Default Asking for tips on Maelok Theme Force

Greetings my new Minion Brethren!

I recently became the owner of a Blindwater Congregation Army. I’ve been reading around on the forums for general strategies and what not. There is a tournament coming up this Saturday at my LGS that I was thinking about attending. It is a 50-pt Stream Roller, Theme list tournament, which you have to hit tier three requirements with your army in order to play. I currently only have the available models for the “Maelok the Dreadbound” Theme Force, the other Warlocks are being painted by someone.

Aside from meeting the requirements for tier three of Maelok’s theme list, is there anything that is a must for him? Also, what are the typical forces that are going to give this theme list a hard time? I read recently about how Maelok can play attrition very well and have a decent assassination run during his feat.

Any advice would be awesome, thanks!

- JJMJester
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlaharen View Post
    If you're having Cryx problems I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a lich ain't one

My advice on Maelok? Play as many Gatormen Posse units as you can and keep one person in each unit back a little bit so they can't be killed.
    Quote Originally Posted by She
    That's what

Posses, (Shamblers), lotsa Docs and I personally like to run Tophatman&Snappyjaws with him... taking out Spirit on really dangerous Warbeasts helps a lot against those beast spam lists... but whatever you do 2 full Posses with Maelok... ALWAYS!

theme force wise I'm not actually sure but I would guess Family Reunion or pDoomy's Runeshaper spam could give you a hard time... Maelok does attrition very well but Fearless Weapon Masters turn into a problem very quickly...

Warjacks taken out with swamp templates: 9
    Warlocks/Casters assassinated with Flying Masked Crocodiles: 3

Destroyer of Worlds

Posse models block off a lot of table area with a medium base and Reach so you'll often want to run one out in front of the pack in order to block charges. Stacking Spiny Growth and Death Pact means that a posse model can get to arm 22 in melee so most weaponmasters will be swinging at dice -10 or worse. Even Bane Thralls are dice -9, dealing only about 5 damage (on average) on the charge. So by stacking armor and limiting your opponent's access to your models, you really should only be losing a few posse models each round, and Maelok can comfortably bring one back each round. So you'll generally be grinding down your opponent if you do it right, and then assassinating on the feat turn (I usually upkeep Malediction from turn 2/3 onwards in preparation for the feat).

The whole thing collapses when you come up against good upkeep removal. If e.Eiryss is present you'll need to have a way to kill her asap, I usually use the Totem Hunter for this. If the caster/warlock has Purification or Hex Blast, though, then you are probably going to have a tough time.

problem with maelok in general is armor cracking. Someone sticks an eHaley tier out there with a stormwall you will be in serious hurt.

Pack dual wrastlers, two Max posse, two docs, and fill from there. Bodies are important. Maybe even Wrong/Eye/Snapjaw.

Introduction to Retribution

Retribution Strategy articles on handcannononline.com:
    Retribution 2013 Review
    Retribution/Cygnar/Menoth Player for Removed from Play: Into the Arena and Decked Out

Quote Originally Posted by MMMMK View Post
    The whole thing collapses when you come up against good upkeep removal. If e.Eiryss is present you'll need to have a way to kill her asap, I usually use the Totem Hunter for this. If the caster/warlock has Purification or Hex Blast, though, then you are probably going to have a tough time.
    Well I have to stick to the Theme List for the tournament on Saturday, so Totem Hunter sadly would not be an option. Also, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be running into a lot of armor armies at this Tournament. This theme force is the only one I have models for so I'm just going to play to have fun, just wanted to snag some tips since I've never played him before.

Also, thanks to everyone who has given their tips in response for my question.
    If you're having Cryx problems I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a lich ain't one

oh one more tip:

don't forget that power 16 sacrificial strikes are amazing

Warjacks taken out with swamp templates: 9
    Warlocks/Casters assassinated with Flying Masked Crocodiles: 3

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by JJMJester View Post
    Well I have to stick to the Theme List for the tournament on Saturday, so Totem Hunter sadly would not be an option. Also, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be running into a lot of armor armies at this Tournament. This theme force is the only one I have models for so I'm just going to play to have fun, just wanted to snag some tips since I've never played him before.

Also, thanks to everyone who has given their tips in response for my question.
    One last thing- if you see a bad matchup accross the table then just go for assassination. You might be surprised by who you can kill if you get Maelok within Malediction range (Feat turn!) and a few posse/beasts get the charge off.

Hey everyone thought I would give an update about the tournament I had over the weekend. It was a pretty big turnout for my LGS, with players from New Orleans coming over to get games in Baton Rouge. The tournament ended up being four rounds but I only had time for the first three and then had to leave. I only ended up winning one of my games but it was against a Skorne player running Dominar Rasheth "Chain Gang" tier list with all of the Titans in the world. I took the advice from this forum and worked towards the assassination run with my army instead of really trying to take down his army (which wasn't going to happen lol).

So, towards the end of the game I had a unit for Gatormen Posse with only two left in the unit engaged by Titans. "Dominar Rasheth was behind a wall that was also behind the titans with only one fury on him (had spent it all taking out the Bog Trogs that appeared near his caster). I first ran one of my Feralgeist six inches ahead of one of the titans that had a Gatorman Posse member engaging it. I then moved up my Blackhide Wrastler up to the Gatorman Posse member and two-handed threw him at the feralgeist boosting to hit of course. I then used the Wrstler's animus to make that gatorman unit stand up. Maelok activates (already used feat early in the game to take less dmg from titans) and uses all of his fury to bring back two gatorman members to that unit, three inches from the Gatorman unit that is now by the Feralgeist. I activated the Gatorman unit, they receive the prayer for Pathfinder and charge "Dominar Rasheth". I got all three gatormen units in with all of their attacks, only took four attacks to get the kill.
    Army List:

50/50 pts
    Maelok, the Dreadbound (+6 pts)
    -Bone Swarm (4pts)
    -Bull Snapper (3pts)
    -Blackhide Wrastler (9pts)
    -Ironback Spitter (8pts)
    Bog Trog Ambushers (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
    Gatormen Posse (Leader and 4 Grunts) (9pts)
    Gatormen Posse (Leader and 4 Grunts) (9pts)
    Feralgeist x 2 (2pts)
    Gatorman Witch Doctor x 2 (4 pts)

I ended up losing my other two games but I learned how tough a Maelok list can be. My favorite quote from an opponent during the tournament was "Man, Zombie Gators are tough as nails!".

Thanks to everyone for the advice and I now love me some Zombie Gators!

Yeah, I love how tough the gators are to kill with Maelok. Great fun
    QUOTE (poeticruse @ Mar 27 2009, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    So please, think of the goats. Don't demand official answers.
    QUOTE (poeticruse @ Apr 16 2009, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    "fruitbatbananacoated"

I love watching my opponents army wash against a wall of undead high ARM gators but as stated above as soon as someone drops a gargossol on the table assassination is realistically your only option.

Against something like pHayley & Stormwall with that no run/charge spell in play all those high arm gators count for essentially nothing.
    Revives are key, the dual revive around models or obstacles are extremely hard to block & Maelok being uncommon (in my circles at least) is often unexpected.
    A lone gator or 2 might not get the caster kill but they can often hold them in place a round & let you get a heavy or Mealok in to finish the job.

Purple Crocs Painting Blog: Here Aussie Trolls Painting Blog: Here PIG-tectorate of Menoth Blog: Here

One key lesson I learned in that Tournament with Maelok was figuring out when to upkeep spells and when to double revive some Gators. If you're going up against Bane Thralls/Skone Titans, then you'll probably be better off doing double revive (Which will cause your opponent to sigh because he's got to kill those gators....again ). The reason is that your opponent will be doing enough damage to not care about your armor. Now if you're going up against other stuff (Non-Armor Cracking Units/Models) and don't have a shot at assassination, then upkeep spells to make your Gatorman Posse unit Super High Armor.

Destroyer of Worlds

Against Thralls you'll still want to get Spiny Growth on any Posse that are going to be charged. I never double Revive, personally, unless I get extra Fury from souls or I'm going for an all or nothing assassination because without Fury Maelok isn't much better off than a solo with extra damage boxes. And I've screwed myself many times on feat turn where I didn't have Malediction upkept so I almost always upkeep it if I know I'm going for the assassination at some point. Just something to think on.

Good tips in this thread! Thanks! I just had my first couple games with Maelok, and although I love him, I lost. Lol. I wasn't putting Spiny Growth on my Posse's though... gotta remember to do that. How are you guys getting enough fury to put spiny growth on the entire posse though?

So, how do you guys handle a four fury Maelok? (assuming upkeeping Malediction and Death Pact). You can do a revive and just leave him hanging out in the back in the four fury, or do you move him forward to get some souls usually?
    Last edited by The_Wretch; 06-10-2013 at 08:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by eSevy
    "Walk me closer, I want to hit them with my staff!"

If your posse are positioned properly you should only need to spiny growth one or two of them.
    That's what

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Jestor View Post
    If your posse are positioned properly you should only need to spiny growth one or two of them.
    Yep, that plus I usually take 2 Snappers with Maelok.

I hardly ever cast Malediction unless the turn before I know a charge is about to happen. 5 fury gives me more room to play with things.

I run 1-2 Bullsnappers along with a few Posse units and wrastlers or swampies..

I play Maelock back behind the lines and let the posse members do all the work. Fun caster, super attritiony, but no real hitting power which can lead to some bad match ups.
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Dougseacat View Post
    Words are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfenstein View Post
    I hardly ever cast Malediction unless the turn before I know a charge is about to happen. 5 fury gives me more room to play with things.

I run 1-2 Bullsnappers along with a few Posse units and wrastlers or swampies..

I play Maelock back behind the lines and let the posse members do all the work. Fun caster, super attritiony, but no real hitting power which can lead to some bad match ups.

I've been playing Maelok since I picked up Blindwater not too long ago and been having a blast. That being said, he does have some issues with hitting power and/or adding hitting power to his army. Maelok turns the already awesome Gatorman Posse into walking undead tanks as they go up the middle of the board. The issue however is when you run into high armor that doesn't die during a Gatorman Posse charge. The Bogtrog Ambushers actually help out here since they have CMA, just got to keep an eye out for for CMD checks (Go Go Witch Doc Croc!).

After playing games with Maelok I agree with you Wulfenstein about not needing to cast Malediction unless you're about to commit Maelok all in. If you cast Malediction first time like other upkeep spells then it'll be one less fury for the rest of the game that's not getting it's money worth. So Death Pact is really the only upkeep spell you'll want to cast first turn and keep it going for most of the game.

So, my personal biggest weakness with Maelok is using his Feat aggressively and not defensively. I usually get into the position where I'm about to be charged and pop feat so that my front Death Pact Gatorman unit is pretty much a iron wall of Gator. I need to start holding back and trying to use the Feat more aggressively to get behind enemy lines and cause more pressure on my opponents army.

On another note, i've been thinking of doing Maelok outside of Theme list so that I can run him with three units of Gatorman Posse!

It's a learning experience but Zombie Gatorz are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jestor View Post
    Could I have an example?

I would think he is talking about putting SG on the bait models. Unless you are commited to an all or nothing ordeal. You shouldn't have everyone up front.

Too often do people over commit everything when it isn't needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Dougseacat View Post
    Words are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfenstein View Post
    I would think he is talking about putting SG on the bait models. Unless you are commited to an all or nothing ordeal. You shouldn't have everyone up front.

Too often do people over commit everything when it isn't needed.

True, but I figure you would have more than two/three GMP on the frontlines during combat. Maelok cant really handle two snappers using SG and a couple heavies, not to mention he can only really cast it once himself if youre upkeeping both spells without putting himself at risk. I guess you really should have one of the snappers on wrong eye though. Still. Guess you just have to play it out however you think its best. I personally like to keep a SG on Maelok/Wrongeye/Heavies as well for that extra bump.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Wretch View Post
    Could I have an example?
    This is just a sample formation. Obviously everything is always played differently based on terrain and enemy model placement. All circles are 40mm and all lines are 2".

On the approach my favorite formation is either a pyramid or this -

Note that the back line is back far enough that reach troops can not hit them without taking a free strike. If they have medium or large based reach troops you need to play them back a little bit further. On engagement I will try and just do a tighter version of that formation when ever possible like this -

A large portion of playing it like this how the board set up is. Some times I will take less attacks in order to save posse members in the back for next round. You have to make the decision every time whether commiting them all is wise or not.

As far as fury issues I only run Maelok with one Snapper. I play him two ways. I play him as a back line revive bot and upkeep Death Pact every turn, revive one guy per turn and then use Spiny Growth when I am not being threatened or hold 2 fury when I am being threatened. The second way is keeping up Death Pact on a Posse, Malediction on Maelok and running him forward every turn. In this mode he should be gathering souls and leap frogging with the Death Pact unit. When I play him this way I usually can do several revives per turn thanks to souls as well as have the Snapper put Spiny Growth on him.
    That's what

Thanks a ton! I can see clearly now.