Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default In The Forest Something Lurks (Old Witch)

Game 1 - Circle Orboros. Tom from the NJ SOBs was extremely gentlemanly and leant me models for a three list Masters tournament that ran this weekend at The Only Game in Town, New Jersey. Normally I like to play mostly painted, but since I was borrowing models with mixed schemes, I figured I'd take the opportunity to play some net lists. I brought Nigel Brooks' Strakhov list with Torch and Malakov and Jamie Perkins' pSorscha list with Behemoth. I also wanted to play Old Witch, but couldn't find a net list that didn't use the characters I was already taking. The tournament was starting, War Room crashed, so I write something down, I hand my list in, and this is it.

Old Witch
    * Scrapjack
    * Black Ivan
    * Spriggan
    Greygore Boomhowler & Co Max
    Kayazy Assassins Max
    + Underboss
    Harlan Versh

My first round opponent is Becky. She was super friendly. In fact, I met her the previous Thursday and she'd offered to give up her place on a table so I could play. She confided that it was her first tournament, so I decided it'd be best for both of us if I play the Old Witch.

Becky brought epic Morvahna with two Warpwolf Stalkers, Kromac with Ghetorix, a Warpwolf Stalker, a Feral Warpwolf and a Gorax, and epic Krueger with Megalith and two Warpwolf Stalkers. She decides to play the werewolf. Kromac has poor defensive stats as a human, but he can Beast Out to become 15/17 when damaged. His main spell is Inviolable Resolve which grants +2 ARM (and Fearless). He also has Warpath for awesome movement shenanigans for the battlegroup.

Kromac
    * Ghetorix
    * Warpwolf Stalker
    * Feral Warpwolf
    * Gorax
    Gallows Grove
    Gallows Grove
    Shifting Stones
    + Stone Keeper
    Shifting Stones
    Druid Stoneward & Woldstalkers
    Bloodweavers
    Druid Wilder
    Gobber Bellows Crew

The first round is Incursion (three flags). Becky kindly suggests that the green mound is a forest, while the brown pile is a hill. There are also two linear obstacles on each side. I win the roll and choose to go first. Becky takes the side with the hill. Woohoo! Old Witch LOVES having a forest. There is no Kill Box.

Old Witch and her battlegroup hide behind the forest. The Boomhowlers sit in the middle, with the Kayazy on the left. I remember to leave a gap between the trolls so that Scrapjack can see the Kayazy.

Becky places her Bloodweavers across from the Kayazy, the Woldstalkers centrally and the heavies opposite Old Witch.

T1a. Old Witch gives focus to her heavies, puts Iron Flesh on the Kayazy and Weald Secrets on Spriggan. Everything else runs, apart from Harlan Versh who forgets to activate.

T1b. Kromac puts Inviolable Resolve on Ghetorix and Warpath on himself. Everything else runs up. The left flag goes away (at the end of my next turn)!

T2a. Black Ivan gets focus. He tries to kill a stone from the right hand unit. Stealth from the Stonekeeper causes it to take only blast damage, which does nothing, even boosted. The Bloodweavers have an ability that allows them to remove upkeeps when they hit. I don't like the idea of losing Iron Flesh from my super sneaky assassins, so Boomhowler & Co. swap places with them. Old Witch hates the idea of getting stoned by Ghetorix, so stays way in the back at the heel of the forest.

T2b. Kromac fires a Rift at the Boomhowlers, killing the target. The Bloodweavers charge the Boomhowlers, killing a couple, but leaving the troll himself alive. One Bloodweaver charges a Kayazy, and another runs to engage, but needs 13s to hit. In retrospect, the running Bloodweaver should have been looking to engage to at least make it 11s. So the Kayazy get to stay annoying! The Woldstalkers shoot at the Kayazy, but don't get any hits.

Last edited by Lacerto; 08-03-2014 at 03:04 PM.

T3a. Still, I decide I want to kill that right hand stone. The Kayazy drop Iron Flesh so that they can charge. Old Witch gives three to Spriggan. She's scheming to get Ghetorix dragged into Spriggan's charge range. Scrapjack wanders up to the edge of the forest so that he can get line of sight on Ghetorix and Old Witch Gallows for 3". Spriggan activates... and realizes he can't see the beast! Oh noes! He wanders to the edge of the forest and shoots some Woldstalkers with his grenades. It was only after the game that someone pointed out that Old Witch grants Augury to her battlegroup to ignore forests and clouds for line of site. Awesome!

But that didn't happen, so Harlan Versh steps up. Ghetorix has Inviolable Resolve up, so he's getting boosted attack and damage rolls. The guy goes to town, scoring four hits against the monster and causing a reasonable chunk of damage.

The Kayazy minifeat and charge in little pairs. They kill the two nearby Bloodweavers, a Woldstalker, but miss Ghetorix. The Boomhowlers don't get much done, other than lock in the fact that I forgot to make attacks with the two Kayazy who charged the Shifting Stone I'm trying to get dead.

T3b. The Warpwolves kill the trolls and a few Kayazy, and Ghetorix kills his two. A Woldstalker tries to kill Harlan Versh, but misses.

T4a. Harlan smiles to himself and mutters a blessing to Morrow as he aims his Quad Iron at Ghetorix. The Unnatural creature is still imbued with unholy energies that must be PURGED! PEW! PEW! PEW! he gets four more shots on Ghetorix, finishing off the monstrosity. Morrow be praised! Black Ivan blasts the Gallows Grove to tinder. Scrapjack charges the Warpwolf Stalker, putting some damage on it. Spriggan charges, slaughtering it with good dice on his initials.

T4b. The Gorax was in the far left field where it had made lots of attacks last turn. It frenzies, killing Boomhowler. The Feral Warpwolf is being tied up by two Kayazy, and kills them. The Woldstalkers engage the Spriggan, Harlan and Black Ivan.

