Destroyer of Worlds

Default How to deal with a tournament final game heading for a draw?

Last year's UK nationals ended up with a situation where if we had stuck to strict timings there would have been a draw at the end for the final due to healing and damage reduction.

There's nothing in the tournament rules to resolve it and you want a winner at the end so how would people suggest it should be resolved?

Some tournaments were using rules like count form kills, then current (so healing counts)damage dealt to break ties.

Choosing your other win condition ahead of time can affect the meta though as you may get more healers that will try to just kill one form and then turtle.

I think the idea where PP was pushing for 2 form kills was to make the games more active and less attrition based. Since agro is needed to get 2 form kills in the 55+ minutes. More mistakes will be made but it will be a more agro game.

Destroyer of Worlds

Problem with the final was both had ready access to healing so any damage was being healed almost instantly.

It may come down to SOS as last resort.

Zombie Conqueror

This is the one big flaw in the game. There's no mechanic that punishes non-aggression and turtling. Steamroller includes objectives centrally located that can be used to score points, creating an alternative win condition within the game. Monpoc as a timed, tournament game lacks this, so without any mechanism to force aggression, one player with access to unlimited healing can sit on their side of the map. It either results in a stalemate, or the other player loses their patience and crosses first, usually leaving themselves open to a big opening attack from the non-aggressive player.

From a strictly strategic aspect, it's an effective and successful tactic, but it sure doesn't seem to fit the theme of the game, and also isn't very fun to play. I looked at several options to prevent this...Killbox like rules, centrally located objectives, etc.

Also....I didn't realize there were any organized events still going on for Monpoc, so bravo for keeping the game going! But if you're going to continue, you should really come up with a way to force/encourage aggression in your events, or you will always run the risk of running into this situation.

Destroyer of Worlds

I run a yearly Monsterpocalypse tournament at Smogcon so it's going as long as Smogcon is. I'm very tempted to use SOS and make it so that any game that goes to time is auto loss for both players. That means that you can turtle as much as you like, but you will lose just as much as your opponent.

I like that. Elegant in its simplicity. "Sorry, the movie blew its deadline and now won't go to theaters at all."

---Dave
    Dave's Warmachine Miniatures Page
    Non-standard color schemes a specialty.
    Normal voice | Mod voice
    It's the job of the Fun Police to make sure your fun doesn't ruin someone else's.