Conqueror

Question Druids of Orboros - The Devouring

The druids of orboros officer's * attack The Devouring, states this:

The Devouring (★Attack) - The Devouring is a RNG 10, AOE 4, POW 8 magic attack. Add one to the POW of the attack for each model in this unit.
    Lets say we have a full unit, so 7 models in the unit.
    Ok on models directly hit its pretty obvious that the pow will be 15.

However on the models suffering blast damage its 1/2 POW. So I assumed it would be pow 15/2 = 8 (rounding up).
    However I stumbled across the rules for how to handle modifiers to 'stats'. And it appears you should first half the base stat (8) then add the +7 for a pow of (half of 8 plus 7) 11 on blast damage.

So which is it? In other words is the 'base POW' of the attack 8 or is it the 15 when a full unit is present?

Conqueror

Halve the base POW then add the modifier.

It is not halved first. The section on p. 33 below applies only to models' stats, and POW isn't this. Also, see the Q/A on Discharge, which has similar wording.

To determine a model’s current stat, start with the base stat and then apply modifiers in the following order.
    1. Apply modifiers that double the model’s stat.
    2. Apply modifiers that halve the stat.
    3. Apply bonuses that add to the stat.
    4. Apply penalties that reduce the stat.
    Last edited by Valander; 05-24-2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Corrected after comparing other rules
    Infernal from 30 September 2011 to 2 April 2014

Destroyer of Worlds

Valander, as you so correctly quoted, that rule applies to models' stats. Weapon stats are not model stats.

The Devouring tells you how to determine its POW. This is not a current POW or some such thing, it simply is the POW of the attack.
    It works exactly the same way as the Stormguards' Electrical Discharge. Determine the POW of the direct hit, then half for blast damage. (I.e., blast damage for the Devouring of a full unit is Pow 8 + dice)

This is opposite to the way abilities like Arcane Inferno work. Those add to the damage roll, and are therefore exempt from any halving POW rules.

Quote Originally Posted by vintersbastard View Post
    Valander, as you so correctly quoted, that rule applies to models' stats. Weapon stats are not model stats.

The Devouring tells you how to determine its POW. This is not a current POW or some such thing, it simply is the POW of the attack.
    It works exactly the same way as the Stormguards' Electrical Discharge. Determine the POW of the direct hit, then half for blast damage. (I.e., blast damage for the Devouring of a full unit is Pow 8 + dice)

This is opposite to the way abilities like Arcane Inferno work. Those add to the damage roll, and are therefore exempt from any halving POW rules.
    Hm, looking at that and kind of going through the AOE section, it appears you may be right. You wouldn't happen to have any links for the Discharge, would you? I would agree that it should work the same way, and AFAIK, that ability works as you describe, but I don't have my Cygnar book handy to see if there's a tactical tip or anything we can quote to "settle" it.

Destroyer of Worlds

This is from the old Mk I FAQ:
    Q: How do you calculate the blast damage for Electric Discharge?
    A: Add to determine the POW of the attack, then halve the total POW.
    I'm afraid I'm not able to procure anything more recent at the moment, with the problems the search function is suffering.

The Devouring (★Attack) - The Devouring is a RNG 10, AOE 4, POW 8 magic attack. Add one to the POW of the attack for each model in this unit.

I bolded the bit that's relevant there, looks to me like the POW is directly modified by models in the unit making a model directly hit take a POW 15 hit, not a base POW 8+7 and blast damage at POW 4+7.

Quote Originally Posted by vintersbastard View Post
    This is from the old Mk I FAQ:

I'm afraid I'm not able to procure anything more recent at the moment, with the problems the search function is suffering.
    That seems sufficient, to me, especially with re-reading the wording of Devouring.

Annihilator

This was rules during the field test that it would halve and then add the the modifier. but then again that was then and this is now.
    My advise to new players.
    When you build a list, build something that if you have to play it five times in a row plays five different ways. Otherwise you're going to get bored fast. It's about enjoying the game first winning comes later.

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by DonJean View Post
    This was rules during the field test that it would halve and then add the the modifier. but then again that was then and this is now.
    Do you have any proof for that? The only threads I was able to find (here and here) both come to the conclusion that maximum POW for a Devouring is 8. Admittedly, none had Infernal attention, but the answer was never contended either.

(And don't bother to look before the end of January, the Devouring was only added in the 1/29 Hordes update.)

You stack up the pow of the attack, then half it afterwards. It's weaker than the mk1 devouring, but the upside is that only one model is needed to make the attack. it gets more powerful for each druid in the squad, but no other druids are actually participating in the attack, just the UA. everyone else can go and do whatever they want. It's not a CRA.
    "If at first you don't succeed, label it version 1.0."

To determine a model’s current stat, start with the base stat and then apply modifiers in the following order.
    1. Apply modifiers that double the model’s stat.
    2. Apply modifiers that halve the stat.
    3. Apply bonuses that add to the stat.
    4. Apply penalties that reduce the stat.

Read all of the above. It says add one for each model in the unit. So if the unit is all intact, it would be 15. Blast damage would be haved to 4, then add the 7 to it. According to the rules as posted above, you would apply number 2 first, then number 4.

Blast damage isn't a modifier of a stat, its a different stat based on a stat. The pow is determined seperately from the blast damage. You'd apply all those rules to determine the pow of the attack, which would be 15. Then you'd determine blast damage afterwards, which is the pow(already determined), halved. You don't apply the addition from the models in the unit again, because you already did to determine the initial power of the attack.

It's the same as stats like PS, or control zone. They are stats determined by other stats, not stats by themselves. If you reduced a model's str by 2, it wouldn't reduce their str by 2, then reduce their PS by 2 again. You apply the modifiers once, and you apply it to the core stat.

The reason CRAs are different is because they add to the rolls, not the stat. This devouring would have to specifically say that you add to the blast damage(not the pow) for it to add after being halved.
    Last edited by Lanz; 05-24-2010 at 02:54 PM.
    "If at first you don't succeed, label it version 1.0."

Mike, I thought the same thing, but as vintersbastard pointed out POW of an AOE is not a model's stat. Also, the Electrical Discharge is worded the same (+1 POW per model in unit), and the FAQ indicates the halving is done last for this.

Annihilator

No Sorry I only have a printed out copy.
    My advise to new players.
    When you build a list, build something that if you have to play it five times in a row plays five different ways. Otherwise you're going to get bored fast. It's about enjoying the game first winning comes later.

First you calculate the POW of the attack. This is 8+7=15. Then you calculate the blast damage. This is 15/2, rounded up to 8.

The mk I devouring added to damage rolls, which comes after both calculations. The mk II one adds to POW, which is calculated before blast damage.

I think if the intent was to halve the pow then add 7 it would say "add 1 to the damage roll for each model in the unit" like the wording in Prayer: Fervor on the holy zealots.

Here's a relevant reference to prove by difference

Death Knell
    Before dealing damage, count the number of models in the AOE. Add the result to each Death Knell damage roll.

vs.

In the Death Knell situation its halved then added. In the Devouring situation because the models effect the POW, its added then halved.

I would agree. The wording says that it adds to the POW of the attack. That leads me to agree that it would be 15/2. If it added damage, then I would agree with the 4+7, but it doesn't say that it does.
    QUOTE (poeticruse @ Mar 27 2009, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    So please, think of the goats. Don't demand official answers.
    QUOTE (poeticruse @ Apr 16 2009, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    "fruitbatbananacoated"

Add first to get the correct POW value. Blast damage is 1/2 of that POW.

Thank you Mootaz for the info

(edited for spelling)

Quote Originally Posted by Subhedgehog View Post
    Or in terms the Farrow can understand: "Charge! Grooonk! Squee! Pew pew! Pew pew! Sooooouuuiiee! RAAAAAAH *crash*"