Thread: SD Comic-Con

Question SD Comic-Con

Hey everyone,

New player here and this year will be my first attending Comic-Con in San Diego. I know PP will have a booth but will there be events to play in? Should I bring my army with me? Will the booth have merch to sell or any limited edition stuff I should battle my way through the crowds for?

I know Gen-Con is the major event for them but I cant travel to San Diego then to Indy within a month of each other (especially since Im really right in the middle of the two!)

Or is anyone going to be in San Diego and want to arrange a game or two? I am pretty new and me and about 4 of my buddies have just been bashing on each other for a month or so. Would love some outside experience.

There's several gaming groups all over the area, I can't imagine that if there's gaming space, that there wouldn't be some gamers there to use it.

Convergence Battle-box instruction link

"Convergence of Cyriss, we have the balls." ~Living Impaired
    "It's hard to talk about one part of a Convergence army without referring to at least 3 other models..."~Claudius Sol

Eater of Brains

There is a good critical mass of players in San Diego. I don't usually go to Comic-Con (got too big) but I know others do. I believe in the past there has been some games at the convention center. If you name a day of the convention you think you want to play I am sure that it will fit in the SD meta - Tuesday & Wednesdays something always going on and the county has been averaging 2 events on Saturday for a number of months. There is good gaming space in a couple of places about 15 minutes away from the convention center.

I went to comiccon a few years ago, but there were no organized warmachine events. There were demos of various games at the PP booth, but it's just not the same as other mini related conventions. That said, it's tons of fun

Also, there is a good group of ppl in the SD area who play wm/h who might be in that area and looking for games.
    The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanctjud View Post
    I am the Pedobear of the forums, except I spout out "MOAR BANEZ" instead of "FREE CANDY"!

Thanks for the input guys. Does anyone else have any specifics? Best game stores close by? Or a specific Warmachine/Hordes meetup?

Destroyer of Worlds

There has not been an actual set of tables set up at Comic Con itself for several years. It is just too big of an event in general and lugging around your minis all day was no fun, especially if there were few if any other players. Comic Con is more about movies, comic books, artists and just general pop culture. There are some board game vendors, and Privateer has been there in years past, but it is not a gaming convention like Gen Con Indy.

There are actually not a lot of stores that close to the convention centre and travelling to them from downtown is a bit tricky unless you will have a car.

Probably the closest local stores where you can play are

About 20 minutes from downtown
    Game Empire
    7051 Clairemont Mesa Blvd. Suite #306
    San Diego, CA 92111
    http://www.gameempire.com/NEWGE/index.php

About 30-40 minutes from downtown is
    At Ease Games
    12373 Poway Rd
    (between Oak Knoll Rd & Pomerado Rd)
    Poway, CA 92064

Game empire has plenty of tables, but no set warmachine night every week. At Ease has a regular warmachine night on Tuesdays.

Both stores you can almost certainly play some pick up games at though.

Do you have transportation and what days will you be in San Diego is a good place to start.
    Painted MK2
    Khador: 221, Casters 8
    Mercenaries: 135, Casters 3
    Minions: 50, Warlocks 1

Quote Originally Posted by mongre36 View Post

Do you have transportation and what days will you be in San Diego is a good place to start.
    Yes we will have a car, and we will be in San Diego from Weds 7/17 until Weds 7/24. I am somewhat familiar with SD having grown up down the 8 in El Centro so getting around is not too big of a deal.

I'll be at SDCC this year as well but I think I'll be too busy walking around to play Warmachine
    Quote Originally Posted by Plebian View Post
    Best way to convert warhammer to warmachine; ebay.

I do hope Privateer brings a demo of High Command to show off. I really want to give the game a try.

Eater of Brains

Maybe something could be set up on Saturday night at Game Empire? Their owner is trying to get WM/H back active and currently has 2 out of the 4 saturday afternoons in July marked for gaming. I talk to him on a fairly regular basis (as well as the owner up at At Ease and a couple of the press gangers). It would be "fun" to do something to meet new players.

Desires? Thoughts? Wants?

(and I can't remember on the convention calendar what is occurring on Saturday and whether a good day to leave the show or whether it is a "must" for attendees)

BTW - the web site lists that there may be games/tournaments "off site". I wonder if PP is thinking about doing something with its pretty active group of PG in San Diego. Ashlan? Others?
    Last edited by Sand20go; 06-07-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Destroyer of Worlds

Sorry, I got side tracked and did not get back to the forums.

If you are attending Comic Con and have the ticket for Saturday you probably want to attend that day as there are typically some of the largest events/celibrities/stuff happening on that day if that is why you are going. Of course it is also the most crowded and noisiest so if those events are not of interest it is not a bad day to skip either.
    Painted MK2
    Khador: 221, Casters 8
    Mercenaries: 135, Casters 3
    Minions: 50, Warlocks 1

Do the PP guys do sales at there booth or just advertise and demo? I would love to be able to pick up some CoC stuff there.

Since this is getting closer I will give this thread one more bump to see if anyone has any additional info. I would also like to know if PP will be selling at their booth?

When I was at SD Comiccon a few years ago, they were selling stuff there at the booth, as well as giving demos.
    The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanctjud View Post
    I am the Pedobear of the forums, except I spout out "MOAR BANEZ" instead of "FREE CANDY"!

Marketing Coordinator PPS_Simon's Avatar

We'll definitely be selling stuff at SDCC.

Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Simon View Post
    We'll definitely be selling stuff at SDCC.
    Good bring all your Convergence stuff I want it!!

Any chance we'll see High Command there? I reeeaaaally want to play it, so the sooner I can get it the better!
    Model Usage in Masters Lists SR2014 - Cygnar Edition
    My goal for 2014: Play at least a game a week. 3 Caster Challenge (play only 3 casters for a couple of months)
    Games played: 19 of 52+
    Current Casters: Stryker2, Siege, Haley2

And it is here. See you guys on the Exhibit Floor!

Quote Originally Posted by vladmech View Post
    Any chance we'll see High Command there? I reeeaaaally want to play it, so the sooner I can get it the better!
    Yeah any news on this front?