Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Imperial Khador

Default Imperial Khador

So my Khador collection started with Karchev the Terrible. I looked at this limbless wizard in life sustaining power armor and said, "that description sounds like Darth Vader." Thus was my Khador paint scheme set. This is a really slow work in progress as I take forever to get anything painted and I'm not very good, but...

Warcasters:
    Karchev the Terrible (his post)
    Orsus Zoktavir The Butcher of Khardov
    Lord Kozlov, Viscount of Scarsgrad

Warjacks:
    Berserker
    Decimator
    Marauder
    Destroyer
    Juggernaut

Colossals:
    Victor/Conquest (AT-TE)

Units:
    Man-O-War Shocktroopers
    Winter Guard Infantry

Solos:
    Kovnik Andrei Malakov
    Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich
    Yuri the Axe

Group Shots:
    Karchev, Shocktroopers, and Berserkers

I call him Darth Terriblé

Last edited by Tesoe; 01-08-2017 at 08:32 PM.
    My Star Wars Khador,My Desert Retribution, MY Kiwis!
    Quote Originally Posted by xenwall View Post
    This just in, Tesoe is a horrible person who doesn't know what good things taste like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrue View Post
    My Tasty red pepper and Parmesan roasted hero!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charger View Post
    Tesoe is totally OP when deployed with Magnus, totally need to Errata the forum rules to prevent this terrible situation.

My Imperial Shocktroopers. The one with the metallic base is metal mold and the other one is plastic. The metallic based one is going to get rebased eventually.

Last edited by Tesoe; 03-17-2015 at 08:40 AM.
    This just in, Tesoe is a horrible person who doesn't know what good things taste like.
    Tesoe is totally OP when deployed with Magnus, totally need to Errata the forum rules to prevent this terrible situation.

I decided my warjacks were going to get a mostly grey paint job like Imperial walkers.

Last edited by Tesoe; 03-17-2015 at 08:42 AM.

Group photo!

Next up I'm working on a Kodiak. It's a rather boring theme with a lot of white, but I'm enjoying it.
    Last edited by Tesoe; 03-17-2015 at 08:43 AM.

Destroyer of Worlds HellecticMojo's Avatar

all the ranged jacks should be white like the storm troopers.

can't hit nuthin'
    Someone PM me after the game gets fixed.

I like it. The contrast between the white and black models is surprisingly striking. Not sure about the grey jacks, but it feels realistic somehow. I do think that some of the models would benefit from a bit more shading and/or highlighting. I find that black is especially in need of edge highlighting, otherwise the model just becomes one big shadow from across the tabletop. The MOW don't need it nearly as much as most of the panels are rimmed by metal trimming anyway, and the Berserker has enough shading that it looks OK already (although highlighting will probably make it "pop" at bit more).

By the way, kudos on having the guts to choose white as the main colour for your infantry!

Annihilator

For someone who says they are not good at painting an original idea for once in a colour scheme, and clean crisp painting so you are not bad slow maybe but a good painter

Destroyer of Worlds kommander_redfinger's Avatar

This is pretty cool, I may have to steal it for my own Khador army.

Very cool... I like it!!!
    My Axe is only the begining of your turmoil!

Wow, a lot more nice words than I expected. Thank you all. To address a could specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Samurai View Post
    I like it. The contrast between the white and black models is surprisingly striking. Not sure about the grey jacks, but it feels realistic somehow. I do think that some of the models would benefit from a bit more shading and/or highlighting. I find that black is especially in need of edge highlighting, otherwise the model just becomes one big shadow from across the tabletop. The MOW don't need it nearly as much as most of the panels are rimmed by metal trimming anyway, and the Berserker has enough shading that it looks OK already (although highlighting will probably make it "pop" at bit more).

By the way, kudos on having the guts to choose white as the main colour for your infantry!
    Highlighting would help the berserker. I'd do it, but i can't seem to brain whenever I try to highlight something. I'm a little torn on Karchev. I sorta like him being this ominous black doom creeping across the field, but he's a pain to photograph and Vader is shinier than he is.

Quote Originally Posted by wiking View Post
    For someone who says they are not good at painting an original idea for once in a colour scheme, and clean crisp painting so you are not bad slow maybe but a good painter
    Quote Originally Posted by kommander_redfinger View Post
    This is pretty cool, I may have to steal it for my own Khador army.

I always approve of more star wars references! Nicely done!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frey
    Moose don't get angry, they get even
    It is important to note that I am just awful at this game. Seriously, watching me play is like watching Keanu Reeves perform Hamlet. It's funny at first, but then starts to get quietly sad, until you just want to leave the room.

Does this mean the Manhunters are getting painted like Ewoks??

Seriously though... sweet paint jobs!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoogk View Post
    We've got star players saying things less intelligent than people I've considered trolls for years. We've got the trolls in some cases saying smart things.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmellyTerror View Post
    Any resemblance my posts have to "smart" is purely coincidental.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    But the party is the enemy! They're going to mess up the beautiful world you have crafted with their clueless murder hobo ways!They must be stopped at all costs!

Quote Originally Posted by MagnustheJust View Post
    Does this mean the Manhunters are getting painted like Ewoks??

Seriously though... sweet paint jobs!!
    I was actually thinking tusken raiders, but ewok might be funny too. I'm really torn on my cavalry. Speeder bikes seems the most appropriate, but I kinda want to put them on jet skis.

Initially I was looking at the pics without reading, then thinking, huh; why do these color palettes look so familiar...?

Star-dor, Khar-wars!
    Quote Originally Posted by Talhe View Post
    Squee, it is no exaggeration to say that you have single-handedly restored my faith in Khadoran 'jacks. Thank you.
    ai ar riter for webkomiks an ar gud at spelings en gremar. u can find mai komiks HEER (fantusee advenchur) an HEER (ackshun an cheezcaek!)

Quote Originally Posted by HellecticMojo View Post
    all the ranged jacks should be white like the storm troopers.

can't hit nuthin'
    I've heard this twice now and I'm considering it. I'm a little afraid it'll be to much white on the board though. I'd love to hear people's opinions. Especially since the juggernaut chassis kit is coming up on my backlog.

I'd suggest making the Jacks look more like TIE Fighters than AT-STs or AT-ATs, as the Empire's spaceships have just a bit more to offer in their color schemes other than just flat grey (plus you can throw in some Cryx Green to represent the TIE fighters laser weapons).

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicBanana View Post
    I'd suggest making the Jacks look more like TIE Fighters than AT-STs or AT-ATs, as the Empire's spaceships have just a bit more to offer in their color schemes other than just flat grey (plus you can throw in some Cryx Green to represent the TIE fighters laser weapons).
    This occurred to me as well. I've been thinking about it. Especially since I was going to make the gun carriage an AT-ST. I'm also planning to drive myself insane turning conquest into a quadruped whenever I get one. The only thing I could come up with for a TIE fighter look was grey body with black arms and grey detailing. It does seem like the most logical choice to giving each model type have a different style within the theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Tesoe View Post
    Highlighting would help the berserker. I'd do it, but i can't seem to brain whenever I try to highlight something. I'm a little torn on Karchev. I sorta like him being this ominous black doom creeping across the field, but he's a pain to photograph and Vader is shinier than he is.
    On this note and regarding the other thread (washes), since you are painting white I would not try to wash those models, doesn't come out too well (maybe a light wash would, but I've never tried). Painting black is pretty tough, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yertle4 View Post
    Oleg is the name, and making Cygnarans cry is the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuarnix View Post
    On this note and regarding the other thread (washes), since you are painting white I would not try to wash those models, doesn't come out too well (maybe a light wash would, but I've never tried). Painting black is pretty tough, too.
    I did some experimenting with a random steelhead I had and didn't like the way the wash came out on a white fig. Glad to hear it wasn't just that I screwed up the wash process. Well, I might have, but that's beside the point. :P

I wish it showed in the photos better but the shocktroopers are actually a little shiny. Since they are suppose to look like stormtroopers I used a satin clear coat on them to give them a slightly glossy look. The black base on the plastic on is painted with a gloss black spray and then modge podge pored in. It gives the bases a reflective depth similar to the deck plating in the death star.

This is Awesome. A Great Idea well executed. I second Soul Samurai's comments entirely.

I have two go to samples to reference when painting black armor. They remind me how to highlight black armor without making it look grey or blue:
    Man-O-War black armor sample: Manowar
    General Black Armor Sample: Captain Spud's Black armor

Have you considered adding some minor wear/weathering on your Berserkers? Perhaps Oils stains, slight rust, a dent here and there, and worn paint where it's frequently touched?

Oh man, the Cav on Swoop bikes or speeders would look awesome!
    Continuing to look for Warmachine and nWoD Mage games in South Central PA along 81.
    I build more than I play: Completed Minis - Custom Folding Swamp Table - Rifle case minis case - Ironclad Color Book - Custom Paint Rack

I did some experimenting with a random steelhead I had and didn't like the way the wash came out on a white fig. Glad to hear it wasn't just that I screwed up the wash process. Well, I might have, but that's beside the point. :P
    I would speculate that some kind of off-white wash might work (anyone else?), but I've never tried it (and don't plan to ). If you want to add some depth though, you can find a very light grey (I use Vallejo pale greyblue, I think the P3 analog is Frostbite? Not sure) for the recessed areas. The other thing that can help is to paint very very thin black lines on some of the edges.

On the whole it is looking pretty good

edit - these articles were pretty helpful for me when I started on my continuing journey to learn to paint black and white:

http://archive.brushthralls.com/pain...ing-black.html
    http://archive.brushthralls.com/pain...ing-white.html
    Last edited by Kuarnix; 02-03-2015 at 12:22 PM.

Great links guys! Wow, I am blown away out how helpful this thread is every time I open it. This is also making me want to get off my but and paint the rest of what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by lunavoco View Post
    Man-O-War black armor sample: Manowar
    That is the most beautiful MoW I have ever seen. I feel so completely inadequate and inspired by it.

Quote Originally Posted by lunavoco View Post
    Oh man, the Cav on Swoop bikes or speeders would look awesome!
    I'm thinking scout trooper style speeder bikes for the Uhlans and swoop bikes for Drakhuns. I'm also considering resculpting the Drakhun's bike into a dewback instead. Not sure what I'm doing with Vlad3's horse.

I would speculate that some kind of off-white wash might work (anyone else?), but I've never tried it (and don't plan to ). If you want to add some depth though, you can find a very light grey (I use Vallejo pale greyblue, I think the P3 analog is Frostbite? Not sure) for the recessed areas. The other thing that can help is to paint very very thin black lines on some of the edges.
    I tired washing with some thinned spacewolf grey as well. It didn't mess with the white, but it was almost impossible to tell it was there at all. I have more steelhead to sacrifice though, so one may be getting a wash with a regular grey mixed with white.

i really love the idea and Karchev in black is awesome

On the whole it is looking pretty good

edit - these articles were pretty helpful for me when I started on my continuing journey to learn to paint black and white:

http://archive.brushthralls.com/pain...ing-black.html
    http://archive.brushthralls.com/pain...ing-white.html
    Personally I haven't found a way to wash "cold" white, at leat not without needing a lot of cleanup after. I had a little more success with using Gryphone Sepia to shade "warm" white though. Those are great links, thanks for sharing them!

Your Karchev makes me want to go and assemble/paint mine...

Quote Originally Posted by exocorp532 View Post
    Your Karchev makes me want to go and assemble/paint mine...
    For the love of all that is holy, pin his skirt. I've come close to pulling my hair out over that thing.

I wish it showed in the photos better but the shocktroopers are actually a little shiny. Since they are suppose to look like stormtroopers I used a satin clear coat on them to give them a slightly glossy look. The black base on the plastic on is painted with a gloss black spray and then modge podge pored in. It gives the bases a reflective depth similar to the deck plating in the death star.

I have washed before and it was for pre heresy world eaters which as most people know are white. Still if you can avoid washing on white I always encourage it.
    Anatomically correct horses, is this where the brutal damage come from?

Dude, first off, I don't think your painting is bad at all. If you painted an army for me and it looked of this quality, I would be proud to field it. Second, Star Wars??? GENIUS! Darth Terrible, and the Shock troops as Storm Troopers? Brilliant! I love this army.

Download and play when you can't get to your FLGS!
    http://www.vassalengine.org/
    I game at: www.gryphongamesandcomics.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Necrohax View Post
    Dude, first off, I don't think your painting is bad at all. If you painted an army for me and it looked of this quality, I would be proud to field it. Second, Star Wars??? GENIUS! Darth Terrible, and the Shock troops as Storm Troopers? Brilliant! I love this army.
    You're so nice!

I'm currently working on a couple pieces I hope to post this weekend. My first real attempt at basing. Also my heaviest customization. They aren't Khador, but I hope they amuse people when I get them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrohax View Post
    Agreed; granted your painting methods aren't studio-fancy, but they're certainly neater and way more even than my paintwork.
    Squee, it is no exaggeration to say that you have single-handedly restored my faith in Khadoran 'jacks. Thank you.
    ai ar riter for webkomiks an ar gud at spelings en gremar. u can find mai komiks HEER (fantusee advenchur) an HEER (ackshun an cheezcaek!)

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    Agreed; granted your painting methods aren't studio-fancy, but they're certainly neater and way more even than my paintwork.
    I get a little obsessive trying to make my paint jobs neat and tidy. That means I go back and fix a lot of mistakes again and again, and sometimes fix the mistakes caused by fixing other mistakes. I about pulled my hair out when I over primed the plastic MoW. Luckily the primer looked real bad wet but dried alright. Having to prime at night means that happens a lot more than I'd like. Using to much clear happens a lot for the same reason.

I get a little obsessive trying to make my paint jobs neat and tidy. That means I go back and fix a lot of mistakes again and again, and sometimes fix the mistakes caused by fixing other mistakes. I about pulled my hair out when I over primed the plastic MoW. Luckily the primer looked real bad wet but dried alright. Having to prime at night means that happens a lot more than I'd like. Using to much clear happens a lot for the same reason.
    Better to prime in the day when the sun is out, morning or noon is best.

Never do it when the air is damp for example, it's raining.

Though, being in the tropics my climate is likely very, very different. We only have hot and humid or "dammit the roads are flooded again."

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    Better to prime in the day when the sun is out, morning or noon is best.

Never do it when the air is damp for example, it's raining.

Though, being in the tropics my climate is likely very, very different. We only have hot and humid or "dammit the roads are flooded again."
    Oh yeah. I'm aware. The problem is I go to work around dawn and get home after dark. If I waited for the proper time of day to prime or clear or paint in general then I would only be able to paint on the weekends I have off from work. And those weekends are the only time I have to get anything else done. Just never enough time in the day to do all the things. Once the seasons change and our days get longer it won't be such a problem, but for now I'm picking between the lesser of two evils. I don't prime of clear when it's raining, but luckily I don't have to deal with rain to often. One good thing about our 3 year drought here in California.

I have a similar problem (at least right now, in a couple of months the sun will be up later), so I just prime a bunch of models at once on Saturday/Sunday (usually enough for a month, hah). Of course waiting to work on something or missing the window sucks, but it's better than a bad priming job. The other thing you could do is use an airbrush to put on primer, they make these little airbrush stations with a fan that contains the spray. That way you could prime indoors.

I have a similar problem (at least right now, in a couple of months the sun will be up later), so I just prime a bunch of models at once on Saturday/Sunday (usually enough for a month, hah). Of course waiting to work on something or missing the window sucks, but it's better than a bad priming job. The other thing you could do is use an airbrush to put on primer, they make these little airbrush stations with a fan that contains the spray. That way you could prime indoors.
    I've been wanting to get or make something like that. Feels like it would be quicker and easier to get all this white paint on too. Right now I really need to get a better lamp to clamp to my painting desk. If anyone can recommend a good one I'm all ears.

Excellent work brah!
    Khador by Killax (2016-05 update)

So I had a bit of a brain fart. A freind sold me his half of the two player box a while back and the jacks were already glued. Since I'm building an magnetizing a regular heavy plastic kit I figured I'd break the glue on the other two jacks and magnetize them too. I had good luck with putting a nightwretch in the freezer to break it's glue, so I did that. I forgot that pewter and plastic do not react to cold in the same ways.

I've decided it will just stay as a destroyer and glued it back together. I didn't think I'd ever really need more than one of the juggernaut chassis in a list anyways.

Also, I hope to put up photos of that heavy kit this weekend of early next week. I've got Kovnik Andy all finished, but I'm holding off posting pictures because I'm mostly going to be partnering him with the heavy kit in lists.
    Last edited by Tesoe; 03-17-2015 at 08:46 AM.

I finally got a couple things finished! First up, Kovnik Andy! I decided to go with a light grey to go along with the uniforms worm by imperial walker command crews. I was very happy with how his gloves and boots came out. Silly I know. The reason is because taping them off was a pain for my big ol figures. I used a gloss coat on them. Then I taped them off and used a matte coat on the rest of him. It's only really stand out if you look at the hand holding the gun, but I'm still pleased with myself.

Last edited by Tesoe; 06-04-2015 at 11:03 AM.

Dat booty

Last edited by Tesoe; 06-04-2015 at 11:04 AM.

i love this army.
    instagram: drsergenpainting facebook: Drsergenpainting

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast