Default High Command Community Resources

Hello, and welcome to the High Command Community Resources thread!

This thread is meant to serve as an index to the most useful, insightful and popular threads within the High Command community. If you think a thread should be added, post a link below, and let us know why you think it should be included.

Getting Started

Checking your box's contents

Expansions

Here's a cool thing you can print to help keep your cards organized: http://privateerpress.com/files/box_Insert_0.pdf

Here's a list of all known Promo Cards: LINK - PPS_Agel

Card Protection and Alternate Storage Solutions
    • Standard sized sleeves work fine (standard MtG size), here's the discussion on this: LINK
    • A Discussion on storage solutions: LINK

How to Play

Detachment Color Overview
    Shamelessly stolen from tutenkharnage's Cygnar Warcaster Overview thread...

Based on DC's August 19, 2013, Insider, we know that each detachment has its own theme:

• The theme of the orange detachment is new recruits. These cards are cheap, but not powerful. They are good for the early game, but not so good for the later stages.
    • The theme of the yellow detachment is army support. This detachment "tends toward the lower-cost end of the spectrum with more utility than impressive raw stats." Like orange cards, yellow cards are cheap, but not powerful.
    • The theme of the green detachment is scouting forces. They can be rushed to a location relatively cheaply, "but they don’t have a great deal of staying power."
    • The theme of the blue detachment is elites and veterans. They have higher costs and higher Power, and many of them are worth Victory Points.
    • The theme of the purple detachment is arcane power. If the Blood Witch Hags card is a good example, these cards have relatively mundane stats; their utility lies in their abilities.
    • The theme of the red detachment is heavy armor. These cards cost a great deal to purchase, deploy, and rush, but they have "decent Power" and "high Health and/or Health-related abilities."

Gameplay

General Strategy Discussions

• Aggressive vs Passive play in large multi-player games: LINK

Faction Specific Strategy Discussions

General discussion on faction playstyles: LINK

• Cygnar
      • Cygnar Strategy PP Insider LINK - Will Shick & DC
      • Overview of Cygnar's Warcaster choices and combinations: LINK - tutenkharnage
      • Cygnar thoughts and Strategies: LINK

• Khador
      • Khador Strategy PP Insider LINK - Will Shick & DC
      • Khador Thoughts and Stragtegies: LINK

• Protectorate of Menoth
      • Protectorate Strategy PP Insider LINK - Will Shick & DC
      • Protectorate Initial Impressions: LINK - regleant
      • OYG Menoth: LINK - Ramrod

• Cryx
      • Cryx Strategy PP Insider LINK - Will Shick & DC
      • Cryx Thoughts and Strategies: LINK

• Trollbloods
      • Trollblood Strategy PP Insider LINK - Will Shick & DC
      • Troll Thoughts and Strategies: LINK

• Circle of Orboros
      • Circle Strategy PP Insider LINK - Will Shick & DC
      • A few thoughts on Circle: LINK - targetdg15

• Legion of Everblight
      • Legion Strategy PP Insider LINK - Will Shick & DC
      • Legion Tactics: LINK - LordKhabal

• Skorne
      • Skorne Strategy PP Insider LINK - Will Shick & DC
      • Skorne Discussion: LINK

Tournaments & Tournament Prep
    Kingmaker Official Tournament Rules: LINK

Unofficial Kingmaker Tournament Record Sheets: LINK - UsdiThunder

A suggested 2v2 format: LINK

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Is there an Errata Document for High Command?
    Yes: http://files.privateerpress.com/high...d%20Errata.pdf

Do both my friend and I have to own a copy to play?
    No, only one of you does. The game comes with four complete, ready to play decks, each representing one of the four main factions of the Warmachine or Hordes side of the Iron Kingdoms. I highly suggest one of you pick up Warmachine, and the other Hordes, so you can enjoy all the factions, so you don't have to wait on the friend who owns the game in order to play!

Are there any expansions?
    Not yet. We expect there to be expansions for Retribution of Scyrah, Convergence of Cyriss, and possibly Mercenaries. We also expect to see expansions that add new warcasters and detachment cards to the existing factions. Nothing official has been stated at this time.

How does Snacking work?
    See this thread.
    Last edited by Mod_Plarzoid; 09-15-2014 at 01:08 PM.
    My Mod Voice is Trollblood Base -=- Forum Terms of Service -=- Have you read it lately?

Quote Originally Posted by PPS_DC View Post
    Having different things appeal to different players is the way that we keep a broader audience engaged and how we appeal to new players... View the things that don't appeal to you as a necessary evil if you must, but maybe look at them instead as something that will ensure this game you play will still be around years down the road.

Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Destroyer of Worlds Doktor Grym's Avatar
    Starkweather-Moore Supply Base Bravo, Antarctica

Is there a list of all the promo cards yet and what flavor they have?

KSW
    Welcome to the Thornwood Bistro, where the weak are killed and eaten; perhaps you'll have em' flame broiled and (un)dead or Blindwater marinated; spicy & chewy. I'd suggest Thornfall smoked & falling off the bone tender. You're going with bloody raw and still screaming. Excellent choice Mr. Ca... AaaHhhhh!

Quote Originally Posted by GRYM View Post
    Is there a list of all the promo cards yet and what flavor they have?

KSW
    Not to my knowledge. Why don't you put a list together!
    My Mod Voice is Trollblood Base -=- Forum Terms of Service -=- Have you read it lately?

Having different things appeal to different players is the way that we keep a broader audience engaged and how we appeal to new players... View the things that don't appeal to you as a necessary evil if you must, but maybe look at them instead as something that will ensure this game you play will still be around years down the road.

Destroyer of Worlds Doktor Grym's Avatar
    Starkweather-Moore Supply Base Bravo, Antarctica

I do not have any of them. ;-( I would love it if someone would do us the FLAVOR...

KSW
    Welcome to the Thornwood Bistro, where the weak are killed and eaten; perhaps you'll have em' flame broiled and (un)dead or Blindwater marinated; spicy & chewy. I'd suggest Thornfall smoked & falling off the bone tender. You're going with bloody raw and still screaming. Excellent choice Mr. Ca... AaaHhhhh!

How about a Kingmaker Tourney Sheet?
    Striving to build a Strong, All Inclusive WarmaHordes Community in Dayton, OH
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/DaytonWarmaHordes/
    Legion: 11/2010 Gators: 4/2012 Cryx: 7/13/2013, Mercs: 8/18/14 Circle: 4/2016
    "If you're going to get into the Evil League of Evil, you have to have a memorable laugh." - Dr. Horrible

Annihilator

I've got the cards, but what else do you want to know?

Alist will be along shortly.

I will try to update this every month with the new promo cards.
    Last edited by Salix060907; 10-23-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Annihilator

Warmachine Release Event: With Coven Of Garlghast, Captain Jeremiah Kraye, Thyra Flame of Sorrow, Kommander Strakhov

September Promo:
    Pirate Queen Skarre

October Promo:
    Grisssel Bloodsong Fell Caller

Hordes Release:
    Calandra Truthsayer Kriel Oracle, Ryhas Sigil of Everblight, Dominar Rasheth, Grayle the Farstrider

Just made some Record Sheets here: Link

Please add to first post
    "If you're going to get into the Evil League of Evil, you have to have a memorable laugh." - Dr. Horrible

Thread updated with all the new goodies.

Updated the link to Promo Card List to the new external thread by Salix

Is there anyway to get the promo cards still? I really like this game, but it is disapointing how some cards are very limited. There are zero events anywhere around me.

Quote Originally Posted by IraSummers View Post
    Is there anyway to get the promo cards still? I really like this game, but it is disapointing how some cards are very limited. There are zero events anywhere around me.
    If you mean alternate art promo cards, then the ones that are no longer available are no longer available.

If you mean the release event warcasters and warlocks, then yes, they will be available again at some point in the future, but we have not yet announced exactly when or how that will be.
    2003-2008 (Dacarnix): No Quarter contributor, playtest group lead, organized play writer, freelance game developer
    2008-2015 (PPS_DC): development manager at Privateer Press HQ
    2015-20XX (DC): infernal, No Quarter contributor, independent game developer

Hey, could we get a variant of the box insert with Hordes art and terminology? That would rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Grym View Post
    I would love it if someone would do us the FLAVOR... KSW
    God damn it Barb!
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf9416 View Post
    The Magnus guarantee.

Retailer Support and Development PPS_Agel's Avatar

Lots of people have asked for a list of all the promo cards so here you go:

Warmachine Release Event:
    Coven Of Garlghast, Captain Jeremiah Kraye, Thyra Flame of Sorrow, Kommander Strakhov

Hordes Release:
    Calandra Truthsayer Kriel Oracle, Ryhas Sigil of Everblight, Dominar Rasheth, Grayle the Farstrider

Pax East 2014: Arrayed for Battle

Templecon 2014:
    Arrayed for Battle

Warmachine Weekend 2013: Arrayed for Battle

September Promo 2013: Alt Art, Pirate Queen Skarre
    October Promo 2013: Alt Art, Grisssel Bloodsong Fell Caller
    November Promo 2013: Alt Art, High Exemplar Kreoss
    December Promo2013: Alt Art, The High Reclaimer
    January Promo 2014: Alt Art, Kallus, Wrath of Everblight
    February Promo 2014: Alt Art, Kommander Sorscha Kratikoff
    March Promo 2014: Alt Art, Cassius the Oathkeeper and Wurmwood
    April Promo2014: Alt Art, Lich Lord Asphxious
    May Promo 2014: Alt Art, Madrak Ironhide, World Ender
    June Promo 2014: Alt Art, Menite Temple (location card)
    July Promo 2014: Alt Art, Lord Assassin Morghoul
    August Promo 2014: Alt Art, Darius
    September Promo 2014: Alt Art, Ashlynn D' Elyse
    October Promo 2014: Alt Art, Pyromalfic (location card)
    November Promo 2014: Alt Art, Magnus the Traitor
    December Promo 2014: Alt Art, Captain Gunnbjorn
    January Promo 2015: Alt Art, Lord Tyrant Hexeris
    February Promo 2015: Alt Art, Karchev the Terrible
    March Promo 2015: Alt Art, Master Necrotech Mortenebra
    April/May Promo 2015: Alt Art, Lieutenant Allister Caine
    June Promo 2015: Alt Art, Saeryn, Omen of Everblight
    July Promo 2015: Alt Art, Supreme Archdomina Makeda
    August / September 2015: Alt Art, Pirate Queen Skarre
    Last edited by PPS_Hungerford; 08-14-2015 at 10:24 AM.

Destroyer of Worlds tutenkharnage's Avatar
    Mucking about in the swamps of western Immoren

The warcasters from the Warmachine release event ended up in the Invasion of Sul campaign expansion. Will the warlocks from the Hordes release event end up in the Castle of the Keys expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by tutenkharnage View Post
    The warcasters from the Warmachine release event ended up in the Invasion of Sul campaign expansion. Will the warlocks from the Hordes release event end up in the Castle of the Keys expansion?
    Yes, they will.
    -High Command Infernal since 9th September 2013

-Warmachine and Hordes Infernal since 2nd November 2015

So it's going go function more as "win awesome stuff and you get a prerelease/alt art" vs. people just not having access to those casters?

Sounds awesome!
    Southern Ontario Open - Canada's Largest Warmachine Convention! - Hamilton, Ontario - May 5-7, 2017

Judge since November 11th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by aggyface View Post
    So it's going go function more as "win awesome stuff and you get a prerelease/alt art" vs. people just not having access to those casters?

Sounds awesome!
    The intention has always been to reward players for their skill with cool SWAG, but not to provide them with an exclusive "win buttons". Again, another example of this are the play mats and Sul pin that were given away. They are super cool, but they don't give you an advantage over your opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Agel View Post
    The intention has always been to reward players for their skill with cool SWAG, but not to provide them with an exclusive "win buttons". Again, another example of this are the play mats and Sul pin that were given away. They are super cool, but they don't give you an advantage over your opponent.
    I don't know. I don't think I'll ever be able to beat someone with that mat.

What does it look like anyway? I haven't seen it.

The Thyra playmat is ridiculously awesome.
    Mk3 Tourney Record:
    Kaelyssa 13-2/Helynna 4-2/Elara2 2-1
    Zaal2 3-0/Rasheth 5-4

Is anyone still maintaining this thread? There has been so many great new resources lately.
    I play WARMACHINE High Command

Quote Originally Posted by jabjoe View Post
    Is anyone still maintaining this thread? There has been so many great new resources lately.
    Yeah, sure. I haven't seen any suggestions in here about what to add, and your post was the only one of the above ones to put an e-mail into my inbox that this thread had been touched.

I'm happy to update this, if you guys can help gather up the stuff you'd like in it. I'm personally very far behind on HC right now, but if those in the know can send me some links, I'll gladly add them in.

Destroyer of Worlds

How does one obtain the promo cards? Buying things at cons? Winning things at cons? Launch event kits? etc. Now Convergence are being added I'm taking an active interest in these things

Hey Plarzoid, My tourney record sheet link isn't working, but I can go to my original thread and get to the sheets. Can you check on it? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by UsdiThunder View Post
    Hey Plarzoid, My tourney record sheet link isn't working, but I can go to my original thread and get to the sheets. Can you check on it? Thanks!
    Fixed.

Anyone have a contents list for the newest big box (Mercs, Convergence & Ret)?
    How about links to PDFs of the expansions?

Just updated the KingMaker sheets by adding the Arena sheet I came up with. All in the first post.

Just wondering if you were planning to do a card list for all the expansions? I'd really like to know what was in them before I buy.
    Protectorate of Menoth Painted (80.7%): 14 (11 painted) Warcasters, 209 pts. painted of 259 total pts.
    Mecenaries (33.3%): 1 (0 painted) Warcasters, 9pts. painted of 27 total pts.

The content for each expansion is listed in the updated Kingmaker rules for organized play.

Quote Originally Posted by valthornx10 View Post
    Just wondering if you were planning to do a card list for all the expansions? I'd really like to know what was in them before I buy.
    http://privateerpress.com/high-comma...play/kingmaker