Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

That swamp horror sure did a lot of work, and if you like gatormens ability to crack armor....Rask springs to mind to up it.

this game shows very well why scenarios is a must, killbox at the very least
    Impressively average

Ok, just read through all your battle reports, and really enjoyed them! Always nice to see another person joining the scaly ranks of Gators, too.

You've probably heard it all before, but Barnabas really makes any kind of ranged list cry hard. If you can, try putting a swamp pit down behind an enemy 'jack, then slam or throw it into the shallow water (even the humble Bull Snapper can slam). Like Mama always said, if you can't beam 'em, soak their stupid boilers in swamp water!
    The Bull Snapper is shaking his booty. This cannot be unseen.

Welcome my son...

Battle 6: Colossal Smackdown
    Borka2 and Kreoss3 vs Strakhov and Sloan

Since we’re coming to the end of the year, we decided to do a big, fun game. A four-player battle was the starting point, but then we realised that we could each bring a colossal, and well… the rest of the story writes itself.

In the blue corner, weighing in at a combined one hundred and fifty tonnes, we have a Mountain King and a Judicator. Aaaaaaaaaand in the red corner, tipping the scales at one hundred and sixty tonnes, we have a Stormwall and a Conquest. This tag-team fight is scheduled for one-fall. Who will win? Let’s find out. Fight!

Team Protectorate of the Rimeshaws

Intercessor Kreoss
    -Fire of Salvation
    -Judicator

Exemplar Cinerators (Leader and 4 Grunts)
    Exemplar Vengers (Leader and 4 Grunts)
    Choir (Leader and 3 Grunts)
    High Exemplar Gravus
    Vassal of Menoth

Borka, Vengeance of the Rimeshaws
    -Mountain King
    -Rok

Kriel Warriors (Leader and 9 Grunts) with Standard, Piper and 2 Caber Tossers
    Long Riders (Leader and 2 Grunts)
    Krielstone (Leader and 3 Grunts) with Stone Script Elder
    Fell Caller
    Chronicler

(Chris) Well, knowing that I’ll be facing off against Cygnar, I went for an army with high SPD and ARM. My two main units are the Cinerators and Vengers, who gain movement and armour buffs when shot at. On top of that, the Fire gains movement when allies die. I don’t particularly plan to aim with the Judicator – his target will be saturation bombing or hitting a very low DEF colossal.

(Ashley) Cavalry casters to the max! (Really wish I had Horthol) This list moves fast and hits hard. This is supposed to be a fun list with the theme of brining the Mountain King, but we’ll run over and whack them over the head!

(Note the colossal brofist)

Team Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

Forward Kommander Strakhov
    -Conquest
    -Torch
    -Beast of Nine
    -Spriggan
    - War Dog (Attachment)

Battle Mechanics (Leader and 5 grunts) with Officer

Captain Kara Sloan
    -Stormwall
    -Defender
    -Squire (Attachment)

Journeyman Warcaster
    -Sentinel

Long Gunner Infantry (Leader and 9 grunts)
    Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team
    3 Stormsmith Stormcallers
    Arlan Strangewayes

(Martin) I’m a relative newbie to this game, but I just got my Cygnar together. As per the instructions, I’ve included a Stormwall in this force, which at least makes my options a lot simpler. Then I just put in a lot of shooting. That’s how Cygnar functions, right?

(Orlando) Khador is the subject of brutal simplicity. A wall of ARM20 backed up by a unit to repair any damage they might take.

(Sorry for the poor quality of this shot. It’s two deployment pictures added together.)

Mission

Well, as one might imagine, we’ve gone for a simplistic caster kill mission. If one caster dies, then his warjacks go inert, but his infantry keep fighting. An allied warcaster cannot activate jacks of a different faction to his own.

Importantly, we decide on a play order of Menoth -> Trollblood -> Khador -> Cygnar.

Deployment

I really don’t want to have to describe this mess, but there is a photo and importantly, the game is essentially Cygnar vs Menoth and Trollblood vs Khador. I think in the entire game, only two shots go elsewhere.

Turn 1

Throughout turn one, three factions advance at their fastest possible pace while Cygnar hangs back. Kreoss throws holy ward onto the Vengers as the choir sings to protect the jacks from shooting. The Trollbloods rile to fill Borka’s five fury and throw up combat warding and overcome onto the Kriel Warriors.

Kara and her journeyman place some upkeeps, shielding the gunners. The Stormwall dumps down a Lightning Pod.

Last edited by Kurisu313; 11-30-2014 at 12:58 PM.

Menoth/Trollblood Turn 2

Kreoss upkeeps his Holy Ward and puts focus into the jacks to get them moving.

The Vengers surge ahead of the main line, protected by the holy ward. Everyone else follows after them, the choir continuing to protect the jacks. The only combat action is the Judicator, fragging the lightning pod easily, even with its abysmal RAT.

Borka leeches his fury back to full and upkeeps battle-forged. He places immunity:cold onto the Kriel Warriors and calls his feat.

Getting buffs from the Chronicler and Fell Caller, the Kriel Warriors run, right into the teeth of the Khador jacks, locking them in place. His warbeast move up to get stuck in next turn.

Khador/Cygnar Turn 2

Strakhov places some focus into the Conquest and one each into the other jacks, casting Sentry on the Conquest.

The Conquest fires at point blank range, blowing a gaping hole into the Kriel Warriors. Torch, using virtuoso, adds in with its flamethrower, and a full six of the trollkin are killed, opening a hole in the formation. Beast of Nine and the Spriggan charge through the hole into Rok. Each can only get one hit before becoming stationary due to Borka’s feat but cut through about half of Rok’s boxes.

Kara calls her feat, and the Cygnar army opens fire on the Vengers. Despite their DEF buff, Kara’s feat cuts through it like it wasn’t there. After more shots than I dare remember, the knights are obliterated to a man. Another lightning pod descends.

Menoth/Trollblood Turn 3

Kreoss fills the Judicator up and give one focus to the Fire.

The choir switch to a hymn of battle as the Judicator moves up, its rocket pods taking aim at the distant warcaster. As this happens, the Conquest triggers sentry and shoots the Judicator for minimal damage. Continuing with its attack, the Judicator turns out to be a little too distant, but with a scatter and boosting the damage, Kara takes damage. Now with a ranging shot, the Judicator switches to the Sentinel, scattering behind it and hitting a number of solos. The Squire is damaged, Strangewayes is killed, and Kara takes more damage. The Cygnar caster has lost about two thirds of her boxes. The Vassal forces a third shot, but it scatters uselessly.

The Fire of Salvation charges up and knocks the lightning pod out of the park. The rest of the Menoth army advances.

Taking back the fury, Borka and Rok gang up on the Beast of Nine. It takes pretty much all of their ability to do it, but the tough Khador jack finally breaks apart under the incessant pounding.

With stone strength in effect, along with warcry, the remaining Kriel Warriors pound on Torch, to a medium level of damage. Then the ground trembles as the Mountain King roars and surges up to engage the Conquest. In a frenzy, the colossal’s entire right side is trashed, and more boxes are struck from the left.

The Long Riders continue their long trek around the right flank.

Khador/Cygnar Turn 3

There is a frenzy of activity from the battle mechanics as they go to work on the Conquest and Torch, repairing damaged systems. Stepping back, Strakhov takes aim at the Long Riders and knocks one from the saddle in a terrific shot.

The Conquest squares up to the Mountain King and smashes it again and again, pulverising its spirit. Torch kills three more of the Kriel Warriors. The Spriggan breaks Rok’s spirit and body.

With their feat spent, the Cygnar shooting settles down to sane levels, and only two Cinerators are felled. Kara retreats behind her Stormwall after receiving so much damage last turn. The Stormwall turns to face the damaged Mountain King, and breaks its mind with its main cannon, before laying covering fire in front of the Menoth line, along with a third lightning pod.

Last edited by Kurisu313; 11-30-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Menoth/Trollblood Turn 4

Kreoss again fills up the Judicator and gets the Fire moving.

The Judicator starts poorly, as it targets the Long Gunners, scattering like a madman, but three of the riflemen do fall. As the Vassal triggers an extra attack, I decide to spend the focus targeting the Sentinel. Landing a direct hit with a boosted attack, the rocket smashes the shield and scours the Journeyman hiding behind it – but not killing it.

The Fire knocks another lightning pod out of the park – it’d be great at golf. The Cinerators pile around a Stormsmith. I mean their POW is higher than the Stormsmith’s ARM and they had a 4D6 attack. It wasn’t pretty.

At this point, my centre is quite open, so Kreoss has Gravus ride forward as cover to hide behind and places holy ward on himself. With three focus remaining, he is DEF16, ARM20, so can hopefully weather a turn of shooting.

The Tuffalo charge into the Battle Mechanice, cutting through two of them. The war hound performs a counter-charge, taking a chunk out of one Tuffalo.

Borka and Rok wreck the Spriggan.

The Mountain King eats the whelps he spawned last turn, voiding his fury and healing a few points of damage. This repairs his mind and spirit. It then lays into the Conquest with attack after attack. Finally, the might Khador colossal falls before the power of the troll gargantuan.

Khador/Cygnar Turn 4

It’s not looking great for the forces of Khador. Strakhov runs away from the Mountain King, shooting down another Tuffalo. Torch manages to kill all the remaining Kriel Warriors.

With time coming down on us, the forces of Cygnar decide that it’s best to go for broke. The Black 13th work to kill Gravus’ first form, de-horsing him. The Long Gunners then gather a 14 shot combined attack on Kreoss, knocking ten boxes off the tough warcaster.

The Stormwall then shoots at Kreoss, blasting more boxes from him with its main cannon. But its Metal Storm is unable to breach the heavy armour. A pod drops behind Kreoss and the Stormwall razes the line with lightning, but Kreoss withstands this too. The Defender misses, the Sentinel cannot beat his armour and the Stormsmith cannot beat it either.

All told, Kreoss has two hit points remaining after taking everything that the Cygnar army could throw at him.

At this point, time is pressing and we have to end the game.

Results

DRAW

All of our casters are still alive, but it’s not looking good for Khador/Cygnar. Another turn would have seen the Khador reduced to the Warcaster by himself, and the Judicator was now capable of walking around the Stormwall and shooting Kara again, likely killing her. But, a draw is a draw.

Ending Thoughts

From my point of view, I thought that was rather fun, and nice game to get in towards the year end. It certainly looked awesome with the four big guys stomping around the place.

In the end, I never really got to fight! The only thing the Fire did was keep knocking down lightning pods, and Kreoss never got to engage at all. Still, the Judicator was able to show the boys in blue a thing or two about shooting. A good lesson in High DEF/low ARM casters being vulnerable to blasts.

I got the Vengers killed, mostly because I was ignorant of Kara’s feat. I won’t let that happen again.

I know our Khador player got frustrated by Borka’s feat turn, shutting him down completely. It was a nasty move shoving the Kriel Warriors in, but effective. In my opinion, he should have walked backwards, letting the mechanics heal any free strike damage. Then the Khador jacks could have presented a unified front rather than splitting up.

Next week, I’ll be playing the Cygnar player again, so I’ll have to decide whether to use Menoth, Circle or the Gators. Hmm…

Quite the stomp!
    looked like a fun game I think the sides would have been better served by mingling a bit more but this made it easier of course. Funny khador list, iron fist indeed (the name of strakhovs feat iirc)

a small thing, sounded like you boosted on the ancilliary attack? Can't do that, only boosting during activation.
    Impressively average

Ash here!
    Nice to see this game (and the others) up, and written to Chris' usual high standard
    My one regret this game was not having enough time. I really wanted a crack at the Cygnar lot! Also taking some pride in being the only man to bring down a colossal this game, and with a Mountain King no less.
    Only thing I'd have done differently would have been to put the long riders on the other flank. They would have had a quicker route to the Khador caster, and would have put more pressure on the Cygnar player's caster.
    Still, very fun game, and look forward to playing more like it!

Great write-ups, I really enjoy them!

Colossal showdown? Man that's cool. Also great to see the little-loved ones on the table. All of it painted too (kudos!). A mighty battle indeed!
    http://privateerpressforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic116488_1.gif

Seven Sins: Ah, that was a formatting error on my part, and I edited it to be clearer. The Judicator boosted to hurt Kara. Originally, the sentence flowed, but I remembered to add in a sentence about the Conquests reactionary shot, and didn't change the sentence so it looked confusing.

Vampiric16: Yeah, this guy is Ashley of Trollblood fame. We hates him, we does.

Bennep: I have frequently read that the Mountain King is the worst colossal/gargantuan, and is useless. Always seems to be a pain in my ***. This was my first time seeing the Stormwall and it was... alright. Certainly has potential, but I think the Judicator's template barrage is more frightening. And the Conquest is just a huge Khador jack, really.

Battle 7: Vindictus vs Stryker2

“My Lord,” Tristan Durant said humbly, bowing in deference. Vindictus looked up from his maps to examine his trainee.

“What is it, Initiate Durant?” He asked curtly, annoyed at being interrupted.

“I have performed the ritual of binding with my Warjack. However, I am sensing some resistance from the higher functions of the cortex. Might you aid me in understanding how to soothe the machine’s spirit?”

“Soothe?” Vindictus said the word as if speaking to the biggest idiot he had ever encountered. “One does not make friends with a Warjack, you dominate it with your will!” He clenched a fist to underline his point.

Tristan shook his head slightly. “But recently, I was reading of the High Exemplar’s bond with the Fire of Salvation. He described it in the same manner as an old friend that fought beside him loyally.”

“It is the folly of man to give agency to things. Do not let such foolishness taint your thoughts, Initiate. There is only Menoth’s will, as it flows through us and is delivered through our warjacks. Anything else is unbecoming of a man of the faith. I will hear no more of this.”

“Yes, Vice Scrutator.” Vindictus wondered if he heard an emphasis on the ‘vice’ part of his title, but chose to ignore it, returning to his maps as Durant withdrew. They contained a detailed layout of a nearby Cygnar outpost. Speaking of forcing one’s will on another, Vindictus would bring the holy word of Menoth to these heretics, and like it or not, they would go to meet their maker. One way or the other.

“Sir! I am to inform you that there are religious proselytizers at the door!” The Stormguard huffed as he had just run as fast as he could to inform his leader.

“Ugh, bloody Jehovah’s Witnesses,” Stryker groaned, rubbing his head.

“No sir, the other ones.”

“Mormons?”

“No… the ones with plate armour and blazing swords.”

“Ah. Okay, get my gun.”

The Protectorate of Menoth

Vice Scrutator Vindictus
    -Vanquisher
    -Vigilant

Initiate Tristan Durant
    -Reckoner

Knights Errant (Leader and 9 grunts) with Officer and Standard
    Knights Exemplar (Leader and 5 grunts)
    Temple Flameguard (Leader and 9 grunts) with Officer and Standard
    Holy Zealots (Leader and 9 grunts) with Monolith Bearer
    Choir (Leader and 3 grunts)

This list mainly comes from the desire to try and write an infantry heavy list along with a desire to use my new Journeyman Warcaster who visually fits with Vindictus, who is not a jack caster. Also, I haven’t used my Zealots in like… forever.

Vindictus will be putting half of his focus into keeping his army moving, and another two into defending a unit. Tristan will be useful in taking the focus load for him. I’m then gonna chuck forty bodies into the hail of Cygnar firepower and hope that something gets through!

Cygnar

Lord Commander Stryker
    -Ol’ Rowdy
    -Lancer
    -Squire (Attachment)

Journeyman Warcaster
    -Defender

Stormguard (Leader and 9 Grunts)
    Storm Blades (Leader and 5 Grunts) with Officer and Standard and 3 Storm Gunners
    Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team
    3 Stormsmith Stormcallers
    Arlan Strangewayes

Mission

We roll mission 3, Balance of Power. This puts a rectangular zone in the dead centre of the board, which can be controlled for 1 point, or dominated for 2. It also puts a faction flag on each side worth 1 or 2 points to the enemy, or can be dominated to reduce the enemies’ victory points.

Deployment

I deploy first, putting my Flameguard in the dead centre, flanked by Tristan and his Reckoner on the left, and Vindictus’ ‘Jacks on the right, along with the Choir. The Zealots take the far, far right, and the Knights Exemplar the left.

Martin puts Stryker in the centre with Ol’ Rowdy and the Squire, protected by the Stormblades. The Stormguard take the right flank with the 13th Blacks, and the Defender takes the left with his entourage. There is one Stormsmith on each flank and one in the centre.

The Errants then advance deploy towards the enemy flag and the Stormblades advance move towards the zone.

Turn 1

Vindictus and Tristan put a focus into their ‘Jacks so that they can run, which they all do. Vindictus calls the true path and his force surges forward. Zealots occupy a forest as Flameguard head for the zone, the Knights moving into the centre.

Tristan fortifies the Reckoner and the Errants slow down to form a unified force with the main battle line.

Cygnar advances more cautiously. The Journeyman places Arcane Shield on the Stormblades, and Stryker puts Deflection on both them and the Stormguard.

Victory Points – Menoth 0, Cygnar 0

Menoth Turn 2

One focus per ‘Jack to get moving, except the Vigilant. Tristan upkeeps Fortify, as he will for the remainder of the game.

The Vigilant and Vanquisher run ahead of the flag. Vindictus moves behind the Vigilant, touching both it and the flag, and then casts defensive ward on the Flamguard, bolstering their defences. He finally calls the True path.

With the extra speed, the Flamguard can reach the zone without running, allowing them to form a Shield Wall. On top of that, they call Iron Zeal, forming a DEF15, ARM23 wall of armour. Similarly, the Zealots run into a clearing calling their divine protection to become invincible for a turn.

The Errants move up alongside the Flameguard and take aim at the distant Stormblades, completely ignoring the two defensive spells on them. They cut down three of the Cygnar infantry with their crossbow bolts.

The Knights move up behind the Flameguard and the Choir call passage on Vindictus’ ‘Jacks. Tristan stands behind the Reckoner, where it’s (relatively) safe.

Victory Points – Menoth 0, Cygnar 0

Cygnar Turn 2

Faced with some incredibly hard targets, the Cygnar army holds back, letting the Menoth have the zone for now. One Stormsmith snipes an Errant, and the Defender shoots the Reckoner for eight boxes.

Stryker casts lighning storm through the Lancer, killing an Errant and leaving a template on five more. (Yes the Errants were immune to magic – my bad) He also rebukes the Flameguard, making them unable to receive orders.

Still, one point goes to Menoth for holding the zone.

Victory Points – Menoth 1, Cygnar 0

Menoth Turn 3

Vindictus hoards his focus for the moment. He lets the Vigilant move forward first and then stands next to it. Taking aim at the Stormguard, Vindictus casts rift, but it scatters catching the Stormblades and a few Stormguard. This kills two Stormblades. He maintains defender’s ward on the Flamguard.

The Zealots begin to lob grenades (as all religious fanatics should!) into the Stormguard. Even with their blessing, their rat means most scatter, but they still gut the Stormguard with the Vanquisher’s help. The Flameguard move to defend the zone, spreading out since they can’t use shield wall. The Knights continue to advance in their wake.

Returning the favour, the Reckoner shoots the Defender, causing almost identical damage (both Jacks had lost columns 1 and 6). The Errants charge the Defender, but I’d misjudged the distance and only two reach. Still, with 4D6 they damage it, breaking its hammer.

Victory Points – Menoth 3, Cygnar 0

Cygnar Turn 3

Stryker puts focus into Ol’ Rowdy and the Lancer, and the Journeyman supplies the Defender. Stryker also places positive charge on the two heavies. Strangewayes repairs the Defender’s broken arm, and it kills three Errants for the damage it took. Ol’ Rowdy smashes another two.

The Lancer and Stormblades assault the Flameguard, but even without orders, the unit has DEF17 from defensive ward and set defence. Only three of them fall thanks to combined attacks.

The Black 13th move through the forest and Ryan uses mage storm, killing a full six of the Zealots. The Stormguard charge in and completely finish off the holy madmen.

Stryker tags the flag, reducing my score by one.

Victory Points – Menoth 2, Cygnar 0

Menoth Turn 4

Vindictus and Tristan upkeep their spells and then hand out their focus liberally. This is a warjack turn. A hymn of battle is placed on all three jacks.

The Vigilant charges into the Stormguard, crushing one man in each mechanical fist. The Vigilant moves to plug the gap between the light jack and the Flameguard. Vindictus now is pretty safe behind it.

The Flameguard advance into the Stormblades, locking their shields as they set their shield wall back up. Both units are buffed defensively, so they struggle to hit each other. One Stormblade dies, and the officer is set on fire.

The Reckoner charges into the Lancer, missing with its assault shot despite the hymn of battle. It’s fully aware that three hits will see its own cortex wrecked. But, the dice are with the Reckoner, and it wrecks the light jack with two solid swings. (In five damage dice, there were four sixes)

The Errants press their attack, grievously damaging the Defender. Still, another turn sees another point leeched from my score.

Cygnar Turn 4

Stryker kills an Errant in melee, and places Positive Charge on both heavy jacks again, before calling his feat. The Journeyman and Defender work together to bring down the remaining Errants. This frees Ol’ Rowdy to charge into the Reckoner, who hadn’t reckoned (heh) on the Cygnar jack wrecking it with ease.

Moving around the other flank, the Black 13th snipe three of the Choir. Between them, the Stormblades and Stormguard kill three Flameguard and plink the Vanquisher. The Stormsmiths draw a line over the Vigilant, but the tough jack shrugs it off.

Then Stryker’s feat kicks in. Ol’ Rowdy strides over the wreck of the Reckoner to swat Tristan like an ant. Two more Flameguard die, and some other units reposition. At least Stryker has left the flag, so I get to keep my point.

Menoth Turn 5

Vindictus puts one focus into each Jack, but otherwise holds his focus for himself.

The Vanquisher tramples, crushing two Stormguard underneath its bulk before stepping on a Stormsmith. It takes minor damage in the process. The Vigilant runs away from the last Stormguard. The free strike rolled a double 1, missing the juicy rear target. This allows the Vigilant to move into the Black 13th’s face.

Vindictus moves up to help the Flamguard, killing two Stormguard personally before placing Defender’s Ward on himself. He calls his feat. The last Choir runs to stand next to him like a human shield.

The Knights charge into Ol’ Rowdy, dealing significant damage – most importantly breaking his hammer.

Cygnar Turn 5

The last Stormblade charges into the Vanquisher’s rear arc, but cannot hurt it. Then the Defender storms into the front, driving its hammer into it, again and again, damaging its flamethrower and legs. Strangewayes manages to fail his repair roll on it.

Stryker places positive charge on Ol’Rowdy and then decides to shoot the Vanquisher. Even in combat, it’s only DEF11. How hard is that to hit? Stryker misses and hits the Defender for five damage. It was hilarious. His second shot hits, but fails to penetrate.

Despite a broken hammer, Ol’ Rowdy has five attacks and kills all five Knights fighting him. This does cause him to suffer five damage from Vindictus’ feat. The last falls to a Stormblade. At point blank range, the Black 13th shoot the Vigilant, somehow managing to damage it on a double six.

Menoth Turn 6

Vindictus is seriously running out of safe places to stand, so he hogs his focus. The Choir buffs the Vanquisher, who turns to catch the Defender and Stormguard in his thresher, killing both.

Despite all the odds, the Vigilant hits Lynch and kills him on the spot. You go, Vigilant!

Vindictus pulls back and drops a rift on the Journeyman Caster, Squire and Stryker. It only hurts the Journeyman, but it leaves a rough terrain marker on them.

Cygnar Turn 6

Strangewayes moves to give a focus to Ol’ Rowdy. The Venerable ‘jack charges Vindictus, but the wild swings cannot land a blow over his DEF17.

Stryker uses velocity to move out of the rift and charge Vindictus. At this point, he calls overload, rolling three dice. He rolls an extra 10 strength, but suffers 12 damage! If Vindictus can just hold on, it’s an easy win.

Still, with only enough focus for two attacks with boosted attack rolls, he lands both and slays Vindictus.

Results

Cygnar Win!

Ending Thoughts

I FORGOT MY FEAT, OKAY!? I mean, this is a perennial problem for me. I do it all the effing time. At the start of every turn I plan to use my feat, but always forget it by the time I move my caster. I know. Send all your hatemail to someone else. I’m gonna tattoo ‘FEAT’ on the back of my hands.

Overall, it was a really fun game. It’s so easy to see so many places where things could have turned on a dime. If only I had positioned the knights better. If only I knew what the Black 13th did, I could have saved a lot of Zealots! If Stryker had just missed…

Oh well, I had fun, and isn’t that what really matters? *cries in a corner*

“Any last words?” Stryker asked, as he pointed his sword down at Vindictus’ bloodied form, pushing the point against his throat. “And I swear, if you ask me about your lord and saviour, I’ll drive this through your neck!”

“Fine. Would you at least consider buying some cookies? It all goes to support the Daughters of the Flame’s scout troop.”

Stryker shrugged. “Well, ‘tis the season. Put me down for a box of thin mints.”
    Last edited by Kurisu313; 12-07-2014 at 11:29 AM.

Great report, and hilarious pro- and epilog!
    Impressively average

Battle 8: Barnabas vs Borka2

”We need passage through this swamp,” Horthol bellowed over the bayou. The swamp appeared still, but he knew better than that. A gaggle of Bog Trogs aimed their spears at him from nearby cover. He watched the water break as mottled orange bodies slid through it.

On the bank, they drew themselves up, a parody of human form. Their leader was an albino – or possibly just ancient and weathered – clad in blue rags made filthy by the swamp. The troll’s eyes widened as he realised the rags were blue because they were troll skin.

“M-my master req-demands passage through this swamp,” Horthol reiterated as boldly as he could. The albino’s head was covered in a cowl, making the reptilian’s normally inscrutable expression even harder to read. If things went south here, he doubted he’d be getting out alive.

“And pray tell… who is your master?” The gatorman warlock inquired, his voice dry and heavy.

“Surely, you have heard tale of the mighty Borka, Vengeance of the Rimeshaws?”

Barnabas cocked his head in a gesture of amusement. “I have… the tale ended with a Tharn’s axe, I believe.”

“Your information is wrong,” Horthol snarled, anger making him forget his fear. “My master is stronger than ever before. He is the strength of our race.”

“Mighty indeed?” Barnabas said in a tone that implied humour. “Then tell your master this, troll. God himself awaits him in this swamp. He may try and pass if he wishes, but he will find no friends here. I will personally take his ‘mighty’ head as a stepping stone on my passage to godhood.”

“You have made a mistake this day,” the troll threatened. Barnabas turned briefly to look back over his shoulder.

“God does not make mistakes.”

Borka chuckled as Horthol relayed the information of his meeting to him.

“I like you, Barnabas. We are not so very different, you and I.” He dismissed Horthol and stood. Arctos rumbled as his master clearly seemed restless. Borka turned to his address his men, raising Trauma above his head. “Someone stands in our way! What do we say to that!?”

The returning shout was deafening.

Blindwater Congregation

Bloody Barnabas
    -Blackhide Wrastler
    -Swamp Horror
    -Ironback Spitter
    -Bull Snapper

Gatormen Posse (Leader and 4 grunts)
    Gatormen Posse (Leader and 4 grunts)
    Bog Trog Ambushers (Leader and 9 grunts)
    Witch Doctor
    Croak Hunter

Once again, this is Barnabas’ tier 4 list. I don’t think the swamp pits will be so useful today, since I’m expecting a melee list over a gunnery list, but hey, I might get lucky and end up against Gunnbjorn or Grim. Still, the ability to shut down charge lanes against non-pathfinder foes is not to be underestimated, particularly since I’m expecting a Tuffalo horde.

The basic gist of the list is to form a tight, hard-as-nails ball and ram into the opponent with all the subtlety of a Dire Troll. All the while, the Croak Hunter will be on the lookout for a nice, juicy target to harpoon.

Trollbloods

-Rok
    -Winter Troll
    -Pyre Troll

Long Riders (Leader and 4 grunts)
    Kriel Warriors (Leader and 9 grunts) with Piper and Standard and 2 Caber Tossers
    Krielstone (Leader and 3 grunts) with Stone Scribe Elder
    Scouts (Leader and 5 grunts)
    Fell Caller
    Horthol, Long Rider Champion
    Skinner

This is Borka2’s tier 3. It revolves around a solid core of Kriel Warriors and Beasts, with some fast and hard-hitting cavalry.

If the skinner does well, I’m gonna green stuff a crocodile pelt on him.

I’m sorry but we didn’t remember to take an army pic!

Mission

As usual, we’re playing a 50pts Steamroller mission. We roll on the chart and get… scenario 12: Fire Support. This puts two neutral flags along the midline (capture 1, dominate 2) and a friendly objective for each of us.

Deployment

I win the roll (even forgetting my tier benefit) and make Ashley go first. He deploys some snow drifts on his side of the board, and I put a swamp in the middle of my side.

Ashley uses the Kriel Warriors as the core of his force, flanked by the Warbeasts and Borka. The left flank is held by Horthol, and the right by the Tuffalo.

I put all my heavy warbeasts in the centre, with my Posses on either side. The Snapper, Barnabas and the Witchdoctor are behind to support.

The Skinner deploys near the forest in the middle, and the scouts deploy on the left. The Croak Hunter deploys on the right, behind a forest.

Turn 1

Due to his tier, Borka starts the game with Battle Driven, and the Kriel Warriors start with snow shroud.

Borka places five fury into the Krielstone, and the whole army runs forward, the warbeasts riling to fill up Borka’s supply of fury. The Fell Caller grants pathfinder to the Tuffalo as they plough through a forest.

As the beasts run forward, Barnabas casts two swamp pits for the Posses to hide in. On top of this, he puts spiny growth on the Wrastler. The Snapper also puts spiny growth on the Horror. Both Posses gain dirge of mists (+1DEF) and hide in the pits. The Witch Doctor grants tough to a Posse.

Victory Points – Trollblood 0, Blindwater 0
    Last edited by Kurisu313; 12-14-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Trollblood Turn 2

Borka leeches back to a full five fury. He upkeeps both of his spells.

The Fell Caller places pathfinder on the Kriel Warriors, who pray for extra movement and run into the teeth of the Gator army. The Skinner advances behind them. The Scouts throw axes at my objective, but every single one is repelled.

Borka casts frost hammer, but misses. He places his last fury into the Krielstone, who are using their ability to weed out stealthed units. Finally, Borka calls his feat, a hail of snow shrouding his army. Rok moves up beside him, spraying the objective for three damage. The Winter Troll riles to bring the fury count up.

Horthol and the Tuffalo ride down the flanks.

Blindwater Congregation Turn 2

Barnabas calls back six fury from his beasts as his swamps evaporate. The Bog Trog Ambushers appear on the left flank behind Horthol.

With Borka’s feat in play, hitting his Kriel Warriors or beasts would make my units stationary, so I don’t fight this turn. The Spitter manages to single out the banner bearer and spits on him, melting him away despite not getting a full-on hit. The Wrastler and Horror push into the Kriel Warriors but don’t strike them.

Barnabas places Iron Flesh on the left-hand Posse and a swamp pit on the right. He also throws spiny growth on the Wrastler again. The Snapper supports the Horror with his animus too. Then the Witch Doctor puts tough on the same Posse who have Iron Flesh. This is important, because they use Pathfinder to rush up to the contest the flag. This triggers a counter-charge by Rok, but he misses the DEF15.

Horthol finds himself dragged down from his buffalo by a horde of Bog Trogs, who do a single combined strike with ten of them! Now on foot, he turns to face them with bloody vengeance on his face.

The Long Riders are charged by the other Posse (misjudging their bloodlust movement boost). No Tuffalo dies, but one is knocked down by a tough roll, and two more are hurt.

The Croak Hunter moves to shoot the Fell Caller, but was counter-charged by the Winter Troll, who thankfully misses. The Hunter doesn’t retaliate, for fear of becoming stationary.

Trollblood Turn 3

Borka takes his five fury back and upkeeps battle-driven.

Now engaged, Rok smashes one Gatorman into the dirt, despite iron flesh and tough. The scouts charge in to help, but only one does any real damage, dealing six to a Gatorman. Horthol’s hammer swings, smashing a Bog Trog. It’s like he’s playing croquet. Get it? Croak-uet? (This was Ashley’s pun, not mine.) The Winter Troll also squishes the Croak Hunter.

Borka places the Pyre Troll’s animus on the Skinner and then throws a bomb at the Spitter, for no damage. The Pyre Troll picks the same target, dealing no damage, but catching the turtle, Witch Doctor and Barnabas on fire.

The Kriel Warriors pile onto the two Heavy Warbeasts, but the Wrastler only suffers a single box of damage. The Horror holds out, but the last blow deals a reasonable eight to him. He’s then charged by the Skinner, who slices off another ten boxes, breaking the octopus’ spirit.

The Fell Caller buffs the Tuffalo and charges in to help, killing a Gatorman. Spreading out to fight and calling a slam, they kill another gatorman as well as badly hurting two more.

Blindwater Congregation Turn 3

Barnabas leeches back to full and upkeeps Iron Flesh. He also spends one to heal the spirit on the Horror. None of the fires go out, and both Barnabas and the Witch Doctor suffer damage.

The gatorman warlock runs over to the left, casting Warpath on himself. He then calls his feat, a wave of black water knocking over almost all of the trolls, except the ones on the very far left.

With the Trolls vulnerable, the feast begins. The Wrastler kills all five of the Kriel Warriors near him, triggering warpath multiple times. The Spitter moves back to get a charge, the Snapper pushes into the forest and the movement allowed the Wrastler to get the fifth kill.

Tentacles snare and drag, as the Horror eats another four of the Kriel Warriors and the Skinner. However, he can’t quite kill the last one, the Piper. This becomes a big deal later, as you’ll see. And since you can’t push a knocked down model, he also can’t drag it in.

The Spitter charges into the Pyre Troll and kills it in one go, Borka reaving the fury. However, at this point, I am running HOT on fury. Three on the Spitter, four on the Wrastler and Horror. Then, as the Snapper goes in to the Fell Caller, he has to spend all three to finish the job. At least he succeeds and goes torpid, shedding a fury.

The remaining nine Bog Trogs split into a four and five combined attack, because as I predicted, Horthol toughs the first. But the second catches him. The Posse then kills three of the Scouts and goes dirge of mists for DEF16 as well as tough from the Witch Doctor.

Despite knockdown, the other Posse only kills one Tuffalo who just would not fail a bloody tough roll. He does finally go down, but jeez.

Trollblood Turn 4

Borka leeches back to five, but he, Rok and the Winter Troll all spend a fury to shake knockdown. He also upkeeps battle-driven.

The Scouts manage to drag down one Gatorman.

Rok charges into the Wrastler and begins venting fury. It takes four, but the Wrastler goes down. Barnabas lets the fury go. Borka seriously considers charging into Barnabas, but he doesn’t have a lot of fury, and it would trigger a free strike by the Horror, who would hold him in place. So, he goes for the Horror instead, easily offing the badly wounded beast. Barnabas reaves this fury.

The Winter Troll pounces on the Snapper, but the plucky gator survives on one box.

The Tuffalo stand up to move and reengage the Gatorman Posse.

Okay. The Piper, the sole remainder of the Kriel Warriors, captures a flag. I can hear the hate mail already. “BUT CHRIS, A UNIT BELOW HALF STRENGTH CAN’T HOLD A FLAG”. I KNOW!!!! Believe me, I know. But we forgot. We forgot, okay? I know these reports must be a struggle for you good gamers, but this was today’s only big error.

Victory Points – Trollblood 1, Blindwater 0

Blindwater Congregation Turn 4

Barnabas’ fire goes out, but the Witch Doctor burns to death. Barnabas can only take back two fury, leaving one on the Spitter, and two on the Snapper. The Snapper frenzies, hurts the Winter Troll and becomes stationary for the favour. Iron flesh is upkept. (Totally a word. Upkept.)

Bog Trogs pour around the Scouts, dragging two down. The Posse finishes off the last one, capturing the flag. However, Rok is still contesting it. No problem.

The Spitter walks up to Rok, and performs a two-handed throw. One can only imagine the look in Borka’s face as he watches his pet beast fall out of the sky towards him. Rok scatters, landing on his face with no damage.

The Gatormen fighting the Tuffalo focus on the two damaged ones and manage to kill them both. Lastly, Barnabas runs away from Borka, and keeps fury for any necessary transfers.

Victory Points – Trollblood 2, Blindwater 1

Trollblood Turn 5

Borka had two fury, so he can only take three back from Rok. However, both Rok and the Winter Troll pass their threshold checks.

The Winter Troll kills the poor Snapper. Snappy, no! The Tuffalo also kill two of the Gatorman, leaving only the leader. Rok sprays a gator, but misses. The Krielstone moves up to contest my flag.

Borka moves into the Spitter and kills it quite easily, since it had suffered a reasonable level of damage. He has only one fury left for transfers.

Victory Points – Trollblood 3, Blindwater 1

Blindwater Congregation Turn 5

Having reaved fury from the Spitter, Barnabas is at a full six. He doesn’t upkeep, as it isn’t useful anymore.

Barnabas moves up to trigger Borka’s counter charge. He doesn’t fall for the bait and refuses to charge into the fury-laden warlock. So, Barnabas casts flesh eater, hurting Borka and healing himself back to full from the burn damage he took earlier.

The last three Gatormen charge off of their flag to engage Rok and Borka, using their ability to re-roll failed hits. They only engaged Rok to stop a counter-charge. Despite their re-rolls, they miss Borka a lot, and they don’t kill him, despite forcing a transfer to Rok.

The Bog Trogs charge through the gap the Gatormen made, to engage the Krielstone and recapture the flag. They roll very well, and clear enough off the regain the flag.

However, it’s game over at this point. At the end of this turn, the Trolls hit four points. If I don’t contest the flag, RIGHT NOW, I’ll lose in their turn. The only chance is if the last Gatorman can break away from the Tuffalo and contest the flag. However, he has to survive two free strikes and only has two boxes.

Yeah.

He doesn’t make it.

Victory Points – Trollblood 4, Blindwater 2

Results

Trollbloods win by victory points! Sort of…

Ending Thoughts

Okay. I know. I know. Still, if the Piper hadn’t done it, Borka could have easily gone for a dominate on his flag and won earlier. So, I stand by the fact that this is a troll victory.

Well, that was goddamned intense and goddamned fun! Despite the massive brawl erupting along the entire board, so much was going on. Feats hitting entire armies. Elite units slogging it out. Fires burning.

Poor Horthol and new game syndrome. I can only feel Ashley’s shame as a bunch of skinks… err… Bog Trogs dragged him from his steed and mobbed him. I had to do it. He’d have been such a powerhouse and a headache if I hadn’t.

It’s a shame Barnabas never had a chance to engage. But the one turn he could have jumped Borka was completely suicidal.

Well, the Skinner was scary to watch! At least he wasn’t allowed to abscond with his octopus pelt. The octopus demanded it back. Similarly, I misjudged the Croak Hunter and allowed it to get killed.

I promise, I’ll try and win more reports next year!

Borka rolled up to Barnabas with an aura of supreme arrogance. The gatorman warlock grasped the shaft of his haft so tightly, his fingers would go white were he not already albino.

“Your army is in tatters. The day is mine. Allow me access through your territory.” It was not a request. “We could fight now, if you’d like. But I think neither of us would walk away without serious injury.”

“God will show you mercy this day, interloper. Take the path to the north east to avoid any major settlements of my people. This is all the kindness I will show you. Go before I kill you.”

Borka nodded and ordered Arctos to move past the warlock. He raised a hand in a lazy wave. “Merry Christmas to you, too, Barnabas.”

Man that was an intense game!
    My initial plans went out the window once lines were met. Due to the gators holding back, and me misjudging distances, I was forced to call my feat at a less than opportune moment, only delaying the crocs rather than creating openings for myself. Ideally I want to get my models engaged before calling the feat.
    Still haven't had chance to get the charge off with my tuffalo! And poor Horthol snuffing it early...

Nice reports and fantastic pics!!

T.
    Quote Originally Posted by vytzka View Post
    ... you don't have to tarpit something that is already dead.

Some of the most fantastic & entertaining reports on here Kurisu, thanks for that! Sounds like a mighty battle and a hard-fought game!
    http://privateerpressforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic116488_1.gif

Battle 9: Asphyxious1 vs Jarl

”It has been a long time,” Asphyxious spoke. He examined the bleak landscape of the Thornwood with lazy interest, emotion from a previous life. Not since he was a druid had he been here, and that was a very long time ago indeed.

“Your orders, master?” His Skarlock asked, little more than an empty puppet for his master’s rule. Asphyxious gave no sign of having heard. He continued to stare, lost in idle thought. Almost unconsciously, he flexed the fingers on his left hand, and a nearby Deathripper shuddered.

“Yes, it is a beautiful place. Bleak. Austere.” Asphyxious shook himself, as if waking from a dream. He turned to face the thrall. “Raze it all to the ground.”

”Let them come,” Jarl whispered, fingers curling around triggers. His force stayed hidden among the trees, awaiting the perfect moment for an ambush. The main bulk of the Cryx army was still too far away for a perfect strike. Ranks of Bane Thralls marched towards his position.

“Something’s coming!” Horgle hissed from nearby cover. ****! Jarl peered around, trying to see what Horgle had. It took a moment, but he could make out the bizarre ripple in the air. A spindly, crab-like bonejack. By bad luck, it was heading right for Jarl’s position.

Was it bad luck? It almost seemed to be sniffing him out. A magic hunter? Wait. Wait for it. Not until it’s right upon you. At point blank range, it became more visible, a nightmare made of metal. With a battle cry, Jarl swung out and jammed both his rune pistols into the bonejack’s mouth and fired repeatedly until the crab-thing collapsed, smoke pouring from its ruined head.

Unfortunately, while he had been successful, it had more than slightly given away his position. The Stalker’s death throes would have gone right back to the enemy warcaster. He signalled his troops. “Spring the trap!”

Cryx

Iron Lich Asphyxious
    -Slayer
    -Reaper
    -Stalker
    -Cankerworm
    -Deathripper
    -Skarlock Thrall

Bane Thralls (Leader and 9 grunts) with Officer and Standard
    Bane Riders (Leader and 4 grunts)
    Warwitch Siren
    Warwitch Siren

Well, I’ve just had a Merry Cryxmas, and am ready to destroy the civilized world at the beck and call of the Dragon Lord. Simple information, Ashley and I exchanged presents – Jarl and Asphyxious. This made our first game of the year simple to figure out!

As of yet, my unit selection is quite limited. My shipment of Pistol Wraiths hasn’t arrived yet, sadly. I started with Banes mainly because metal models annoy me, but I’m fully aware of the meme. I have the Sirens because initially I was working on Deneghra’s theme force, but circumstance has led me to try Aspy first. I wasn’t going to leave Cankerworm at home if I was bringing him!

I’ve been looking out to trying Stalkers against Ashley’s Trolls. Poor things, missing their tough rolls. Later on, I’ll have to try a pair of them with Venethrax, just to make him weep, but today is not that day. I feel like the Deathripper’s Arc Node will be more useful.

Don’t be too unkind about my paint scheme. It looked better in my head!

Trollbloods

Jarl Skuld, Devil of the Thornwood
    -Mulg the Ancient
    -Axer

Horgle Ironstrike
    -Slag Troll

Fennblades (Leader and 9 grunts) with Officer and drummer
    Krielstone (Leader and 3 grunts) with Stone Scribe Elder
    Long Riders (Leader and 2 grunts)
    Fell Caller
    Trollkin Sorcerer

Pew, pew, pew, pew. Ahem. *Puts Jarl down* Anyway, it’s been a merry Christmas on my side too. Namely the Jarl I got from Chris and Horgle too. Jarl is a strange warlock, promoting movement and battlefield benefits rather than stat buffs. He might take a bit of getting used to. Still, he’s going to mitigate the speed difference between Cryx and Trolls.

Horgle is potentially lethal against Cryx as a warjack killer. He deals so much damage with a slag troll that the low armour Cryx jacks will melt away if I can score the hits. And when it comes to killing, few things hit as hard as Mulg. Literally.

Poor Horthol needs to overcome new game syndrome, so here he is. Also, I have a new Sorcerer to try out and see how well he works.

Mission

50pt Steamroller mission. We roll Scenario 6: Two Fronts. This puts two rectangular zones in the middle of the board, with two objectives as well.

Ashley wins the roll off, but elects to go second.

Deployment

I deploy Asphyxious, the Skarlock and the Helljacks in the centre of the board, flanked by the two units of Banes. Cankerworm takes the left flank with a Siren for support, and the Deathripper, Stalker and other Siren take the right flank.

The Krielstone takes pride of place in the centre. Jarl’s battlegroup and the Long Riders go on the left flank. Horgle, the Slag and the Fennblades go on the right, supported by the Fell Caller and Sorcerer. Horthol takes the very far right flank.

Turn 1

Asphyxious puts a focus into each jack, and the whole army simply surges forward, hugging terrain where possible.

Likewise, the Troll army surges forward. Jarl drops five fury into the Krielstone, and the beasts rile to fill him back up next turn.

Victory Points – Trollblood 0, Cryx 0

Cryx Turn 2

Asphyxious drops two focus into the Stalker and another two into the Reaper.

A Siren gets the Deathripper advancing, to bring its Arc Node forwards. Staying next to his objective, Asphyxious casts Breath of Corruption through it into the Fennblades, but gets an unlucky miss. Still, he creates a cloud effect. The Reaper joins in, Harpooning a Fennblade who does not get back up. The Stalker then surges into their midst, but gets incredibly unlucky and only kills a single one.

The Bane Riders move up to occupy the wall in the centre of the field, and the Slayer joins them.

As the Bane Thralls move into the friendly zone, the Skarlock places Scything Touch on them. Cankerworm loiters nearby in a forest, trying to make an unfriendly welcome for the Long Riders.

Trollblood Turn 2

Jarl takes back the fury from his beasts, going back to full. Now, a rule I forgot (been a while since I fought the Fennblades) was vengeance. They crowd around the Stalker and land two blows despite the high DEF of the bonejack.

The Krielstone advances, popping its aura along with stone strength. The Fell Caller puts War Cry on the Fennblades, which he will continue to do all game long.

The Fennblades charge into the Bane Riders and Deathripper as well as continuing to engage the Stalker. Not only do they finish the Stalker off, but they slay three Bane Riders and damage the Deathripper, though it is still fully functional. Horthol moves up, now lacking a charge target.

Horgle casts hot shot and the Slag Troll vomits over the Reaper. His first shot breaks the Reaper’s Harpoon, but I get lucky and the second shot misses, despite boosting. The Reaper is corroded. The Sorcerer casts frost bolt, but also misses.

Jarl puts Quicken on Mulg and shoots down another Bane Rider. He puts his last fury into the Krielstone and then calls his feat, a wave of five cloud templates forming a line over the Cryx advance. The Axer moves into the Cryxian zone and places Rush on Mulg.

Wow, okay. With a staggering speed boost, Mulg hurls himself over the stone wall and into the Slayer, easily destroying the fragile Cryx Helljack. With only two fury spent, he even kills the last Bane Rider.

In an unusual display of smarts, the Long Riders hold their position rather than charge into a full unit of Bane Thralls and Cankerworm.

Cryx Turn 3

Damn. That went south fast. And now I have lost a lot of LOS due to Jarl’s feat. Time to dig in. Asphyxious hoards his fury jealously.

First things first. The Bane Thralls run, engaging the Axer with a couple of them and forming a ring in their zone. The Skarlock Thrall places Scything Touch onto Asphyxious. The caster then advances into the smoke cloud, engaging Mulg. Now, we assume that touching bases granted LOS, and he cast Parasite onto the Venerable troll. This put Asphyxious at POW17, and Mulg at ARM 18.

Once, twice, three times, four times, five times, Asphyxious swings his blade, cutting the Troll badly despite getting a couple of unlucky misses. Before Mulg can relax, his feat is called. While the damage rolling across the Trolls do nothing, Asphyxious refills his focus and continues to swing. Finally, Mulg falls. Using some of his remaining focus, he then teleports into the ring of Bane Thralls. Jarl reaps the fury from his fallen beast.

The Deathripper kills a Fennblade, but the Reaper only makes one pass a tough roll.

Trollblood Turn 3

Four letter expletive, I just triggered Vengeance again for no goddamned good reason. In my defence, I was very sick and sleep deprived in this game, but Goddamnit, that was two turns running. As Jarl and Horgle replenish their fury stocks, the Fennblades advance, further damaging the Reaper.

Horthol charges in and destroy the Deathripper as the Sorcerer gets a very lucky frost bolt on the nearby Siren (DEF17 with the forest!) Freed up, the Fennblades surge into the Reaper and destroy it too.

The Slag Troll vomits on my objective, but rolls pitifully and only deals seven damage to it. The Axer threshes through a pair of Banes, but the last one shows the power of the undead, toughing it thanks to the banner.

Jarl casts magic bullet, shooting a Bane Thrall and curving the bullet into Asphyxious. “Dude, you just shot a guy through a guy”. However, it doesn’t penetrate the Cryx caster’s armour. Jarl now has a direct shot with his second pistol and shoots six damage from Asphyxious.

Finally, the Tuffalo charge and kill three Banes.

Cryx Turn 4

Asphyxious upkeeps Scything Touch but keeps the rest for himself.

First, he charges into the Axer, but the dice just won’t come up right. By the time I only have two focus left, he’s only done about half of the Axer’s boxes. Unfortunate, but I have to proceed. He uses his last two focus to teleport into Jarl.

The Siren activates Cankerworm who moves into the nearest Tuffalo with an armour piercing strike… and misses. Damn.

The Skarlock cycles Scything Touch onto the Bane Thralls. They proceed to finish off the Axer, kill one Tuffalo and make a second one pass a tough roll.

Trollblood Turn 4

Jarl has no fury to gather this turn, only having the three he took from the Axer.

Still, Jarl is immune to free strikes and moves away from Asphyxious towards the centre field. He puts quicken on the Fennblades and shoots Asphyxious for four more damage. Horgle casts hotshot, and the Slag Troll swaggers up to spit on Asphyxious too. He only does minor damage, but does manage a critical to corrode him.

The Krielstone charge into Asphyxious, purely to stop him from charging Jarl. They can’t hit his high DEF.

Between the charging Fennblades and Long Riders, most of the Banes are cleared, including the standard bearer. Only two remain, but one is the officer.

While my army crumbles, the objective holds strong. The Sorcerer’s frost bolt fails to harm it, and Horthol’s charge also does very minor damage.

Cryx Turn 5

Asphyxious hoards focus and takes a corrosion damage.

The last Siren makes a Tuffalo take a tough roll, and then Cankerworm moves around behind them, killing both remaining Trollblood cavalry. I have this wonderful image of the centipede like jack arcing up over them, fanged maw descending.

The Skarlock casts Breath of Corruption, felling a Fennblade. Another falls to the Bane Thralls.

Here is my one chance for victory. If Asphyxious can kill the Stone Scribe Elder with a magic spell, he can move into Jarl. If he survives the free strikes, he’ll have four focus to kill Jarl. Likely? No. But, it’s all I got.

However, the Elder toughs the spell, and the next TWO BLOODY STRIKES. With his fourth attack, the Elder finally goes down. He holds onto his last two focus.

Trollblood Turn 5

Horgle can’t take back the last fury, but the Slag Troll passes his threshold. Jarl has zero fury now.

Between Vengeance and their own activation, the Fennblades see off the Banes and the Skarlock, but fail to kill the Siren. Finally, Horthol cracks the objective, tearing it down for a point.

Rather than fight honourably, Jarl flees to his own zone, earning another point.

While the Krielstone can’t bring down ol’ Gaspy, the Slag Troll charges in, but lady luck doesn’t quite come through, and Asphyxious ‘lives’ on a single box.

Victory Points – Trollblood 2, Cryx 0

Cryx Turn 6

Now, ladies and gentlemen, Asphyxious has one hit point and a corrosion marker. Can you guess what happened? Can you?

Victory Points – Trollblood 3, Cryx 0

Results

With Asphyxious dead, victory goes to the Trollbloods!

Ending Thoughts

It ends not with a bang, but a whimper.

Okay, I mentioned this before, but I was dead from fatigue today, so I hope that at least explains some of my terrible misplay on turn 2. Because that’s where it all went wrong. Not only did I get my Stalker killed for no good reason, also thought that wall would protect the Bane Riders, when it did nothing.

In my defence, the Slayer was behind a wall and a row of knights, and then Mulg got TWO speed buffs. I really, really, did not see that one coming. My only consolation is the thought of Aspy striding into the smoke cloud, glowing visible as he calmly takes on Mulg. It’d be like a Blizzard cinematic!

The Slag Troll had some awful luck. I don’t think he ever did the damage he should have, even with Horgle’s aid. It was quite funny how long my objective lasted. Apparently Horthol’s buffalo was wise enough not to headbutt a marble statue.

I’ve played Fennblades enough to know they have vengeance. I’m legitimately angry at myself for constantly killing one at a time, giving them maximum benefit from it.

I’ve got a lot to learn with Cryx, but I also got a game in with Deneghra1, and I find her playstyle much better for me, so there’s some hope.

Jarl watched as the enemy warcaster shrivelled and melted before his eyes. He couldn’t put his finger on it, but it didn’t seem right. He doubted that Cryx could be killed so easily. He’d probably see the undead monstrosity again at some point.

Jarl shrugged, putting it from his mind for now and began to assess the damages. The battle had gone well, but he’d still lost good trolls. He turned at a mournful bellow and saw Mulg saunter away into the woods, clearly grievously hurt. Even the mighty Mulg would need time to regenerate those injuries. Horthol's buffalo bellowed as he mounted the ruins of the enemy throne, the hero raising his hammer high.

This day belonged to the Devil of the Thornwood.
    Last edited by Kurisu313; 01-05-2015 at 02:39 AM.

Sweet! And our old friend no-jaw-asphyxious too! Gotta love thatcankerworm...

pretty sure the troll sorcerer is a unit attachment, and I hope you remembered sustained attack when taking out mulg?
    Impressively average

That was a bit of a brutal one! Rather enjoyed using some new models in this game, namely Jarl, Horgle and the Sorcerer. For 1pt, the Sorcerer is pretty nifty. He killed a solo outright, and made Chris think about where he wanted to drop his upkeeps. I think in the future I'll be using a runebearer with Jarl.
    Looking over the pics, it occurs to me that I actually had an assassination run on Asphyxious with Mulg. I had boosted him to Speed 8, which got him to base with the Slayer. That left him 3" plus reach to skirt around his base and batter the living (?) hell out of Gaspy. Would have been a short game though!

Trollkin Sorcerer is not a unit attachment, it is a solo with Adjunct. Activates on it's own, can only strip upkeeps from the selected unit.

Ogrob: Yeah that was the way we played it.

Battle 10: Venethrax vs Borka2

This game is tournament practice. We played two games, so my note-taking was of lower quality. We would appreciate any feedback you guys can give us, before we go to the tournament next Sunday. I’ll upload the second game in a day or two.

Cryx

Lich Lord Venethrax
    -Stalker
    -Stalker

Bloodgorgers (Leader and 9 grunts)
    Mechanithralls (Leader and 9 grunts)
    Necrosurgeon and three Stitch Thralls

General Gerlak Slaughterborn
    Pistol Wraith
    Pistol Wraith

I’m running two lists. One is a Deneghra ‘jack heavy list, so as a counterpoint to that, I’m running this massively infantry heavy list. So, if my opponent is Cygnar (a faction that can heavily disrupt jacks), I have options. Also, Venny is a nice anti-horde caster.

The basic gist of this list is to have the Mechanithralls bog the enemy down while the Stalkers and Bloodgorgers seek out more choice prey. Any nasty heavy jacks can be shut down by the Pistol Wraiths.

All in all, if I can pull off dragon slayer on a fury laden warbeast once, I’ll call this a good day!

Trollbloods

-Rok
    -Earthborn Troll
    -Axer

Mission

It’s a 35pt game, and we roll mission 10: Outflank. A very simple mission, this places two circular zones in the middle of the board which can be captured for 1pt, or dominated for 2.

Deployment

Ashley wins the roll off, and tells me to go first. I deploy a solid core of 30 Mechanithralls, with the two Pistol Wraiths separating them. Venethrax and the Necrosurgeon deploy behind them, and the Stalkers go on the far left.

The Long Riders deploy opposite the left hand zone, and the rest of the trolls across from the right hand zone.

I then advance deploy Gerlak and the Bloodgorgers on my left flank.

Early Turns

To start with, the two forces hurl themselves forward. Venethrax upkeeps dragon slayer on himself as Borka does the same with battle driven. Borka also keeps snow shroud on Rok. By my second turn, I’m just touching both zones, sending a few Bloodgorgers forward to entice the Long Riders.

The Long Riders slam into the Bloodgorgers, tearing the heart out of their unit. Horthol engages the Stalkers as they come around the flank, but is unable to land blows on them. Having got some extra distance from a counter charge, the Earthborn tramples deep into the Cryx forces, crushing Mechanithralls beneath its bulk. The Axer backs it up, using Rush to slay a few Mechanithralls.

Rok and Borka occupy a zone, throwing bombs and spraying, felling only a single Mechanithrall.

Middle Turns

The Bloodgorgers strike back at the Long Riders, dragging two from their mounts and grievously wounding a third.

Mechanithralls rise from the dead as the Necrosurgeon goes to work. They swarm around the three Troll warbeasts, grievously hurting them all. Venethrax puts his earbuds in, switches his ipod to ‘Sannin no Dragon Slayer’ and slays the Earthborn, drawing its fury onto himself.

The Stalkers drag Horthol from his steed.

Later Turns

The Axer threshes through Mechanithralls like Brad Pitt through the zombie apocalypse, but he’s eventually dragged down by weight of numbers. Horthol, too, succumbs to the Stalkers. On the other hand, the Tuffalo cut through Gerlak and the Bloodgorgers, and Rok and Borka clear their zone, scoring points.

As more Mechanithralls seek to pull Rok down, Venethrax draws his blade once more and slays the mighty dire troll, absorbing his fury. Having killed Horthol, a Stalker jumps on Borka from behind, and rolls a staggering triple six, wounding him for twelve boxes.

Borka’s only chance for a victory is to jump on Venethrax right now, but he only has three fury and cannot dare cut for more, since he has to survive a free strike from the Stalker. He does so, only taking a point of damage, and assaults Venethrax. However, with dragon slayer and his robbed focus, Vennie is at DEF15, ARM22. An average-to-unlucky series of rolls means that Borka cannot do any serious damage to the hardy Lich Lord.

One more time, Venethrax wades into the fray, and slays Borka.

Victory Points – Trollblood 2, Cryx 0

Results

With Borka on the cutting room floor, victory goes to Cryx!

Ending Thoughts

An obvious problem here was Borka forgetting to use his feat. I saw the moment pass and said nothing, operating on the principle that this was a ‘hard’ tournament game. It wouldn’t have had an enormous effect, since the zombies were chow anyway, but it might have saved Horthol.

The main plan worked, but I think I underestimated the damage output of the Mechanithralls. Poor MAT, but very high POW when combining. They died in droves, but did the damage. I didn’t position the Necrosurgeon very well, and lost out on a lot of corpse tokens. I also need to work on spreading them out, as I forgot about Borka’s bombs.

I was a bit shocked by the Long Riders running rampant over the Bloodgorgers. It’s my first time seeing their charge in full effect, slamming and pushing forward. They just tore the Bloodgorgers apart. It’d help if I could pass a tough roll, but hey.

The Wraiths never got their effect off, but hey, that’s more for Khador and Menoth that the Trolls. They still racked up some damage over the game.
    It was glorious watching Venethrax go to work, doing what he does best. Enough of a dragon slayer to fit into Fairy Tail! Or at least enough of a troll slayer to go drinking with Gotrek. Kill something big, and then use it’s fury to replenish your armour, so even Borka can’t assassinate you.

Again, any feedback on the lists and tactics would be useful. I’ll have Deneghra’s game ready in a day or two.

I have just realised that Venethrax's list was 1pt over the limit. That was my mistake. I'll have to switch a Pistol Wraith to a Skarlock Thrall.

Well that Venthrax list brings an obscene amount of bodies for 35 points and mecthralls hit very hard when they hit. Whats in the denny list?
    Impressively average

Battle 11: Deneghra1 vs Borka2

Practise game number two.

Cryx

Warwitch Deneghra
    -Reaper
    -Slayer
    -Deathripper
    -Deathripper
    -Nightwretch
    -Nightwretch
    -Defiler
    -Skarlock Thrall (Attachment)

Warwitch Siren
    Warwitch Siren
    Warwitch Siren
    Pistol Wraith

I want to see if Deneghra’s theme force will work at this point level. Managed to cram in all four tiers with zero points to spare!

So, it’s a strange army, with no units, just ‘jacks and solos. The whole idea of Deneghra’s force is trying to grant her enough focus support to work. A Skarlock to cast a spell for her, three Sirens to get three more focus. A lot of the bonejacks only need a single focus to work.

I think the key to this list is the Helljacks. They’re my main combat power, and need to be protected until ready to strike. That’s the joy of crippling grasp. Reducing a unit’s speed by two essentially reduces their melee range by five, since they can no longer charge.

I’ve managed to cram in a game with this list before which I won, but it was against an even weirder list – a colossal, 2 heavies and 6 mechanics. So, I doubt that was a good indicator of this list’s efficacy.

Trollbloods

-Rok
    -Earthborn Troll
    -Axer

Mission

Scenario 1: Destruction. This puts a rectangular zone in the very centre of the board, with a faction objective in each corner. One point to destroy the objective, one to hold the zone, two to dominate.

Deployment

Thanks to Deneghra’s tier benefit, I win the roll on a convincing seven. I ask Ashley to go first.

With all of the subtlety I expected, he whacks down his entire force right in the middle of the board.

I place Deneghra and her Skarlock in the centre, with her heavies on the right. I then form a line of bonejacks on the left, supported by the solos. My Helljacks then take their advance move towards the objective.

Early Turns

On turn 1, the two forces head towards each other. Borka puts up battle driven and casts snow shroud on the Long Riders. The Reaper harpoons the enemy objective for three. One bonejack runs across to the right, to increase my arc node options.

On the troll turn 2, the Earthborn destroys the Cryxian objective. Horthol charges the Reaper, but misses both times on a 4. Poor guy. The rest of the trolls occupy the zone.

Deneghra then calls her feat, catching the entire Troll army. She then casts Parasite onto the Axer, and Crippling grasp onto the Earthborn. The Wraith and Bonejacks take on the Earthborn, reducing it to a mere two health, along with a corrosion marker. The Defiler’s spray also manages to catch Borka for a couple of boxes. The Slayer kills the Axer with ease.

The Reaper slays Horthol’s first form, and then the nearby Deathripper comes over to kill his infantry form. Poor guy. The Skarlock then cycles crippling grasp onto the Long Riders.

Victory Points – Trollblood 1, Cryx 0

Middle Turns

Despite his damage, the Earthborn regenerates both his mind and body and wrecks the nearest Nightwretch. Borka moves back and casts primal on Rok and heals a box before calling his feat. Rok then throws the Slayer out of the zone and into Deneghra for some minor damage to both. This frees the zone and scores two points for the trolls. Rok continues to pound a Deathripper into heavy damage. The Long Riders advance a pitiful 3”.

A Nightwretch finishes off the stricken Earthborn at point blank range. The Reaper drags a Tuffalo to its doom, becoming stationary in the process. Deneghra gets to her feet and hops behind a wall for safety. Between the Sirens, bonejacks, Wraith, Skarlock and the Slayer, the front three Tuffalo are all massively injured but only one actually falls. Goddamned tough rolls! This causes stationary on all who hit them in melee.

Thanks to primal, Rok frenzies on a Deathripper, killing it with ease. Borka wades into the fray, killing a Defiler and the Wraith, as well as hurting a Nightwretch badly. The only healthy Tuffalo slams the Reaper away, and another slays a frozen Siren.

Late Turns

Frozen, knocked over and out of CTRL, the Reaper ain’t going anywhere, but Deneghra hands out the focus to get her ‘jacks shaking stationary. The two grievously damaged Tuffalo are brought down by a Deathripper and a Siren. Freed up, the Slayer moves back to shield Deneghra. The Skarlock cycles crippling grasp onto Rok. The Nightwretch moves around Borka (staying in melee range) to occupy the zone.

If he can kill the four models in the zone now, Borka will win. Moving around from the Nightwretch, he slays both a Siren and the bonejack. Rok, despite his debuffs, manages to catch the nearest Siren. This leaves only the damaged Deathripper. The last Tuffalo comes back for it, but unfortunately, misses. A clean hit would have seen the game end, most likely.

The Deathripper moves out of the way – dying to a free strike. But this opens a path for Deneghra who casts crippling grasp on Borka for four focus after a boost to hit. She then charges and hits him for a shadow bind and middling damage. She had also placed three focus into the Slayer, who charges in.

Borka was at an effective DEF9, ARM16. He stands no chance as the Slayer kills him with a single blow.

Results

Again, Borka dies, granting victory to Cryx!

Ending Thoughts

Bow before Queen Deneghra! Ahem.

Deneghra’s tier makes such an unusual army at this points value. At 50pts, I’d add in 30 Mechanithralls to have some meat, but at this level, it’s just jacks. Weak, but I gain a free five point model, so it’s a weak 40pt army in a 35pt game.

I should have placed an arc node on the right. I’m kicking myself for being so stupid. It’s the whole point of all the arc nodes – to sling spells from everywhere.

Deneghra’s debuff game is lethal. After her feat turn plus both debuffs, and cycling one with the Skarlock, things just die. The Axer simply evapourated.

I like these two lists, and I think the horde infantry and jack heavy lists will give me a fair shot against any opponent.

I hope that answers your question, Sevensins :P

Just as a heads up, objectives can't be damaged until the 2nd player's 2nd turn.

Razcalking: Oops, that's good to know, thanks

Bristol Independent Gaming, Tides of Winter

This here is my tournament report for Bristol Independent Gaming’s Tides of War. There were four games at 35pts, following the steamroller format. Here are the two lists that I took. Deneghra’s list was made for fun, to see if the tier list would work at this points level. Venethrax’s list was made as a counterpoint to that list, ostensibly to be anti-Hordes, but also to be a model heavy army opposed to a small model count army.

It ended up using the Steamroller 2015 rules, so I added in the objectives. They never came up, though.

List 1 – Deneghra1 Tier 4

Warwitch Deneghra
    -Reaper
    -Slayer
    -Deathripper
    -Deathripper
    -Nightwretch
    -Nightwretch
    -Defiler

Warwitch Siren
    Warwitch Siren
    Warwitch Siren
    Pistol Wraith
    Objective: Fuel Cache

List 2 – Venethrax Tier 3

Lich Lord Venethrax
    -Stalker
    -Stalker

Bloodgorgers (Leader and 9 grunts)
    Necrosurgeon and three Stitch Thralls

General Gerlak Slaughterborn
    Pistol Wraith
    Objective: Bunker
    (List was changed since picture, losing a Wraith for a Skarlock Thrall)

Game 1 The Protectorate of Menoth
    Harbinger, 2 Squads of 5 Bastions, Seneschal, Dervish, Devout, Repenter, Hierophant, Choir, Vassal, Covenant.

Mission: 1 Destruction

Results The enemy list was based around not dying. Two squads of Bastions with a Senechal and Harbinger to protect them. I used my Denny list, and let her go first. On turn 2, her feat basically prevented my units from advancing, but that’s all it did. In return, the Bastions pitifully failed a charge by a half inch or so.

In my following turn, my feat and debuff spells tore through the Bastions with my Helljacks, but they just would not die, despite being all on 1 box. Harbinger dropped to half health, but between her focus healing and the Hierophant, it was a minor inconvenience. Over time, the Bastions took down my Helljacks, but I did finally destroy eight of the tough Exemplars. Notably, my Pistol Wraith melee’d one of them down.

Our light jacks mostly ended up in a grinding match on the flanks without achieving a lot. With the clock running down, I decided to try and go for the caster kill, because I couldn’t shift the objective or win on victory points. However, I placed Deneghra badly. After the Devout slew a bonejack, Harby had a charge lane to Denny and tore her apart since she ignored Denny’s high DEF and had about infinity focus to buy more attacks.

Ending Thoughts

I feel in some ways that this was a bad match up. Harby could knock off my upkeeps, and the sheer resilience stopped my feat turn from being what it should be. In the end, I made an horrendous error in placement, and that’s my fault.

Game 2 Cygnar
    Constance Blaize, 2 units of Precursor Knights (one with attachment), Gallant, Cyclone, Stormblades, a solo I can’t recognize, Allison Jakes

Mission: 3 Close Quarters

Results

I ran my zombie horde for this game. The zombie horde proved to be effective. The Bloodgorgers began to overrun one flank as they slowly began to whittle down Precursor Knights. The Wraith managed to snipe a solo for me.

It wasn’t all my own way, with the Stalkers basically being destroyed for little benefit, and the Cyclone locking down my movement with it’s AOEs.

But this game can be summed up by one word: Gallant. I didn’t know what it did, and was careless with Venethrax. Suddenly, my own Dragon Slayer spell was a massive hindrance, allowing Gallant to wallop him for insane damage. This was followed up by Blaize, and Venethrax bit the dust.

Ending Thoughts

Yeah, if not for Gallant’s purgation ability, Vennie would have most likely been able to tank him, but it was not to be. The army works but is slow to kill the enemy. I need to keep my caster safe while they go to work.

Game 3 The Retribution of Scyrah

Rahn, Eyriss 2, Phoenix, Stormfall archers, 2 squads of Houseguard Halberdiers, Arcanist.

Mission 4: Fire Support

Results

This game was a short and brutal education. Eiryss shot Vennie to strip his focus and upkeep, and Rahn feated and blasted him. I ran and healed while sending waves of zombies at him, but the Phoenix just burned them all down to free its arc node and then Rahn blasted him again.

Ending Thoughts

Yeeeeaahhh… no. That was harsh. It ended on turn three, a brutal lesson in how a 40mm caster needs 40mm bases to shield him. I had no idea how nasty Rahn was as an assassin, and now I know better.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast