Thread: Starting mercs!

Warrior

Default Starting mercs!

Because PoM and Khador aren't taking enough of my paychecks already

But really, Ashlynn is probably the warcaster I've wanted to play the most since I first started WM/H. Decided to start with her theme list (you know, the logical choice, the list that does not allow me to use ANY of my existing mercs, save a few solos. lol)

Just ordered Ash's alt sculpt, ATGMs+UA, and a Mule. Building towards this 50pt list:

Ashlynn d'Elyse
    - Mule
    Arcane Tempest Gun Mages
    - Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (free)
    - Mule
    - Vanguard
    Arcane Tempest Gun Mages
    - Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer
    - Vanguard
    - Mule
    Anastasia di Bray
    Gun Mage Captain Adept
    Gun Mage Captain Adept
    Taryn di la Rovissi

Obviously heavily focused on the Order of the Amethyst Rose. A big reason for this decision (and this is just a starting list, I will diversify from here) over a more 'combined arms' approach is that a friend at my LGS has been building up a pretty awesome pCaine Tier4 list (will toss it below for those interested), and matching the 2 of them against each other just seems like a blast. Fun aside, what are your thoughts on this list? Not run 'all guns' before, although ive been shot up by em a good number of times. Definitely not a winner of attrition games, and probably situational on scenario, but I think it should do well at assassination. Gargossals will be hard to bring down, but Taryn should help with making that a non-issue. Anyone run something like this before and have feedback?

If you had this core list yourself, where would you build from there when it came time to move away from the Tier list?

Friends pCain list mentioned above:
    Lt. Allister Caine
    - Hunter
    - Hunter
    Arcane Tempest Gun Mages
    - Arcane Tempest Officer
    - Hunter
    - Hunter
    Arcane Tempest Gun Mages
    - Arcane Tempest Officer
    - Hunter
    - Hunter
    Black 13th Strike Squad
    Gun Mage Captain Adept
    Gun Mage Captain Adept

Quote Originally Posted by Rahveel View Post
    Because PoM and Khador aren't taking enough of my paychecks already

But really, Ashlynn is probably the warcaster I've wanted to play the most since I first started WM/H. Decided to start with her theme list (you know, the logical choice, the list that does not allow me to use ANY of my existing mercs, save a few solos. lol)

Just ordered Ash's alt sculpt, ATGMs+UA, and a Mule. Building towards this 50pt list:

Ashlynn d'Elyse
    - Mule
    Arcane Tempest Gun Mages
    - Mule
    - Vanguard
    Arcane Tempest Gun Mages
    - Vanguard
    - Mule
    Anastasia di Bray
    Gun Mage Captain Adept
    Gun Mage Captain Adept
    Taryn di la Rovissi

Obviously heavily focused on the Order of the Amethyst Rose. A big reason for this decision (and this is just a starting list, I will diversify from here) over a more 'combined arms' approach is that a friend at my LGS has been building up a pretty awesome pCaine Tier4 list (will toss it below for those interested), and matching the 2 of them against each other just seems like a blast. Fun aside, what are your thoughts on this list? Not run 'all guns' before, although ive been shot up by em a good number of times. Definitely not a winner of attrition games, and probably situational on scenario, but I think it should do well at assassination. Gargossals will be hard to bring down, but Taryn should help with making that a non-issue. Anyone run something like this before and have feedback?

If you had this core list yourself, where would you build from there when it came time to move away from the Tier list?

First off... welcome to one of the two most fun factions in the game!!

Minions is the other, by the way...

Drop one GMCA for Rutger Shaw, abnd run him with Taryn as a tag team... other than that, list looks good.

Friends pCain list mentioned above:
    Lt. Allister Caine
    - Hunter
    - Hunter
    Arcane Tempest Gun Mages
    - Arcane Tempest Officer
    - Hunter
    - Hunter
    Arcane Tempest Gun Mages
    - Arcane Tempest Officer
    - Hunter
    - Hunter
    Black 13th Strike Squad
    Gun Mage Captain Adept
    Gun Mage Captain Adept

With friends like this, who needs enemas...

Quote Originally Posted by moleverine View Post
    If you worship MagnustheJust, you fight for coin, and that is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by solkan View Post
    You mean Magnus isn't the Harbinger of the Comfy Chair?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovnik Tsumi View Post
    Magnus may not be a myth, but he is a legend!

Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by MagnustheJust View Post
    First off... welcome to one of the two most fun factions in the game!!
    Thanks!

Drop one GMCA for Rutger Shaw, and run him with Taryn as a tag team... other than that, list looks good.
    I do like Rutger, was planning on running him w/ a Buccaneer in a non-tier regular Highborn list. Worth it w/out using the jack marshal ability?

With friends like this, who needs enemas...
    Ha! Must admit though, its a silly awesome list.

quoting myself for a moment:

If it helps at all, I don't own a ton of mercs, but in my barracks, aside from the list above(in progress) I've got:

p/eAlexia
    Steelhead Halberdiers
    Reinholdt
    A&H
    Saxon Orrik
    Ragman
    Rhupert
    Wyshnalyrr
    Kell Bailoch
    p/eEiryss
    Goblin Tinkerer

Not necisarilly trying to use the above, unless there are particularlly good synergys any have in a Highborn list.
    Last edited by Rahveel; 01-24-2014 at 10:35 PM.

Ashlynn d'Elyse
    - Mule
    Arcane Tempest Gun Mages
    - Mule
    - Vanguard
    Arcane Tempest Gun Mages
    - Vanguard
    - Mule
    Anastasia di Bray
    Gun Mage Captain Adept
    Gun Mage Captain Adept
    Taryn di la Rovissi
    This list is currently illegal. The 2 x Vanguards needs to be in Ashlynn's battlegroup. If you put the two Vanguards with Ashlynn, and put Mules with the Gun Mage Officers as best you can, then you're onto something. Sorry to spoil the fun, though... I would've loved to play that list as is myself!

edit: The 2 x Vanguards needs to be in Ashlynn's battlegroup - so you can get the tier 3 bonus and advance to the tier 4 bonus, which is an extra UA for the ATGMs past their FA.

Warrior

Ah, this is what I Get for relying on forward kommander alone, and not looking at the actual tier list in the book! Thanks for pointing it out.

Not a problem, man. Happy to help

Here's a similar list to what you proposed that works out to 50 points, by the way:

Ashlynn d'Elyse
    -Vanguard
    -Vanguard
    Arcane Tempest Gun Mages
    -Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer
    -Mule
    -Talon
    Arcane Tempest Gun Mages
    -Mule
    -Talon
    Anastasia di Bray
    Gun Mage Captain Adept
    Gun Mage Captain Adept
    Taryn di la Rovissi

It'll be slightly different and do things different from what you wanted, slightly, but... Unless I'm completely off my game, it should be street legal

I do like Rutger, was planning on running him w/ a Buccaneer in a non-tier regular Highborn list. Worth it w/out using the jack marshal ability?
    You can take the Buccy in her theme force, marshalled or otherwise...

And yes, Shaw is worth it with or without a jack, especially if he is hanging out with Taryn there...
    Quote Originally Posted by moleverine View Post
    If you worship MagnustheJust, you fight for coin, and that is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by solkan View Post
    You mean Magnus isn't the Harbinger of the Comfy Chair?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovnik Tsumi View Post
    Magnus may not be a myth, but he is a legend!

Quote Originally Posted by Pharlander View Post
    Not a problem, man. Happy to help

Here's a similar list to what you proposed that works out to 50 points, by the way:

Ashlynn d'Elyse
    -Vanguard
    -Vanguard
    Arcane Tempest Gun Mages
    -Mule
    -Talon
    Arcane Tempest Gun Mages
    -Mule
    -Talon
    Anastasia di Bray
    Gun Mage Captain Adept
    Gun Mage Captain Adept
    Taryn di la Rovissi

It'll be slightly different and do things different from what you wanted, slightly, but... Unless I'm completely off my game, it should be street legal
    I like this a little bit... personally, I dislike the GMCA and Talons. Mostly, maybe only, because I think it needs a melee threat. I'd take out Talons and the GMCA for a unit of precursors + UA, still in tier, then add in Rutger without a jack. They work better as a solo tag team anywho.

Moving away from tier... nyss hunters! Quickened nyss hunters have given many people in my meta apoplectic fits. I also like Rocinante with her. Forgeguard are another viable target for Quicken. What's better than reach/weaponmaster/MAT7? Making them speed 6, too! Plus, DEF 12 is sometimes surprisingly helpful when you are ARM 18. FOr solos, I often bring along Eiryss, Lanyssa, and Dougal for those Mules.
    Legion Wins!

Status of Rhyas Experiment - perpetually ongoing...

Warrior

Love the list ideas. pretty much just sold me on the precursor route Shen. (especially as I would like to run Constance/Gallant some day).

Pharlander, my only issue with the talon is that I fight a LOT of hordes, the 2 gents I usually face the most run trolls and circle, and its about 50/50 at the LGS WM/H nights it seems. buying 2 jacks with stall just doesn't seem the way to go. Powerful Charge is certainly nice though....

You can take the Buccy in her theme force, marshalled or otherwise...
    Right, I phrased that badly, meant that I've planed to run him with a Buccaneer when I move away from Tier to reg Highborn, I knew he could run in Tier w/ a Buccaneer, just have no experience w/ him, and didn't have the 5 points to spare/was not sure if he was a good include w/out the jack