Default [Heap] Alternate Pileup Rules

A little late to the game, but I just happened to pick this game up off the shelf a couple of weeks ago, and felt like sharing a few things.

Basically, my normal gaming group felt the game was pretty good, but the Pile Up at the end was so anti-climactic that it kind of let the game down a bit. Basically, you spend the whole game building up your vehicles with parts, only to (at the end) toss out all the parts for the end game, with the only difference between any two cars being turbo or non-turbo. It just didn't seem right really, so I set out to try some alternatives.

Obviously having all 4 vehicles rushing with all their parts would become a bit confusing and slow things down a lot, so the solution I settled on eventually was to essentially turn the pile up into an extended rush where you would rush your vehicles sequentially, as each got destroyed.

So, here's what I came up with.
    When the pileup is triggered, all vehicles with at least 3 parts on them are flipped to their turbo side. All players then discard down to 3 cards - they can discard more than this if desired, and draw until they have a hand of 3 cards.

At this point, each player chooses one vehicle to rush - the player then draws/discards the number of cards shown in pile up box of the vehicles card (1 card for non-turbo vehicles, for example).

The rush then starts from the person who started the pile-up, as normal. All rush boxes on part cards are able to be triggered on the rushed vehicle.

When a player cannot or will not block an attack, the vehicle in front of him is destroyed, with all parts - throw it on the scrap heap. Play then passes to the next player, who must defend against the attack instead, while the first player chooses another vehicle to rush if one is available (drawing/discarding per the pileup box).

Play continues in this way, until only one player has any vehicles remaining - they are the winner of the pileup, and the king of the heap.
    So the advantages here are that you get to keep using your parts boxes, and it turns the end game into quite a tactical game, as you decide which order to rush your vehicles in, and whether to answer attacks while you can, or let your vehicle be scrapped so you can hold onto a useful card to trigger another vehicles part. So far we've only played it once, but it certainly made the end game seem far more exciting - and destructive - than the normal pileup.

It does tend to make the pile up a fair bit longer though, as a player can go through a lot more cards (11 is the minimum for a player with all turbo vehicles, and probably up to 3-4 more from parts with some luck), but I feel this helps make it feel like a bigger climax for the game.

Anyway, that's just my little bit, if you have the game give it a go
    Last edited by maddermax; 08-20-2015 at 07:31 AM.
    Looking for a game in Brisbane, Australia? Come along to Pubhammer! The friendly club in a Pub! We meet every Sunday night from 6ish at The Junction, Annerley (opposite Ace Comics and Games). Feel free to PM me or look us up on Facebook (Pubhammer group page) for more details.

Destroyer of Worlds tutenkharnage's Avatar
    Crawling through the Undercity with the BRI

I need to think about this for a bit, but I like the sound of it.

Same. I was always a little letdown by the final rush to the pileup. Seemed like all your work to customize the vehicles went to waste.
    -PG_Askew
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania.
    Live in or near the Lehigh Valley (eastern PA, Western NJ)? Join the Facebook Group!

That's actually very similar to one of the versions that we had during the playtest process!

Every gaming group is a bit different, and the perfect game experience will vary between those groups. So if that's what you guys are having a lot of fun with, I'm glad to hear it.
    2003-2008 (Dacarnix): No Quarter contributor, playtest group lead, organized play writer, freelance game developer
    2008-2015 (PPS_DC): development manager at Privateer Press HQ
    2015-20XX (DC): infernal, No Quarter contributor, independent game developer

Quote Originally Posted by PPS_DC View Post
    That's actually very similar to one of the versions that we had during the playtest process!

Every gaming group is a bit different, and the perfect game experience will vary between those groups. So if that's what you guys are having a lot of fun with, I'm glad to hear it.
    Heh, interesting to hear that it was close to one of the playtest iterations, great minds think alike and all that I'm sure it'd be fascinating to be a fly on the wall at some PP game design meetings, to see how things actually shake out during playtesting.

I do see why you went for a super-streamlined version to an extent, to try an make it more snappy, though obviously as you say, different things please different groups, and I'm definitely a fan of an extended pile-up. Perhaps in future Bodgers games, if there's a few ways you can handle aspects of the game, you should consider putting in some "official" variant rules, just for variety
    Last edited by maddermax; 08-28-2015 at 06:43 AM.
    Looking for a game in Brisbane, Australia? Come along to Pubhammer! The friendly club in a Pub! We meet every Sunday night from 6ish at The Junction, Annerley (opposite Ace Comics and Games). Feel free to PM me or look us up on Facebook (Pubhammer group page) for more details.

Quote Originally Posted by maddermax View Post
    Heh, interesting to hear that it was close to one of the playtest iterations, great minds think alike and all that I'm sure it'd be fascinating to be a fly on the wall at some PP game design meetings, to see how things actually shake out during playtesting.

I do see why you went for a super-streamlined version to an extent, to try an make it more snappy, though obviously as you say, different things please different groups, and I'm definitely a fan of an extended pile-up. Perhaps in future Bodgers games, if there's a few ways you can handle aspects of the game, you should consider putting in some "official" variant rules, just for variety
    It's definitely something we discuss.

Usually, though, variants become Privateer Insider blogs or No Quarter articles rather than part of the official rules document.

Then again, I can't rule it out for the future. It just depends.
    2003-2008 (Dacarnix): No Quarter contributor, playtest group lead, organized play writer, freelance game developer
    2008-2015 (PPS_DC): development manager at Privateer Press HQ
    2015-20XX (DC): infernal, No Quarter contributor, independent game developer