T5a I don't like the Woldstalkers being so close to Old Witch, so Black Ivan punches his Woldstalker. Harlan stabs his Woldstalker to death. Yeah, go Harlan! Spriggan ignores his Woldstalker and charges the Feral, getting some damage on it. Scrapjack reverses into the Woods to try to get on the line between Kromac and Old Witch.

T5b Becky has about 2 minutes left on her Deathclock to end the game, and has nothing anywhere near Old Witch. She thinks for a minute, then concedes.

Yay, fun times. Maybe Old Witch is actually good tech against Circle. I think this game really came down to the forest. There was no need for Old Witch to do anything other than hide right at the back in a woody bunker. I think I might need to get some Tactical Arcanist Corps in case I come up a battlefield without the perfect forest!

Iron Flesh Kayazy, just wow! I did feel a little bit bad. And yet... I might do it again. Those stones are really hard to kill. Becky didn't brutalize me with them, but I was expecting it the whole game, so very scared. Perhaps Widowmakers work better against them? And man of the match has to go to Harlan. He was MEAN! Eight boosted POW 12s is a lot of beef from a 2 point solo. Living the dream!

1/0

Great work and good win with the witch

Nice report, sounds like a fun game.

The only thing is your last comment, Harlan Versh's gun is only POW10.

Thanks Ulfast, yep, it was a fun time. Looking forward to getting a witch for myself!

Greetings to The Lieutenant. Good spot. Hmm, I'm going to assume I got it right on the day, but double check next time I play with that guy!

If I cheated you Becky, I'm sorry! :-D

Chris you were a fantastic opponent! I very much enjoyed playing with you! Hopefully you'll be back again so I can redeem myself!
    Bex
    www.wolfdenpodcast.com a place for hobby!

I noticed in the first game that you said the Spriggan couldn't see Ghetorix. Was that because of the woods? Despite Augury.
    Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Nice BatRep. I loved Granny and her Tin Bucket. She is what lead me away from Khador,
    The Scaly-Side is always there waiting for you to enter; waiting to enter you. Until next time, try to enjoy the daylight.
    2016: 6Months of Blindwater Barnabus 2-1 Maelok 1-0, Rask 2-0, Jaga-Jaga 1-0 Calaban 1-1 Overall 7-2

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuardsman View Post
    I noticed in the first game that you said the Spriggan couldn't see Ghetorix. Was that because of the woods? Despite Augury.
    You are entirely right JoeGuardsman, I was in fact incorrect that Spriggan couldn't see Ghetorix. But I didn't realise until later. I'll get it correct next time!

Hi nolez, I'm not quite ready to leave Khador yet, but looking forward to running Khador models with an arc node!

The horror that is iron fleshed kayazi, still good game!

for the record Kromac has a heap of very good spells, and I usually consider warpath, wild aggresion and bestial to be his mainstays. Bestial in particular is horrible for people like me who enjoy casting spells
    Impressively average

Game 2 - Protectorate of Menoth. Woo, I got Old Witch. But I am now getting really behind in my painting. Andy was keen to play against Old Witch and she is only just base coated. I recently picked up the Tactical Arcanist Corps too as I thought they might bring a nice and hard-wearing cloud wall for her. I'll challenge myself to stick with this list until it's fully painted!

I'm pretty sure the Witch wants to play deep, so I brought three bombards that could anchor late game. Behemoth is awesome and I really want Black Ivan to be good. The Boomhowlers would do their favourite job of jamming. I had to decide between Aiyana and Holt for magic weapons and Eiryss for upkeep removal. Eiryss fitted neatly, so that was that.

Old Witch of Khador
    * Scrapjack
    * Black Ivan
    Andrei Malakov
    * Behemoth
    Gorman di Wulfe
    Eiryss, Angel of Retribution
    Widowmakers
    Great Bears of Gallowswood
    Boomhowler & Co. Max
    Tactical Arcanist Corps

Andy brought a combined arms list of Kreoss1 with Exemplars and Avatar.

High Exemplar Kreoss
    * Vanquisher
    * Redeemer
    * Repenter
    Knights Exemplar
    + Officer & Standard
    Paladin of the Wall
    Paladin of the Wall
    Dartan Vilmon
    Exemplar Errant Seneschal
    Knights Exemplar
    Vassal of Menoth
    Choir of Menoth

We rolled for scenario and randomly selected... Incursion. Well, Andy hasn't played for a while, so this seemed fair enough. Three flags on the centreline. A flank flag will disappear at the bottom of 2. Each can be controlled or dominated for 1 CP; dominating the flank flag is worth 2 CP.

There was a house, wood and hill on one side and a hill, hedge and wood on the other. Andy won the roll and chose to go second, and selected the side with the house.

I'm planning to layer as deep as possible, so keep my relatively low model count army as a tight brick in front of the middle flag. Witch stands on the left so that she can nip into the forest for Prowl. Andy makes a brick in behind the left flag. Eiryss and the Widowmakers deploy on the left opposite the Errants.

T1a Everything runs. Boomhowler sings Call of Defiance (4+ tough) and the Company run, then get Iron Flesh from Witch. She also casts Weald Secrets on Black Ivan for +2 DEF. Wow, the TAC really are slow. The Bears scootch right to cover the other flag.

T1b Andy's brick blobs up, the Errants get Defender's Ward and climb the hill. The left flag disappears, putting scenario fully into play. I'm glad I committed the Bears right, those Knights Exemplar can be hard to remove. I'm concerned about the Paladins; with Vilmon they can become impervious to nonmagical attacks.

T2a Note to self, let Iron Flesh drop from the Boomhowlers next time. The Boomhowlers run to jam, but at SPD -1 come shy of engaging the Protectorate front line.

The Widowmakers aim to shoot a few Errants needing 7s on the hill. The Errants self sacrifice to keep the front row alive. I then move up Eiryss, realizing I've missed the opportunity to strip Defender's Ward before shooting with the Widowmakers. She's only range 12", so I move her right up to almost touching the Widowmakers. Mistakes were made. She misses.

My jacks were too far away to take meaningful shots at the start of the turn, so they amble up a little way now that there's space. They don't want to commit too deep as they fear Kreoss' pop and drop. The Bears run to capture the right flag.

T2b Or the turn in which I get rightly punished for my positioning errors. The Vanquisher catches 3 Widowmakers and Eiryss in its 4" AOE, killing all of them instantly. The survivor bravely accepts this calamity with true Khadoran grit. Her bravery goes unnoticed though as the Errants gun her down. Ouch! Deserved!

The Avatar kills 2 Boomhowlers before I remember they have Iron Flesh. The Repenter tries to burn them but misses the slippery orange devils. Kreoss casts Lamentation to remove Iron Flesh, then puts Defender's Ward back on the Errants. The Vassal requests another Repenter attack on the Boomhowlers. One gets hit but toughs. The Paladins and Knights Exemplar commit to the Boomhowlers, killing several.

The Bears claim 1 CP from the right flag.

T3a I'm hoping that I can get some damage on Avatar so want to get him Blind. Witch arcs a Gallows onto Avatar to drag it nearer to Black Ivan. We later realise that Avatar can't be targeted by magic attacks, whoops. A Boomhowler stands up and walks into the nest behind the Vanquisher and Avatar. The rest of the Boomhowlers make inconsequential attacks. Gorman throws Black Oil at the back of the Boomhowler, blinding both jacks.

I then realise that the Choir put passage up. So no shooting at the Avatar. Drat! My plans are so bad.

Behemoth and the TAC put damage into the Paladins and Knights Exemplar, leaving three Knights at ARM 18, Vilmon unharmed, and a Paladin on 1 box.

The Bears claim a second CP from the right flag.

T3b Blind Vanquisher does nothing. Blind Avatar buys a few ineffectual attacks against Boomhowlers. The Repenter kills Boomhowler himself. The Errants kill another Boomhowler and Gorman. A Paladin kills a Boomhowler. My orange heroes flee under this brutal onslaught. Knights Exemplar surround the flag.

The Bears claim a third CP from the right flag.

T4a OMG! I just need to clear a few guys off the flag and I win this turn! Woo, woo, exciting!

So 100% commitment to killing those 5 guys. But its fine, I've got 7 significant attacks to do it. What can go wrong?

With tunnel vision fully in force, I engage the hare brained scheme of running the Scrapjack towards the flag, arcing a Gallows at the Knight Exemplar to drag it adjacent to the Paladins for more chances at blast damage, but fail to kill. I don't boost because I have this idea that teleporting to Scrapjack away from the advancing jack wall, and place her near the middle of the table behind a hedge. I'm assuming that the game will be over soon, so don't even think about feating. How right I am.

Black Ivan waddles up and fails to kill the knight Exemplar. At this point I realise that pushing a guy away from the flag would have been awesome. At this point I've got 5 attacks to take out 5 guys and I realise I've made a horrible mistake.

I scramble to protect the woefully undefended Witch by running Redlined Behemoth between her and the ominously pink army. A TAC dwarf walks to base contact with the Witch, while the other two shoot but fail to kill knights. And I forget to actually cast smoke. So Witch does not achieve Stealth.

So I pass to the last turn, scoring to four CPs with a tear in my eye.

T5b Kreoss pops his FEAT, knocking my army down. Vanquisher rolls trip ones for damage on Witch, inflicting 2, and kills the impotent dwarf. This opens a charge lane for a Knight Exemplar to charge and slay her.

Ugh, how did I let a game so tightly in my grasp slip away. Just running Witch to my back table edge and running to engage the 5 models that had a chance to contest the right flag would have been unbeatable. Perhaps lesson learned?

Andy definitely made mistakes in his deployment, and had some order of activation issues. The Boomhowlers did a great job of frustrating his plans. I'm happy with my list, and will keep it in this configuration for a while I try to play a half decent game.

1/1
    Last edited by Lacerto; 11-07-2014 at 03:50 PM.

Derps were made, otherwise a neat battle, and way ahead on vp's.
    Old witch is a great toolbox, but pretty squishy.
    Impressively average

Despite feeling bad about my mistakes it was a really fun game. I definitely need to plan how I'm going to use Gallows better. It's such an awesome spell, yet both my choices were at best suboptimal.

She isn't a front line caster, but I didn't intend to ever get Witch within 23" of Kreoss! Not looking forward to the Earthbreaker+Killbox matchup!

Old witch has khadors only arc node, comes in handy with gallows and such
    Impressively average

Vanquisher can't kill TAC, they're immune to Fire

Nice read!

Destroyer of Worlds Lord Azathoth's Avatar

A good learning game, thanks for posting!

Hey SevenSins, I think I was too eager to get the Gallows off. Looking back at the turn I illegally Gallowsed the Avatar, I would have been better just running to engage that lead Errant with Scrapjack and walking the target Boomhowler in between the jacks where they were.

Thanks Kasczei, elemental immunities require two rememberings - that the model has it, and that the attacker has that type. I face so much Protectorate I just need to get those memorized!

Thanks Lord Azathoth, glad you enjoyed it.

Game 3 - Cryx. After a long time of trying to find a good time that suited us both, I finally managed to have Stuart round for some gaming. I was excited to see some Cryx as I've only played them three times before.

As I knew Stuart would be bringing Cryx, I felt it was only proper that I teched against him. This means that Old Witch is a must (even though she's still not fully painted). I took the list I played last time, but to make full use of Augury I replaced Andrei with Aiyana & Holt. To get more magic attacks in I also swapped Boomhowler & Co. for Doom Reavers.

Old Witch of Khador
    * Scrapjack
    * Black Ivan
    * Behemoth
    + Sylys Wyshnalyrr
    Gorman di Wulfe
    Eiryss, Angel of Retribution
    Widowmakers
    Great Bears of Gallowswood
    Doom Reavers
    Aiyana & Holt
    Tactical Arcanist Corps

Suspecting my evil and dishonourable shenanigans, rather than bringing lots of warriors, Stuart zagged.

Master Necrotech Mortenebra
    + Deryliss
    * Deathjack
    * Harrower
    * Leviathan
    * Stalker
    * Scavenger
    * Seether
    * Defiler
    Warwitch Siren
    Warwitch Siren
    Necrotech & Scrap Thrall

His list was Infernal Machines - Tier 4. The benefits at tier 4 are to reduce the point cost of helljacks by 1, and his deployment zone is extended 2" forward.

We roll for scenario and get Fire Support. Two flags on the centre line can be controlled for 1 or dominated for 2 CPs. The right flag is contested by an enemy objective just behind it. The enemy objective can be destroyed for 1 CP. I get first turn and deploy the Witch and her battlegroup behind the forest. The dwarves and Bears deploy centrally.

Stuart puts his blob just left of centre, away from Witch. The Doom Reavers and Widowmakers deploy across from this. Deathjack and the Stalker are almost in line with the Cryx objective.

T1a I run the Doom Reavers towards Deathjack. Everything else advances or runs up. Witch places a Murder of Crows in front of the Stalker to slow that cruel robot down. She whispers Weald Secrets to Behemoth. She arcs Iron Flesh onto the Widowmakers to help them survive.

T1b Mortenebra puts Spectral Steel on Deathjack and casts Terminal Velocity, for +2" charge and boosted attack rolls against living models. Deathjack charges and kills the nearest Doom Reaver. The Harrower kills another, the Defiler sprays another, and the Scrap Thrall cuddles one more. Everything else advances or runs up.

T2a Everything tries to kill Deathjack. Eiryss snipes a shot at the cursed robot, removing Spectral Steel, taking Deathjack back to ARM 19. Sadly Aiyana misses with Kiss of Lyliss. Ivan is out of range and the shot scatters away. Behemoth hits once and gets some damage on the dark machine. The Tactical Arcanist Corps get some damage on the robot, but fail to cripple a system. Only one Doom Reaver gets on Deathjack (a second runs to engage), and rolls poorly... the machine survives!

The Witch is surrounded on all sides by enemies so FEATS! She also casts Iron Flesh on herself.

T2b Mortenebra casts Overrun on the Harrower. The Scavenger kills one of the Doom Reavers engaging Deathjack. The Harrower threshes, killing the last two Doom Reavers (Deathjack eats the tortured Doom Reaver soul and turns it into spare parts. It rolls 6 for repair). The Harrower Overruns towards Eiryss, but is just out of melee at the end of movement. Deathjack charges into the Iron Flesh Widowmakers. It eats one Widowmaker, rolling 5 on the Rendering. Deathjack is in good shape at this point.

The rest of Stuart's guys shuffle into position while staying outside of Old Witch's control area, while the Seether sacrifices it's movement.

T3a I must kill Deathjack this turn, and Behemoth is going to do it. The Tactical Arcanist Corps need to get out of the kill zone, so waddle up and shoot fiery magic shots at the Seether. With a roar, it sets on fire.

Eiryss shoots Deathjack again, removing Spectral Steel. Gorman walks up and throws a blind grenade at Deathjack. Aiyana gets Kiss of Lyliss onto Deathjack. Deathjack looks like he's a hair over 9.5" away from Behemoth, so Witch arcs Gallows at Deathjack, dragging it into base contact with Gorman (who is not afraid) and Scrapjack. Behemoth charges the creepy robot, dismantling it utterly, with a focus to spare.

The Great Bears then charge the Harrower... but are just out of range. Oh noes. I thought the second could run around the first to engage, but I've misjudged the distances. Instead they both end up side by side.

Last edited by Lacerto; 01-09-2015 at 03:50 PM.

The Stalker is potentially a problem for Old Witch, but although Mortenebra can make it ghostly, it cannot see the Witch who is deeper than 3" into the forest.

T3b Mortenebra casts Terminal Velocity to give her warjacks free charges, +2" movement on charges against living models, and boosted attack rolls. She then FEATS! Her warjacks are recalibrated to allow attack and damage dice to be rerolled.

The Seether and Defiler kill all three Tactical Arcanists. The Harrower kills the two unlucky Great Bears, leaving just Yarovich. It also gets a Widowmaker, causing the survivor to flee.

The Scavenger flies across the battlefield at super fast speed and rends the Old Witch. She's beaten down to 6 boxes. The Stalker moves into her forest.

T4a Things are looking fairly ropey, so I'm wondering if I can get an angle on Mortenebra. The Defiler is now standing in front of Behemoth, and Mortenebra is pretty far away. But if I can throw the Defiler out of the way, Gallows Mortenebra in, then charge in with Behemoth, this might just work. Black Ivan goes in on the Defiler, reaches out with his Claw, and realises that he's got no chance of catching the Defiler without a second focus to boost hit (well, 9s). The throw fails, and my janky assassination takes a turn for the worse at the first hurdle. Well, I could still get Aiyana, Gorman and Yarovich on her. Old Witch arcs Gallows at Mortenebra with Arcane Secrets (unboosted needing 8s) but misses. Okay, so this is pretty much over. She flails against the Scavenger, doing nothing. Behemoth ambles over and swats the pesky gnat dead with initials. Gorman throws a blind bomb at Ivan's back arc. It misses, but the scatter catches the Defiler, Seether and Ivan. Yarovich charges the blind Defiler, putting fair damage on it.

Oh dear. I basically have to have the Stalker miss Old Witch repeatedly... at DEF 18 that could happen?

T4b It turns out that Arcane Assassin means that the Stalker ignores Iron Flesh. With boosted attack rolls from Terminal Velocity it is over!

Well, I need to work on my speed. That was a long game, more practice definitely needed with the Witch. As I was playing it felt like I wasn't making horrible decisions, but looking back, even with so few models I was completely getting models in the way of others, left my Widowmakers in threat of the infantry sweeping jacks for no gain, and committed to an assassination that was all or nothing. After the game Stuart suggested Behemoth throwing the Scavenger at the Stalker, then shooting the Scavenger (probably killing it) to at least take a focus from the Stalker. Also, doing that before Witch activating would have allowed her to walk away a little. Perhaps even Murder of Crows on herself to hit the Stalker when it comes in?

On turn 2 I perhaps could have modified my activations to try getting the Great Bears onto Deathjack. Probably I would have needed to start moving them into position on turn 1. But if I see an advance deploy Deathjack tearing down the field in future, I will look for that opportunity.

Still, a good game, looking forward to the next one!

1/2

Did you think about moving scrapjack and teleporting (Unseen Paths) OW closer to him?
    Last edited by nolez420; 01-09-2015 at 11:59 PM.
    The Scaly-Side is always there waiting for you to enter; waiting to enter you. Until next time, try to enjoy the daylight.
    2016: 6Months of Blindwater Barnabus 2-1 Maelok 1-0, Rask 2-0, Jaga-Jaga 1-0 Calaban 1-1 Overall 7-2

Hi nolez, at the time I felt like I was in a rough spot and had to go for the janky assassination. Looking back, maybe you're right. With the Harrower disrupted, he would have had to be lucky to finish Iron Flesh witch off. My heavies were still in a fine position for threatening Mortenebra. Maybe Witch sitting next to Harrower would have been fine if there were no infantry nearby...

Game 4 - Legion of Everblight. I had an opportunity to play against my friend Ian last week while down South. Ian only plays against me at the moment, but has recently picked up the all-in-one box. Looking forward to seeing that lot on the table. For now, here is his list:

Lylyth2
    * Ravagore
    * Angelius
    * Naga Nightlurker
    Shepherd
    Shepherd
    Raptors Min
    Strider Rangers
    Strider Deathstalker

I brought some units I wanted to try out together, in particular Manhunters supporting Doom Reavers. I'm thinking Fearless units will be essential when Ruin drops.

Old Witch
    * Behemoth
    * Kodiak
    * Scrapjack
    Kovnik Malakov
    Manhunter
    Manhunter
    Doom Reavers
    Widowmakers

We played Close Quarters. We each have a flag that our opponent can control for 1 Control Point, or dominate for 2. The scenario has Kill Box YES!

There's a wood on one edge of the centre region, and one just in front of a zone. There are several walls. I win the roll and Ian chooses the side without the wood.

I want to keep Old Witch in the near right corner, just in the Kill Box, but with the option of dominating the friendly flag.

Ian places his Raptors on the left and beasts split around the centre. I place Widowmakers left and Doom Reavers centrally. Ian deploys his Rangers diagonally across (in safety) from the Widowmakers.

T1a The Doom Reavers run up, everything else hangs further back. Old Witch puts Iron Flesh on herself.

T1b The Raptors run full tilt down the left flank. The Strider Rangers walk up and shoot the lead Doom Reavers to death. The Ravagore tries to drift a scather onto the Doom Reavers, but scatters backwards, nowhere useful. Lylyth casts Shadowpack, giving her battlegroup Stealth.

T2a The Doom Reavers charge the Rangers, killing one, engaging another, and forgetting to force a command check. Old Witch has to run up behind the Kodiak to get into the Kill Box. Behemoth shoots the Angelius, but it has Stealth thanks to Shadowpack. The Manhunter kills the lead Raptor, then the Manhunters miss. The Widowmakers miss the next Raptor, but Kovnik Malakov slays the deer.

T2b Lylyth FEATS! She kills a Doom Reaver, and puts a shot into the Kodiak. She tries to kill the Manhunter and misses. She tries again and leaves her on one box! The Rangers kill the surviving Doom Reavers. The surviving Raptor fails to shoot the Manhunter to death, then light cavalry moves away. The Ravagore shoots the Kodiak, twice with the feat shot, taking out the cortex and right arm.

T3a I extemporise for a long time, as it looks like I can run Scrapjack at Lylyth, then Unseen Path Witch into melee with the slippery warlock. I eventually decide that Old Witch wouldn't make it into melee and look at the attrition plan instead.

The Manhunter charges the surviving Raptor, but is just out of range to get her revenge. The Widowmakers and Kovnik Malakov try to kill the Raptor, but can't catch him behind the wall. With Lylyth's battlegroup being Stealthy, Behemoth decides to finish the job. Scrapjack charges the Raptors, but finds DEF 15 too challenging to catch. Kodiak and Witch skip out of the Scather. The Witch FEATS!

T3b The Naga Nightlurker snakes up to shoot the Kodiak and POINK! takes a POW 14 right in the kisser wiping out his body. Its shot therefore is ineffective against the heavy warjack. The Shepherd isn't in range to heal the wounded beast, so aims. The Ravagore does good damage to the Kodiak, destroying its left arm. The Striders CRA and put a few more damage on the robot. The Angelius shoots the Kodiak, wrecking it. Lylyth shoots the Old Witch, putting a few damage on her.

T4a Behemoth tramples up, scattering AOEs towards the Naga. They are ineffective, but the huge robot is now in an ace screening position. Kovnik Malakov walks up and executes the Shepherd. The Manhunter charges the Angelius and takes off a good chunk. I forget about the bond benefit (to MAT) and only kills one Strider, but walks to engage the Naga. The other Manhunter runs to engage the Carnivean.

T4b The Shepherd heals the Naga's body, and it critical bites Scrapjack, causing Shadowbind (-DEF and no moving next turn). Two Striders kill the Manhunter. The Carnivean slams the Behemoth over Old Witch, causing some damage to her, and knocking her down. Lylyth finishes her off.

Great play there by Ian. Slams are awesome, and something I should have been more concerned about.

Some thoughts on my play:
    • I definitely underestimated how much work Scrapjack would get done against DEF 15 troops! I even charged with my 1 focus on turn 3a when walking and boosting to damage was clearly the correct play.
    • I do need to remember about the option of allocating 4 focus, getting the bond bonus to SPD and MAT.
    • Kovnik Malakov's boosted gun was nice, but seems expensive for 3 pts.
    • The Manhunters did okay, and Stealth even helped against Ian's units. The 2 pt slot is crowded in Khador though.

1/3

Malakov as just a super solo is a bit expensive, now say he was running behemoth, thats 3-4 focus every turn, and +2 speed on a stick, of course you'll need to keep him way back then.
    Avatar of skaughter and light infantry is pretty funny, not usually something you get to do vs legion, but as your opp actually does have some infantry it can happen

legion is scary against old witch, mainly because her chief defensive tech stealth/los blocking clouds and similar doesn't work.
    Impressively average

You are right SevenSins, Redline is too awesome not to use. But getting to ignore trees as part of Old Witch's battlegroup is so cute!

DEF 15 on the Striders puts them well into the need-to-boost zone. Boosted eights are not a done deal but any means, so 6 focus seems like a big investment to take out such a cheap unit. Probably better on high value infantry, and for this matchup, maybe hanging around trying to get in a good position, or blocking slam lanes!

Game 5 - Circle Orboros. Woohoo, a chance to get out for games! My little four month old is slowly starting to sleep better in the evenings, so leaving my good wife is not quite so selfish.

It was a doubly good day as I managed to snag Ruin from the toy shop also.

Mike was keen to give me a game with his Circle. We played Outflank for simplicity; two 12" zones can be controlled for one control point, or dominated for two.

I was excited to learn that Mike had brought Morvahna2. She has a fearsome reputation, so I knew it'd be a tough game. Mike was trying out a new list, so hopefully I won't be too badly crushed!

Morvahna the Dawnshadow
    * Gorax
    * Warpwolf Stalker
    Gallows Grove
    Gallows Grove
    Druids of Orboros
    + Overseer
    Tharn Bloodtrackers
    + Nuala the Huntress
    Tharn Bloodweavers
    Shifting Stones
    + Stone Keeper
    Swamp Gobbers Bellows Crew
    Tharn Ravagers
    + Chieftain

I've been punished by Bloodtrackers before, so know to be careful with those ladies. Dealing with the Stones will be a priority if possible. And with Morvahna2, I need to try to clear whole units if possible.

I finally assembled my second unit of Doom Reavers, and was looking forward to trying them with the Witch.

Old Witch
    * Scrapjack
    * Black Ivan
    Gorman di Wulfe
    Rorsh
    * Brine
    Lady Aiyana & Master Holt
    Iron Fang Uhlans Min
    Widowmakers
    Doom Reavers
    Doom Reavers

I win the roll and go first. I place Witch, her battlegroup and support on the right opposite the central forest and the Uhlans and Rorsch & Brine on the left. Mike deploys his battlegroup centrally. I advance deploy the Doom Reavers centrally opposite the clear centre plain, and the Widowmakers on the left. Mike deploys the Bloodtrackers opposite the Uhlans and names them as prey. The Ravagers go centrally to meet the Doom Reavers, and the Blood Weavers face the Witch.

T1a I don't feel that the Widowmakers are going to get much done against the Stealth Bloodtrackers, so redeploy them to centre. Witch arcs Iron Flesh onto the Uhlans, who move onto the hill.

She also puts Weald Secrets on Black Ivan who runs up. The Doom Reavers move up in deep waves. I put Scrapjack in with the Doom Reavers, hoping that I'll get to drag something juicy into their threat range. I'm not thinking about the Druids' Countermagic of course, so that won't be possible. (6 min)

T1b The Bloodtrackers are in range of 4 Doom Reavers from the lead unit and kill them. The Druids move up and cast clouds and Countermagic. Everything else advances up ominously, like a gathering storm.

T2a I realise that Scrapjack's arcnode won't help as the no spells bubble is huge. I'm thinking about how I need to kill a whole unit or a Stone, but I can't figure out a great way of doing it. I spend some time in the tank plotting how Witch can put Avatar of Slaughter on Scrapjack and how he can go to town against the Druids, pac-maning along before getting sucked back to safety. By the Witch. Oh. So I learn that Avatar of Slaughter is an upkeep and worth casting turn one. So Scrapjack runs over into the forest to try to block lanes to the Witch.

The baying of the Doom Reavers is terrifying as they fall on the enemy. A Druid is slain in an arcing shower of blood, and the horrific aura of the Fell blades causes the Bloodtrackers to break!

Black Ivan takes a potshot, wounding a Ravager. The Uhlans now redeploy away from the Bloodtrackers, as I'm scared of the massive damage they will take. The Widowmakers walk up a bit too close to the Doom Reavers but pass their panic test. (14 mins, too slow!)

T2b Mike sends the Ravagers in on the Doom Reavers, and several are slain, their souls being freed from the torment of the Orgoth as their hearts are ripped from their chests.

A Gallows Grove appears within 5" of the Prowling Witch and Morvahna2 casts Sunder Spirit at her. She boosts needing eights, but misses twice. A lucky escape for the Old one.

The Warpwolf Stalker gets Primal, then ports up and wails on Scrapjack, wrecking it.

The Bloodweavers run to engage the Witch, Gorman and her Drakhun bodyguard.

T3a Old Witch puts Avatar of Slaughter on herself. She kills 2 Blood weavers, boosting to hit. She hits one natural 6, then misses one. She FEATS! Holt aims and shoots at the Blood Weaver engaging the Drakhun. The first shot ricochets of his armour, the second catches the Blood Weaver between her eyes. The Drakhun finishes the last of the jamming Blood Weavers. The last Blood Weaver is too far away on the other side of the forest for me to get any attacks on her.

Gorman scatters Black Oil onto the Stalker. Black Ivan punches it to death rolling FIRE, with a focus to spare.

I had dropped Iron Flesh from the Uhlans to give them charge options, but I'm now feeling that Old Witch is very vulnerable. One charges a Ravager, the others run into the gap as far as they can get in front of her.

The Doom Reavers charge the Ravagers. One dies to a free strike, acceptable losses. Two Ravagers are sliced down. The last member of the unit dodges a Berserk attack...

Rorsh is planning on getting work done, as I pop Diversionary Tactic I realize I have to contest zone instead. He scurries behind the wall, and Rorsh pops up on the hill.

(Oh, a monster turn at 32 mins, I feel very bad about this. Too much time in the tank!)

T3b Morvahna2 has two units with only one model left? It must be time to FEAT! She burns down to a few health and brings back 10 models. As they are placed they do not suffer any ill effects of the Witch's feat. My entire right flank is engaged again.

I forget that Doom Reavers have spell ward when the Overseer casts The Devouring. This turns out to be really good for me; the spell scatters due to the in melee penalty and kills two druids in addition to the target.

The Swamp Gobbers run into the zone to try to block Rorsh and the Widowmakers from doing much.

The Bloodtrackers hunt Brine on the hill. There must have been a prevailing wind or something, most of them miss needing eights, or sixes for those that could aim. Brine only takes five damage, and now he's angry!

T4a Old Witch, gorges on souls and goes soul crazy. She has 11 focus and gives three to Black Ivan. She kills three nearby Bloodtrackers boosting to hit and ends toeing the zone over boosting her power field.

The Drakhun walks away from the field promoted Bloodtracker leader and kills the Gallows Grove. He prepares to defend the avatar of Khador with his life. Gorman Acid bombs the Bloodtracker to death

The lone surviving Doom Reaver kills a Ravager, and Black Ivan and the Uhlans flail ineffectually against the remainder.

The Widowmakers kill the Swamp Gobbers. Rorsh goes on a killing spree, cackling wildly as he hurls dynamite into a clump of Bloodtrackers and shooting another down with his Pig Iron. He keeps a transfers, but will it be enough? Brine walks up and punches the Bloodtrackers, boosting to hit and kills the two he can grab. They pass their massive casualties check.

(This took ages, 24 mins, but I did make a lot of attacks. Needs work!)

T4b It's getting late and we're being asked how long until we finish! I'm in a pretty good position on attrition, so perhaps this has to happen anyway. Assassination turn! A Ravager hits the Drakhun, hitting him but not killing him. The Gorax walks up and finishes the job.

Morvahna2 ports and is just in Reach range of Old Witch. With boosts and rerolls she slays the crone.

I really enjoyed this game. I knew it would be a tough fight and managed to keep my concentration up all game.

I made some good plays, redeploying models to get good matchups and good tempo, keeping an eye on scenario, mostly keeping Witch protected from assassination and managed to stay in the attrition fight.

Some glaring mistakes:
    • putting Old Witch in the zone at the end. She can't contest a domination anyway, and an extra inch of distance could have significantly hampered the assassination.
    • Avatar of Slaughter on turn 1. The only way to keep infantry swarms honest.
    • when to feat... earlier? Later? I forgot to even think about feating on turn 2, so definitely a mistake. I don't have an opinion yet as to whether a different turn would have been better. Mike felt that if I'd feated a turn earlier he would have gone for the assassination.
    • definitely could have tried a power attack with Black Ivan on turn 4. With 3 focus against DEF 15 Ravagers (in the forest) I was looking at two boosted nines to hit that guy. Doing a one handed throw would still have missed in this case, but only required two focus, and would have given me a good chance to knock down two Ravagers for the Uhlans to finish off.
    • assemble the Drakhun dismount. I had one point left. Potentially he could have blocked Morvahna2's teleport landing zone and made the assassination tricky. Alternatively the wardog could be an awesome addition. A warrior runs to engage the Drakhun. The wardog charges and kills it, then returns away from the Drakhun, back to the caster. Rinse, repeat.
    • instead of attritioning with Witch, consider camping. 15/25 is a pretty tough nut to crack.

A really fun game, which I felt like was not a bad matchup for me. Old Witch has so many options, and when she gets to eat a load of infantry... awesome! Need to speed up my play a lot, but hopefully I'll be getting games in more frequently now, and will stick with this list for a while.

1/4

Good Battle Report.

I like to Feat Turn 2 just gives you a better chance to get the Alpha. Murder of Crows also does wonders for her (Prowl).

Don't forget that you get a free upkeep with her, if you take Sylis thats 2 free upkeeps. The Wardog and IF make her almost impossable to hit in Melee.

Hi nolez, I think you are right about turn 2 feat. Encouraging the assassination would have been good for me probably. Circle can place models so don't need to charge, but shutting down special attacks is probably going to help a little. I had Gorman, so didn't need Murder of Crows. Plus that guy has skills! I didn't forget about the free upkeep, just hadn't noticed that Avatar of Slaughter is an upkeep! Thanks for the feedback!

Game 6 - Convergence of Cyriss. I brought the same list as last time, but with the dog also.

Old Witch
    * Scrapjack
    * Black Ivan
    Gorman di Wulfe
    Man O'War Drakhun
    Rorsh
    * Brine
    Lady Aiyana & Master Holt
    Iron Fang Uhlans Min
    Widowmakers
    Doom Reavers
    Doom Reavers

As I normally arrive late at the NWGC, I generally have a wait until I can grab a game. Luckily for me, Toby is already waiting and keen for a game. He's brought Iron Mother's Carrier Group. The paint scheme is very cool on these guys, they look ace. At Tier 4 he gets Advance Deploy Servitors and can launch bonus servitors from the Prime Axiom.

Iron Mother Directrix
    * Prime Axiom
    * Assimilator
    * Assimilator
    * Monitor
    * Corollary
    Elimination Servitors
    Elimination Servitors
    Elimination Servitors
    Optifex Directive

I have played Convergence once before and know to fear drag on the Prime Axiom. Iron Mother's feat makes her battlegroup more accurate for a round.

Only the servitors will care about taking a POW12 from Witch's feat, but the charge and special attack denial could come in handy. I'm planning to grind in with a mass of Doom Reavers, then apply the more manoeuvrable pieces where appropriate.

We rolled for Incursion. Three flags are equally spaced across the middle of the board.

Toby deploys the Prime Axiom just left of centre.

I advance deploy the Doom Reavers centrally. I want to try to keep Old Witch safe in the forest while the Doom Reavers mulch up the robots.

T1a Everything runs up.

T1b Old Witch puts Iron Flesh on the Uhlans, and Avatar of Slaughter on Scrapjack.

Dooooooom! The Doom Reavers run to engage.

I run the Uhlans a little way left so that they can see round the forest. (6 min)

T2a Oh dear, I've not understood how these funny robots play. The Elimination Servitors use Gunfighter to clear out the lead Doom Reavers, then execute another nine quite easily. Multiple attacks are made against the last surviving Doom Reaver but many misses are rolled.

Iron Mother FEATS! The Prime Axiom now only needs eights to hit the woefully exposed Uhlans, blasts one away with the Accelespiker, drags the leader in with the Tow Cable, leaving the other out of formation.

The Assimilator tries to kill Brine, but leaves him with all of his aspects.

T2b The surviving Doom Reaver walks up and kills two Servitors. Vengeance!

Rorsh throws down dynomite causing a diversion, during which Brine creeps to a position where he is lined up with the Monitor and Iron Mother. He then slams the robot over its mistress. The slam distance is not quite enough to pass over her, so she is displaced away from my forces. She takes a few damage. Black Ivan shoots her and causes a good chunk of damage, but I can't get any more attacks on her.

Gorman walks through the forest as far as he can go. He's out of range and the Black Oil scatters away.

The Widowmakers slay three Servitors and an Optifex Directive instead. Pew! Pew!

The Widowmakers score 1 Control Point. (13 min)

T3a Toby's had a bit of a scare! Iron Mother is on about 6 boxes and camps. She advances a little further away and is pretty deep in the back field.

Priority is killing Brine, which he does no problem.

The Prime Axiom kills Gorman, then drags in Black Ivan and punches him a little.

An Assimilator kills the last Doom Reaver and scores 1 control point.

T3b Iron Mother is pretty far away from everything other than Rorsh.

Toby graciously lets Rorsh cut for fury after I've made a couple of other activations. Rorsh walks up and throws Dynomite at Iron Mother. He misses and the blast does nothing, shoots his Pig Iron and misses, buys and hits, rolls 12 for damage leaving Iron Mother on 2 boxes! Pew! Pew! Pew!

The Assimilator on the Widowmakers is pretty far from support. I guess I need to do some attrition work.

Aiyana puts Kiss of Lyliss on the Prime Axiom. The Drakhun and Scrapjack join Black Ivan in punching it. I wipe out one side and take its left arm off. (20 min)

T4a Iron Mother shoots Rorsh dead and he is not Tough. The Assimilator claims the centre flag and the Monitor claims the right flag for two control points.

T4b I need the assassination. I work out a janky assassination that involves running Scrapjack out of combat so he can arc a Gallows at Iron Mother. Then Aiyana can Kiss her and Holt can shoot her. However, Prime Axiom's free strike does exactly enough damage to take out the arc node. It's late and we need to clear out of the NWGC, so with no way to assassinate and limited options for contesting, I concede the scenario loss. (16 Min)

Well, after a punishing second turn I almost had opportunities to get back into it, but Toby played conservatively and got the win. I managed to avoid getting assassinated, perhaps at the expense of getting much work out of the Witch.

I lost because:
    • Doom Reavers die to Elimination Servitors. I didn't realise they can't be jammed. If I played this game again I might try using Witch's feat on turn 1 to try to deliver them on turn 2. If Toby backs off, that gives me great scenario options. Only thing to watch then is the Assimilator's Ground Pounder attack.
    • There was no need to leave the Uhlans in the open. I forgot about Iron Mother's feat, but still, there was no excuse. DEF 16 is not enough, gaining concealment by toeing the forest would have been much better, as they have Relentless Charge.
    • Sending Scrapjack against Prime Axiom was wasteful. POW 12 Talons do nothing against a colossal, even with Kiss of Lyliss. Losing the arc node was sad.
    • Toby pointed out a great play I missed... Weald Secrets on Gorman would have allowed him to walk through the forest and Black Oil the Axiom. That would have been most excellent.

Rorsch and Brine were awesome. Getting the knock-down on Mother was cool, although I was not able to capitalise on it. And Rorsch nearly assassinated Iron Mother himself. Toby was shocked to learn he can make three ranged attacks!

Thanks Toby, it was fun!

1/5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast