Default Things Ive learned while using eGrim

So I've been playing something close to this and Ive won the last 3 games. The Scattergunners have been doing very well during feat turn with Mortality up because they still receive the +2 RAT and they do not suffer from the -4 melee penalty. What makes it gravy is Mirage gets them out of combat so they can shoot and spray and the UA makes them auto miss against friendlies, so I decided to move them up to a full man unit. They get targeted right away and I lose them fast if not careful. Plus I feel I really needed more bodies on the table. Here is the latest list. Below that I've listed some synergy\combos that are very effective.

Hunters Grim 50 points

- Hunters Grim (Muggs & Krump)
    - Trollkin Runebearer
    - Troll Impaler
    - Dire Troll Bomber
    - Dire Troll Blitzer

Fell Caller Hero
    Troll Whelps
    Stone Scribe Chronicler

Pyg Burrowers - Leader & 9 Grunts:
    Scattergunners - Leader & 9 Grunts
    - Scattergunner Officer & Standard
    Trollkin Scouts - Leader & 5 Grunts

Synergy in the list goes something like this:

1) Advance Deploy Dygmies and Scouts so they engage the enemy early. This helps setup the scattergunners for turn 2.

2) turn 2 possibly feat depending on the situation. Scattergunners would have Miraged and depending on position they can aim and get feat bonus or move further up for more targets and just get feat bonus. Your dygmies and scouts should be tarpitting the front line. You wont have to worry about damaging them with Scatterguns because you have the UA.

3) Dygmies and Scouts depending on positioning may also benefit from the feat bonus.

4) The Blitzer does pretty well providing I dont roll a 1 on the machine gun. When its time for melee, against a Mortality target he is almost as good as a Scythean in Melee without the reach. He has the potential for 5 initials if the dice gods are kind. With Virtuoso, if you kill the models engaging you with your fists, you can switch to a different target via the slug gun within 10 inches.

5) The Bomber should be self explanatory. 2 high dmg ranged attacks that are technically Pow 18 under Mortality. In Melee same as above with the Blitzer. Effectively RAT 7 under the Feat.

6) Impaler is there for the animus when not using the feat. You can also play more aggressively with him since you get snipe once per game for free. Ive actually considered dropping him, but I know I will miss his animus on the turns I am not using Grims feat.

7) Stone Scribe is there to put Tale of Mist up on Grim and his Pygmies or on any of the other 3 units. (Probably a wise thing to do since Grim wont typically need it on turn . You can also do the infamous head but on Grim with the impaler while Tale of Mists is up to benefit from Feign Death. (Very situational but not a bad idea against ranged opponents if you are in a pickle). Also this really denies the assassination against certain casters like pKreoss.

8) The list is really hurting when it comes to Pathfinding. Otherwise I actually may have skipped him altogether. Still, he is a good investment, especially with Dygmies or if you are trying to get off some Quick Work with the Scattergunners.

In all 3 games, I won via assassination. I try to steer clear of that because I play a lot of Steam Roller 2013 and you get more for capping control points, but a win is still a win. Every assassination had to do with Grim popping feat, casting mortality and having him snipe away 17 inches at Mat 10 (possibly 12 if aiming) with boosted hit and dmg rolls. This is why the Runebearer is so important. He is basically an auto include.

So far thats all the synegy and combos I could find. Has anyone else come across anything cool?
    Last edited by Tanglethorn; 06-11-2013 at 12:53 PM.

correct me if im wrong but the Blitzer only gets d3 shots IF his shots is his initial attacks? that would mean you charge in shoot shoot shoot IF you rold a 5 or 6 for shots. then you get your 2 melee attacks if there is still something in range and if you charge in and your and use your melee attacks then go to shoot you get 1 shot not d3 because there not initial attacks because the gun wasnt shot first? I may be wrong but sounds like your blizter is activating backwards as far as his shots go. im still new to trolls so if im wrong tell me how exactly you would be able to shoot after melee and still get d3 shots and your gun not being his initial attacks virtuoso or not lol

Thats a fair point. Im not sure. The card says when making initial attacks with this weapon roll a d3. I was under the impression that you have to roll a d3 for the shots during your combat activation. Is there a rule that prevents me from attacking with my initial fists before using the gun's initials while engaged in melee? Virtuoso allows you to use both initials (fists and ranged).

Edit: Apparently the way I described it is legal. You can use the fists on the charge and if you kill your target you can shoot at something else. See the below link to the rules forum:

http://privateerpressforums.com/show...hlight=blitzer

Note: You can not use Rapid Fire if you trample or slam, but you can still force him to use his ranged after the power attack is finished up to his ROF dur to Virtuoso. Thats another neat trick I was not aware of! 2 handed throw something, force him for a ranged shot, then shoot it on the ground while its KD or shoot something else.
    Last edited by Tanglethorn; 06-11-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Destroyer of Worlds

Without having a page out of the rulebook to quote handy, I'm fairly certain that you can charge in, use your melee initials, then you get your d3 shots with the gun.
    Is little, and broken, but still good.

Quote Originally Posted by dchadpage View Post
    Without having a page out of the rulebook to quote handy, I'm fairly certain that you can charge in, use your melee initials, then you get your d3 shots with the gun.
    Charge you still get all your initials, first one is just boosted. I don't see why you wouldn't get the ranged. If you don't then I've been playing it wrong for awhile!

I don't think that's what was being questioned. I think the original question was if you can can rapid fire another target if your charge target was destroyed and you havent used the guns initials yet.

Zombie Annihilator DangerMuffin's Avatar

I don't see what would prevent you from getting the Rapid Fire. You declare a charge, move, end in melee range of your target and succeed the charge. Now you move to your action. The Blitzer has Virtuoso, so it can make its ranged initial attack as well as its melee initial attacks. You have 2 melees and 1+D3 ranged initials. You choose to make melee first. You punch what ever you charged and murder it. With the other fist you punch something else near by. Then you take you ranged initials, which nothing has prevented you from taking so far. Because they are initials you get 1+D3 rapid fire shots. You murder more things with those shots.

Feel free to correct me if I've messed this order up, I don't have the Blitzer's card in front on my to read Virtuoso and make sure nothing in that prevents the Rapid Fire if your charge target dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawndor View Post
    Warjack reproduction is hot, oily, and features multiple men working in a synchronized fashion.
    Anyone who says that Nyss Hunters are the most obnoxious models to assemble has never assembled 30 Steelhead Halberdiers.

The only thing you missed was only getting D3 shots, not d3 + 1.

Yargghh!!! My thread got hijacked by Blitzer rules FAQ! lol

Destroyer of Worlds Sardonic Artery's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goris View Post
    The only thing you missed was only getting D3 shots, not d3 + 1.
    Oh, how we wish for D3 + 1...

Back on track: How do the dygmies do without a commander / fell caller?

He does have fell caller tho.

Destroyer of Worlds The Happy Anarchist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sardonic Artery View Post
    Oh, how we wish for D3 + 1...

Back on track: How do the dygmies do without a commander / fell caller?
    I've played that. It works well - but the one thing I don't like about it is that it absolutely slams them into one role. They shoot and that is what they do 90% of the time. It's fine, and they do solid work doing it. That said, I always prefer having the option - Fell Caller first and Commander being less of a priority (I often have other models that can deal with fearless). The Fell Caller allows you to do things like charge into Protectorate jacks that called Passage, or deal with Stormwall from Krueger2 or other anti-shooting effects.

Both can be done without however, and it works fairly well. I have been leaning towards Fenns over Scouts as my other unit, so the Fell Caller got the nod over a Commander, which lets me have the melee option, and Fennblades can deal well with highish defense or Terror causers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsquid View Post
    I also employ a "Darkwing Duck" philosophy, when the game starts going against me...it's time to get Dangerous...
    Quote Originally Posted by Impostor View Post
    And then, Grim Angus said "Trollbloods shall be the one true people entitled to Tough."

Do you think that EGrim would like to have SoB more than Dygmies? I think of EGrim as a "All Comer" list so I was wondering if you wanted a bit more higher MAT, and ARM cracking abililty.
    "CONGLATURATION!!! YOU HAVE COMPLETED A GREAT GAME. AND PROOVED THE JUSTICE OF OUR CULTURE. NOW GO REST OUR HEROES!" (Ghostbusters)

Over Dygmies? Never. Over some other options after that? Definitely worth considering. Mirage + Mortality + Ridiculous Assault Spray seems like it could be good times. Same with getting all three of them on, potentially with damage buffs + Mortality on a target. Just the three of them could do a fairly ludicrous amount of damage. Possibly finishing off even a resilient heavy or a damaged Colossal.
    I also employ a "Darkwing Duck" philosophy, when the game starts going against me...it's time to get Dangerous...
    And then, Grim Angus said "Trollbloods shall be the one true people entitled to Tough."

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Effect View Post
    Do you think that EGrim would like to have SoB more than Dygmies? I think of EGrim as a "All Comer" list so I was wondering if you wanted a bit more higher MAT, and ARM cracking abililty.
    I'm loving SoB with Grim2 but I still wouldn't drop Dygmies for them. I think Grim2 probably makes the most of Dygmies of all of our warlocks since he offers them a variety of ways to be awesome. I don't think I'd ever play Grim2 without them.

Painted: Trollbloods: 149/170, Mercs: 51/104, Minions: 8/18

What works for me is that with Mark the Target and Snipe, the Burrowers pop up with 10 guns at RAT 8, RNG 8, PoW 14. As far forward as they are, that puts almost anything in range. One thing I've decided is that I need to run the Krielstone and Elder with eGrim's shooting list, but not for their armor. Nothing makes you sadder than an incorporeal unit tying up half your guns for a turn, or two stealth models that HAVE to die but are too spread out to hit with one Mage Sight. Activate Spirit Chaser, run out to say hi to the enemy, problem solved.

I really wanted to include the Troll Champ hero, but so far it hasnt been much of an issue. Maybe when the Kithkar comes out I can justify 2 points instead of 3 for the extra LD.

I tried Fennblades with egrim when he first came out and I didnt like the reach on them. It just meant too many targets were enganged and it really limited my shooting options. This is why I fleshed out the Scattergunners to a full unit instead.

So far all my games have involved jamming my opponents with Scouts and Dygmies, take out as many troops as possible with them and then have the Scattergunners mop up or take out key targets. After thats all said and done, Egrim has a better chance at sniping whats left over (hopefully the opponents caster).

I do feel that with my current list, Scenarios are going to be a bit of a challenge.

So, nice thing about Fennblades with Grim2. I used to think Mirage was overkill on them and better other places. With Mirage and Vengeance you will pretty much never be engaging any targets you didn't want to engage unless you mess up pretty badly. Vengeance attack back to move to extreme of reach, if they have reach or just get a quick shot in if they don't. Then Mirage out and you are no longer engaging - plus you often have charge angles to get to more juicy targets. It was much better than I thought it would be at first.

Quote Originally Posted by The Happy Anarchist View Post
    So, nice thing about Fennblades with Grim2. I used to think Mirage was overkill on them and better other places. With Mirage and Vengeance you will pretty much never be engaging any targets you didn't want to engage unless you mess up pretty badly. Vengeance attack back to move to extreme of reach, if they have reach or just get a quick shot in if they don't. Then Mirage out and you are no longer engaging - plus you often have charge angles to get to more juicy targets. It was much better than I thought it would be at first.
    Having used woldstalkers with mohsar/mirage for awhile, it's a cool trick. 5" out of movement is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by The Happy Anarchist View Post
    Thats pretty awesome. You totally changed my view on fen blades under mirage which is the kind of thing this thread is about.

Destroyer of Worlds Sardonic Artery's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tanglethorn View Post
    Thats pretty awesome. You totally changed my view on fen blades under mirage which is the kind of thing this thread is about.
    Interesting, I still feel like I've got a list that works for eGrim. I've no interest in owning scouts, sluggers, or bushwhackers, but I do own max scattergunners + UA and the blitzer.

I originally went away from the bomber and the fennblades, but I admit, it didn't occur to me to run both the blitzer and the bomber. Dual blitzers and bone grinders are already out; impaler + rune bearer + burrowers is already set as required.

When I get back to Trolls, this will be my next 50:

Hunters Grim
    -Troll Impaler
    -Dire Troll Blitzer
    -Dire Troll Bomber
    -Trollkin Runebearer
    Pyg Burrowers (Leader and 9 Grunts)
    Trollkin Runeshapers (Leader and 2 Crew)
    Trollkin Scattergunners (Leader and 9 Grunts)
    -Trollkin Scattergunner Officer & Drummer
    Fell Caller Hero
    Fennblade Kithkar
    Totem Hunter

I might have to drop the totem hunter for whelps + gobbers, but I think he can run interference and buy the scattergunners some time to engage as the front line.

Im actually thinking I might swap out my SSC for a Kithkar once the model is released.

I want to second that sniped dygmies are awesome. Had not even a full unit (do to postioning) one round an entire unit of exemplar bastions. I am finding them and my scouts, both, are must haves for mark target.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravir View Post
    you usually have to show the opponent the card to prove it the first time he fails an assassination run on eMadrak because of the mass red-shirt bubble.

I'm still really new, but I just wanted to chime in with Dygmies + eGrim is amazing. Mortality + Feat on dygmies = 10 effective RAT 10 RNG 8 POW 16 guns... it's just nuts. They work great at killing heavies (IME), most infantry units, you name it. Even without feat, just mortality will give you RAT 6 or 8 POW 16, which is still plenty.

Or without Mortality and just with the feat where they drop Rat 8 Pow 14s into infantry. I have only had one game where the dygmies weren't very strong and that was primarily due to a misplay on my part. And by not strong I mean they killed 2 and half Bastions in a forest with only a few being able to aim, and put some damage on an objective without using the feat before promptly eating double Vanquisher shots to the face and mostly dying and breaking. So, roughly 4 points + whatever the objective was on a very poorly played objective? Plus eating two Vanquisher shots? Not too bad for 6 points and no feat or Mortality and being very poorly played. Should have pulled them back a bit or just ran them into annoying places and spread out to cause more trouble later.

*As a note, the reason I played them so poorly was due to invincible zealots being jammed way up on their minifeat turn. I am used to having my pick of targets and had to do some quick thinking to get targets at all. They were dealt with by miraging Vengeance Fenns getting deep into the Zealots to prevent firebombing.

My first lists were Blitzer, Bomber, Rok and I really loved that battlegroup. That said, I also really love the Impaler x2 + Axer + Mauler battlegroup. I think the second one is probably better, and more well rounded. Especially adding in the KSB to help out with the attrition a bit and counteract potential problems - or even just go Mortality crazy charge in the late game. That said, the three heavy battlegroup was very strong as well.