Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Destroyer of Worlds Howard Tayler's Avatar

Default These Little Piggies Went To the Lightbox (img heavy)

As of this writing I'm just two models away from painting all my Farrow. To celebrate, I created a Google+ album for them, but I'll post the photos in here, too, starting with the very first Farrow models I ever got: the Bone Grinders...

Not much customization here. I bent one arm out for a little variety. I picked these up back in the Mark I days.
    Last edited by Howard Tayler; 03-19-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Then I did some artwork for a Hastur Hobby up in Salt Lake City, and asked to be paid in store credit. Since they were basically free*, I went ahead and grabbed a minimum unit of brigands.

Here's a close-up of the Shaman. I was super-pleased with how the turquoise gems turned out on him (it was years ago -- painting specular highlights on glass was new to me. It looks so simplistic now.)

(*Note: It's nothing like free. Not even basically, or theoretically, or anything like that. I have these Farrow instead of having cash moneys, which is basically exactly like buying them. But that's not what I told myself at the time.)

And then Rorsh & Brine released. I was only invested in Trollbloods back then, but a Minion warlock was too good to pass up. (I grabbed Wrongeye & Snapjaw and Brun & Lug at that same time.)

I remember considering a black-skinned look for Rorsh because I'd seen boars in the wild, and they're nothing like rosy pink piggies, no, not one bit. But dark colors swallow detail, and once I started making him paler and pinker I just fell in love with the floppy folds of farrow flesh (alliteration, a sure sign of quality writing).

On a related note, when I was invited to write for Privateer Press, and was handed Lynus, Edrea, and Pendrake, I begged for the opportunity to throw Rorsh & Brine in for a cameo. They granted my wish, and I actually got to add to the canon for this tusky rogue. And got paid! So these models are now totally a business expense.

Then my friend Tex decided to divest himself of his Hordes and Warmachine stuff. I picked up his Magnus battlebox (still mostly unpainted) and for about three bars less than an actual song I got a full unit of Farrow Brigands. Who I was SURE would never see the table. But I wanted to paint them nice, so I created the Punk Rock Band of Brigands.

Here's a closeup on their front man.

I kept the pale cloaks and tabards so they'd feel like they were part of the same army as the first batch, but they're definitely their own unit.

Note: It was right about now that Mark II was releasing, and the Farrow became even less sensible for the Trollblood player to spend points on. I didn't care! I had OVER TWENTY PIGGIES.

And then the Minion factions were announced. I had hoped that Rorsh would go full warlock, but no, there was somebody else in that slot. But I'm getting ahead of myself. The first things I painted were the Gun Boars, and I got two because I could tell I was going to need a second shot each turn.

It's hard to tell from this angle, but the one with the raised arm? He's totally flipping off the other models with that spike on his fist.

It was at about this time that I realized Brine and the Boars had cute piggy-tails, but none of the Brigands or Grinders did. And I began to wonder about Farrow physiology.

If I had the time or inclination for a do-over, I'd do Lord Carver over.

I thought the back-hand grip on the sword looked kind of gangsta, and so I went with it. Then I started painting and realized there were some totems hanging from the blade, and from this angle they were "hanging" up instead of down.

It's okay, though. I splashed lots of blood on that blade so nobody will pay attention to the upside-down totems.

Finally I got around to painting the "piece de resistance," the Pig of the Resistance, that cybernetic slab of butchery and bacon, the War Hog.

I bent his legs a bit, and stepped him up on a rock to try to alleviate the annoying overhang. I also took some liberties with Doctor Arkadius's skill level, and gave this poor monster a necrotic arm and lots of infected sutures. Fluff-wise, these critters don't have rejection problems with other pig-parts, and their mechanical bits seem to fit just fine. But that's not as much fun to paint...

And yes, I splashed some more blood on there. It's Tamiya Clear Red paint, and it's perfect straight out of the pot.

Speaking of Doctor Arkadius, here he is, along with his bloody-minded assistant Targ:

Targ's oversized three-fingered hand just SCREAMED "Trollblood!" to me, so I painted it blue, fluff-be-hanged. Sure, pretty much all Farrow have the same "I can only count to 8" problem that finger-counting Trollbloods have, but it just seemed too big.

In retrospect, it's obviously off of something more the size of the Gun Boars, but in retrospect I'd have Carver's sword the right-way-round too.

Last edited by Howard Tayler; 03-19-2014 at 09:18 PM.

When the Slaughterhousers released I picked them up immediately, and gave them a different fur treatment than most of my other Farrow. Other than that it's pretty much the same scheme, with plenty of Tamiya clear red...

IIRC, the Razorback Crew released at about the same time. Maybe earlier. I forget. Anyway, I've got 'em, and they're painted!

Last edited by Howard Tayler; 03-19-2014 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Forgot a photo!

And that was it for a long, long time. I picked up the Road Hog, but didn't even assemble him for months. I spent a year or so focusing on painting my Orboros stuff (I picked up close to 80 models in trade for my Monsterpocalypse collection and a set of Schlock Mercenary books. I win at bargain.) and doing other things.

I buy stuff I want to eventually paint, but don't actually get around to painting. I do this all the time. The Road Hog was joined in shiny naked metal languishing by Sturm & Drang, Midas, and the Razor Boars. It may have been two years...

And then inspiration struck. I wanted my Road Hog on railroad tracks. So I got some HO scale track (not the right scale -- it's 1:40-ish, and what Warmachine wants is 1:60-ish) and some quick-mold, and got creative on the base.

Then I got creative with the colors, and gave him stripes for added speed.

I figure the claw is from some mercenary jack somewhere, and the flamethrower came from some unfortunate Menites. The green and white, though, that's the paint that Carver's Pig Maintenance Crew happened to have on hand.

I stuck with my "Arkadius should be administering more antibiotics" theme, but decided not to bloody this Hog.

Then I looked into the cabinet and realized I was just four pigs away from DONE - Sturm & Drang, Midas, and a pair of Razor Boars -- and with the end that close I decided to stay focused. Sturm & Drang were next, and I went with the half-pink, half-necrotic thing again. Because spellcasting Farrow are sickly, right? (No, but necrotic flesh is fun to paint.)

His smash-em-up side is rosy and healthy looking.

Seen from the front, it's pretty striking.

Next up, Razor boars! I loved the Road Hog's racing stripes so much I decided to use that trick again.

They look so happy to be running free like this.

And that's what's painted. Midas has a base-coat of Idrian Flesh on his skin, and taunts me from the painting table. I'm ignoring him for now because I picked up another War Hog and did a conversion which I wrote about here. Blasphemy is almost done, and then Midas is last.

My goal? Have them ALL FINISHED before that hamster-wheel-of-misfortune battle-engine ships. It will be the first time I've managed to go faction-complete with paints in around 8 years of painting these models.

Enough writing. The painting table awaits.

BACON! All good.
    BRM
    To the Empress I pledge fealty. Let my spilled blood nourish the Mother Land.

Group shot please...

i really like your colouring of the racing stripes...
    a group shot would be really nice, though.
    Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb, but they refuse. They cling to the realm or the gods or love. Illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Goog-looking bunch of swine. The rosy pink piggie skin on the heavies is... unsettling (especially Rorsh). But in a good way.

I'll third the request for a group shot!

I promised myself no group shots until Blasphemy and Midas are done. Also, Sandra took the lightbox down so she could matte some canvas prints. ON MY GAME TABLE.

Blasphemy, right there!

Midas and Blasphemy are both finished, but my 11yo son has spread Heroscape terrain all over the game table, leaving no room for the light-box. RAWR.

At any rate, my Farrow are FINISHED. Completely, utterly, painted and DONE. Unless you count my 2nd Boneswarm, which you would only do if you really wanted to rattle my chain.

Great looking piggies!

https://www.facebook.com/gearsandgutsgamingclub
    Gears and Guts Gaming Club
    Gaming in Sanford, NC

The final photos... in suboptimal light.

Here's Blasphemy, my 2nd War Hog. Heavily converted...

And very, very Blasphemous.

And here's the very last Farrow model I finished, Midas.

His bucket is delightfully bloody.

And finally, the piece de disappointment, a group shot in crummy light.

They look awesome on the game table. Not so hot in the light box, though. That's okay. The game table is where they SHOULD look awesome.

Very nice stuff! And faction complete is damned impressive. I love the little details, necrotic flesh, playful bits of bright color, subtle conversions, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler View Post
    Also, Sandra took the lightbox down so she could matte some canvas prints. ON MY GAME TABLE.
    but my 11yo son has spread Heroscape terrain all over the game table, leaving no room for the light-box. RAWR.
    So when you say your gaming table, what you mean is...?
    A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming. -Barbarella
    These eyes can do more than see. -Blind Mag, Repo! The Genetic Opera

This was an amazing tale with amazing pictures.
    Great job. Thank you.
    SECRET SANTA 2013
    Probably Questionable Podcast

Really nice skintones.

Really love the work on Sturm & Drang!

Nice work!

Very tasty! Love Blasphemy!

I #!$%ed Menoth John.
    Reznik1's Last Stand: Paradox Plunge 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Deist View Post
    It's not your models, it's not your faction...it's you.

Holy crap! You sir, are a prince among swine. Keep up the great work!

Convergence Battle-box instruction link

"Convergence of Cyriss, we have the balls." ~Living Impaired
    "It's hard to talk about one part of a Convergence army without referring to at least 3 other models..."~Claudius Sol

These are fantastic man!!

Mmmmm... Bacon flavored Skittles!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovnik Tsumi View Post
    Dammit, Magnus. Why couldn't you have let me have this one joke!
    Proud member of the Keeping Mercs Metal Club

They're all coming with me to Lock & Load. Some of you may get to see them in person! And then kill them!

Zombie Annihilator FoolishMonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MagnustheJust View Post
    These are fantastic man!!

Mmmmm... Bacon flavored Skittles!!
    Clearly Magnus is now considering a new cooking endevour.

Apart from that...love the models...makes me want to get them...no must resist until my to-do list is reduced.
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Dougseacat View Post
    Facing off against him in the Consulate Court would never have been a pleasant experience even before he started to punctuate his arguments by murdering soulless infants.

Solid work man! I really like the Razorboars. The spots are a really nice touch.

I thought to myself: "self, you have too many factions. You have gators, no since getting farrow as well. The models aren't that inspiring anyways."

Then I saw your models and said to myself: "Self, you are an idiot. Go order some farrow before I kick your *** and steal your lunch money." To which I respond: "Ordering....and why am I threatening me...."

also; epic bacon. You deserve a denny's chocolate peanut butter bacon milkshake for those. All your getting is congratulations on it though...so congrats and I look forward to seeing your meat grinder.
    I play pDenny....I have no friends.

That looks fantastic!

Careful around Menites, though. They may want their stuff back. And also roast porc.
    (sig by SnakeEyes)

Love Blasphemy. A Great conversion.
    Aylw
    Khador (Strakov 220+ pts, 6 casters, painted), Minions (Midas 70+ pts, painted), Mercenaries (Ashylnn 65+ points, painted ), TrollBloods (Gunnbjorn 165+ pts, 4 casters painted) , Cygnar (Constance 75+ pts, 2 casters, painted), Cryx (Coven 70+ pts, 2 casters, painted), Skorne (Makeda 40+pts, painted) - 98 % Paint Complete

Destroyer of Worlds Lich_Lord_X's Avatar

Looks great, almost makes me consider getting some Farrow.

If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.

And then Rorsh & Brine released. I was only invested in Trollbloods back then, but a Minion warlock was too good to pass up. (I grabbed Wrongeye & Snapjaw and Brun & Lug at that same time.)

Where did you get this photo of me? That's me on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn_678 View Post
    Where did you get this photo of me? That's me on the left.
    From a medical journal. That skin condition is pretty classic lupus.

[*does a quick Google image search to make sure the joke works*]
    [*the joke works. Also, time to bleach the ol' eyeballs.*]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast