Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    I quit my job and became a publisher I guess whatever exPPS_Simon's Avatar

Oh snap!!!

EDIT: Answers quite a few questions people have been wondering. Still some left out there unanswered but this is awesome.
    Last edited by Yigg; 02-22-2013 at 10:57 AM.

And there was much rejoicing!

The biggest contradiction with my campaign is the ban on mechanikal magelocks, but I think none have come up, so I can still safely ban them retroactively. Not sure why they're banned, I'll have to think about which variant I want to keep.

I'm not sure why some things got FAQed instead of errata'd, but it's in keeping with PP's history, given how tactical tips work. :-P I'll have to sit down with my party's cutthroat; now that Specialization doesn't do what it says it does, he'll want to replace it with something more useful.

I like that Bone Shaker is fixed, but I'm going to need to house modify it before I let it near my party; if it bypasses the injury table my party will die very quickly from being RFPed into Urcaen, but if it doesn't, most of the spell will usually do nothing.
    Last edited by quindraco; 02-22-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Looks great. I particular like the FAQ part. Might it be an idea to have a semi-official FAQ thread where we could ask questions that might be picked for future FAQ material?

Destroyer of Worlds captainspud's Avatar

Good fixes.

Approved.

*nods sagely*
    The ignorant must be beaten with the Mallet of Wisdom until their heads are swollen and inflamed with knowledge.
    Check out my new blog, Captain Spud Is Amazing, where I post things on the schedule of "Whenever something's finished."
    My Painting/Conversion Thread | Full Privateer Release Schedule

Thanks for the update!

Just in time for my first game awesome!

When in doubt, grit your teeth, snarl something memorable, and shove a 'jack down your opponent's throat just to prove you can.

Ooo, yikes. The Field Mechanik starting 'jack of choice just lost 6 damage boxes.

Destroyer of Worlds captainspud's Avatar

It never had them. They announced within a week of publishing that it was an error, and the sample adventure was published with the correct smaller grid.
    The ignorant must be beaten with the Mallet of Wisdom until their heads are swollen and inflamed with knowledge.
    Check out my new blog, Captain Spud Is Amazing, where I post things on the schedule of "Whenever something's finished."
    My Painting/Conversion Thread | Full Privateer Release Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by captainspud View Post
    It never had them. They announced within a week of publishing that it was an error, and the sample adventure was published with the correct smaller grid.
    Ah...I see. I wish I had noticed that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Zakriv View Post
    Ah...I see. I wish I had noticed that before.
    I bet you did

Conqueror

So I can't use a Leather Armor AND a Armored Great Coat at same time?

Quote Originally Posted by quindraco View Post
    I like that Bone Shaker is fixed, but I'm going to need to house modify it before I let it near my party; if it bypasses the injury table my party will die very quickly from being RFPed into Urcaen, but if it doesn't, most of the spell will usually do nothing.
    It clearly says destroys rather than incs. Ultimately it seems like it would shine against mooks rather than full fledged life spiral npcs considering they are destroyed as soon as their hp has been reduced to 0. This works for me rather than letting pcs inc the boss in a non lethal way and run him at someone else as a undead.

I am glad that clarification came out!!

EDIT: Quite a huge blow for Gunmages, though.... previously you could have a Gunmage with 5 runeplates... I think Warcaster might be the better damage choice for guns... Get a Mechanica hand cannon, put accuracy on it, blessed, and a bond plate on it... and you're good to go..
    Last edited by Beckman; 02-22-2013 at 12:38 PM.
    Longjaw Stonehide (0xp) - Newly Incarcerated! - (Izaak Markov's Dragonslayers)
    Decklin Belgre (18xp) - Hijinks on the High Seas
    Jonas Blackburn (27xp) - Iron West Company
    Longjaw Stonehide (5xp) - Guards of the Blackwoods (Thread Inactive)
    Thomas Redcliff (4xp) - Coin is King (Thread Inactive)

Annihilator

So...if Gunmages can't get mechanika magelocks...how to Sloane and Caine exist? Both are Canon gunmage warcasters and you can't buy extra attacks without it being bonded as a mechanika weapon with a runeplate.

I know it's not supposed to be 100% a match with the wargame...but Sloane's fluff is that it's a Magelock Rifle.

Destroyer of Worlds

I feel Specialization must deserve an I told you so for all those that thought it would counter all penalties.

I also like the new ability for storm-blades I hope the rule on it is actually "close shot [storm glaive]" opening that ability for future use. I also feel that it clarifies that yes, the two -4 penalities for ranged attacks are meant to stack (-8) and each have ways to get rid of them.

I feel that the exact rules for using the storm glaive ranged attack need to be FAQ'd although I also feel like close shot makes it seem that it's not involving great weapon. (from a balance eye).
    And her beauty was all the more perfect and serene, preserved forever within that great glacier of ice.

Det. Bobby Happytime Bobby Hostile's Avatar

I think it is balanced and I'm playing an Arcane Mechanik/Gun Mage. Imagine making a Magelock Handcannon and putting those same rule plates on it? I think it preserves the role of the Gun Mage. I'm okay with it.

Quote Originally Posted by PPS_MrSoles View Post
    Before anyone freaks out all Protectorate-style, WAIT UNTIL YOU READ THE RULES AS WRITTEN.

Conqueror

Wohooo....thanks!

THANK YOU!

You are the men(and women).. thank you! just in time for my games this weekend.
    Of Gods and Lions: Joseph Lachance,,The Dispatch: Kil Da Brat - CDA Troubleshooter,Be Swift, Be Cunning:Legion of Everblight:Valens Despero Blighted Nyss Swordsman/Legionairre,: Head of the Snake:Zakhar Dremyen,Rastovik of the Greylords, Seals of Fate: Sinai McGregor

Annihilator

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Hostile View Post
    I think it is balanced and I'm playing an Arcane Mechanik/Gun Mage. Imagine making a Magelock Handcannon and putting those same rule plates on it? I think it preserves the role of the Gun Mage. I'm okay with it.
    Technically it does less to preserve it. As a Warcaster can get extra attacks via the bond plate while the gunmage has no innate source of extra attacks. Also: Magelock Handcannons don't exist until some book comes out with more options for gunmages.

Quote Originally Posted by Judanas View Post
    So...if Gunmages can't get mechanika magelocks...how to Sloane and Caine exist? Both are Canon gunmage warcasters and you can't buy extra attacks without it being bonded as a mechanika weapon with a runeplate.

I know it's not supposed to be 100% a match with the wargame...but Sloane's fluff is that it's a Magelock Rifle.
    good question.
    how does a player get a feat that allows them to make an attack against every model in their control area, or adds +5 armor to every model in their control area...

for that matter, how do any warcasters manage so many Warjack Bonds... (Read the magnus Fluff... when he invades Cryx while working under Vinter, he bonds to no less than 8 warjacks... combined with his armor, weapons, and spell list, it puts him, at that time, beyond the ability of most PC warcasters IIRC)

named heroes do not play be the same rules as the PCs...
    "In Space no one can hear you scream, unless it is the battle cry of the United States Marines..."
    After many years, I've come to the conclusion that if you are more concerned more about your win than you are about you and the other player having a fun time, you need a different hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Hostile View Post
    You can't do that anyways, since a Hand Cannon is a different item than a Magelock Pistol. What this stops is people from making Mechanika Magelock weapons that have Mechanika Plates on them... Which I think is a little bit of overkill, but whatever.
    Longjaw Stonehide (0xp) - Newly Incarcerated! - (Izaak Markov's Dragonslayers)
    Decklin Belgre (18xp) - Hijinks on the High Seas
    Jonas Blackburn (27xp) - Iron West Company
    Longjaw Stonehide (5xp) - Guards of the Blackwoods (Thread Inactive)
    Thomas Redcliff (4xp) - Coin is King (Thread Inactive)

Annihilator

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Smigs View Post
    Named heroes do not play be the same rules as the PCs...
    I'm not just comparing it to the rules of the wargame. The wargame is not a perfect representation of the world...however, Sloane's rifle IS expressly supposed to be a Magelock gun. This is a fluff thing as well. Mechanika Magelocks exist in fluff...so why does the RPG say they cannot exist?

I am going to keep the option of mechanikal magelocks as major rewards being custom made for that person. Same with Storm Glaives.

The idea is that the mechanikal versions are very expensive and hard to do. IE Tailor made to even higher tolerances, this is not the factory made stuff, but precision hand made special issue equipment, not handed out lightly.

As a Warcaster can get extra attacks via the bond plate while the gunmage has no innate source of extra attacks.
    You mean other than Two Fister?

Destroyer of Worlds

I'm not just comparing it to the rules of the wargame. The wargame is not a perfect representation of the world...however, Sloane's rifle IS expressly supposed to be a Magelock gun. This is a fluff thing as well. Mechanika Magelocks exist in fluff...so why does the RPG say they cannot exist?
    Are you sure it isn't just magical?
    And her beauty was all the more perfect and serene, preserved forever within that great glacier of ice.

Destroyer of Worlds bouncymischa's Avatar

Heck, are we certain Kara Sloan's gun is even mechanikal? Admittedly, it's been ages since I read any of her fluff, so it could be confirmed that it's mechanika, but setting aside the issue of a bond plate (because her ability to boost with the weapon could be an artifact of the wargame rules, rather than evidence of a bond plate) is there any other evidence of mechanika on it?
    My Cleansers have killed: 2 Combine members, Finn, pNemo, Sentinel, Lord of the Feast, eMadrak, Mordikaar, pKreuger, Molik Karn, Calaban
    Lord Carver has successfully raided: Xerxis, Shae, Nemo
    2012 Cygnar Challenge! The sturdy grunts of the Irregular 11th versus the gleaming mechanika of the Flashing 1st!

Reading the forces of warmachine: Cygnar book. Pg. 60 paragraph 1 sentence 4: "Armed with her custom magelock rifle.." and pg 60. Paragraph 5 "...sloan was issued Spitfire, the custom rifle built to her exacting specifications."

Her rifle is Range 14 Pow 12. Making it a heavy rifle. It has what looks like it would be a custom scope (likely mechanika as nothing says that part cannot be) so actually its not mechanika.

also because of the gunmage spells she wouldn't need to have a bonded Rifle.
    R.I.P. Greedo1379 (1980-2006)...known by many, misssed by all.

While Kara Sloan is a gun mage and Spitfire is a magelock rifle, it would be a mistake to consider it anything like a template for magelock rifles and gun mage abilities in the RPG.

The powerful abilities evinced by Captain Sloan and her unique rifle should be considered in light of the fact that Spitfire is a magelock weapon crafted by the most brilliant gunsmiths at the disposal of one of the most advanced armories in all of western Immoren, loaded with specialized ammunition, and used in the hands of a puissant warcaster with powers beyond the scope of the roleplaying game.

Or what simon said in much more eloquent terms
    R.I.P. Greedo1379 (1980-2006)...known by many, misssed by all.

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Simon View Post
    While Kara Sloan is a gun mage and Spitfire is a magelock rifle, it would be a mistake to consider it anything like a template for magelock rifles and gun mage abilities in the RPG.

The powerful abilities evinced by Captain Sloan and her unique rifle should be considered in light of the fact that Spitfire is a magelock weapon crafted by the most brilliant gunsmiths at the disposal of one of the most advanced armories in all of western Immoren, loaded with specialized ammunition, and used in the hands of a puissant warcaster with powers beyond the scope of the roleplaying game.
    Can you sticky something about characters from the wargame =/ characters in the rpg?

Though thank you for confirming that the rifle is indeed a magelock weapon (confirming that the technology does exist despite it being outside the scope of the rpg currently).

I feel that warcasters from the wargame are probably at least 1 category higher than rpg characters can currently get.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Can you sticky something about characters from the wargame =/ characters in the rpg?

Though thank you for confirming that the rifle is indeed a magelock weapon (confirming that the technology does exist despite it being outside the scope of the rpg currently).

I feel that warcasters from the wargame are probably at least 1 category higher than rpg characters can currently get.
    I don't think it's quite as cut and dried as that, you can create a highly potent warcaster when you reach Epic Level tier of experience advancement. That said, if we'd attempted to directly model our WARMACHINE warcasters it would be a dramatically different game with a very distinct focus on battlefield engagements.

Destroyer of Worlds

I don't think it's quite as cut and dried as that, you can create a highly potent warcaster when you reach Epic Level tier of experience advancement. That said, if we'd attempted to directly model our WARMACHINE warcasters it would be a dramatically different game with a very distinct focus on battlefield engagements.
    If you ever do model the warcasters into the rpg, please don't try to maintain "balance" between them. I completely understand why in the wargame any iteration of the characters must be balanced but clearly in the fluff a hierarchy exists such that some casters are clearly better than others (and some are clearly way out of the scale of the rpg characters at max rank imo. Although I agree that many might not be).

Are we likely to get another FAQ? (mainly just on storm glaive exactly what you mean by making an attack roll using POI - the only major debate I feel wasn't addressed).

I'm sorry, but all I get out of this statement is: "The characters in the IK world that were made up for the canon are super-awesome, way more awesome than your guy will ever be. So they get cool stuff that you don't."

A very large draw for some in playing the IKRPG is to emulate the cool characters present in the setting...not to play them, but to play people like them. Saying "you can play people like them, only less cool" is kind of a slap, IMO.

Please don't take that to mean "I hate the game!" or that the errata was unwelcome...but I want to give honest feedback, and I call 'em like I see 'em.

Conqueror

on a more technical note has anyone else experienced any problems printing out the errata, im running into an issue where the first page tries to print about A2 size and the 2nd page prints normally, ive tried changing all settings but keep running into same issue
    Broken Shard's is feeling curmudgeonly.................Part of the more to Cygnar then gunmages party

Quote Originally Posted by HowlandReed View Post
    I'm sorry, but all I get out of this statement is: "The characters in the IK world that were made up for the canon are super-awesome, way more awesome than your guy will ever be. So they get cool stuff that you don't."

A very large draw for some in playing the IKRPG is to emulate the cool characters present in the setting...not to play them, but to play people like them. Saying "you can play people like them, only less cool" is kind of a slap, IMO.

Please don't take that to mean "I hate the game!" or that the errata was unwelcome...but I want to give honest feedback, and I call 'em like I see 'em.
    While balance between classes and races was not our primary concern, the basic fact is that if we had added Feats, abilities, and equipment to the game to model those warcasters, they would have overshadowed every other character option to a staggering degree. I get where you're coming from but that was just not the kind of game we wanted to present for the RPG.

Callooh! Callay!

Thank you for the clarifications and errata, Simon and the others who worked on this!
    David Gordon
    Doomsayer
    @OniNoDave on Twitter

While balance between classes and races was not our primary concern, the basic fact is that if we had added Feats, abilities, and equipment to the game to model those warcasters, they would have overshadowed every other character option to a staggering degree. I get where you're coming from but that was just not the kind of game we wanted to present for the RPG.
    I don't think anyone should expect to outclass the iconic characters of the setting. If anything, the GM can downplay their importance, if he wants his players to shine. Any setting has a level that PCs aren't supposed to reach (easily, at least) so I think that's fine. It's great that we have some errata, and I'd love to see the FAQ expanded on. Perhaps it could be part of the friday thing, pick a few questions from the forums and clarify them. That'd be pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaunyeh View Post
    I don't think anyone should expect to outclass the iconic characters of the setting. If anything, the GM can downplay their importance, if he wants his players to shine.
    I can agree that this is a reasonable way to keep the focus on the PCs (where I feel it should be).

Any setting has a level that PCs aren't supposed to reach (easily, at least) so I think that's fine.
    While I agree with this statement, that caveat (easily, at least) is VERY important. Remove that caveat, and I disagree utterly. PCs and NPCs (not monsters, like dragons and such, but normal humans) should be on the same level. If an NPC can attain/achieve it, so can a PC...with time and effort. Anything else is GM-wankery.

Quote Originally Posted by Geist View Post
    Reading the forces of warmachine: Cygnar book. Pg. 60 paragraph 1 sentence 4: "Armed with her custom magelock rifle.." and pg 60. Paragraph 5 "...sloan was issued Spitfire, the custom rifle built to her exacting specifications."

Her rifle is Range 14 Pow 12. Making it a heavy rifle. It has what looks like it would be a custom scope (likely mechanika as nothing says that part cannot be) so actually its not mechanika.
    PG.4 of the Warmachine: Cygnar book, last paragraph on the page, second sentence "Spitfire was a sophisticated work of mechanikal engineering, as refined a piece of artillery as could be found in the Cygnaran Armory."

So yeah, it is mechanikal. It is also super amazing, one of a kind military tech, so yeah.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast