Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Destroyer of Worlds

Default IK Adventure Seeds

One of the ways I like to start a campaign is with the "big idea" or, in other terms, the adventure seed. The idea behind the adventure seed or the big idea is to cast a general situation - sort of throw it against the wall and see if it sticks. If it's something that gets the players and GM excited, then you can start building the foundation of your campaign around it. I like to use Mario Brothers as my example almost always so, the Adventure Seed is "The Princess has been kidnapped." From that you build out - yeah, that's exciting, we could play as her loyal subjects trying to find and rescue her... yeah, and the one who kidnapped her could be a big fire breathing turtle..." And off you go. What I like the best about this sort of adventure seed is that you can approach it from multiple angles - they are situations, rather than goals, so the players can come up with their own goals as they interact with the situation.

So, let's see if we can come up with some awesome Iron Kingdoms adventure seeds! I'll kick it off:

Iron Kingdoms Adventure Seeds
    • A Khadoran noble wants to sponsor the founding of a new settlement in the northern wilderness.
    • A Cygnaran noble's has learned that his son's ship was lost along the Broken Coast.
    • An Idrian tribe's herd is severely depleted after a sickness sweeps through it.
    • The son of a small-time Ordic merchant inherits his recently deceased father's trading galley.
    • A group of the Free Order of the Golden Crucible in Rhydden has discovered a way to make double-strength blasting powder, and cheaply!
    • Khador's Section Three wants to establish a base of operations in Clocker's Cove.
    • The Cygnaran Reconnaissance Service has learned that a large tribe of restive Trollkin is migrating towards an isolated Cygnaran town.
    • A heretical branch of Menites are subverting the populace within the Protectorate.
    • An Ordic Commodore risks his fleet against Broken Coast pirates.
    • Fresh fighting breaks out on the streets of Merywyn against Khador and the Resistance.

Zombie Conqueror Nyarlathotep333's Avatar

A dealer in Orgoth artifacts sells his wares to eccentric nobles - counterfeit, or possibly known fakes (replicas) but popular anyways with that type - for their personal collections. Trouble is, a real Orgoth artifact got mixed in and is now causing havoc to the noble who bought it.

Some possibilities for the artifact:
    posession/bloodlust - sort of like a doom reaver blade, or 'blackouts' where the noble does and says things he doesn't remember later...a 'Hyde' version of himself.
    causes madness - the noble and anyone living or spending time in the area where it is stored
    some sort of dark necromantic magic - animating corpses at a nearby cemetery, slowly draining life from people, lots of possibilities here...

Some seed ideas:
    The artifact may be causing a paranoia that makes the noble to hide its existence and deny even owning it - his word against the dealers or PCs (see below*). Meanwhile, the bad stuff keeps happening.
    The PCs don't know about the artifact to begin with and must deduce that it is the cause of the bad things going on.
    The dealer purposely sold it, knowing its effects. Why? Revenge or a love triangle type plot perhaps?

* The really cool thing is that unless the PCs have noble connections of some sort they will be going up against the fact that nobles are often above the law (or at least the law works in their favor) when compared with 'commoners' in the IK setting. This would make it a lot more complicated if they tried to accuse or kill the noble in question.
    Proud owner of a Bridge Troll Plushie!

• Protectorate: This young girl claims to be the Harbinger of Menoth. She has given the Synod several prophesies to prove her vision. The Synod is sending your party to verify one or more of these prophecies.
    • Cygnar: The Strangelight Workshop has gotten their hands on a sketch of Nemo's entitled the Universal Cortex. The Workshop built it, but can't figure it out. It is the party's task to test this new cortex out and see what it can do. Each time a warcaster of a different background bonds with it, it unlocks the next set of abilities.
    • A Skorne army has been seen near the Castle of Keys, as well as some Legion movement. What could that be all about?
    • A new mine has broken into the remains of an old Orgoth temple, and Something has come out to play with the miners.
    • While the bed for a new train line in northern Khador is being laid, a nearby bandit warlord decides he doesn't want a train in his territory.
    • Investigating a section of the Dragon's Tongue River, an opening is discovered to a hidden Cryx supply base
    Last edited by BanzaiZAP; 03-30-2014 at 02:55 PM.

Destroyer of Worlds tutenkharnage's Avatar
    Crawling through the Undercity with the BRI

These are great. Keep 'em coming!

There is a website called buccaneerbass that was fan based adventure seeds for the iron kingdoms.

A merc Warcaster sent his apprentice on a mission (so he can be an official Warcaster) but hasn't returned in a month. He hires the pc's to find him.

An ordic noble man's daughter fell in love with a pirate and left to go be with him. The noble man hires the pc's to get his daughter back.

An exploration of orgroth ruins have gone horribly wrong. Only one person came back .He tells the pc's something attack ed the exploration team. And there is a room of treasure.
    Money is the ultimate sorce of evil. so cryx must be rich....well they do have a great retirement plan its to die for...Its not retreating its advancing in the opposet direction...each faction is a doosh in there own way....Adult Swim made people into bronies before it was cool (robot unicorn attack

Destroyer of Worlds

http://www.buccaneerbass.com/rls/htm...l/advseeds.htm

^^ There is that link, by the way, for anybody curious. I had forgotten about Buccaneer Bass! Great website

Destroyer of Worlds

• An Order of Illumination team has captured a Greylord who uses Orgoth artifacts and dark magics in Fellig. They intend to transport him to Caspia for judgement.
    • A pirate haven village on an island in the Broken Coast has been raided and has lost its food stores for the winter. Now the population of the village is starving.
    • The child of a famous Carre Dovan shipwright suddenly develops sorcerous powers.

- Several survivors of recent bandit attacks in the area have reported seeing several knights adorned with Menofixes aiding the criminals...
    - The population of multiple small farming villages have disappeared in the space of a week. There are no bodies, but it's too far inland to be Cryx...
    - Two weeks ago, a rain of blood washed over the city for all of thirty seconds. Now fights are breaking out over the tiniest of things, and you're SURE weeds are sprouting faster than they did before...
    - A naked man runs through the streets, screaming about creatures in dark robes, vicious-looking mechanika, profane symbols and a coming horde which will destroy the country. The only problem is, what he's describing could be almost anything and based anywhere, and the clock may be ticking...
    - At exactly the same moment, every steamjack within a half mile radius stopped what it was doing and turned to face the centre of the disturbance. After some work, the guard have discovered that they were looking in the direction of a homeless child that lived around the docks - a child who now can't be found...
    - Travelling back from an adventure, the party come across the population of a normally peaceful hamlet trying to burn a small child, claiming she is a Thamarite and an Infernalist who wanted their harvest to fail. The leader of the mob is the child's mother...
    - While the party were away, the town guard has been joined by a volunteer group of sorcerers that contains several people they have long-suspected to be a Thamarite Cabal. The problem they now face is that the Cabal are actually doing a REALLY good job of upholding law and order in a just and fair manner...
    - Across the city, posters have been hung and banners are flying, declaring that the criminal organisation that claims the most territory within city limits in a month's time will gain a huge cash prize. Noone knows who put the posters up or who is offering the prize, but there will be a war in the streets...

Just a few off the top of my head
    Alexa Greengrass Iron West Company Sylena Nyvarr Scions of Llael
    Drago Grigorovich Izaak Markarov's Dragonslayers
    Quote Originally Posted by jdripley View Post
    I ascribe to the Chip logic.

R.I.P. Greedo1379 (1980-2006)

A colossus strides onto a major battle field and claims to be one of the missing Ios gods

And some more:

• Rhulic village has a problem: crack opened up nearby to underground tunnels that the Legion happens to use.
    • Two Trollkin kriels in the Thornwood get together to throw a party. What could go wrong?
    • Five Fingers Fight Club. Two beings enter. One being leaves. Current champion: Blackhide Wrastler!
    • Free Llael has an espionage mission: sabotage the Khador train depot. Turns out a major Khadoran Figure is there, and Free Llael was really hoping for an assassination. Is the party okay with that? (probably...)
    • Cygnaran village subjected to Statyxis raids. They hire the Seven Samurai to save them.
    • Llaelese/Khadoran Romeo and Juliet want the party to get them the hell out of Llael. Maybe to Ord? Of course, Juliet is a military warcaster and Romeo is a high level aristocrat, so they can't just walk out.

Sorry wish I had some adventure seeds to contribute not as creative as you guys :( ... I am wondering however ... what would people think of turning this into a sticky? I do see the "unofficial IKRPG" thread but don't think adventures are listed on it (maybe I'm wrong?) ... There's a LOT of good stuff on this thread alone that could be very useful to someone new to the IK campaign setting or even older veterans looking for ideas... or perhaps a sub-section of the forum devoted to player-contributed adventure seeds and full blown adventures/modules? I see the old " Where can I find good IK modules?" question pop up every now and then on the forums so I'm guessing there's a demand for it ;) ... heck maybe turn it into a contest or something see if PP gives loot to the contributions they like the best ;) (just a thought)...

Anyways sorry to hijack the thread here guys :( ... I'll shut up now :P ...

Sure why not?

The city suffers from an infestation of rats that seem to command a great humanoidlike cunning.

A sudden illness causes a power vacuum in the city. In addition to the chaos that creates, there is also the possibility of plague.

• The Holy Artifact of Whatzis has been stolen! The Pontifex Maximus wants it back NOW!
    • The Holy Artifact of the Twins has been kept in a secluded monastary for decades. Imagine their embarassment when it turns out to be Orgoth...
    • A mad Druid has gotten holed up in the Gnarls. Go root him out.
    • What if there was still a missing Shard of Pyromalfic?
    • The Dwarf town blames the nearby Khadoran settlement for disappearing children. Funny, the Khadorans are blaming the Dwarfs for the same thing...
    • No, my little girl has nothing to do with those undead that keep turning up. Really.
    • Somebody planted an Adventure Seed in a corner of the courtyard. Now its too big to uproot. Well, actually it won't let us close enough to try.
    Last edited by BanzaiZAP; 04-08-2014 at 08:36 PM.

My previous story seeds:

-Reports and rumors surface that a Cygnaran ship holding precious cargo is lost along the Broken Coast. Mercenaries quickly gather their forces in search of possibly fortunes.
    (You can go a few routes with this, be a ship based adventure with internal conflict and mutiny, swashbuckling adventure with opposing forces in search of the cargo, or much else. My players had an unfortunately run in with the Atramentous and their ship was sunk. From there it turned into a survival horror story laced with nightmare fuels such as former shipmates being found to be undead, hallucinations and lots of dark jungles of a mysterious Cryxian Island.)

-An Ordic terrorist targets small Khadoran towns and transportation and plots to bring suffering to the mighty nation through subterfuge and deception. Even wanted by his home country for his heinous acts, the disillusioned leader seeks to exact revenge for his people and bring Ord to its former glory, ulitimately free of Khadoran and Cygnaran influences.
    (For this one, they players were introduced to this by being on a train that was hijacked by the terrorist and his group, all of which disguised as Khadoran guards. The leader got away and was pursued further where they players rooted out his contacts and allies until bringing him down in a large Khadoran cathedral after twarting a bombing plot.)

Steelwater Rail and Caspian Rail Society are in a race to survey/construct a new rail line between Orven and Ceryl. Who will get there first?

You just got back into Ternon Crag and are heading to Sanitys Bastion to have a good strong whisky. Who the hell are all these warriors in gold and red (Skorne) acting like they own the place?

Destroyer of Worlds

Any one think about adapting the novels? In thunder Forged, for example, would be a "unorthodox engagement team" and probably run for a while. Although if your players have read it probably wouldnt be nearly as fun.

I've actually gone through the books with this intention, and the 2 that stand out to me are Moving Targets and Extraordinary Zoology. They're both basically rpg adventures already, and someone put together an adaptation of Extraordinary Zoology a while back that was quite good. If I can find it I'll post a link.

EDIT: here it is
    Last edited by herrklank; 04-10-2014 at 03:26 PM.
    The Bull Snapper is shaking his booty. This cannot be unseen.

Welcome my son...

• A meteorite has fallen in northern Khador. An expedition is sent to retrieve it, since sky-iron has special properties.
    • A Protectorate archeological expedition unearthed ruins of a city near the Pillars dating to early Imer times. In disputed territory.
    • A Free Llael militia group has set up in an abandoned Rhulic underground town.
    • An Ordic Pirate crew somehow took a Cryxian Raider's ship, now the whole damn Fleet is after them. Everyone's fleet.
    • Rogue self-aware AI (cortex)
    • Trollkin Kriel needs help with this Orgoth ruin they found deep in Thornwood.
    • There's no such thing as sea serpents. Especially necromechanikal ones.
    • What's in that labyrinth buried deep below the old Khadoran capital, and what does it have to do with the Old Witch?
    • An experimental variation on the Storm Chamber has been stolen!

Destroyer of Worlds

The best part about these seeds is each one can spawn several different campaigns! For example:

"A meteorite has fallen in northern Khador. An expedition is sent to retrieve it, since sky-iron has special properties."

This could be played out in at least these different ways:
    1. The players are Khadorans sent to get the meteorite. They are government-backed and will have to brave the wilds, savage tribes, and rival expeditions.
    2. The players are a Trollkin Kriel in the area. The meteorite fell in a sacred valley, and they've got to keep the outsiders OUT!
    3. The players are a Circle Orboros cabal, and the meteorite fell near an important ley nexus. It is imperative that the explorers do not find out about the ley nexus.
    4. The players are the law-men in a nearby Khadoran settlement, and all of these newcomers have stirred things up - they're causing trouble!
    5. The players are enterprising Kayazi who have been trying to find a way to tip the balance in the above-mentioned settlement, and the instability caused by these rival expeditions is just what you need to finally seize economic power.
    6. The players are Old Faith Menites who believe that this meteor is linked to an ancient prophecy - the unbelievers must not be allowed to claim the sacred metal! Maybe the metal must be forged into a sacred blade that is the only weapon that can defeat some horrible thing in the prophecy?
    7. The players are a Cygnaran Reconnaissance Service team that has carefully established a base of operations from which they can spy on a remote Greylord lab - and now this blasted meteorite has fallen in their back yard and the area is crawling with Khadoran explorers!

- The PC's are hired by the Khadorian military/graylord covenant to help fill out a group of winterguard tasked with hunting down an escaped Doom reaver that has been terrorizing nearby villages.

- The PC's are ambushed and captured by a bounty hunter and his crew for a crime they didn't commit.

- A Llaelease town needs help dealing with a pistol wraith that is stopping all supply runs entering the town.

- A town is being plagued by town wide hauntings almost every night that is draining the population of sleep and resulting in some deaths, including the death of the mayor's daughter.

- The PC's are riding a train that goes past the Blackwater marshes when it is attacked by gatormen.

- (Lets do a classic) A local village has hired the PC's to rescue a young maiden that has been captured by a necromancer who is residing in a nearby abandoned castle.

- As a bit of work on the side the PC's have been hired to take some nobles for some deer stalking, but whats that sound coming from the trees?

Thats all I've got time to make up on the spot for now.
    The Objective of the game is to win.
    The Point of the game is to have fun.
    If this line ever starts getting hazy then pack up and go home.

• Some Machine Wraiths are loose in a Khadoran 'Jack Factory. Shut them down.
    • A Cygnaran noble has somehow captured a Necrotech, and is now making his own undead army. This can't be good.
    • Equipment from a demolished squad of DoomReavers is lost enroute to the capitol. Find it before anything Bad happens. Heh.
    • A Cephalyx has found a way to make dependable GatorThralls. Don't let the secret get out!
    • Someone's pet Thrulg gets loose in Five Fingers. It was pregnant.
    • The circus is in town! They have a trained Titan! No, don't startle the Titan! Uh... oh crap.
    • ...and once every ten years, the Ghost of the Flying Ordic can be seen, trying to sail 'round the point...
    • At last report, the Kraken had demolished Five Finger's dockyard and was moving up the Dragon's Tongue.
    • What is the connection between that Llaelese noble and those Ravagers that keep showing up?
    • Terrible things happen in a small Ordic village. Circle ceremonies are discovered nearby, but just who are they trying to help?

Actually, some this ties together into an interesting campaign:
    The Circus Is In Town!
    So the trained Titan stampedes which breaks the cage of the Thrulg (which was pregnant) while the clowns are all Gobber Kidnappers and the Ringmaster himself is a Cephalyx trying to turn the whole crowd into his mindslaves. Sounds like a good game...
    Last edited by BanzaiZAP; 06-07-2014 at 04:35 PM.

Destroyer of Worlds

A month-old topic still on the front page doesn't count as a necro, does it?

• A Searforge Comission convoy is leaving Hammerfall under heavy guard with plans of traveling south and delivering rare and precious ores and cargoes to various cities within the Iron Kingdoms

I was thinking on this seed today at work. I was thinking it would make for a fun serialized campaign in which each session is another missadventure for the Comission escort to overcome. Gatormen swarming the ship you start out in.. an axle breaks on a wagon out in the wilds and you have to fend off wildlife.. bandits on the road waylay the convoy... You could even do a whole mini-arc in which the convoy is lost to an enemy force and the escort mission turns into a rescue mission. Adventures/sessions could also revolve around transacting business in the cities you stop over in to sell your cargo. For a diversion, you could take side contracts that have nothing to do with your convoy (i.e. we'll be in such and such a city for a few weeks for whatever reason, so we take a contract from a local garrison to make some extra cash on the side while we wait). There could also be adventures around the idea of certain nations/groups/individuals not wanting the convoy to sell to their rivals, so they try to prevent that from happening - that could be through business deals, subterfuge, sabotage, or outright violent opposition.

I was also thinking you could have some fun with a traitor NPC.

And I was also thinking it could be fun to run this from the other side. It would probably end up being a shorter adventure series if played that way, though.

In the end, this is one seed that gives players a good excuse to play Rhulfolk and Ogrun!

I beleive this is one of those posts that can be freely necro'd (no matter how old) as long as you are contributing to it.
    Carlisle, PA

Mortithuerge assistant
    Skarre's cabin boy
    Steelhead Captain

This thread has a ton of great ideas for NPCs and adventure hooks: Let's Make a Village
    "Answer extinction with death that the vengeance of our gods may be our salvation"

1195 Mk2 Retribution Achievement Points - How Angry Are Your Elves?

You encounter a small town where everyone is dead except for a young child.
    A number of people are found dead of dehydration with salt crusted around their mouths.

Destroyer of Worlds Morgan Coalburn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
    - (Lets do a classic) A local village has hired the PC's to rescue a young maiden that has been captured by a necromancer who is residing in a nearby abandoned castle.
    We once played a scenario where the classic had a twist: The father was lying about his daughter having been abducted (not maliciously; he was just overconcerned and misinformed), and in the end the young maiden ended up saving us. Fun game indeed!
    “They say necessity is the mother of invention. Well, by that account I should probably consider myself invention's crazy uncle who is never invited to family dos...”

I'm planning something similiar to twist the Damsel in distress scenario. PCs are sent after a young couple apparently missing in the wilds. She is actually a druidess. He is about to become a warpwolf.
    Putting the Steam in Steampowered: A lazy man's guide to smoke plumes

It does not matter if you win by an inch or a mile. But the former is usually more fun.

Strangelight Workshop meets Ghostsbusters Campaign.

You're welcome!

During a skirmish between Cygnar and PoM both lay down their weapons and swear their allegiance to the Convergence.

- Border skirmishes between Cygnar and Khador are suddenly interrupted as both sides' commanding officers disappear overnight.

- A series of murders prompts the local guard to offer a hefty bounty on the unknown murderer. The trail leads to an orphanage of all places.

- An adventerous but naive noblemen wishes to undertake an expedition into the Bloodstone Marshes.

- Members of the Order of Illumination want to hire any macigally inclined mercenaries (and their friends) to escort a powerful artifact of unknown origins as it has a nasty habit of attracting the attention of savages within 10 miles.

- Gangleader "offers" the party a decent sum if they help him free his brother who is being transported on the road to another big city for crimes comitted there.

- A spectre in the shape of a child murders a man on the street at night in front of the party, then vanishes, leaving them to look pretty guilty when the watch arrives moments later.

Warjacks taken out with swamp templates: 9
    Warlocks/Casters assassinated with Flying Masked Crocodiles: 3

An arcane mechanik claims to have invented landmines and a way to deploy bombs via rats.

Destroyer of Worlds dapperFedora's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep333 View Post
    A dealer in Orgoth artifacts sells his wares to eccentric nobles - counterfeit, or possibly known fakes (replicas) but popular anyways with that type - for their personal collections. Trouble is, a real Orgoth artifact got mixed in and is now causing havoc to the noble who bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    - At exactly the same moment, every steamjack within a half mile radius stopped what it was doing and turned to face the centre of the disturbance. After some work, the guard have discovered that they were looking in the direction of a homeless child that lived around the docks - a child who now can't be found...
    Something makes me want to try and tie these two together...
    Casters: Borka1, Butcher1/3, Doomy2, Harkevich, Irusk2, Jaga-Jaga, Karchev, Maelok, Sorscha1/2, Strakhov, Vlad1/3, Zerkova
    Quote Originally Posted by Charger View Post
    That's why you don't cast Impending Doom at work

A trio of Llaelese nobles are bored with life in exile, so organise a Big Game Safari. They each want to bag a big beasty to adorn the walls of the gentlemans club. Whether its the tucks of a Titan, quills from a Dire Troll, or skin of a Pureblood Warpwolf.
    But they need guides, men at arms, porters, chaps to do the manual labour, keep them safe, and soften up the game for them.
    Despite the nobles being hideously obnoxious, the pay is excellent, with bonus's for letting them get the kill shot, and for them all returning safely.

(Perfect for when the Monsternomicon releases)

This is probably more of a campaign seed. The characters backed by one of the Iron Kingdoms, but are not viewed well by their superiors. Thus they are "rewarded" by being put in charge of some out of the way outpost. It seems to be an excellent way to have the group receive backing by their faction, but still need to loot for supplies. Plus the need to keep such materiel out of enemy hands.

- In a mine in Khador have been discovered a number of Orgoth artifact. Greylord with escort are sent to retrieve them.

- Since two months an undercover team of CRS man in a city in Free Lael haven't sent reports. Investigate.

• Son, a Machine Wraith can not infest a Man-O-War suit and run around. Nope, not possible. I'm sure of it.
    • A Pistol Wraith claims to have recovered its memories, and wants to return to its job with the Amethyst Rose.
    • The Pillars of Rotterhorn are hidden by a massive sandstorm for weeks. When it subsides, something is revealed.
    • The rabid warpwolf was just the first sign of something going terribly wrong in the local Circle tribe.
    • What was found at the bottom of Lord Kharazak's Tomb? (a demented Dr Seuss book)
    • Lights are seen in the Moon Arch of Ios for the first time in centuries. Could that collosal really be a returning Elven god?
    • Good: Holy Relic of Morrow found! Bad: Its in Drer Drakkerung in the Scharde Islands.
    • An unnatural flash flood is surging down the Dragons Tongue towards Five Fingers. Does anyone care?

A local alchemist, after drinking a bit too much, bragged to have found a way to create grenades cheaply and safely. He's thrown out while ranting how it'll revolutionize warfare in Immoren. The next day he's found dead. There's now a race to find his lab, his notes, and recreate his formula (if it exists!) or to destroy any traces of it.

• Which sides are the players on?
    • Was it real or drunken rambling?
    • If real, is there some secret ingredient needed?
    • How much will people pay to obtain or deny the secret, regardless of its truth?
    "And remember; if you can't be a good sport, don't play!" ~Fred Guzman

An arcanist/arcane mechanik claims to have found a way to nullify a dragons athanc, thus potentially destroying dragons forever. His device to clean up blight needs work however.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast