So I've been playing something close to this and Ive won the last 3 games. The Scattergunners have been doing very well during feat turn with Mortality up because they still receive the +2 RAT and they do not suffer from the -4 melee penalty. What makes it gravy is Mirage gets them out of combat so they can shoot and spray and the UA makes them auto miss against friendlies, so I decided to move them up to a full man unit. They get targeted right away and I lose them fast if not careful. Plus I feel I really needed more bodies on the table. Here is the latest list. Below that I've listed some synergy\combos that are very effective.
Hunters Grim 50 points
- Hunters Grim (Muggs & Krump)
- Trollkin Runebearer
- Troll Impaler
- Dire Troll Bomber
- Dire Troll Blitzer
Fell Caller Hero
Stone Scribe Chronicler
Pyg Burrowers - Leader & 9 Grunts:
Scattergunners - Leader & 9 Grunts
- Scattergunner Officer & Standard
Trollkin Scouts - Leader & 5 Grunts
Synergy in the list goes something like this:
1) Advance Deploy Dygmies and Scouts so they engage the enemy early. This helps setup the scattergunners for turn 2.
2) turn 2 possibly feat depending on the situation. Scattergunners would have Miraged and depending on position they can aim and get feat bonus or move further up for more targets and just get feat bonus. Your dygmies and scouts should be tarpitting the front line. You wont have to worry about damaging them with Scatterguns because you have the UA.
3) Dygmies and Scouts depending on positioning may also benefit from the feat bonus.
4) The Blitzer does pretty well providing I dont roll a 1 on the machine gun. When its time for melee, against a Mortality target he is almost as good as a Scythean in Melee without the reach. He has the potential for 5 initials if the dice gods are kind. With Virtuoso, if you kill the models engaging you with your fists, you can switch to a different target via the slug gun within 10 inches.
5) The Bomber should be self explanatory. 2 high dmg ranged attacks that are technically Pow 18 under Mortality. In Melee same as above with the Blitzer. Effectively RAT 7 under the Feat.
6) Impaler is there for the animus when not using the feat. You can also play more aggressively with him since you get snipe once per game for free. Ive actually considered dropping him, but I know I will miss his animus on the turns I am not using Grims feat.
7) Stone Scribe is there to put Tale of Mist up on Grim and his Pygmies or on any of the other 3 units. (Probably a wise thing to do since Grim wont typically need it on turn . You can also do the infamous head but on Grim with the impaler while Tale of Mists is up to benefit from Feign Death. (Very situational but not a bad idea against ranged opponents if you are in a pickle). Also this really denies the assassination against certain casters like pKreoss.
8) The list is really hurting when it comes to Pathfinding. Otherwise I actually may have skipped him altogether. Still, he is a good investment, especially with Dygmies or if you are trying to get off some Quick Work with the Scattergunners.
In all 3 games, I won via assassination. I try to steer clear of that because I play a lot of Steam Roller 2013 and you get more for capping control points, but a win is still a win. Every assassination had to do with Grim popping feat, casting mortality and having him snipe away 17 inches at Mat 10 (possibly 12 if aiming) with boosted hit and dmg rolls. This is why the Runebearer is so important. He is basically an auto include.
So far thats all the synegy and combos I could find. Has anyone else come across anything cool?