Default First game of zombies keep out

It is a brilliant game. I loved it. Just loads of fun played it with one other person but I think it will be better with more people.

Just a great game. Well done PP.

Destroyer of Worlds tutenkharnage's Avatar
    Crawling through the Undercity with the BRI

Yes, it's even better with more people. That said, you can even play it solo and have fun. I have to find time soon to get to a proper review of the Night of the Noxious Dead expansion, but between an upcoming conference and a wedding for which I'm hosting a relative and her daughter for an entire week, I'm a bit tapped out at the moment!

I played a solo game this morning and enjoyed it as well. I have found that the normal setting is a little easy so I adapted the win condition to be have to complete all 5 contraptions. Was fun. I still had 62546 left at the end though (got the contraption that allows you to rebuild barriers remover 2 zombies from the top row, two barriers from the coloumn - the other two didn't come into play).

Retailer Support and Development PPS_Agel's Avatar

There are official difficulty settings in the base rules.

There are also four variants in NQ#54. I love the "Extreme Zombies" variant, which adjusts each zombie's behavior by type (Leapers leap when they shamble, Runners shamble after each Terrible Thing, Brutes smash harder, and Creepers creep toward the cellar and away from the back row).

After my initial idea that this game was easy I have found that not to be the case. I have lost a solo game and a aired game today. The paired game was the lost on the last turn. I had the last part to complete the third contraption but my partner had three bites went to draw a new card and we lost 3 barriers at once and we lost. I am literally in love with this game.

Two coworkers and I played the game with the expansion last week. We played in Challenge Mode, so we had only 6 barricades on the cellar and the balcony, 4 on each window, and 8 on the door. We lost the first game when we were one part away from winning; we lost the second with four parts to go. In both cases, we were suddenly swarmed and annihilated, but we had a blast.

Well it appears I have been playing the game wrong. I have been playing shoving at '3 or more zombie' and not just 'more than 3 zombies'. This should make it slightly easier. Going to try and pick up the expansion and NQ 45. Can't wait to play this with the kids at my school club.

If you're looking for the zombie variants, make sure you grab NQ 54, not NQ 45.

Yeh thank you tutenkharnage. I have a copy on the way now.

You're welcome! So far, I've used only the Extreme Zombies variant and the Hordes variant, even in combination. The Mutated Strain variant, which forces all players to hold up one, two, or three fingers before drawing each Terrible Things card, doesn't appeal to me quite as much, but only because it removes half the element of player choice in the game—essentially, it reduces each player's choices to selecting actions. That said, it makes the zombies' behavior almost random, not accounting for veterans' familiarity with the TT deck, and that's somewhat appealing, as it forces the players to react to the zombies rather than dictate where the zombies go and how they behave. In that sense, it's much closer to how I'd expect a "real life" zombie scenario to play out. (I can't believe I just typed that.) But it removes that "Oh, crap, that's no good . . . that's no good either . . . argh, that's even worse!" factor that the game brings when each player is free to select one of the three options. I'm sure I'll get to it some day, though.

The fourth variant, "Be Prepared," provides rules for completing one contraption before the game begins, although the players still need to build three more contraptions to win the game. One of my coworkers was quite interested in playing with this variant, so I think we'll do that when we get back to playing ZKO. (I introduced my office-mates to HORDES High Command this week, and their reaction was quite positive, so I imagine we'll be playing that for at least a couple of weeks.)

Be prepared may be a good one for children at school to play. Give them a but of help from the off.

It sounds like you work is in the coolest place ever.

Quote Originally Posted by sebbo6 View Post
    Be prepared may be a good one for children at school to play. Give them a but of help from the off.

It sounds like you work is in the coolest place ever.
    "Be Prepared" opens up the number of actions available at the start of the game. It's a cooperative feature--players will have to examine the contraptions, look at their cards, and come to a consensus. Depending on the ages of the players and their familiarity with the game's mechanics, you might have to guide them a bit, or at least explain the pros and cons.

Regarding my place of employment, it has it's advantages. One of them is that I work with a programmer I've known since high school (nearly thirty years now). He and I have played a lot of AD&D, Blood Bowl, and card games over the years. A recently hired programmer is an old WoW player who likes these types of games, and the fourth member of our quartet is a data analyst who loves card games and is always looking for good games to play with her nieces and nephews. Scheduling can be a bit rough. We've not yet played a four-player game, but two players are almost always available.

I find that as soon as you get 2 bites in Solo play you have lost..

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardQ View Post
    I find that as soon as you get 2 bites in Solo play you have lost..
    Well, yes; that's one of the drawbacks of solo play. This factor is stronger/worse if you're playing with the promotional Terrible Things card that forces you to take a bite token no matter what option you choose—if you use that card, you must win the game before you cycle through the deck twice, which is almost impossible.

Solo play gives you one free pass per game: if your other two options are bad, you can always choose to take a bite token, which is an option in 25% of the cards, as I recall. But there's a drawback—do it once, and you won't be able to do it again for the rest of the game. As a result, any contraption that allows you to remove bite tokens is a powerful one indeed! The same applies to the ZKO card that allows you to remove a bite token.