Thread: 1st game of ZKO

Destroyer of Worlds

Default 1st game of ZKO

I played my first game of Zombies Keep Out tonight. 6 players. We won pretty handily with no break throughs and only 3 people bit with only a single bite token each (I was criticized for going to zombie mumble too quickly, should have slurred my speech instead of zombie mumbled! Nuts! I like zombie mumbling!)

We won... but MAN there were a ton of zombies on the board! Another turn or two and we would have had some serious zombie break throughs happening!

Fun game. Very thematic. Easy to pick up, but some really challenging decision points EACH TURN. Had lots of fun!

grrrrARGmmmblearggrrrrrr...

I picked it up today and played some 2 player action.

There really are a lot of tough choices. Especially when NONE of the Terrible Things are even remotely lenient. We managed to build the rocket launcher (gadget that takes out 1 zombie from 2 zones) and so my Dad "tanked", pushing the button and taking bite tokens so I could build the other two gadgets. We got a good rhythm going and got lucky on some of the cards and pulled out a win. But man, we almost had the entire zombie pool on the board at one point.

Super fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Evi1Gnom3 View Post
    I picked it up today and played some 2 player action.

There really are a lot of tough choices. Especially when NONE of the Terrible Things are even remotely lenient. We managed to build the rocket launcher (gadget that takes out 1 zombie from 2 zones) and so my Dad "tanked", pushing the button and taking bite tokens so I could build the other two gadgets. We got a good rhythm going and got lucky on some of the cards and pulled out a win. But man, we almost had the entire zombie pool on the board at one point.

Super fun!
    My wife and I had a similar play style, it was a lot of fun

Quote Originally Posted by Evi1Gnom3 View Post
    But man, we almost had the entire zombie pool on the board at one point.
    I had that happen... scary things happen...

Played a 3 player game, and we ended up losing... We had 2 contraptions done, halfway through our third when we realized we had been ignoring the zombies a tad too long. We were really impressed at how the momentum immediately shifted to near panic for us! Game was a lot of fun! Now to play the WM/H scenario...
    Check out my YouTube battle reports, Should've Turned Left

Hungerford's Favorite Judge rydiafan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Canadianized View Post
    I had that happen... scary things happen...

Played a 3 player game, and we ended up losing... We had 2 contraptions done, halfway through our third when we realized we had been ignoring the zombies a tad too long. We were really impressed at how the momentum immediately shifted to near panic for us! Game was a lot of fun! Now to play the WM/H scenario...
    Very often you're thinking "Man, this game is super easy. We've taken no damage and have two devices done" and then you run out of runners and the next half dozen Terrible Things are "add a runner, everyone takes four bites, or shuffle all zombies four times and weep!"
    Skip the committee, skip the popularity contests, and skip the convention tour.
    Earn your way onto the USA's World Team Championship team in one fell swoop by crushing your opponents at The Americas' Team Championship!

Quote Originally Posted by rydiafan View Post
    Very often you're thinking "Man, this game is super easy. We've taken no damage and have two devices done" and then you run out of runners and the next half dozen Terrible Things are "add a runner, everyone takes four bites, or shuffle all zombies four times and weep!"
    That card sounds amazing.

I might have just read the next ZKO promo card.
    2003-2008 (Dacarnix): No Quarter contributor, playtest group lead, organized play writer, freelance game developer
    2008-2015 (PPS_DC): development manager at Privateer Press HQ
    2015-20XX (DC): infernal, No Quarter contributor, independent game developer

Zombie Conqueror

Is weeping allowed with 3 or more bites?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingbobb View Post
    Is weeping allowed with 3 or more bites?
    We should have been clearer in the rulebook, but yes, weeping is allowed until you take your 4th bite token.

Then you can only moan-laugh at the non-zombies when Terrible Things happen.
    2003-2008 (Dacarnix): No Quarter contributor, playtest group lead, organized play writer, freelance game developer
    2008-2015 (PPS_DC): development manager at Privateer Press HQ
    2015-20XX (DC): infernal, No Quarter contributor, independent game developer

I can't believe my group made fun of my Zombie voice - sure it came out a little "Rocky" once I got two bite tokens, but I stand by it! "Hey Mr. Tiger, want to come to my wedding?"
    -High Command Infernal since 9th September 2013

-Warmachine and Hordes Infernal since 2nd November 2015

That's cause a "Posh zombie" is very silly to hear
    Proud sell-sword for the Merc cause Pod-merc for Flock and Awe and Glory and Coin

241pt Khador Painted
    347pt Mercs Painted Best Merc Welsh Masters 2015
    259pt Legion Painted