Default Advice on next Bodgers game

So like most of you I have a group of gamer friends and non gamer friends. all the board games that my non gamer friends want to play I loathe and all the games I have overwhelm my non gamer friends.

so I bought ZKO, and it's brilliant. It isn't overwhelming to my non gamer friends and it has enough depth to keep the interest of my gamer friends.

I want another Bodgers game. What do you recommend? I've never tried anything of them.

Thanks!
    The Afflicted: Brun, Durgen, Sorcha2, Lord of the Feast, Narn, Lylyth2, Baldur1, Skarre1, Makeda3, Hexeris2, Gerlak, Eiryss2, Mordikaar...
    Quote Originally Posted by Neutralyze View Post
    Jake! Stop trollin Jake!

I'm admittedly biased, but I would say Bodgermania is probably your best bet to hit the same gamer / non-gamer balance.
    2003-2008 (Dacarnix): No Quarter contributor, playtest group lead, organized play writer, freelance game developer
    2008-2015 (PPS_DC): development manager at Privateer Press HQ
    2015-20XX (DC): infernal, No Quarter contributor, independent game developer

Thanks a lot DC, what do you feel is the most appealing mechanic of Bodgermania?
    The Afflicted: Brun, Durgen, Sorcha2, Lord of the Feast, Narn, Lylyth2, Baldur1, Skarre1, Makeda3, Hexeris2, Gerlak, Eiryss2, Mordikaar...
    Jake! Stop trollin Jake!

Destroyer of Worlds tutenkharnage's Avatar
    Crawling through the Undercity with the BRI

DC's got a good point. As a card game that combines drafting and trick-taking, BodgerMania is certainly "non-gamer" enough to interest your non-gamer friends. In fact, you could safely ignore the wrestling angle when you explain it to your friends, and they wouldn't even notice. If you could cover up the artwork, leaving you with nothing but two decks of cards with numbers and suits on them, you'd have a solid card game with several angles that would interest people who like Spades, Hearts, and similar games. In this respect, I think it's solidly in the "non-gamer" camp; there's nothing besides the typically fun artwork that screams "bodger wrestling" to me. (For the record, my favorite art in the set is the referee on the "Long Count" prize card.)

But anyone who could handle plastic zombies in ZKO is probably capable of handling Heap, and Heap feels much more "gamer" to me without going overboard. The gameplay might seem somewhat complicated on first glance, but it's very smooth. I introduced it to two players last week: one who is familiar with all things "fantasy," and one whose only previous exposure to games in that genre was Scrappers. Both of them caught on very quickly without any difficulty, and both appreciated the many decisions they had to make throughout the game. Also, the game includes a phase I like to call "the Uno phase," which involves attacking and defending (blocking) with red, yellow, and green colors. If your friends have played Uno, they'll be very familiar with this concept, so the Rush the Heap phase will help you bring them home, so to speak, after you've explained the very bodger-like rules regarding your four vehicles, upgrading them, hauling parts, etc.

Admittedly, as a gamer, I'm probably biased, and I might be overlooking how baffling a Heap vehicle card will look to a non-gamer. Why not take a look at the rulebooks and decide for yourself? I'll include Scrappers because it's the first Bodgers product I bought. (The game is best played with three or four players, and you can omit the rules for the two non-player characters while you're getting your feet wet.)

http://privateerpress.com/files/Scra...book%20Web.pdf

http://privateerpress.com/files/Heap...20Online_0.pdf

Oh, and you'll need to watch this excellent video that explains how to play BodgerMania:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pulRXVD8_-o

But that's only because I couldn't find the rulebook. I haven't played Infernal Contraption yet, so I won't comment on it. Cheers!

Thanks for the great feedback, I'll check those out
    Jake! Stop trollin Jake!

Retailer Support and Development PPS_Agel's Avatar

I would say get the ZKO expansion: Night of the Noxious Dead Expansion, cuz glow in the dark zombies adds a new level of crazy. Otherwise I think it depends on the target audience. For example, Infernal Contraption and Scrappers worked great with the High School game club I ran, but Bodgermainia worked better with my adult friends.

Quartermaster's Assistant PPS_Dianne's Avatar

My personal favorite is Heap. I think it involves enough strategy to keep gamer friends compelled but it's easy to pick up and play for non gamers as well. That was the first Bodger game I played, and I take a while to pick up on rules, but I got it and had a blast.

I read the rulebooks, and watched the gameplay videos on youtube and ordered Heap! I'm excited to try it out!!
    Jake! Stop trollin Jake!

Of the four Bodgers games I've played (Scrappers, ZKO, Heap, and BodgerMania), Heap has been the hardest to explain at the start but the most engaging once everyone gets the hang of it. I haven't found a good way to explain the game yet without diving sideways into one related idea or another—for example, how vehicles go turbo in the endgame, or what factors might go into choosing to bodge some parts and hold others. (I've been asked that by each player!) That said, all three players I've explained it to had the hang of it within three rounds of starting their first game. I think it's very appealing to both sides of the gamer/nongamer divide, though. Once the players understand how the Bodge box, the Rush box, and triggers function, they'll find their groove. The Rush the Heap phase is the easiest one to explain to anyone who has played Uno.

As a first game, I'd recommend ZKO, but you've already introduced your friends to it.

I just recently picked up bodgermania and it is easy enough my kifs can play, but fun enough my friends enjoy it. Also, nothing beats some of the artwork (most of Izzy famous' cards I like).

I'll be picking up more bodger games because of it.
    There is nothing more foolish, then assuming you have won before it is over.

I sat down with two coworkers yesterday to play Heap. One of them had played it once before; the other was learning. I had played it twice. We played it again today, and everything was as smooth as silk. The game turned out to be a fantastic one, too—each of us played his last card, but the "rookie" from yesterday saved a Block All for his last card, and he won! It was a lot of fun.

Update: We've recently been playing BodgerMania during lunch breaks when we have more than two players available and HORDES High Command when only two of us are available. BodgerMania has really grown on me. The game forces you to anticipate your opponent's moves and think ahead to what cards you might be handed next, especially after the first turn. Going first during a turn is a lot like going first in High Command—you get to start the ball rolling and dictate play to some extent, but everyone else gains an advantage from watching your moves and reacting to them. (Think of it as acting out of position in a poker game, and you'll see what I mean.)

Anyway, every game we've had has been close, and the player with the most prize cards hasn't won more than a single game yet, I think. But I think that's because I keep finding ways to win the final round each time

Hello,
    If you are looking for the best Bodgers game which then I would recommend for infernal contraption 2nd. It is an ultimate source of fun stand alone card game of mechanical system where 2-4 players where goblin bodgers race to assemble their nigh-uncontrollable machines of mass consumption! You can also have all the rules for rummy that will help you to find awesome gaming experience. It has the potential to keep opponent off balance and it can explode with the right set up and once there is an established field is somewhat hard to break.

BodgerMania that i recommend to u.