Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Destroyer of Worlds

Glad to hear the bat reps are back on the podcast! Faction reviews are awesome, but the battles are the most entertaining.

Just finished the Cain vs Horgle podcast and wanted to mention one thing. You guys got into a bit of a discussion about multi fire etc being tech against madrak. They actually double checked that.. Only the first shot from multi fire is a special attack, all the others are basic attacks

http://privateerpressforums.com/show...=1#post3628412

*edit* geez, just realized that podcast was a week and a half ago, didn't think I was that out of synch, whoops.

Ah, thanks for the catch! That's... interesting.
    It was a pretty silly way to get around Madrak's anti-assassination tech, though. Frankly, I've never had problems assassinating the guy in the first place, but he's rarely dropped into Cygnar anyway!

But I do appreciate the catch!
    This week's Combo Smite Battle Report Podcast is brought to you by us not only having a Facebook page, but now also a Youtube channel! And hey, why not follow me (@ComboSmiteMarc), Nick (@ComboSmiteNick) and Darrell (@ComboSmite) on the Twitter? All the social media in one helpful place!

This week, the Combo Smite team are trying out something a little different. Early last week, I sat down with Nick (and Darrell and Todd, in later episodes) to discuss lists for an upcoming tournament. Then, after the tournament was over, we sat down again to record the 2nd half of that episode, discussing how the list worked, what didn't work, and changes they'd now consider.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the results... you folks all get a little glimpse into how we list-build for tournaments, and a lot of interesting discussion about Legion (this week... again, Darrell's and Todd's podcasts will air in later weeks).

Let us know what you think!
    This week's Combo Smite Battle Report Podcast is brought to you by us not only having a Facebook page, but now also a Youtube channel! And hey, why not follow me (@ComboSmiteMarc), Nick (@ComboSmiteNick) and Darrell (@ComboSmite) on the Twitter? All the social media in one helpful place!

Happy Whatever-You-Celebrate! This year, Nick and I got all of you an hour and a half long discussion about the errata!

Yay!

Hopefully you guys enjoy it! We still have Darrell's tournament report coming up, and hopefully a few batreps for the coming weeks while Nick is off in New Zealand (for basically all of January). But for now, enjoy our refreshing look at what we think of the direction PP is taking WarMachine, and how we feel about the most recent batch of changes!

Now I'm going to go play "Titanfall 2" until my eyes fall out.

Love the new format, list pairing and intended match-ups is one of the harder things to learn as a new player. And as far as using tournaments to try a list, I did my first tournament 3 months after starting the game
    It's a great way to see what you know, what you need, and most folks are willing to point out your misplays. You know, after they capitalize on them.
    Seriously Casual Khanadian.

Thanks for the feedback, BubblezCJ! And welcome to WarMachine!

Yeah, tournaments are a great learning experience, but you really shouldn't expect to do well until you've been to 3-5. I spent my entire first year of tournament play getting only 1 win (against a 10-year-old Khador player), but that was absolutely okay! Nick was a bit better at the start (I think he won his... third tournament? One of the early ones), and he continues to be the stronger player most of the time.

Anyway! Moral of the story: go to tournaments! Lose lots! And get better!

Podcast 140 went live today! Darrell discussing the second half of his tournament analysis with Menoth.

Just a head's up... some of the things that Darrell was worried about are not such an issue post-Errata. But otherwise, it's full of really good discussion and analysis, and hopefully you can all find use out of it!

Do let us know what you think! Next week, we may get Todd's analysis with Retribution, or maybe a batrep... we'll have to see!

Enjoy!

Oh no, I'm one episode behind!

Just been listening to your Errata-sode. Entertaining as usual, but I'll have to internet-fight you about your Caine2 opinions!

I think you overvalue his feat in your podcast. A lot. Even though it hasn't changed at all from MK2 to MK3, it doesn't take heavies off the table anymore. You say Caine2 hasn't changed in what his feat does from MK2 to MK3, and you're partially right - on his card it's almost the same. But the change comes not from Caine, but because of his supporting cast. An MK2 list always, always brought Eiryss2, Aiyana & Holt, Squire, Reinholdt. This enabled Caine to strip defensive Armor-Upkeeps, apply a damage boost, and shoot once more than in MK3. All of this is gone. You can in theory still bring A&H, but it's much more expensive. You also have to decide between Reinholdt and the Squire.

So in MK2, you often shot at heavies at base ARM 16 or 17, thanks to Kiss of Lylyss and stripping defensive upkeeps. So first shot hits at 2 or 3 damage and gets better from there. I took colossals off the board with Caine2 in MK2 in one go (not saying that's a good thing, just that it was possible).

In MK3, your opponent's heavies are usually at least ARM 19 or higher. So first shot does nothing, second 1 damage... Even if you let all upkeeps drop and only want to gatecrasher to safety, that's a max of 7 shots, at ARM 19 inflicting about 21 damage. Not enough to take any heavy off the table. With higher base ARM or defensive tech (and who leaves home without it these days), we're talking even less damage.

I'm of the opinion Caine2's stock has devalued even more than you think, dropping him lower than the middle of the Cygnar pack. I'll still play him against some of our newer players, to get him on the table, but I think he's left the tournament scene for good. Just my two cents.

Hey Luebbi! Thanks for the feedback.

I had an interesting discussion with one of our other listeners who believes (very earnestly) that we were far too hard on Caine2! It's interesting to get both sides (which, perhaps incorrectly, suggests to me that we were about right with our commentary!).

You're right about his Feat, though, and the "support package" Caine2 runs these days is a lot leaner than it once was. I don't think I've seen A&H or any o the Eirysss (besides Eiryss3) on the table at all in Mk3. That may change, of course, but for now...

He does still bring some interesting utility to the table with the option to Trick Shot a few times before teleporting to safety, or put out one or two Grievous Wounds. It's not nothing, I'll grant. But I think I'm more in your camp than not: Caine2 was tournament-material, and he's simply not any more (especially compared to some of the bonkers tools we have in Cygnar... Stryker1, Haley2, Haley3, Nemo3, Sloan, Stryker3, etc... etc... etc...). Even Caine1 might be a good argument to retire Caine2 from the pairing... and who knows what Caine3 will bring to the table!

Which isn't to say he's BAD. But it is an argument against him being one of your 2 tournament pairings.

My dream is that PP decides to give him his ammo types for free on his INITIAL shots. 2 free ones a turn means he can still play a different game from Sloan, and there is some risk/reward involved. But as it is, I think they're too expensive.

Thanks for listening!

Just listened to the Darrel Cast. It was a good listen, and I definitely see where he was going with his pairing, so that was a very good thing to see! Also, any word on how Nick did? They didn't get matched up (surprisingly enough) and it would be a good story to hear. Also Also, is Darrel considering any changes to his list in the post-errata environment? Might be able to fit in some different tech, seeing as mad-dog spam is gone . I might ask these questions Thursday as well, but would like to have an answer on paper to get a basis for more specific live questions :P. Sorry for asking all of the questions btw, and thank you for the wonderful casts!

Thanks for the feedback, Swampmist!

Episode 138 was all about how Nick did. Overall he did very well (came in 2nd, since there was a tie for 1st). He lost his final match against another Legion player, his Thags1 into the other Legion's Fyanna2, and it was a great game.

As for post-errata lists, I know Darrell is still very excited about Reznik1 with Reznik2 (both casters play differently, and both are very much in Darrell's wheelhouse). I'll direct him towards these forums so he can give a more in-depth response, and thank you for the questions! We're always happy to answer listeners!

Quote Originally Posted by Swampmist View Post
    Just listened to the Darrel Cast. It was a good listen, and I definitely see where he was going with his pairing, so that was a very good thing to see! Also, any word on how Nick did? They didn't get matched up (surprisingly enough) and it would be a good story to hear. Also Also, is Darrel considering any changes to his list in the post-errata environment? Might be able to fit in some different tech, seeing as mad-dog spam is gone . I might ask these questions Thursday as well, but would like to have an answer on paper to get a basis for more specific live questions :P. Sorry for asking all of the questions btw, and thank you for the wonderful casts!
    Hey thanks for listening. Despite my poor performance there are some things in the lists I do enjoy and think are quite competitive. Since the Errata my pairing has changed to High Reclaimer & Reznik2 for the time being. While I think that Reznik 1 is good, he projects far too much to the opponent. Additionally if the Brand of Heresy misses you're immediately on the back foot. As for Amon, he is strong as well but I'm going to try the different pairing for a bit.

-You Don't Need Eyes to See, You Need Vision
    Follow my gaming club's adventures on the COMBO SMITE Blog & Battle Report Podcast
    We live stream on Twitch Thursday nights at 7 EST. Look us up on the Moosemachine network

Today we aired the last of our Tournament Analysis reports from the last tournament we did (back in December!). At least the analysis this time is post-Errata!

Big thank you to Todd for talking Retribution and his pairing with us today. As always, really happy to bring these episodes to you good folks. Let us know what ya think!

Next week... time for something completely different!

This week's podcast is all about the new Themes! I'm excited about the Cygnar one, Darrell is excited about the Menoth one, and Kassem... well, Kassem is Kassem, and that's okay too.

We also put up some "sample" Theme lists. Nick sent us a bunch from New Zealand that he's thinking about trying out, Kassem sent a very terse Skorne Theme (which, in a few weeks, might be fantastic!), and I put some thought into a Nemo3 Theme which I'm pretty excited about!

Anyway, give it a listen/look, do let us know what you think!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011