

Reward system? That sounds more like your torturing yourself!

Regarding the desk thing, I found that having too much on the table can throw you off mentally, as if your building a hill for you to go up with the painting. Just putting only what I am working on, or what I have already finished tends to be better for moral.

With the gift giving, having a con coming up is great, it kind of unclogs a drain with motivating, but a con I planned on going to at the end of January I now cannot go to, so maybe that took the wind out of my sails too.

@ Valander

Yeah having a list is great, and when you put a line through the item or tick its done, it feels great, and on paper with all the stuff ticked it gives a good sense of accomplishment.

@ Valrus

I find the opposite is true – like now, I get lazy toward the end, for some reason.

@ PPS_Meg

It’s nice to know that even people at the top of the painting foodchain have similar problems! Sage advice nonetheless. Usually I paint with my girlfriend, and she helps me get armies ready for tournaments, and it does not seem like so much work. She’s busy now putting together Cyngar stuff from Christmas so I won’t be getting much help for a while.

Another thing to consider Minotaur, is to think about what is your painting work ethic style?

When I was much younger I was always told to assembly line my Minis(when I played 40k), and it would go faster.

This was possibly some of the worst advice I had ever gotten, Painting for an hour to get 3 colors on a model, and needing 20+ hours to finish one model(I would finish ten but the rest would all snap together right after the first one) really discouraged me.

Now I paint models in bites, 2-3 models from start to finish sometimes I paint 3 models the same pose, and work them to about 50% completion then paint everything I don't need to mix special then mix special and do them all. Sometimes it's just a random assortment of dudes, that I slap paint on as each one is drying. If one catchs my fancy I won't paint anything but just that one dude. Some models I hate, get the Erosion method. I paint them a little bit at the start, Just a tiny bit, maybe 2 minutes, and I chip away at them for weeks till I get them mostly done then I polish them off. That is how I got Markov/Fernis/Ulhans finished I loathed painting them so I didn't punish myself, I just chipped away in manageable bits.

It can help to think about what is going on when you are in your groove when painting. Thing about the conditions that get you at your best and cultivate them. For me when I paint, hardcore techno/metal in headphones(To isolate me from distractions), I use to use movies, Unless they were a tiny handful they would distract me and I would not work at my best. Also I found that I painted longer, and stronger when I organised my paints into ROYGBIV, not having to search for a color would keep my head in the game. The last thing I learned is that I can't have random models sitting around me. The work space is for one thing painting 3 dudes, all the other guys get dropped on the other side of my painting thing where I can't see them. The key I think is finding which things work for you.

The key to enjoying painting is the key to enjoying anything. Being successful. I teach Math for a living, and the key to getting a student to grind out the necessary math problems to become skillful is to set up easy to attain goals so they feel successful, and can build on that success to work stronger and longer. That is why the daily thing is a common suggestion, If you do 15 minutes 4 days a week, you are being successful and it's easy to do, once you start knocking down models with this steady pace you will want it more, and those painting things will stretch out and you will like it more, because it's a successful activity, then you will start expanding your knowledge as you become comfortable with the activity and improve as a painter.

Lastly, and this is something I had to learn for myself, is it isn't a race. I have painted nearly 180 Khadoran models(and 100s of others odds and ends), but I started with nearly 150 bare metal ones. What happened? 7 years of chipping away at them a little at a time. I mean think about it, You will own these models forever, and when they are painted they will stay painted basically forever. This means every model you finish will be finished forever, so just keep moving forward painting a little a time, and then eventually you will have all your models painted. It doesn't matter that it takes 7 years, it's done and you will enjoy it.
    No Pity for the Majority

My work ethic style with painting, I never thought of it?

Assembly lines can be good or bad depending on what your working on, but are certainly not the be all and end all solution to painting. I do it on occasion, but not really with Privateer Press games. It can be discouraging given certain context like large batches.

Bites, as you call it, is good. I try to mix it up. I might do a group of 6 infantry, then a beast, then maybe a single model like a caster, than a group of solos, and change it around so it does not get boring and repetitive. It can be easier on the morale doing it this way.

Sometimes I have done basecoats for three or four units, say in warhammer, and then left them for six months, and come back to them. This worked too. It was like I was starting on them from the beginning, but somebody had already done all my basecoats just the way I liked them, with only a wash and a highlight to go!
    Movies and TV is the way for me, no music. Lately I find writing what to do on a list, and then giving it an order, and putting a check on it, like – blue basecoat on flesh, done, helps. It lets me know how far I have come with a model.

Ah, baby steps, I get you. Good point on the Khadors.

Something that has helped me is joining painting competitions and challenges on forums. I really liked participating in Tale of Warmahordes 2012 and am looking forward to the one for 2013.

I like the Tale of Warmahordes because it gives you a simple, yet achievable goal of 5 points a month, which altogether adds up to a good sized army (50 points in a year, plus at least 1 caster)! Life got in the way for 2 and a half months or so and I had to use my "get out of painting this month) cards, but the reason I started painting regularly again was because I realized if I didn't finish something in a week, I'd have dropped out of the challenge.

I also participate in a two-month painting competition on another forum, which is simply to paint 20 "bases" worth of models in two months, with larger bases counting for more.

I guess what I'm trying to say, in a rambling sort of way, is to set goals and have them be achievable. And doing so in a forum challenge format helps you stay accountable and motivated.

Good luck and have fun painting

Quote Originally Posted by joelker41 View Post

I wish I enjoyed assy and conversion work, I struggle with that part, but love to paint. Sometimes I put off a figure because of the assy and pinning involved.

I'm working on my painting motivation as well, just set up a blog (in my sig) to chronicle this.
    Currently painting: Exemplar Errants + UA
    If I'm talking like this, you probably didn't read this.

Studio Painter

Minotaur, if you are trying to also lengthen the amount of time you sit for try timing yourself to a movie. I started watching/listening to the Lord of the Rings Extended DVDs to time myself and make myself sit longer. At first it was just getting through one disc. Then I increased that to 2 discs. Now, I can manage to sit for 12 hours.

Also give audiobooks a try. I listen to them at work and find they really help. You get to catch up on "reading" too and stay current with books and if you have a great narrator it's a very enjoyable experience. And since you can find books that are 8+ hours long you can sit and enjoy yourself and not even notice the time.

Another thing is don't set up too many models at once. Even when painting a unit I will try to paint three at a time when I'm at home. More than that and I start itching to paint only one model (which is how I prefer to paint).

And yes, even people at the top of the painting food chain have these things to worry about. Especially people like me. I have ADD and found it really hard to sit for long periods of time when I first started out. Now it's not so bad but I definitely have a routine and have things to keep me focused on painting. Audiobooks REALLY help me with that! And get some good noise canceling headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by ObsidianXIII View Post
    Something that has helped me is joining painting competitions and challenges on forums. I really liked participating in Tale of Warmahordes 2012 and am looking forward to the one for 2013.

I like the Tale of Warmahordes because it gives you a simple, yet achievable goal of 5 points a month, which altogether adds up to a good sized army (50 points in a year, plus at least 1 caster)! Life got in the way for 2 and a half months or so and I had to use my "get out of painting this month) cards, but the reason I started painting regularly again was because I realized if I didn't finish something in a week, I'd have dropped out of the challenge.

I also participate in a two-month painting competition on another forum, which is simply to paint 20 "bases" worth of models in two months, with larger bases counting for more.

I guess what I'm trying to say, in a rambling sort of way, is to set goals and have them be achievable. And doing so in a forum challenge format helps you stay accountable and motivated.

Good luck and have fun painting
    Me and my Friend do this, we have the Challenge, You say what your going to paint this week(any amount is fine), and if you don't do it you buy the other guy dinner.
    No Pity for the Majority

i used to be able to paint a 1k warhammer army in about 5 hours
    after having an accident and damaging my hands i can sit down and paint for anything up to 1hour (weather,cold,and heat all have an effect)
    then my hands do lock up and im sat in pain for anything up to 12 hours
    i have set a side 10 mins every night to try and put a single colour on 3/4 figures (10 mins does not include setup)

@ PPS_Meg

I'll give that a try with American Dad on DVD instead, just my own personal preference. I have a few 40K audio books, so I'll give that a whirl too. Yeah, I always have models around and it can throw one's game off. I have moved everything I am not working on into another room onto shelves, and only have painted models nearby I intend on playing with. Noise cancelling headphones to block out other noises in the house is it?

@ DaemonCalibre

I used to do challenges with friends, but I won a few, as I was waaay more enthusiastic at the time with painting, and the friends lost interest.

@ Ghost machine

That sounds very painful. Is painting models worth it with that condition?

I have still same problem, but I motivate my self listening music.
    And lot of coffee

When I did go gunsmith schools and start work same time, I lost my interesting painting over 1,5 years;(
    If I stop painting, its unlikely i start painting again same day.

If I paint ONE figure ready I get coffee, if I paint ONE more I can go smithing or building my power hammer
    Its work like now, because coffee, smithing and power hammer are what i really wanna do right now

My motivate get low if I dont get result what i wanna, like how paint ametist

No buying of new models until I have finished what I have!
    I started it with my current Khador army and it is to date the only army I have had anywhere near painted! (I have some warcasters that I am yet to use so haven't painted them but they are next before I do any more assembly). This process has worked well for me.
    Hopefully this thread should inspire you to get your last few models done!

sebbo - that simply didn't work out for me

I am somehow in a similar position and for me - as mentioned already - the solution often is to just start painting.
    I set up the mini in front of me and just get started.

And if creativity and fun strike me I even manage to complete a mini in a whole run nowadays
    Then there are times I simply have to stop at a certain point and let the mini sit for a whole day doing another one.
    But be careful not to start too many project and have them run parallel because you will somehow lose track and never finish anything.

Another thing a friend of mine - Sauklaue, quite a good painter himself -gave me as an advice:
    Write a liste and finish this list for playing - kind of motivation to get it nice and done
    Last edited by Sebi; 01-06-2013 at 02:49 AM.

@ sebbo6

I am most certainly getting there, another evening or two has to go into the Pyg Bushwhackers but I did a nice bit last night. One of the problems I had was deciding the order to paint things in, and putting the paints in a line and going from one to the other, which demoralised me when I had, say ten paints out.

While not painting without painted minis is a good idea to some, and an idea I was fond of until recently, I had to change it a bit for myself. I have loads and loads of models on the backburner to paint, so I do as follows:

(1) Assemble, prime and basecoat the model
    (2) It is now ok to play a game with it
    (3) I play a game with it, I am not allowed another until I do the washes
    (4) I can play another, but then am not allowed another until I do the next set of highlights

So on, and so forth. At least that way the models see the table.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast