Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Well, it's Monday... time for a new Combo Smite! This week saw Aaron's expansionistic Khadoran Empire going up against the... magically friendly?... Retribution?

It was actually a pretty interesting battle between Vlad3 and Issyria, and Nick's awesome Destor modification makes it just that much more epic!

Also in this episode, we make FAR too many "My Little Pony"-related jokes, Aaron invents a novel way of list creation (I'll give everyone a hint: it's a fan-favourite!), and Nick pretends that he put elves on ponies because of his sister.

Yeah. Right.

As always, you can check us out on Combo Smite itself or over on iTunes. If you happen to give us a listen on ye ol' iTunes, please take a moment to throw a review for the podcast up... we'd all really appreciate!
    This week's Combo Smite Battle Report Podcast is brought to you by us not only having a Facebook page, but now also a Youtube channel! And hey, why not follow me (@ComboSmiteMarc), Nick (@ComboSmiteNick) and Darrell (@ComboSmite) on the Twitter? All the social media in one helpful place!

Destroyer of Worlds bouncymischa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marx View Post
    Also in this episode, we make FAR too many "My Little Pony"-related jokes, Aaron invents a novel way of list creation (I'll give everyone a hint: it's a fan-favourite!), and Nick pretends that he put elves on ponies because of his sister.

Yeah. Right.
    Yeah, it's a bit hard to believe Nick when he mentions each of the ponies by name in his battle report. :P

Fun stuff to read! It's a shame he messed up on his time allocation in turn 2. I can understand the desire to practice under timed turn conditions, but at the same time, if you're playing a list you haven't really practiced with before, I'd at least default to the more lenient time limits. (Although I might be saying that in part because I reeeeeally wanted to see those Destors get the charge off on the Great Bears...)
    My Cleansers have killed: 2 Combine members, Finn, pNemo, Sentinel, Lord of the Feast, eMadrak, Mordikaar, pKreuger, Molik Karn, Calaban
    Lord Carver has successfully raided: Xerxis, Shae, Nemo
    2012 Cygnar Challenge! The sturdy grunts of the Irregular 11th versus the gleaming mechanika of the Flashing 1st!

Those Khador jacks, and of course the Conquest, look phenomenal. (Who are those dudes battling in the background, somewhere in the distant yonder?)

Also, the Ponies are pretty too.

Quote Originally Posted by bouncymischa View Post
    Yeah, it's a bit hard to believe Nick when he mentions each of the ponies by name in his battle report. :P
    So, what was with that Apple-warjack comment? I suspect Marx might me tainted as well! GO! GO, my Cleansers! (plink)
    Last edited by RagnaBloodedge; 03-18-2014 at 04:05 AM.

@bouncymischa: In Nick's defence, he has a sister that watched the show... he's probably picked up quite a bit from fragmentation-effect.

As for me, I have a dear friend of mine who is a dyed-in-the-wool Bronie. He's actually made me watch about 4 or 5 episodes (which is why I know terminology like "Mane 6"). The show is... okay. It's okay. It's not the best thing ever, but considering how much I like other "childish" shows (Avatar springs to mind, as does "Teen Titans" and "Powerpuff Girls"... plus many of my favourite animes), I'm not about to throw stones about other people's taste in what they watch.

I'm unconvinced about playing Timed Turns will help with Death Clock... but Nick may be right about that. It certainly encourages pressure-crunch decisions, and can lead to really exciting games that are VERY different from untimed or Death Clock games.

@Ragna: Yeah, Aaron's choice of Khador as his primary faction is spot-on. He does incredible work with them... I'm still waiting for him to "update" the look of his Man o' War Shocktroopers (he decided to change the colour scheme for them, but then got busy with other projects), but the Conquest and Behemoth in particular are breath-taking.

As for the folks playing in the background... the gentleman in green is Nick. The lady in blue is his beautiful consort, Heather. If you can see shots of a second game behind them, that would be me and Gaven playing the NPR I wrote about earlier in the week.

I've defended my stance on MLP. It's fine... there are better shows, but I don't dislike it. I just don't watch it... I don't have time! My girlfriend and I are still working through my backlog of favourite animes ever... right now we're on "Gankatsuo (The Count of Monte Cristo)", next we move on to "K-On" and "Full Metal Panic!"... after that we may have to watch the whole "Avatar" series from the start again (we got through Season 1, and then were distracted by "Justified")... anyway, moral of the story, I don't watch MLP.
    Last edited by Marx; 03-18-2014 at 12:30 PM. Reason: "Monte", not "Monty"... oops!
    This week's Combo Smite Battle Report Podcast is brought to you by us not only having a Facebook page, but now also a Youtube channel! And hey, why not follow me (@ComboSmiteMarc), Nick (@ComboSmiteNick) and Darrell (@ComboSmite) on the Twitter? All the social media in one helpful place!

Destroyer of Worlds bouncymischa's Avatar

@bouncymischa: In Nick's defence, he has a sister that watched the show... he's probably picked up quite a bit from fragmentation-effect.

As for me, I have a dear friend of mine who is a dyed-in-the-wool Bronie. He's actually made me watch about 4 or 5 episodes (which is why I know terminology like "Mane 6"). The show is... okay. It's okay. It's not the best thing ever, but considering how much I like other "childish" shows (Avatar springs to mind, as does "Teen Titans" and "Powerpuff Girls"... plus many of my favourite animes), I'm not about to throw stones about other people's taste in what they watch.

I'm unconvinced about playing Timed Turns will help with Death Clock... but Nick may be right about that. It certainly encourages pressure-crunch decisions, and can lead to really exciting games that are VERY different from untimed or Death Clock games.
    Oh, no stones thrown here. :P I've got a fair number of friends who've watched the show (at least a couple of which identify themselves as bronies), and I've watched through the series myself. I'll agree with your assessment, although I feel it's a step above the usual children's fare. Then again, I recently rewatched the old '80s GI Joe series on Netflix, and was rather amused to note some of the elements that likely went over kids' heads. As my brother pointed out, Cobra obsesses about their finances a fair bit, and in one episode even goes broke, with their creditors foreclosing on them! So my assessment of children's fare might be a bit skewed. :P

K-On and Full Metal Panic should be an interesting study in contrasts. Oddly, I've never watched Avatar, myself...

That aside, timed turns do put a unique spin on the game. The big issue with timed turns is the pressure crunch, which you don't get in Death Clock or untimed games... but I suppose it's one of those things that some people enjoy, and some people don't. :P I feel I make enough mistakes as it is that playing under timed turns I'd probably play even worse... although thinking about it, when I played Steamroller events in the past with timed turns I rarely had an issue with it. How long were the turns Nick was using?
    My Cleansers have killed: 2 Combine members, Finn, pNemo, Sentinel, Lord of the Feast, eMadrak, Mordikaar, pKreuger, Molik Karn, Calaban
    Lord Carver has successfully raided: Xerxis, Shae, Nemo
    2012 Cygnar Challenge! The sturdy grunts of the Irregular 11th versus the gleaming mechanika of the Flashing 1st!

I've defended my stance on MLP. It's fine... there are better shows, but I don't dislike it. I just don't watch it... I don't have time! My girlfriend and I are still working through my backlog of favourite animes ever... right now we're on "Gankatsuo (The Count of Monty Cristo)", next we move on to "K-On" and "Full Metal Panic!"... after that we may have to watch the whole "Avatar" series from the start again (we got through Season 1, and then were distracted by "Justified")... anyway, moral of the story, I don't watch MLP.
    Watch Attack on Titan if you haven't yet! My gf and I marathoned that in a day Great show.

@bouncymischa: Personally, I've found that almost without exception, old cartoons haven't held up AT ALL well. There are some okay ones (Robotech/Macross, in particular), but definitely exceptions and not rules.

Also, I love Full Metal Panic for the same reason I love Cowboy Bebop and Trigun... half a season of light-hearted, funny, warm anime, and then a full 180 into UBERDARKDEPRESSINGOHMYGODEVERYONEDIES.

Nick and Aaron were using 10 minute turns, I believe. Whatever the Steamroller regulations suggest... maybe 12. I forget. Tournament standard.

@Ozzie: I've heard good things. I may yet check it out, but I'll admit I've hit my R.R.Martin-saturation point of nice characters dying or having horrible, horrible things happen to them.

I'm way more into light-hearted stuff these days. K-On, Azumanga Daioh, Kids on the Slope, and my current favourite, Seitokai Yakuindomo (although it's sometimes a little... off-colour... for my tastes).

But that's nothing to do with Combo Smite! Which everyone should listen to and worship! Combo Smite and its jolly boots of doom!

It is with joy in my heart that I bring you the latest episode of Combo Smite, freshly recorded and edited and awaiting your attention!

This week we report on a game between Nick's Retribution and Gaven's Circle... can the newcomer Issyria triumph over one of the strongest warlocks in the game? Can Nick find a noiser, more crowded part of the hospital to record from? Can the Noise Filter possibly hope to overcome the echoes!? ONLY TIME WILL TELL!

All joking aside, Nick had a family emergency and was in the hospital all weekend attending to his girlfriend like a loyal partner. Which is awesome and I hugely respect him for. The side-effect is that the audio quality suffers as a result, and there are a few places where I just couldn't get rid of the footsteps, background conversations, or the periodic buzzing/beeping of the P.A. system at the hospital. I apologize, but hopefully all of you can appreciate Nick's dedication to the show and our fan(s?).

Also this week, I make a racist comment (but it's okay, because it's about Italians and I'm Italian... sort of), Aaron paints puppy dog eyes on mammoths, and Nick fails a mental CMD check.

As always, you can listen right on the Combo Smite website (link in my sig), or on iTunes! Comments and questions are always welcome!

A special Combo Smite podcast went live today from our Tournament results... a 50 point Steamroller using "Divide and Conquer" (use each list at least once) and a 60 minute Death Clock. Gobs of fun had by all... Kassem and I were the only 2 Combo Smiters that went, but you can hear all about our exploits on either iTunes or the Combo Smite website (link in my sig).

Also in this special podcast: Nick calls me a Sandbagger at least 4 times, Aaron whitewashes his warjacks (I'm not sure that term means what he thinks it means), and Kassem restrains himself to only saying "That's what she said" about 68 times.

Comments and questions are always welcome!

Not sure if it was pointed out on the cast or not, since I have not had the chance to look at it yet, but ret does have a shield guard model, the Aspis, a fairly cheap light jack with beat back fists and the same regenerating forcefield as the phoenix. Don't see it much though outside of vyros2 lists though.

@a_clouded_mirror: No, it wasn't mentioned in the podcast... I *knew* they had one! I just couldn't remember which! That makes me feel a bit better... hopefully John (and Nick) will start seriously considering the virtues of bringing Shield Guard warjacks/models in their colossi lists (I almost never take a Stormwall without a Sentinel... unless I'm bringing 2 Stormwalls... and I doubt my Judicator, whenever I get one, will hit the table without a Devout!).

Thanks for the comment!

Hey Marx,
    I enjoyed the write ups, thanks.
    2 quick comments...
    -Did the troll player ever mention why he went with +1 strength instead of immunity to continuous effects? It effectively neuters a lot of eFeora if things can't catch on fire to begin with.
    -You boosted the shot on pEiyrss with the jack she had just disrupted in game 3? To be honest I skimmed that game as my lunch hour is running out so I may have just misread.

@GiJoe_StormShadow: Thanks for the comments!

1. No, James never mentioned why he chose to go with +1 Strength instead of No Fire... at a guess, I'd say it was because most of his stuff was ARM20+ under the Protective Aura and not too worried about burning. But that's a guess.

2. I boosted the damage roll against pEiryss with my Redeemer, and Eiryss had Disrupted my Vanquisher (which, to be honest, doesn't really NEED Focus against most things... it's an infantry-clearing machine, as evidenced by this tournament!).

Thanks for the questions and reading the report!

Combo Smite Announcement

We made a page on our site outlining what our player ratings mean and where they come from.

If you're curious check it out here: Combo Smite Ratings

There is also a link to it on the main menu of Combo Smite
    - Answer extinction with death that the vengeance of our gods may be our salvation -
    Check out our battle report podcast - Combo Smite http://combosmite.com/
    For Warmachine Video Battle Reports check our Youtube Channel
    Live streaming every Thursday on Twitch https://www.twitch.tv/combosmite

I'm still a little sad that you took out the part about "Derptitude 0: In order to score this, you have to either be a host on Chain Attack, or have a name that starts with "Jason", ends with "Meter", and have a mid-sized vehicle in between."...

Playing our next Battle Report game tonight, recording later this week, and then off to Adepticon! Woo!

Battle 019 went live yesterday... but I'm posting about it today, so there! This battle saw Aaron's Khador, led by the indomible... indominab... by the mighty Vladimir Tzespeci going up agains the firy... fiery... firey... against the viscious Feora!

Man, I am NOT having a good spelling day... oh well!

Link is in my sig (as always), and the episode should be on iTunes by now!

Also on this podcast: new sobriety laws in Khador, Nick recounts some of his nightmares caused by Cryx, and I'm a handsome devil. As usual.

ALSO also, we just finished recording our Adepticon special... it's only 30 minutes long, but it's a good one! It'll be coming out on Wednesday or Thursday, depending on whenever Aaron and Nick put their pretty pictures on the website.

Thanks for listening!

Psh...no one wants to hear about cheating swans trickin' Menoth players. ^.^

Where did you guys disappear to, btw? Onyx and I were looking for you guys...we did a podcast with Beerthralls!

Yeah, Aaron and Nick were threatening revolution if we didn't go eat, and the girls had been patiently waiting for us all day, so we blitzed out around 8pm... which is a pity, really, since I had at least another game or two left in me, but such is life sometimes!

I heard that the podcast was like a 4 hour monster? What on earth did you guys discuss for that long!?

Also, super-awesome to have finally met you and Onyx!

Battle Report 020 is now live... and, as always, it's both on the Combo Smite podcast site (link in sig) and on iTunes.

This week saw Skorne going up against Retribution... and it turned into a fantastic slog-match!

Also this week, we discuss Aaron's newest addition to the Combo Smite family, Nick's shocking realization that pVyro's Feat may NOT be the worst in the game, and the first words out of Kassem's mouth are "That's what she said"... but he only says it once! Whaaaaaaat~!?

Hello Combo Smite listeners! I'm proud to announce our FIRST EVER Combo Smite competition!

That's right... AdamtheHutt has announced the following challenge:

"The House that produces the most Spice, will control Dune..."

Wait, no, that wasn't Adam... that was the Padasha Emperor. My bad. ADAM'S challenge was as follows:

- Count the number of sniffles ("sniff") that occured during Battle Report 019.
    - Post in the Comment Section of Battle Report 021 (the report that will drop April 21st, 2014) with your number of sniffles.
    - Only 1 guess per person, thank you.
    - The FIRST PERSON who comments with the correct number of sniffles that were recorded in Battle Report 019 will win... a small-based solo of their choice, delivered to their door!
    - If nobody guesses/counts the correct number by Friday, April 25th, then the CLOSEST to the correct number will win. In the case of a tie, a single winner will be selected by appropriately numbered polygonal random number generators (ie: we'll roll a die to pick who wins)
    - The winner will be notified on the Combo Smite website in a new Thread, at which point they should e-mail Combo Smite (me, ideally) with their online store of choice and mailing address, from which their Solo will be ordered and sent to their doorstep. We recommend the sublime "Discount Games Inc" (run by the guys over at Chain Attack), but please pick a company that you're happy with and is relatively local to you so that shipping charges aren't too outrageous!

Why is Adam doing this? Mostly because he's awesome, but also because he's a firm supporter of Combo Smite, and wants the listeners to get a little something for your continued support!

Good luck to everyone!

It is with joy in my heart and terror in my liver (why not?) that I announce Battle Report 021 has now gone live! This is an epic clash between Adam's Cryx and my Menoth, with Gaspy2 running headlong into the Harbinger... it was a great game, less mistaken-ridden than my last foray against Cryx!

Check it out over on Ye Ol' Combo Smite website or on iTunes, at your preference!

Also in this episode, Kassem shows up basically just to make "That's What She Said" jokes, Aaron gets mocked for a visual gag that nobody could possibly understand, and Nick is made fun of for being ugly.

ALSO also in this podcast, Adam announces the first ever Combo Smite giveaway... that I already announced! Rules are in the post above this one! Good luck to everyone who competes!

Just a reminder folks that today (until midnight) is your last day to get your guesses in for our first ever Combo Smite giveaway contest! While the rules encourage listening to Battle Report 019 (and heck, I suggest you do as well because it's a great podcast and I like when people listen to us), you could just pop on over to the Battle Report 021 and take a shot in the dark... who knows? Your random guess (as long as nobody has guessed the same number earlier in the week!) might land you a free small based model!

You can also check out the most recent progress on my Errants (hint: they're done!), Nick's printable PDFs for making awesome foamcore buildings, and a VASSAL game between pFeora and Ashlynn! So much content! It is funny enough. Do not forget to *enjoy the sauce*!!!

(50 bonus points to anyone who recognizes the quotation from the greatest video game ever crafted by human hands)

Battle 022 went live this morning (as is tradition!), in which the mighty armies of Karchev the Terrible clash with the Retribution of Scyrah's Kaelyssa! A fascinating matchup, and the first time Aaron has ever tried using the Man of Iron-and-Steam! Come, listen to his efforts (either at the Combo Smite website, or on iTunes!)

Also in this podcast, we announce the winner of our first-ever giveaway contest... also, Aaron laments about the amount of flash in his Convergence army, Nick talks about priming Boomhowlers, and I am remarkably handsome and intelligent.

Yay for finished Errants!!!
    Kragon Scarsnout Milkweed Dugger Scarrow Hijinks on the High Seas Jurg Darrow Iron West Company Rak Ember

@Wyldkard: Aww, thanks! Yeah, I'm super-happy to finally have them finished! Now on to the Bastions!

It's that time... on that day... another Combo Smite podcast! And the crowd goes wild!

This week saw my forces of the Protectorate going mano-a-werewolfo with Gaven's Circle... Harbinger versus eKrueger in a bout to knock the other fellow out!

I even handicap myself by bringing CINERATORS! I mean, who does that?!

Also in this podcast, Nick comments on the most hated unit in the Protectorate, Aaron talks about having an elephant on his back, and I give helpful advice for locating heathens within the borders of the Protectorate!

As always, you can check us out on the Combo Smite website (link in sig), or on iTunes!

Have new episode downloaded, haven't listen to it yet. It is my after lunch listenings. And I am planning on getting and bringing Cinerators in my Reznik 1 Theme list at 50 points. I just have to buy them. Kinda behind on my Menoth purchases.
    Kragon Scarsnout Milkweed Dugger Scarrow Hijinks on the High Seas Jurg Darrow Iron West Company Rak Ember

I call shenanigans! No Gaspy Vs HArby posted yet!! LOL
    A word of advice, if you're picking the wrong fight.........at least pick the right weapon

@Wyldkard: I've seen probably a dozen (maybe more) used Cinerator units available all over the frickin' place. They are not well loved... but I managed to get interesting usage out of them.

Note that I said "interesting", not "good".

@AdamtheHutt: Dude, it's right up there between Battle 019 and Battle 021 (the game between us being Battle 020, after all!).

Oh, I was meaning the PPF forums. But yea, its a good read. Saw it on Combosmite
    A word of advice, if you're picking the wrong fight.........at least pick the right weapon

@Marx so finished listening to the episode. Was a interesting game. Not what I expected, nice win on your part. I can't say you used the Cinerators poorly. I do think the main reason they get a bad showing is that most people don't think 1 point of ARM is worth losing reach and blessed. Not to mention Sanguine Bond. But, I do think they can be good if they aren't the only thing for your opponent to focus on. Again very fun to listen, you guys remind me of my original warmachine group back in mk 1 days.

I am happy to report that Battle 024 went live today! An epic clash between Skorne and Retribution... the forces of Ossyan the "Kill You at Long Range" versus Morghoul the "Stabby-Stabby-Face-Face".

Give 'er a listen over on the Combo Smite Website, or on iTunes!

Also this week, Kassem somehow manages to make only 2 "That's What She Said" comments, Aaron continues to be unable to grapple with his Mammoth, and Nick gets flirted with. On? With? One of those.

@Wyldkard: Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, Cinerators over Bastions is a hard sell... in order to get that extra 2" of threat, you have to be willing to sacrifice one (which is a tough sell in a 5 man unit!), but they're not awful! Anyway, we appreciate the comments, and I'm glad you're enjoying listening to us!

Ladies and gentlemen, it is with great pleasure that I announce our 25th podcast! Woo! Quarter-centennial reports for the win!

As you can see from the picture above, this report was between Nick's forces of the Retribution, led by the noble and aloof Vyros, Incissor of the Dawnguard, against the humble, innocent, and pristine Feora, Protector of the Flame.

There may be some reporter bias in those descriptions...

Also in this week's podcast: Aaron outsmarts both of us, and I blow my nose into the microphone, apparently (according to Nick, I use the microphone to blow my nose... either or).

All joking aside, all three of the hosts of Combo Smite have come down with a mild case of the sniffles, so there are a few sneezes and coughs (and yes, me blowing my nose which Aaron insisted I not cut in editing). I apologize in advance.

As always, comments and questions are welcome, and if you happen to check us out on the Tunes-of-i, please throw a review down for us... it really helps us small podcasters get a slightly broader audience!

This morning Battle Report 26 went up... the last of our preparation matches for the upcoming (at the time) Youngbloods tournament! And as you can see below, it was between eSkarre and eSorscha... two of the deadliest women in the Iron Kingdoms!

Also in this week's podcast, Aaron talks about urinating *while* recording (he's a pure professional, that one), and Adam tries to explain why his infantry-obliterating heavy cavalry aren't as awesome as they obviously are.

Sadly, no Nick this week, since he's completely lost his voice. But hopefully he'll be better in time for us to record our memories of the Youngbloods tournament itself, which hopefully will go live on Wednesday!

So, check us out at the Combo Smite website, or over on ye ol' iTunes (and if you happen to listen on iTunes and feel like throwing a review down for us, we'd really appreciate!).
    Last edited by Marx; 05-26-2014 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Link wasn't working due to swear-word in the title... for shame, Aaron! Anyway, fixed the link so it should work now!

Battle Report 27 is now live... and it is with joy in my heart (and Menofix in hand) that we have our first game against trolls in the books!

This week Todd (a new addition to our elite cadre of mercenary co-hosts) decided to try out Borka's "Family Reunion" tier list while I brought the original High Exemplar, pKreoss! It was the grindiest game I have played in quite some time, and super fun watching two lists of high-ARM weaponmasters hack each other to pieces!

Also this week, Aaron "has to go do a thing" near the middle of the podcast, Todd talks about his experiences at the Southern Ontario Open (spoilers: He had fun!), and Nick wiggles his toes next to Aaron's... for some reason.

Thanks for checking the podcast out!

The Particular Judge Tim the Enchanter's Avatar

I just got turned on to your work recently, and I really enjoy it. Just wanted to pass along the positive feedback.

Judge since June 5th, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Timtheenchanter View Post
    I just got turned on to your work recently, and I really enjoy it. Just wanted to pass along the positive feedback.
    Thanks Tim! We were pretty impressed by your work (Southern Ontario Open) as well.

Tell your friends about us!
    Last edited by MoFaux; 06-02-2014 at 11:49 AM.
    - Answer extinction with death that the vengeance of our gods may be our salvation -
    Check out our battle report podcast - Combo Smite http://combosmite.com/
    For Warmachine Video Battle Reports check our Youtube Channel
    Live streaming every Thursday on Twitch https://www.twitch.tv/combosmite

Oooh! Trolls! Looking forward to hearing it, have listened/read all your stuff so far guys and it's really fun. Keep up the good work, fellows!
    Impressively average

Please be gentle on me, it was my first game with Trolls. Mistakes were made, proxies were had, and it was the grindiest grind that ever did grind. Hope you like it.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and success is sure.

-Mark Twain

Note: I do not believe you may self sacrifice on fire, since it is not an enemy attack, but a continuous effect. Wracks explode on a 1,2, or 3 per the card. I suppose it doesn't matter per se, but in a tournament, it obviously could. Excellent job as always.

-MW-
    Protectorate of Menoth: 429/429 - 227 Models Legion of Everblight: 276/298 - 152 Models
    Cygnar: 188/218 - 109 Models Skorne: 129/129 - 73 Models
    Mercenaries/Minions: 90/90 - 69 models
    Working On: Extreme Ravagore, Commissions, Reznik2

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast