Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Game 4 The Legion of Everblight

Vayl1, Shredder, Stinger, Carnivean, Seraph, Raek, Teraph, Forsaken

Mission 8: Recon

Results

So, this game took place on the bottom table, since we both had three losses. I instantly chose Venethrax, because he hates the Legion. To make that point, Venethrax personally accounted for the Shredder, the Raek and finally, the Carnivean.

None of my opponent’s shenanigans really seemed to come off for him. Despite the fact that my Bloodgorgers refused to hit his Seraph even with their gang ability, my Mechanithralls just wore away at his beasts. On top of that, he reduced my objective to 1 box, and then it just refused to die, no matter what he did.

Finally, my Stalkers managed to jump on Vayl. Despite the Teraph intervening due to dark sanctuary, it could not stop the crabjacks from tearing the fragile warlock to pieces. Once again, Venethrax proved to be a dragon slayer.

Ending Thoughts

It’s nice to see Venethrax doing what he does best – killing warbeasts, and then replenishing his armour with their fury. It was kind of amusing to see the Shredder even try!

Ending Thoughts for the Tournament

We went up to Bristol for our first tournament. While vain fantasies of winning danced before our eyes, I think we both knew that this was going to be a harsh learning experience. And the problem with learning experiences is that you tend to lose to them!

We didn’t see any particularly broken lists – no Haley2, for example. There was a Caine1 list going around that I desperately wanted to avoid, since he can basically slaughter my Mechanithralls personally. In the end, Xerxes2 won the tournament. Damn, that’s a glorious model. I’m glad I didn’t have to face it!

My main downfall has been reasonably consistent – standing my Warcaster in stupid places. Some of those are more my fault that others. Gallant’s purgation was a stunning surprise that I just didn’t know about. Against Harbinger, I should have known better. Against Rahn… I was just screwed. I needed the Bloodgorgers to shield Venethrax, but that’s not what I’d been doing all tournament long.

In my defence, I realised I had lost the Harby game anyway. Because the Bastions were so tough, I couldn’t free the objective or win on army killed points, so the only way to win was caster kill. I was slow to realise this, though. I should have gone for her harder, earlier.

While my opponent was a nice guy, and no insult is intended, the Legion of Everblight list was not the strongest. He did end up losing the tournament. And of course, Venethrax was a strong match up to him. But I’d promised myself that I’d use Vennie against any legion player, no matter the match up.

This was my first experience with timed turns, of 10 minutes each. It was quite a learning experience, and times when it felt like I had infinity time, and times when it felt like nothing. I never had to use an extension, though. Years of 40k prepares the body for moving large quantities of models!

I had fun overall, though I definitely got a bit sadfaced after Rahn’s game, since I then had about an hour to kill. It was also nice to see mostly painted armies. I had feared a certain level of just waves of metal models, but it was not to be.

There were some statistical anomalies here and there. The Pistol Wraiths just would not pull off their combo! Even against a DEF11 Carnivean, the RAT7 wraith decided to miss both shots, just to cap things off. The Bloodgorgers refused to fight the Seraph for some reason, almost never hitting on six, despite 10 or so attempts. On the flipside, they wouldn’t miss the Precursor Knights.

Ashley was with me, and won two games. He beat the same Everblight player in round 1. In round 2, he fought LordofGoats’ Borka1 with Borka2. LordofGoats posted a report here last night, but Ashley lost by a minor margin. Ashley also very narrowly lost to Vryos2. An inch less and he would have won on points. And finally, he managed to beat that Rahn, by being too tough to die!

In March we go back for the Spring tournament. I’ll have to decide what I want to do – I can feel the righteous fire of Kreoss burning inside of me… or is the evil of Cryx going to drag me back down?
    Last edited by Kurisu313; 01-26-2015 at 02:59 AM.

Nice tourney writeups! Some rough matches there, but live and....well... Undead and learn?

That constance match was very thematic, waves of zombies against the valiant precursors

one thing though, a simple caster switch in that zombie horde to skarre1 will make it pretty scary, dark guidance being a thing and all, not to mention her feat.... (and she's a small base)

while Dhenegra makes anything good, that theme force was a bit lacking imo, I'd like at least one unit instead of that many nodes.
    Impressively average

Quote Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
    Nice tourney writeups! Some rough matches there, but live and....well... Undead and learn?
    Thanks to my Necrosurgeon, there were multiple Mechanithralls who were using their previous death as a learning experience!

one thing though, a simple caster switch in that zombie horde to skarre1 will make it pretty scary, dark guidance being a thing and all, not to mention her feat.... (and she's a small base)
    I just checked her feat. Holy balls would that be scary.

while Dhenegra makes anything good, that theme force was a bit lacking imo, I'd like at least one unit instead of that many nodes.
    I definitely look forward to running Deneghra with other army compositions. She also turns Mechanithralls into elite killers.

Yeah I plan on running denny with pirates and other mercenary types, suspect it will be fun
    Impressively average

Battle 12: Kreoss1 vs Gunnbjorn

”Come on, you snivelling maggots, load the cannons!” Gunnbjorn snapped. Groaning Pygs dragged shells as big as they were to a waiting heavy gun. It was an experimental design, made under his watchful eye.

As the guns were loaded, Gunnbjorn took out a shining gold pocket watch – a relic of his time in Cygnar. Despite being out in the Kriels for so long, it still ran like… clockwork… thanks to his tender care. As the second hand and minute hand met at the top, he barked a loud ‘FIRE!’ and the guns spoke.

He watched the cannon’s shell arc high into the air and come down in the distance. With a dissatisfied grunt, he noted that it wasn’t were he’d hoped it to fall.

“Prepare to fire to cannon again,” he stated prosaically. Groaning Pygs went back to work, cupping ringing ears.

“Maybe we should check that the firing range is still deserted,” a Gunner suggested. Gunnbjorn grunted in annoyance.

“I will not delay my tests any further. The appointed is now. Everyone knows not to disturb my firing range at this time. What are the odds that some fool has wandered in now? Fire it again!”

Kreoss’ nose twitched at an unexpected odour. Gunpowder. The Trolls were not particularly noted for their use of firearms, he thought. He’d clashed with their bruisers before, but this was probably a different breed of blueskin. It seemed that his passage through this land would not go undisturbed.

Ahead of him, his Errants fanned out, taking to the terrain like fish to water, despite their heavy plate armour. A bulwark of Cinerators formed up protectively around him, but he shook them off, telling them to press on. A loyal Vigilant kept pace, more than enough to protect its master from any Troll firepower. Then, an explosion tore a tree from its roots.

“Menoth alive!” a Cinerator shouted. “What was that!?

“A ranging shot,” Kreoss replied calmly, watching the horizon. “Calm yourself and fight appropriately. We have fought before against the guns of Cygnar. We will not be dissuaded by simple shows of crude power. Menoth wills.”

“Yes, High Exemplar,” the man responded, cowed. “Menoth wills.”

Next to him, the Fire of Salvation had the reassuring presence of a faithful dog – albeit a very large one. Kreoss imparted some measure of his power to it, and it began to advance even as more foliage was torn apart. Menoth wills, indeed.

Protectorate of Menoth

High Exemplar Kreoss
    -Fire of Salvation
    -Vigilant
    -Revenger

Exemplar Errants (Leader and 9 grunts) with Officer and Standard
    Exemplar Cinerators (Leader and 4 grunts)
    Choir (Leader and 3 Grunts)
    Wracks
    Objective: Bunker

A return to old man Kreoss. So, after my hiding at the Tides of War, I’ve been thinking about what I want to do next. I’d rather not run the same/similar lists again, so time to look through my other armies. I’m trying to pay more attention Kreoss’ spell denial abilities, to shut down the low FURY Trolls.

Kreoss1 is based around his feat turn. That one turn where the enemies’ DEF suddenly become null, and their movement in the next turn is severely hampered. To that end, I have Errants, able to shoot or melee or both, to maximise the damage output of that turn. Kreoss’ purgation really makes this turn lethal.

Since a lot of my losses come from bad caster placement, and Kreoss1 is somewhat frail, I’ve put in a Vigilant, whose whole lot in life is to stand in front of Kreoss and not let him die. Then a Revenger to allow Kreoss to sling spells from behind shelter. Finally, the Fire of Salvation, because Wynaut? Then a Choir, because Menoth.

Now, while a Fuel Cache would help alleviate Focus woes – important for Kreoss1, but experience has been that it’s too limited to pull off, so I went for the tougher Bunker. However, I squeezed in some Wracks to help.

Trollbloods

Captain Gunnbjorn
    -Dire Troll Bomber
    -Dire Troll Blitzer
    -Runebearer (Attachment)

Horgle Ironstrike
    -Slag Troll

Sluggers (Leader and 4 grunts)
    Krielstone (Leader and 3 grunts) with Stone Scribe Elder

Mission

We get Scenario 7: Outflank. Simple as can be, this puts two circular zones in the middle of the board. They’re neutral. Control for 1 point, Dominate for 2.

Deployment

Gunnbjorn deploys in the middle with his battlegroup, the Krielstone behind them. Horgle and his Slag Troll are placed just to the left of them, and the Sluggers go even further to the left.

I place Kreoss, the Vigilant and the Fire on the right. The Revenger and Cinerators deploy in the middle with the Choir behind. I then advance deploy, putting the Errants far on the left in the forest, and the three Wracks evenly placed along my line.

Turn 1

Horgle puts hotshot on the Slag Troll, and they run forward, riling for one. The Sluggers take a nearby fence. The Bomber and Blitzer run forward and rile to total six fury. The Runebearer uses harmonious exultation, allowing Gunnbjorn to place snipe on the Sluggers and then dump five fury into the Krielstone.

Kreoss places one focus into each warjack and casts Lamentation on himself and defender’s ward through the arc node and onto the Errants. Kreoss explodes a Wrack for the necessary focus. He walks up behind the Fire and Vigilant. The Errants hang back out of the range of the Sluggers and are joined by the Cinerators and Revenger. The Choir sing Passage, blocking non-magical shooting.

Victory Points – Trollblood 0, Menoth 0

Trollblood Turn 2

Fury is leeched to full, and both hotshot and snipe are upkept.

The Sluggers move forward and shoot into the Cinerators, managing to kill one and damage another. The Slag Troll moves up to help, but is just out of range. Horgle then casts molten metal on the Revenger, but misses despite boosting.

The Runebearer uses harmonious exultation again. Gunnbjorn moves into the middle and casts guided fire. He then shoots at the Cinerators but is out of range and scatters. It lands in their midst, but their armour shrugs it off with ease. Finally, Gunnbjorn drops a rockwall in front of Horgle and his pet.

The Blitzer touches the nearby zone and the Bomber and he rile for six. The Krielstone uses combat warding.

Apparently I deleted this photo. Sorry.

Menoth Turn 2

Kreoss upkeeps both of his spells. He then keeps all of his focus.

The Choir sings passage again, protecting my jacks from shooting. The Fire and Vigilant move up to enter the zone but stay back from the Blitzer. The Revenger moves into the midst of the troll army. Kreoss then moves up behind the Vigilant and casts cleansing fire through the arc node, at Gunnbjorn. Unfortunately, he’s out of range by a hair. He then reaps a focus from a Wrack and casts immolation at the Slag Troll, burning off three boxes.

The Errants move forward and form a line, shooting bolt after bolt into the Sluggers, killing two and injuring a third. A couple of crossbow bolts embed themselves in the Slag Troll, causing incredibly minor damage.

They’re out of charge range, but thanks to their speed boost the Cinerators run forward to engage the Slag Troll.

Trollblood Turn 3

Gunnbjorn goes back to full fury from his beasts, and Horgle does the same.

The Runebearer casts snipe on the Bomber with his one off ability. The Sluggers begin firing into the Errants, generating eight shots between the three of them. Five Errants fall to the hail of firepower.

The Slag Troll cycles between useless and awesome. He misses the DEF11 Cinerators several times, does a poor damage roll – and then slugs one so hard that he kills him in a single blow. Horgle charges in to help his pet, killing another Cinerator.

Gunnbjorn casts guided fire and explosivo on himself. With a magical shot, he bypasses the Revenger’s immunity and criticals, slamming the jack back four inches and dealing eight damage. He tosses his last fury into the Krielstone.

Unable to shoot any jacks, the Bomber and Blitzer devastate the Choir, leaving only a single member, who fails his command check.

Menoth Turn 3

Kreoss upkeeps his spells, and then put two focus into the Revenger, and three into the Fire.

The Revenger uses one to shake knockdown and moves up to Horgle, hurting him. The Cinerators finish off the lesser warlock, making the Slag Troll go wild. The Errants charge forward, killing one of the Sluggers and damaging the Slag Troll.

The Fire storms into the Blitzer, thumping it several times and breaking its mind. Kreoss huddles in behind the Vigilant, and takes a focus from a Wrack just for a little armour. This causes the poor thing to explode.

Trollblood Turn 4

All the upkeeps fade, and Gunnbjorn takes six fury back from his beasts.

In melee, the Sluggers fail to hit the DEF14 Errants. The Slag Troll sits around, scratching its rear end. The Krielstone moves forward, using stone strength. The Runebearer then uses harmonious exultation.

Gunnbjorn casts guided fire and drops a rock wall in front of himself. He misses the Revenger on a staggeringly bad roll.

Moving down, the Bomber draws line of sight to Kreoss and lobs a bomb at him, causing ten damage. He throws his second bomb, but is scatters wildly. The Blitzer regenerates its broken mind, and then pops his animus, repulsion, pushing the Fire back three inches. Freed up, he moves around the other way and also finds a path to Kreoss. He takes his first shot and the Menoth caster falls.

Results

Kreoss dies, resulting a win to the Trolls!

Ending Thoughts

God. Damn. It. I really thought I’d got Kreoss into a safe spot. I wasn’t really aware of Repulsion and the fact that the Blitzer could free itself. With guided fire up, even though it was fury-strained, it was still lethal.

I can’t really see what I’d play differently. The battle was going okay for me. The left flank was collapsing for the Trolls. Another turn of beating would see the Blitzer fall.

It’s a shame I was a little out of range when I cast magic on Gunnbjorn. A little damage there might have seen him panic a bit. Also, I was never in range for lamentation to do any good. It’d be more useful against a melee caster. It’s a bit scary that Gunnbjorn with snipe outranged my CTRL.

It was harsh for Gunnbjorn to face the Choir, watching his shooting shut down. Explosivo offered a way around it, but it didn’t really happen much this game.

Sadface. I’d wanted Kreoss1 to work, and I was close, but it was not to be.

The Blitzer roared as it saw the enemy warcaster stagger under its firepower. The pyg gunner hung on for dear life, trying to keep the enemy in its sights. Another spray erupted from the nozzle, but suddenly a wall of metal was between them. The Vigilant stood defiantly before its master, shields closed.

Enraged, the Blitzer tore the light jack limb from limb, but it took a while to do it. It had lost sight of Kreoss. It snorted impetuously and turned back to its master. Gunnbjorn snapped orders as he walked backwards, a wall of armoured knights advancing.

Rather than try to hunt down the High Exemplar or his loyal warjack, the warbeast charged back to help Gunnbjorn. Moments later and the Menoth forces were in disarray. Victory for this day went to carefully calculated firepower, liberally applied.
    Last edited by Kurisu313; 02-01-2015 at 09:48 AM.

Good going, Gunnbjorn!

Kreoss1 has a bit old man stat syndrome making him easily killed, shield guard perhaps?
    Impressively average

Hmm. I don't own any Devouts. Maybe I should look into that.

Battle 13: Amon vs Gunnbjorn

“At the double!” Gunnbjorn barked shortly. Grumbling from the ranks was short lived as he cast his eye back over his ‘men’. The climate here was unseasonably warm for the trollkin, and they were clearly flagging.

Filthy desert dwellers, Gunnbjorn thought. What sort of proper military force would reside in such a place? Proper warfare should be fought in more proper country, like the Kriels. Or possibly Cygnar. This was uncultured. Unbearable. Unproper.

He briefly tended to his bazooka, finding comfort in the ritual work. If he trusted nothing else, he trusted this gun. No matter what, it would see him out safety. He just had to wait for his scouts to return. As longs as they were out there, they’d have warning.

They came out of the sand like spectres. Before any of the scouts knew what was happening, half of them were dead. A raging demon slew them, enormous claymore cutting through multiple bodies at one, red cloak billowing behind him.

“Fall back! We have to warn the Captain!” the Scout leader bellowed to his remaining trolls. In the next moment, his body fell back, his head pulped by an enormous iron ball. Amon advanced, swinging Oblivion like a dervish. The remaining scouts fell back in fear.

“None shall live who trespass here.”

The Protectorate of Menoth

High Allegiant Amon Ad-Raza
    -Templar
    -Crusader
    -Vanquisher
    -Revenger
    -Repenter

Daughters of the Flame (Leader and 5 grunts)
    Choir (Leader and 5 grunts)
    High Paladin Dartan Vilmon
    Paladin of the Order of the Wall
    Vassal of Menoth
    Bunker

Trollbloods

Captain Gunnbjorn
    -Dire Troll Bomber
    -Dire Troll Blitzer
    -Runebearer (Attachment)

Horgle Ironstrike
    -Slag Troll

Sluggers (Leader and 4 grunts)
    Arcane Wonder

Mission

We roll scenario 2: Two Fronts. This places two rectangular zones in the centre that are faction specific. Each contains our objective. Control the enemies for 1, dominate for 2. Dominate your own for 1.

Deployment

I deploy first, placing my heavies to go for his zone, and my lights to go my own. I string out the Choir as much as possible behind them, with Amon in the centre, and my solos around my heavy jacks.

Similarly, Gunnbjorn and his heavies face off against my heavies, and Horthol and his Slag Troll head for my lights along with the Sluggers. The Krielstone offers emotional support from behind.

Finally, I advance deploy my Daughters on the far right.

Turn 1

Amon puts focus into four of the jacks to get them going, leaving the Repenter behind. With his last two focus he casts mobility, and the force surges forward. The Daughters run through the forest before them. In order to keep up, the Choir does not sing, but runs.

Horgle casts hot shot, and the Slag Troll riles to fill him back up next turn. With Harmonious exultation, Gunnbjorn places five fury into the Krielstone, and then casts snipe on himself. He takes a potshot at the distant Crusader, causing three damage. The rest of the trolls simply advance, warbeasts riling to fill the warlock back up.

Last edited by Kurisu313; 02-02-2015 at 12:20 AM.

Menoth Turn 2

Amon only puts one focus into the Repenter.

Amon then moves to the building and casts both mobility and synergy. The Revenger uses the movement boost to stand in front of him, shielding him when combined with the building. The Repenter just creeps into my zone.

The Choir move forward and sing passage, protecting my jacks from non-magical shooting (much to Gunnbjorn’s disgust). The heavy warjacks all edge into the troll zone, unable to kill the objective yet. The paladins join them, slowing to enter their stone-and-mortar stance.

The Daughters run like the wind down the flank, seeking a wall for cover.

Trollblood Turn 2

Gunnbjorn and Horgle return to full fury.

The Slag Troll vomits over my objective, dealing only seven damage due to its sturdiness. Horgle moves to keep up with his pet. Gunnbjorn places snipe on the sluggers, explosivo on himself and throws down a rock wall in front of him. He takes a shot at the Templar, but the tough jack is unmoved. He then puts explosivo on the Bomber.

Without a better target, the Blitzer hammers my objective and destroys it. The Bomber moves into the troll zone and lobs a bomb at the Vanquisher for minor damage. With his second bomb, he manages to catch two of the Daughters, easily killing them.

The Krielstone pop combat warding, and the Sluggas move to face the oncoming Daughters, missing them utterly with the wall’s DEF boost.

Victory Points – Trollblood 1, Menoth 0

Menoth Turn 3

Amon upkeeps synergy and puts one focus in each heavy jack.

Amon then walks around the building, casting mobility. Again, the Revenger moves to cover him. The Vanquisher charges into the Bomber, dealing it minor damage. The Templar whacks the arcane wonder hard, easily warding off the minor POW it does in return. To finish, the Paladin charged it and cut the objective in two. Damn, cutting a giant rock in half with a sword is pretty badass.

Without a target, Vilmon advances more slowly, maintaining his defensive stance and the Crusader completes a wall in front of Amon. I just lost Kreoss, I am not letting Amon get sniped! Rather than give a damage buff, the Choir continue to sing passage for this turn.

The Daughters charge into the Krielstone, slaying one of the Scribes and killing the Elder.
    Victory Points – Trollblood 1, Menoth 1

Trollblood Turn 3

The warlocks let all their upkeeps fade and leech back to full fury.

Horthol places the Slag Troll’s animus onto the Blitzer and then casts molten metal on the Repenter, dealing six damage. Because the Choir is shielding it, the Slag Troll ignores the Repenter, killing the nearby Choir grunt and riling up to three fury.

The Sluggers decide on quantity over quality, and blitz the four remaining Daughter’s with a hail of firepower. Despite needing a ten to hit, two find their mark and kill them. The remaining pair fail their command check.

The Bomber wails on the Vanquisher, ultimately breaking both its leg system and left arm. Gunnbjorn throws up explosivo and guided fire, shoots the Crusader for three boxes and then erects a rock wall in front of him. The Krielstone uses its aura, but now lacks the Elder’s buffs.

Finally, the Blitzer charges the Templar. With two initials, three shots from the gun, the Slag Troll’s animus, and four fury, it deals a whopping… four damage. It was a cacophony of bad dice rolling, and the sturdy Menoth jack weathers the storm.

Menoth Turn 4

No focus is given out. Amon runs to the right, calls his feat and casts flagellation, followed by mobility and synergy. This has the by-product of handing six focus to the jacks, two to each heavy. The Choir switches to a hymn of battle.

The Vanquisher and both Paladins work together to bring down the Bomber. The regular Paladin actually misses, but Vilmon deals insane damage. Gunnbjorn reaves the lost fury.

The Templar beats back the Blitzer multiple times, opening enough room for the Crusader to clear the rock. wall and finish the job. Gunnbjorn lets the fury go, since he’s running hot. The Revenger walks up to the Krielstone, killing one Scribe. The Vassal uses auxillary attack, forcing the Revenger to kill a second Scribe.

The broken Daughters move to get in the Slugger’s way as much as possible and then rally. The Repenter pushes into the Slag Troll, since its shooting is more deadly. It manages to deal five damage on a high roll.

Trollblood Turn 4

Gunnbjorn is on four fury and has no more to take. Horgle goes back to full.

The troll warlock runs for my zone and shoots my Crusader, hoping for a critical. Alas, it is not to be. The Runebearer casts rock wall for Gunnbjorn, shielding the warlock.

The Slag Troll and Horgle pound on the Repenter, but despite all odd, the plucky jack hangs on, creaking and badly damaged, but alive.

The Sluggers try to move around the Daughters, but the first free strike causes four damage and the next kills one. The remaining decide to duke it out, but cannot land a good hit on the high DEF girls. A free Slugger shoots at the Paladin, killing it outright, and the damaged one shoots Vilmon, but only for two damage.

Menoth Turn 5

In this important turn, I of course, forget to cast mobility, like a plank. Amon puts two focus into the Crusader and Templar and one into the Revenger, upkeeping Synergy. Amon moved into the Troll zone.

The Vassal bought an attack for the Revenger, killing the Krielstone Bearer. The Revenger then charged away, spearing a Slugger. Another is pulped by the Vanquisher, and the Daughters bring down a third, leaving only a single Slugger remaining.

Because I forgot mobility, the rock wall became a problem. The Templar ran around it and into base contact with Gunnbjorn. The Crusader had just enough room to charge Horgle and did so, killing the lesser warlock and making the Slag Troll go wild.

I now dominate the troll zone.

Victory Points – Trollblood 1, Menoth 3

Last Turns

At this point, we didn’t really play the game out to its full conclusion. The Runebearer ran to contest the zone. The last Slugger didn’t break away successfully, but passed his tough roll and survived. We didn’t bother to roll Gunnbjorn vs the Templar.

I made a quick move to charge Amon into the Runebearer and killed him in a single blow. While it might have amused me to squish Gunnbjorn with the Templar, the game is now decided.

Victory Points – Trollblood 1, Menoth 5

Results

With five points, victory goes to Menoth!

Ending Thoughts

I feel like nothing went right for the trolls there. I have two jacks which should be piles of wreckage, but were still alive with cortex and weapon arm, allowing them to continue functioning.

The Choir is so harsh to Gunnbjorn, particularly when matched with Amon’s jack heavy style. Its interesting running so many warjacks, and seeing them function focus-starved. Mobility kind of is an alternative to running or charging, really.

I think my favourite moment of the game was when the Blitzer charged the Templar and did four damage after about seven or eight attacks. It just gives this image of the Blitzer wailing on the shield like a madman before running out of steam. At that point, the shield lowers, revealing a pair of glowing eyes, ready for the counterattack.

It was also nice to actually kill the Kriel stone. Bunch of gits, always out of reach, buffing the entire enemy army… grumble… Of course, my Choir is completely different!

To call it a mismatch was an understatement. Oblivion shot out, shattering one of the runestones and pulverising the shoulder beyond. Roaring in pain, the Runebearer swung the other stone like a club, but faster than he had moved, Amon had withdrawn the chain weapon and spun low, sweeping away the troll’s feet. With a swift move, the ball arced up and down, pulping his skull.

Across the field, Gunnbjorn fired point blank at the Templar, but the tough armoured warjack advanced through the fire and flames, seemingly unharmed. What did it take to stop this thing!?

Gunnbjorn reached out and made a connection to the wayward Slag Troll. Instantly, he ordered it to throw itself at the Templar. The warjack staggered as the wounded light warbeast jumped on it, warding it off with its shield.

Gunnbjorn didn’t wait to see what would happen and turned to flee. This humiliation would not go unpunished. He’d get revenge for this.

Would have benefited greatly from having a close quarters dire troll in this match, but that's hindsight! Honestly just wanted a change, and haven't run Gunnbjorn in a while.
    Very interested in running my Borka2 list against this, a nice big line of warjacks for my long riders to bowl over!

Battle 14: Kromac vs Borka2
    The RereBorkaning

Important I’m trying out a new style of picture for this report. Please tell me what you think of it. I did forget to take army photos, which is frustrating. Please note that the maps are not 100% accurate, but I’m trying.

Kromac sat on a throne, though not many civilised races would see it as such. It was little more than fallen branches, arranged into a vague facsimile of a chair. It was reasonably impressive though, like a crown of thorns around him.

He slumbered, his head tilting slightly. Nearby, Ghetorix watched him through the darkness of the forest. A single, baleful eye regarded the warlock with hate. Lips pulled back to reveal massive canines.

“You’re welcome to try,” Kromac murmured, not lifting his head. With an angry snarl, Ghetorix turned away. At that moment, a panicked cry rang out as an unseen flock of birds flew into the air. Kromac’s eyes opened. His heckles rose. “Intruders into my territory? What fool is this? What fool would disturb this forest!?”

”Chopping down trees, chopping down trees,” Borka sang joyfully, stopping occasionally to take a swig from a barrel of beer. He wasn’t being particularly helpful, mind. He swung in crazy arcs, meaning no one dared work near him. Arctos slumbered nearby, watching his master lazily.

Rok was being somewhat more helpful, uprooting trees wholesale. Trolls worked to clear away his mess. Rok was making great progress, but left a considerable amount of detritus in his wake.

A howl rang out, unearthly and powerful. That was no mere wolf, Borka thought as he let his axe go and drew Trauma. In response to the noise, Arctos roared, shaking out his shaggy shoulders. Borka quickly mounted his loyal steed.

“It looks like we’ve found ‘em, lads! Let’s show these wolf boys how trolls fight!”

Circle Orboros

Kromac the Ravenous
    -Ghetorix
    -Riphorn Satyr
    -Feral Warpwolf
    -Argus
    -Gorax

Warpborn Skinwalkers (Leader and 4 grunts) with Alpha
    Tharn Wolf Riders (Leader and 2 grunts)

Having another go with Jacob here. *whack* Sorry, I shouldn’t call him that. My understanding is that Kromac works well with a beast-heavy force, so that’s what I’ve tried here. Ghetorix is obvious, and my selection of models is somewhat limited.

There’s no subtlety or clever tricks here. It’s a wall of wolves, ready to tear and maim. I think if there’s any strategy, I’ll rely on the Skinwalkers to hold one zone indefinitely, while Kromac tears into the other one with his beasts.

Trollbloods

Borka, Vengeance of the Rimeshaws
    -Rok
    -Winter Troll
    -Axer

War Wagon
    Long Riders (Leader and 4 grunts)
    Horthol, Long Rider Champion
    Skinner
    Sorcerer

Mission

We rolled mission2 – Two Fronts. This puts down two rectangular zones each with an objective in it. I win the roll off and choose to go first.

Deployment

To put it simply, I place the Skinwalkers opposite my zone, and all my beasts opposite his. I then put Kromac between them, and the Wolf Riders on the far right flank.

Horthol and the War wagon take the left flank. The scouts deploy on the right. The rest of the army forms a solid lump in the middle. Due to tier, Borka puts Snow Shroud on the Long Riders, and Battle Driven on himself, as well as placing three snow drifts on the board.

Turn 1

Kromac puts resolve (+2ARM) on the Skinwalkers and warpath onto himself, moving into the middle of the board. The Skinwalkers then move to defend my zone.

The three heavy warbeasts run to occupy the wall, followed by the lights. Between them, they create five fury to hand back to Kromac next turn. The Wolf Riders runs down the right flank, holding back a little from the Scout’s axes.

With the speed boost from Borka’s tier, the Long Riders form a line in the middle of the board. The Skinner goes to hide behind a building. The Axer uses Rush and hurls himself towards the Circle zone. Horthol runs around the building on his flank as the War Wagon stomps forward.

Borka dumps five fury into the stone and advances with Rok and the Winter Troll. The stone puts up its protective aura. The Scouts hold back for the moment, protecting the flank from the Wolf Riders.

Victory Points – Trollblood 0, Circle 0

Turn 2

Kromac leeches back to a full seven fury, and upkeeps both of his spells.

The Three Heavy beasts each leap over the wall, but advance no further, just touching the enemy zone. The Feral Warpwolf sprouts armour plates as Ghetorix gets into his defensive stance. The Gorax moves up just behind them, and I belatedly rile the Argus for two, since I wasn’t paying attention to my fury management.

The Wolf Riders move forward, and draw line of sight to the Skinner behind the building. Two javelins later and the solo falls, but passes his tough roll. The third Javelin manages to roll lowly enough not to kill him, and the unit bounces back with their light cavalry move.

The Skinwalkers occupy my zone, getting ready for the stuff that’ll hit them next turn.

Borka also leeches back to his full five, and upkeeps his spells.

The Battlewagon moves forward, but its main cannon misses the Skinwalkers. The spray manages to hurt one, though. The Axer then charges in and threshes, killing the damaged Skinwalker and hurting the objective. With its last fury, it hits the objective again, putting it at half health. (In retrospect, I think it might have been miles out of Borka’s CTRL) Horthol moves around to flank the Skinwalkers next turn.

With a deafening bellow, the Long Riders call their slam, hurling themselves into the line of Heavy Circle beasts. Two engage the Satyr, one gets Ghetorix, and one makes it to the Feral Warpwolf, but only with its axe range, so no slam occurs there. Trapped by the wall, the Satyr and Ghetorix are pounded and knocked down, but manage to not lose any of their aspects. The Warpwolf shrugs off minor damage.

The Skinner gets up and moves to engage the Feral Warpwolf, though he can’t fight this turn. The Winter Troll places his animus on the Skinner and Borka calls his feat. With the animus and Show Shroud, hitting the Long Riders and Skinner has just become dangerous.

The Scouts charge at the Wolf Riders simply to hurl their axes, but five miss. The last hits, but only causes two boxes of damage. Rok idles in the middle and the Krielstone put up their Aura.

Turn 3

Kromac leeches two fury from the Argus and maintains both of his spells again.

The Skinwalkers charge into the Axer and War wagon, braking the Axer’s body and dealing about half of the wagon’s damage.

The Riphorn and Ghetorix stand up, but do not attack. In retrospect, I should have put up Ghetorix’s animus, but I didn’t think about it. Maintaining his armoured form, the Feral Warpwolf punches the skinner, killing it. This makes the Feral Stationary, but it’s better than letting the Skinner fight!

The Argus runs around the Feral Warpwolf, shielding it from being charged by the Winter Troll. Because I’m a moron, this means the Winter Troll can counter charge, but thankfully it misses the high DEF of the Argus.

The Wolf Riders press down the right flank, killing two scouts with their javelins and then bouncing down past them with their extra move. Kromac uses rift on the Scouts, but manages to snake eyes his damage roll. The Gorax charges in, kills two Scouts and then riles to full so Kromac can have seven fury next turn.

The Axer frenzies, being too far out of Borka’s CTRL. But with a broken body, he only ties with the Skinwalker’s high ARM. The War wagon and Horthol lay into the Skinwalkers, but despite knocking a few down, none actually die. Kromac’s inviolable resolve has proved extremely useful here.

The Sorcerer forgets to zap the objective for some reason. (I actually forgot to mark the Sorcerer on the map, he was so ineffectual! He’s standing on the top right corner of my zone.)

The Scouts engage the Gorax. It does not go well. Even with gang, they both miss the enraged beast.

Rok puts Primal on the Winter Troll, and the Krielstone puts up Stone Strength. Despite this, the Winter Troll only lands a single blow on the Argus, breaking its mind, but not killing it. Without the charge, the Long Rider damage slows down massively, and all three beasts survive, thought the Satyr is on a single point of damage!

Borka then moves over to the right to guard against the Wolf Riders, topping up the Krielstone. He has two fury left for transfers.

Turn 4

Now? It’s now, isn’t it? Now? Now! Throwing away the pretexts of humanity, Kromac goes beast mode. Literally. His spells fade as his muscles swell. He takes a full seven fury and gets ready. But there’s a little bookkeeping first.

I wanted to block Rok’s counter-charge lane, so the Feral spends a full four fury to shake Stationary, and double handed throw the Long Rider into Rok. It doesn’t do much damage, but it means Rok can’t move in to help Borka.

The Wolf Riders charge into the warlock. It’s at the extreme of their range, but they get three javelin shots as well as two charge attacks and two wolf bites. In total, they deal a small amount of damage to Borka, but it took quite a few high rolls to do so.

Kromac then LEAPS OVER A BUILDING to engage Borka man to man. Err… Wolfman to Troll. And Bear. I decide to fully boost both hits and damage to get through Borka’s DEF14, ARM20. One attack misses, but after seven fury, Borka is half dead and two transfers have gone.

“Is that all you’ve got?” Borka asks, bloodied.

“I haven’t even started yet.” Calling his feat, Kromac takes seven damage for seven more fury. Five fury later, Borka finally falls to Kromac the Ravenous.

Results

With Borka’s demise, victory goes to the Circle!

Ending Thoughts

Huh. I think that’s my first time ever pulling off what one could call a dedicated assassination run. We both felt so strange. There was a battle raging across the board, but it was all called off. Almost nothing died! 1 Skinwalker, 4 Scouts, a Skinner... and Borka, of course.

God, that was tense activation. Even with his high stats, Kromac was at -6 to damage, and Borka had two transfers. If he had passed his tough roll, it’s very possible my last strike might have failed. I doubt Kromac would have survived the retribution.

I spent a lot of time shutting down Rok’s charge path, but in retrospect, I think Counter-charge can’t trigger after leap? Oh well. In Ashley’s defence, it was his first time seeing Kromac go all out. And Borka’s so tough, and behind a wall of stuff, it’s not surprising that he felt safe.

Holy hell, did I get my Heavies in a bad place, pinned to a wall after a slam. That was my error. I was lucky that they held on as well as they did. With Borka’s feat, I chose not to attack, as killing a Tuffalo would only have made my beasts stationary and open a charge lane for Rok.

Arctos reared and roared as the wolves lunged at him, swatting the light cavalry away. Finally having some breathing room, Borka tried to take stock of the situation. A piercing howl caught his attention and his head snapped up as Kromac hurled himself off of a nearby building.

The thing coming at him was certainly no longer human, glowing bright with power. Dawn and Dusk span around in a hurricane of death, cutting deep into Borka’s flesh and driving him from Arctos’ back. He landed in the dirt hard. A moment later, Kromac landed upon him, pinning him to the ground.

“Time to finish what I started,” Kromac promised.

“If you strike me down, I’ll only come back as Borka3! I’ll be riding something bigger next time! Ooh, maybe a Mountain King.”

“I’ll take that chance.”
    Last edited by Kurisu313; 02-20-2015 at 02:26 AM.

Awesome! I really like the new style of report, having the overhead view adds a new element to it. And the humor content in your posts always makes me excited to see you post.
    Epic Morghouls Assassinations.
    Borka Keglslayer, War Witch Deneghra, Sturm and Drang, The Butcher of Khardov, The Butcher Unleashed, Ashlynn D'Elyse, Major Victoria Haley, Lord Tyrant Xerxis, Rhyas.

Excellent report as usual!

While the schematics were nice I much preferred your old style pics

and bringing both scouts and skinner? Good stuff!
    Impressively average

I made such a stupid move there, completely forgot Kromac could Leap. And the game was going my way too!
    @SevenSins: they count for tier two. In lieu of Northkin Fireeaters (not out yet) I took scouts to give me some distraction. I've been running two skinners at 35pts, and they do really well in this tier. I get them stuck in at the same time as the tuffalo, stick the winter troll's animus on them and pop Bearka's feat. The enemy then has to decide if he wants to try and kill a Def 17, 2pt solo and become stationary, or take another whack of damage next turn. Course there's no guarantee they'll kill them, leaving the skinners a stationary warbeast to stab.

So, feels like the general view is to go back to the old pictures. It was worth a shot.

Personally, I subscribed more for the humorous in-character banter in the posts, but I do prefer the old style over this one. Mostly because I can't quite tell what the models are supposed to be in the top-down graph without doing some referencing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonard_Dukes View Post
    Hyperbole is the worst thing in the world, and will be the death of us all.

Battle 15: Kromac vs Borka2

I was supposed to be fighting Cygnar, but my opponent didn’t turn up. Ashley jumped in. Next week is the next leg of the Tides of War tournament, so we were getting our eye in. Sorry that it’s Kromac and Borka again, but this game plays out very differently to the previous one.

Also, we have no trees in our forests because Ashley was too lazy to get the box. That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it!

Trollbloods

Borka, Vengeance of the Rimeshaws
    -Rok
    -Pyre Troll
    -Winter Troll

Northkin Fire Eaters
    Long Riders (Leader and 4 Grunts)
    Horthol, Long Rider Champion
    Skinner

Circle Orboros

Kromac the Ravenous
    -Ghetorix
    -Argus
    -Argus
    -Gorax

Tharn Ravagers (Leader and 5 Grunts) with Chieftain and Shaman
    Tharn Ravager Whitemane

Mission

We roll up Scenario 2: Fire Support. This puts two flags along the centre line, with a friendly objective 4” behind it. So, you can’t capture the enemy flag without first destroying their objective.

Friendly flag is 1VP for a dominate, enemy flag is 1VP for control, 2VP for dominate. Objectives are 1VP each.

Deployment

Winning the roll, Ashley asks me to go first. I put Kromac and his warbeasts on my left flank, to secure my own flag. The Whitemane deploys by himself on the right flank.

Borka and his battlegroup follow suit, aiming to secure his own flag on the right. The Long Riders deploy to contest my flag, and Horthol takes the very far right. Due to tier benefit, Borka has battle driven on himself and snow shroud on the Long Riders.

My Tharn Ravagers then advance deploy in front of the Whitemane.

The Skinner deploys in front of the Long Riders and the Northkin Fire Eaters go in the middle.

Turn 1

Kromac places Inviolable Resolve (+2ARM) on the Ravagers, Warpath on himself and then charges at the Skinner. Everything else runs up, Ghetorix riling for one more.

In a hilarious display, the Northkin charge the Ravagers to fire their assault sprays. The Pyg lags behind and breathes over his friend to trigger their fire boost, but ends up killing him! Oh, how I laughed. Still, two Ravagers are hurt and set on fire. All the other trolls run forward.

Victory Points – Troll 0, Circle 0

Circle Orboros Turn 2

Kromac regains seven fury, upkeeps both of his spells, runs around to claim his flag, and then dumps all of his fury away. Cuz, I’m gonna run hot this turn! Speaking of hot, one Ravager suffers minor burn damage, and the other goes out.

The Arguses (Argi? Argupodi?) both charge the Skinner, but even though one hits, they can’t kill him over his DEF17 (I was 12 to hit!) The Tharn charge, engaging the Winter Troll, Northkin, Rok and Pyre Troll to pin down counter charges. Borka charges in, but misses.

The Shaman knocks out both of the remaining Fire Eaters with his electoleap, but both tough it. The Northkin grunt is killed, but the Pyg passes about three tough rolls to stay in the game. However, three Ravagers succeed in bearing down the Winter Troll. Two become stationary. Rok and the Pyre Troll both suffer minor damage.

Warpath kicks in and both Gorax and Ghetorix advance as the Northkin and Winter Troll die. The Gorax charges into Horthol, but the beast rolls very poorly to hit, and only deals five damage.

Ghetorix charges into the Long Riders, shifting into his warp strength form. He dispatches the Two Long Riders he can reach and places his animus on himself.

Trollblood Turn 2

Borka takes five fury, upkeeps his spells and calls his Feat. He then puts Rok’s animus on the Pyre Troll. He pushes into the Ravagers and slays three of them including the Chieftain. The Northkin pyg deals no damage.

The Pyre Troll slays two Tharn Ravagers, allowing Rok to move up and snack on the Shaman.

The Long Riders call a slam. One knocks an Argus through the other. After he completes his attack and the Skinner strikes, both Argus are very badly off. The other two hit into Ghetorix, but only one can Slam and he misses. His Animus kicks in, cutting one Long Rider in half with a counter strike. Borka’s feat makes him Stationary, but he only takes five damage.

With a pair of solid blows, Horthol deals a great amount of damage to the Gorax, almost killing it.

Circle Orboros Turn 3

Kromac takes back four fury from Ghetorix, and three from the healthiest Argus. The other Argus frenzies, but is knocked down, so does nothing. The Gorax also frenzies and brings Horthol down to his last box. Kromac drops both his upkeeps and heals a box on the non-frenzied Argus. Kromac then cuts down the Skinner and casts Bestial on himself and Resolve onto Ghetorix.

Standing up, the Argus kills the Long Rider with one combo-strike blow, becoming stationary. Ghetorix shakes stationary and decides to snack on the last Long Rider. It healed three damage, but gave him an ice-cream headache. I’m saying he became stationary.

Kromac scores a point for his flag.

Victory Points – Troll 0, Circle 1

Trollblood Turn 3

Due to the effects of primal, the Pyre Troll frenzied and hurled himself at Rok’s backside. Clearly he just wanted a hug, as he only dealt two damage – flaming hugs hurt a bit! Borka takes fury from Rok.

Rok eats the last two Ravagers, regaining four health. Borka walks to his flag, getting out of Bestial range and recasting battle driven on himself.

Horthol rolls up a newspaper and whacks the Gorax. Bad dog-thing, bad! Unfortunately, he rolled it around his hammer, and laid it’s brains over the countryside, but hey.

Victory Points – Troll 1, Circle 2

Circle Orboros Turn 4

Ghetorix and both Argus all shake Stationary/Knockdown and Kromac upkeeps Resolve on Ghetorix.

One Argus walks back to block Horthol’s movement, and casts his animus on Ghetorix. The Whitemane runs over to join the Argus, forming a loose wall. The second Argus loops back and around, blocking the other side of the building.

With a deafening howl, Ghetorix charges across the open earth to engage the bellowing Rok in on one combat. Extreme beast vs extreme beast. It’s at the very extreme of 11”, so only his axe is in range. With Warp Strength, he’s at +1 to damage, and carves Rok’s mind and body apart. If only he hadn’t had to shake stationary…

Victory Points – Troll 2, Circle 3

Trollblood Turn 4

Borka puts Primal on Rok and upkeeps counter charge. However, he’s low on fury, and holds onto his last one in case things go south.

Rok regenerates, healing body and mind. It takes everything he has, but the beast finally downs Ghetorix, roaring triumphantly over the savage king’s fallen body.

Horthol manages to swing around the lone Argus and contest the flag.

Victory Points – Troll 3, Circle 3

Circle Orboros Turn 5

“Screw it, wolf.” Turning around, Kromac drops his spells and the pretences of humanity and carves Horthol a new facehole.

Both Argus run south, around the forest, and the Whitemane goes north, luring Rok away.

Victory Points – Troll 4, Circle 4

Trollblood Turn 5

Thanks to Primal, Rok frenzies and charges at the Whitemane, killing it easily.

Borka lobs a bomb at the Arguses (Argi? Argopods?) but it falls way short.

The Pyre Troll runs to contest my flag, but it’s half an inch out.

Victory Points – Troll 5, Circle 5

Circle Orboros Turn 6

The Two Argus run towards the flag. Borka counter-charges and kills one, but can’t do it to the other, so I contest his flag.

Kromac leaps to the other side of the flag, half to show off, half to stop a counter charge from the Pyre Troll.

Victory Points – Troll 5, Circle 6

Results

With a whopping six points, victory goes to the Circle!

Ending Thoughts

That’s the first game where we reached five points, but a winner had not been declared yet.

Holy balls, if you had told me that Borka and Kromac would play a passive, flag-capturing game, I’d call you a filthy liar. And yet, it happened. It wasn’t intentional, I assure you. I’m sure we both planned to ram our warlock’s down the other’s throat.

Finally! Our Extreme warbeast conversions got to go one-on-one. Shame that Ghetorix went down, but it’s not like Rok didn’t get walloped.

The Northkin are some smexy models. It’s a shame that they got curbstomped so hard, but new unit syndrome is a real disease. See you doctor today! Or maybe don’t flamethrower your own dudes. Ashley pointed out that the Pyre Troll is a much safer way to trigger them.

Jeez, half an inch on the Pyre Troll winning the game. I felt my blood run cold as he made the move.

Can someone explain the logic of how fire eaters have Immunity: Cold, but not Fire!?

Next week is the next leg of the tournament, so I’ll post a report for it (probably next Monday) and then I promise we’ll switch it up a little! No more Kromac vs Borka2! Just wait for Kromac2… Muhahahaha!

Kromac 2 will be a sight I'm sure, fire eaters are a promising unit, fun to see them on the table

Great rep
    Impressively average

Man I played that 1st turn so badly. Need to work on getting everything engaged at once, rather than piecemeal. Oh well, lesson learned for the tides of war event!

Destroyer of Worlds mrmario7502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu313 View Post
    Can someone explain the logic of how fire eaters have Immunity: Cold, but not Fire!?
    For starters the unit wouldn't work! They're Immunity Cold because all Northern Trolls (Borka, Rok, Winter Troll) have it, but they can't have Immunity Fire because it would prevent them from being on Fire which is exactly what they want! I thought it was a little odd using the Pyg to light the other two on Fire when there was a perfectly good Pyre Troll in the list, but I suppose it was worth a shot. Still, never underestimate just how good they are without the boosted attack and damage rolls!

Seven Sins: I think it would be cool if Kromac2 was a Warbeast in the same way Karchev is a Warjack. That Kromac had gone so far into the wolf transformation he was now more beast than man,

Vampiric22: Best to get the misplays out of the way now. I'm always suspicious is I win too much before a tournament!

Mrmario7502: I appreciate that, I just think it's funny that guys who can literally eat fire can be burnt alive. Is there a fireproof stomach left in the ashes? Means you can't make Northkin Haggis, I suppose.

Destroyer of Worlds mrmario7502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu313 View Post
    Mrmario7502: I appreciate that, I just think it's funny that guys who can literally eat fire can be burnt alive. Is there a fireproof stomach left in the ashes? Means you can't make Northkin Haggis, I suppose.
    Ah, I getcha now; I thought you meant rules-wise. Well, let's look at it this way: they shrug off blazing coronas as if they were the gentle damp of an April rain, but their vigorous alcohol consumption eventually reaches a threshold where the slightest spark causes them to violently combust from their innards. Now the question becomes, "Why don't these guys create AOEs when they die?"

EDIT: And as always, a lovely battle report. Yours is a thread I'm always excited to see updated with new posts!
    Last edited by mrmario7502; 03-10-2015 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Phillumenists and their ilk...

Default Vampiric's Steamroller

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

Chris and I are attending round two of the Steamroller event this weekend, so I thought I'd do a rundown of my 35pts list.
    I'm bringing a tier 3 Borka2 list, which did pretty well last time. Shifted some points around to fit in the new Fire Eaters, which are bloody awesome looking models.
    The plan, such that it is, is to run up the centre with the Longriders, Borka and Rok, with the rest performing flanking duties. The skinner will buddy up with the winter and pyre troll, either softening or finishing off warbeast targets for them. In return, they will provide their animi to increase his damage and allow him to benefit from the feat turn. Rok and Borka will be a second wave for the long riders, and possibly blunting a couple of retaliation charges with counter charge.
    Horthol and the fire eaters will be distraction mostly, making my opponents think about positioning. Ideally, they'll work as a team with the fire eaters softening targets for Horthol/Longriders, and Horthol helping to clear anything engaging them.

So there you have it, hopefully it'll all work out. If not, well it's Borka, so I can always resort to liberal mace to face tactics
    Last edited by Vampiric22; 03-13-2015 at 05:16 AM.

Bristol Independent Gaming, Tides of Spring

This here is my tournament report for the second leg of Bristol Independent Gaming’s Tides of War. I decided to switch things up and use Circle Orboros this time. I took two lists – Kromac and Baldur1.

List 1 – Kromac

Kromac the Ravenous
    -Ghetorix
    -Gorax
    -Argus
    -Argus

Tharn Ravagers (Leader and 5 grunts) with Chieftain and Shaman
    Tharn Ravager White Mane

This list is designed to hit hard and fast, as well as be reasonably manoeuvrable around the board.

List 2 – Baldur1

Baldur the Stonesoul
    -Megalith
    -Woldwyrd

Warpborn Skinwalkers (Leader and 4 grunts) with Alpha
    Druids of Orboros (Leader and 6 grunts)
    Druid Stoneguard and Woldstalkers
    Blackclad Wayfarer

This list is designed to shoot – a lot, while the wolves form a bulwark that holds off the enemies’ main assault.

Game 1 Mercenaries

Gorten, Brun and Lug, Driller, 2 Gunners, Thor Steinhammer, Basher, Blaster, Herne and Jonne, Bokur, Gudrun

Mission: 8 Recon

Results First time ever playing Mercs, really. Wasn’t really aware of what they would do me. I went for Kromac for this game.

As the game started, I sent the Ravagers down the right flank, and Kromac’s battlegroup down the left. As the lines close, the Ravagers jump on the Blaster who had been sent to delay them, and tear it apart. Gudrun and the Bokur swing around my left, and Ghetorix peels off to deal with them, which he does with ease.

The Ravagers continue to push in, slaying Jonne, but Brun and Lug pull back from them. The Gorax and both Arguses (Argi? I’ll stop.) bring down the Driller. Sound like it’s going well for me so far? Yeah…

Gorten’s feat pushes Kromac eight inches sideways and he’s jumped by Lug and the Basher, killing him.

Ending Thoughts

Hmm. After reading Gorten’s feat, the possibility of being pushed out of zones seemed likely, and I also saw the ability to pull me in. The possibility of going sideways eluded me slightly. I did not see that one coming. In fairness, the opponent pulled a sweet move, using a Gunner to block my Argus from being shoved, keeping the charge lane open.

Sending Ghetorix after Gudrun was an error. I misjudged the distance, and he wasted a turn slaying them.

Game 2 Cryx

Skarre1, Satyxis raiders with UA, Satyxis Captain, 2 x 10 Mechanithralls, Necrosurgeon, Captain Blackbane and his ghost pirates, 2 Burrowers

Mission: 4 Fire Support

Results

I went for Baldur this time.

As the game progressed, Baldur’s feat slowed the onrushing Cryx. The Druids and Woldstalkers began to tear gaping holes in the line of Mechanithralls, and even managed to shoot the Necrosurgeon for good measure.

The Blackclad sprayed and rolled a 2 and a 3 to hit, so screw him.

The Skinwalkers shrugged off the Raiders reasonably well, despite their mini-feat, and began to tear through them. As she hung back, Skarre kept her focus pool high to prevent being sniped. Blackbane started being a problem, due to having my only non-magical unit fighting them!!

Megalith trampled through the Satyxis line and engaged Skarre. He couldn’t get through the ARM25, but he did debuff her with the weight of stone. Baldur slew a Raider and placed a forest around himself. The Wolds kept pulling back and killing Mechanithralls.

I then learned how nasty Skarre truly is. She killed Megalith, and under her feat and Dark Guidance, the Captain and a single Raider slew Baldur. But I can transfer to the Woldwyrd! “Isn’t it maxed on fury?” Fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu…

Ending Thoughts

Always leave an empty fury slot on your warbeasts!! Facepalm.

It comes down to this simple statement – as always, I stood my Warlock in a dumb place and he got killed. I have no idea why I thought he was safe. The rest of my army performed, though.

Funnily, the Burrowers went under on turn 1, and were never seen again!

Game 3 Cryx

Deneghra1, Slayer, Defiler, Ripjaw, 6 Mechthralls with Brute Thrall, Necrosurgeon, 10 Bile Thralls, 2 Pistol Wraiths, Skarlock

Mission 6: Incursion

Results

Now, finally an army I understood! I knew how it functioned. I opted for Baldur this time.

Starting was a little shaky, with my Woldshrimps missing with every single shot, but hey ho. The Blackclad managed to ambush a Pistol Wraith and take it down. The Skinwalkers tore apart most of the Mechanithralls.

The Ripjaw engaged Megalith, but didn’t do that much to it. In turn, Baldur stepped up and slew it, and then Megalith stepped forward and smashed the Slayer into kindling. The Druids and Woldshrimps shoot down seven of the Bile Thralls. I’ve got this one, I thought. I’ve got it.

WHY DIDN’T YOU CALL YOUR FEAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFU… GAH!!

Deneghra feats and literally everything converges on Baldur. The Brute Thrall, a Pistol Wraith, the Skarlock casting Venom, the Defiler. I transfer to the Woldwyrd (having learned my lesson), but the last Bile Thrall kills him. If my feat was off, it would not have connected.

Ending Thoughts

I have brought dishonour upon my house. I am full of shame. Shame and pizza. We ordered out for lunch.

Do you know, she pulled it off so well. I thought I was in a good place. I had two transfers, I had men on either side shielding me. But she saw the position better. Also, she has the best feat marker (check photo 3).

A sad loss, but the most fun game of the day.

Game 4 The Convergence of Cyriss

Syntherion, the Transfinite Engine, Optifex repair guys, that channeller dude, 2 Heavy Vectors, Three Light Vectors, Corollary, Servitors (Look, I’m not familiar, okay?)

Mission 5: Incoming

Results

Down to the bottom table for me! This guy was the Menoth player who beat me with Harbinger last time, so it was time for vengeance! Kromac, let’s go!

The Ravagers went for the enemy zone while Kromac went for mine. The Engine gets a bit too close and Ghetorix slams into it with the fury of… well, a big wolf, really and kills it in two blows. The Argus go play ball and tear down the servitors.

Syntherion hangs back a bit too much. While the Ravagers destroy a Light and Heavy vector and are then brought down, the Cyriss forces can’t contest Kromac properly. By dominating his zone, he slowly gains me points. Ghetorix and the other beasts form a line, bullying anyone out of my zone.

And as a last insult, my Whitemane survives a round of shooting.

Ending Thoughts

Basically, the enemy didn't advance enough to contest my zone. This allowed Kromac's battlegroup to get a secure footing while the Ravagers ran interference.

Last edited by Kurisu313; 03-16-2015 at 12:04 AM.

Ending Thoughts for the Tournament

In the end, I replicated my last showing, with three losses followed by a win. However, I did win ‘best in faction’! Probably because I was the only Circle player, but that’s beside the point…

My Warlock placement and feat remembering rear their ugly heads again. It’s so frustrating. I look at game 2 and cannot fathom what I was doing with Baldur there. If I’d placed the forest differently, I’d have been immune from a charge from the Captain. Hindsight is 20:20.

Optimus Pr… Megalith vs Skarre felt like a cool fight. Down comes the fist, wham! Dust is kicked up, only to reveal that Skarre has caught it an is about to kick his ***. Damn, she is a scary caster. I need to buy her.

My understanding is that Gorten is highly regarded, and I can see why. That feat is damnably versatile. Pushing or pulling as needed. If only I’d sent Kromac after Gudrun rather than Ghetorix, I’d probably have won. He’d have been safe, and Ghetorix could have tanked Lug. BTW, I <3 Lug so much. That model is adorable.

Deneghra… I’m mad, because I know everything you do, and yet, I let you happen. In fairness, my opponent was so nice it hurt a little. I felt bad, because I thought I was crushing her, but then she kicked my *** all over the wall. It was a little act of magic to see how unsafe I was in my position. If only I had feated. I need a foot marker to remind me.

Ah, the bottom table. The magical land where I can win. In fairness, positioning won me that game. I briefly held both zones due to non-commitment from Cyriss and then Kromac never let go. I win this time, John! Next time, we’ll settle things!

Lessons:

Stop standing your Warcaster in dumb places, you moron.
    Stop forgetting your feat, you moron.
    Don’t eat too much Pizza, YOU MORON!

I’ll let Ashley regale you with his tale himself. It’s been a long day, and I’m shattered. Two hours from Plymouth and back down. Fun was had, tears were shed, *** was kicked. Mostly min, but I digress.

Next stop – summer. Maybe gators. Though, I did just buy Xerxes2…

Bonus: Here's me receiving my Circle coin, for being the highest ranking Circle player. I was the only Circle player, but that's semantics.
    Last edited by Kurisu313; 03-18-2015 at 01:49 AM.

Feel a bit bad for Chris, I'd be engaging in turn three of my game and I'd see him wander over to my table already beaten.
    My day went better with 2 wins and 2 losses, with the losses being close call games that could have gone either way. Same mission layout as Chris's games so won't repeat

Game 1
    Played a legion list led by Vayl1, with a carnivean, raek, teraph and nephalim, backed by a pot and legionaires. He gave me first turn, so I sped everything forward towards the zone. In his turn, he advanced but didnt engage. This was a mistake, as he now had all his infantry ranked up in front of my fire eaters, which subsequently halved the legionaire unit and set the pot on fire. Over the next few turns I just blocked him out of the zone, scoring myself 5 control points to 0.
    Managed to get my skinner/beast synergy off perfectly this game too. Skinner engaged the teraph early on, and with the pyre troll's animus dealt a silly amount of damage to it.
    Game 2
    This set me against an Ashlynn Merc list, with a number of solos, boomhowlers, a mule, nomad and a unit of riflemen. Man 4+ tough is a slog to get through! Basically came down to a meat grinder in the centre, which left his numerically superior force free to re-position around the melee. Black oil and a focus laden nomad saw the end of Borka :/
    Game 3
    Faced the Skarre list that Chris faced, and man I can see why he had trouble. Feat turn saw wimpy infantry one shotting long riders and taking down Rok with ridiculous ease, despite wiping half the units out between bull rush and the fire eaters. Alas, I forgot my feat, though how much of a difference it would have made is debatable, since he had more than enough left over after killing my units for it not to matter. Skarre got herself a clear line to Borka, and despite several transfers he went down.
    Game 4
    Final game was a match up from hell...for my opponent. pSorscha backed by a Spriggan, doom reavers with greylord, ternions, widowmakers, a Koldun lord, a man-o war dragoon, a manhunter and an entirely useless feat.
    Despite best efforts, the khador force was taken down piece by piece, with Sorscha facing down Borka himself at the end. She was saved by dice down, but it was still a clear victory for the trolls.

Final thoughts:
    I'm really enjoying my list, and it either crushes the opponents or puts up a damn good fight. That said, without ARM boosts of any sort my caster feels somewhat vulnerable, even with DEF 14. Might consider trading a few things out for a krielboat and stone. Looks like I have playtesting to do!
    Once again it was a great event, with a friendly atmosphere and some brilliant opponents. Can't wait til summer!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast