Destroyer of Worlds azoxystrobin's Avatar
    Bouhet city, near la Rochelle, France, Europe

Cool Grind rules questions

I just got grind, so great
    But the rules feel a bit odd, a bit complex for a simple game. Anyway;

The grappler thingy, it says "place" not "move" so I'm supposing regular PP jargon which means that because placement isn't movement, things that affect movement don't affect placement?
    In other words a red jack can hold the ball to increase its armor against opposing attacks (let's say 3 control points) so the ball has +3 ARM.
    A blue jack gets into range and fires the old grappler harpoon at the grinder.
    Gets 5 strikes, (so 3 to get the ARM, +2 for the harpoon to function) So the ball gets placed within reach of the blue grappler jack and no red jacks get to even attempt to stop the ball? despite magnets (how do they work?) nor how far the grinder traveled?

Pushing the grinder: Does a jack have to start adjacent to the ball to push it? or can a jack move up to the ball, then push it with the remainder of their movement allowance ?

The other thing is counting squares.
    Just like in MonPoc, the first diagonal is free, well it only costs 1 square of mvt. That's fine when it comes to jacks moving about.
    But does it apply to the ball?
    If a jack aims to smack the ball to a point 3 squares away on a diagonal, so how far has the ball moved (in order to calculate momentum) has it moved 3 squares, or has it moved 5 squares (1st diagonal = 1, 2nd diagonal = +2, 3rd diagonal = +2, for a total of +5) ?
    Oops this is explained on p10. Well, not explained, but the diagram at the top of the page shows that the second diagonal costs 2.

Why knockdown tokens? Surely we can just lay the jacks down, the squares are big enough.

Why do the steam vents have no effect?

Why only two columns?

Also, where are the other teams?
    I expect Grind was quite expensive to make (production costs, distribution and whatnot) So I was pleasantly surprised to see that Grind exists at all. I assume that cost is the reason that there hasn't been a "season 2" yet ?
    Also, the setting. We can again assume that it's set in the iron kingdoms, but where is the fluff ? Fluff would be grand. It doesn't have to be tongue in cheek silly like Bloodbowl* We don't have to have warmachine factions teams because indeed that wouldn't be plausible in the setting.
    Most of them, if not all wouldn't spare the resources (Jacks) to play games (or would they?). The Protectorate is way too busy wracking and burning and no one would want to play with Cryx anyway
    But Khador and Cygnar aren't all about fighting wars, they have treaties and trade, and so do the minor countries. (You could say even Scharde and the Protectorate deal and trade too)
    So where are the Ord and Llael teams? Maybe the Rhulic would play too? Surely all those elves can't be xenocidal maniacs?

*I like Bloodbowl, the fluff is perfect for it.
    Last edited by azoxystrobin; 05-23-2013 at 06:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by azoxystrobin View Post
    I just got grind, so great
    But the rules feel a bit odd, a bit complex for a simple game. Anyway;
    There's a certain style of rules writing where a bunch of technical terms are introduced, and gone into great detail on, and then everything follows from that. From a certain perspective, that results in perfectly understandable and straight forward rules. From a different perspective, it looks really complicated.

But that's how Warmachine/Hordes are written, how a lot of Magic:The Devouring Evil (a.k.a. Magic: the Gathering) is written, and how Grind is written.

The grappler thingy, it says "place" not "move" so I'm supposing regular PP jargon which means that because placement isn't movement, things that affect movement don't affect placement?
    In other words a red jack can hold the ball to increase its armor against opposing attacks (let's say 3 control points) so the ball has +3 ARM.
    A blue jack gets into range and fires the old grappler harpoon at the grinder.
    Gets 5 strikes, (so 3 to get the ARM, +2 for the harpoon to function) So the ball gets placed within reach of the blue grappler jack and no red jacks get to even attempt to stop the ball? despite magnets (how do they work?) nor how far the grinder traveled?

Pushing the grinder: Does a jack have to start adjacent to the ball to push it? or can a jack move up to the ball, then push it with the remainder of their movement allowance ?
    I think that's how both of those elements work--placing is placing and not movement; and you can move up to the ball and start pushing it (or whack it).

Why knockdown tokens? Surely we can just lay the jacks down, the squares are big enough.
    I'd guess because of Warmachine Mk I and the revelation that moving models when they're knocked down is probably a bad idea.

Why do the steam vents have no effect?
    Because giant robots.

Why only two columns?
    For the same reason there's only one board in the box--there's only so much room in the box, and nothing stopping you from designing and building different boards for your own use.

Also, where are the other teams?
    I expect Grind was quite expensive to make (production costs, distribution and whatnot) So I was pleasantly surprised to see that Grind exists at all. I assume that cost is the reason that there hasn't been a "season 2" yet ?
    Grind was released in October of 2009. Right about that same time, Privateer Press had this "Mark II" thing going on with their Warmachine and Hordes games. And then the whole IKRPG thing happened again.

I'm just speculating, but I think what happened to Grind is that it was Privateer Press's first side venture, and all of the other big projects compete with it for studio time. The game sets out to do something nice, it accomplishes that, and that's where it sits.

Also, the setting. We can again assume that it's set in the iron kingdoms, but where is the fluff ? Fluff would be grand. It doesn't have to be tongue in cheek silly like Bloodbowl* We don't have to have warmachine factions teams because indeed that wouldn't be plausible in the setting.
    It exists in exactly the same sort of non-canon parallel universe as Bloodbowl does, in relation to the parent intellectual property.

Someone replied !
    I've played a few games of Grind now, and I find it's a really good game, it plays really well, and I don't want to sound mean, but whereas all games with teams and a ball are going to be compared to Bloodbowl, Grind actually does stand apart, it is very different, being more akin to warmachine and monsterpocalypse than bloodbowl or any of the bloodbowl clones out there.

The rules are written in PP jargon. People familiar with this kind of rules writing won't be surprised (it's a PP game after all) However the more casual board-game players won't expect this kind of writing.
    I like it that the rules can be pretty much summed up onto a single page, well the more important rules that require looking up anyway.
    Maybe it was missing an index?

I'm itching to make a 3D modular pitch, more akin to a steel labyrinth than a simple pitch !
    I really would have liked to see more for Grind.

Conqueror

look´s like it is a little quiet here... is it?

birdy
    proud dad since 17.03.2006 06.52 AM

It's really quiet.
    Does this imply that any game with no continued support, and/or new releases isn't interesting any more?