Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Courage of Caspia: Olannon's Competitive Cygnar Journey

Hello everyone! I have recently started a Cygnar blog where I will detail my competitive Warmachine/Hordes journey.

I will link reports here and I'm of course hoping for everyone's feedback Whether here on the forum or on the blog, any and all input you might have is greatly appreciated.

.::. Battle Reports .::.

For 2016 I'll simply link the reports in the update posts. See this link for a complete overview of my reports.

:: Convergence of Cyriss ::
    #36 - 50p Stryker1 vs Lucant (IA Mk. I Game 1) - click
    #20 - 50p Stryker1 vs Lucant - click

:: Mercenaries ::
    #18 - 50p Haley2 vs Fiona - click

:: Skorne ::
    #50 - 50p Haley2 vs Xerxis1 - click
    #27 - 50p Haley2 vs Makeda3 - click
    #26 - 50p Haley2 vs Makeda3 - click
    #16 - 50p Haley2 vs Morghoul1 - click

:: Legion of Everblight ::
    #45 - 50p Haley2 vs Lylyth2 - click
    #44 - 50p Caine2 vs Vayl1 - click
    #39 - 50p Haley2 vs Saeryn1 (IA Mk. I Game 4) - click
    #34 - 50p Stryker1 vs Vayl1 - click
    #25 - 50p Haley2 vs Vayl2 - click
    #24 - 50p Haley2 vs Vayl2 - click
    #23 - 50p Haley2 vs Vayl2 - click
    #15 - 50p Haley2 vs Lylyth2 - click
    #14 - 50p Haley2 vs Lylyth2 - click
    #12 - 50p Haley2 vs Lylyth2 - click
    #11 - 50p Stryker1 vs Vayl2 - click

:: Protectorate of Menoth ::
    #52 - 50p Haley2 vs Harbinger of Menoth - click
    #51 - 50p Haley2 vs Kreoss3 - click
    #33 - 50p Stryker1 vs Harbinger of Menoth - click
    #32 - 50p Stryker1 vs Kreoss3 - click
    #19 - 50p Haley2 vs Severius1 - click
    #13 - 50p Kraye vs Thyra - click
    #10 - 50p Haley2 vs High Reclaimer - click

:: Circle Orboros ::
    #43 - 50p Haley2 vs Krueger2 - click
    #40, 41 - 50p Haley2 vs Krueger2 - click
    #37 - 50p Haley2 vs Krueger2 (IA Mk. I Game 2) - click
    #35 - 50p Haley2 vs Krueger2 - click
    #31 - 50p Haley2 vs Morvahna2 - click
    #30 - 50p Haley2 vs Morvahna2 - click
    #22 - 50p Haley2 vs Morvahna2 - click
    #21 - 50p Haley2 vs Morvahna2 - click
    #9 - 50p Haley2 vs Krueger2 - click
    #8 - 50p Haley2 vs Morvahna2 - click

:: Cryx ::
    #49 - 50p Caine2 vs Asphyxious2 - click
    #48 - 50p Caine2 vs Asphyxious2 - click
    #46- 50p Caine2 vs Skarre2 - click
    #42 - 50p Haley2 vs Skarre2 - click
    #28 - 50p Haley2 vs Skarre2 - click
    #17 - 50p Haley2 vs Skarre2 - click
    #7 - 50p Haley2 vs Asphyxious2 - click
    #6 - 50p Haley2 vs Asphyxious2 - click

:: Cygnar ::
    #38 - 50p Haley2 vs Caine2 (IA Mk. I Game 3) - click
    #4 - 35p Haley2 vs Caine2 - click

:: Khador ::
    #5 - 35p Haley2 vs Butcher3 - click
    #3 - 35p Haley2 vs Butcher2 - click

:: Minions ::
    #2 - 35p Haley2 vs Dr. Arkadius - click

:: Retribution of Scyrah ::
    #47 - 50p Caine2 vs Issyria - click
    #29 - 50p Stryker1 vs Ravyn - click
    #1 - 35p Caine2 vs Issyria - click
    Last edited by Olannon; 01-01-2016 at 06:18 PM.
    Courage of Caspia, Cygnar Blog <- 29.01.2017 - Norwegian Masters Win (Stryker3/Nemo3)

I played a 1-day 4-round tournament with 36 participants today. The intro is up now: http://www.courageofcaspia.com/2015/...015-intro.html
    Courage of Caspia, Cygnar Blog <- 29.01.2017 - Norwegian Masters Win (Stryker3/Nemo3)

Report from Game 1, 2d6 Challenge is now up: http://www.courageofcaspia.com/2015/...ey2-vs-dr.html

Report from Game 2, 2d6 Challenge is now up: http://www.courageofcaspia.com/2015/...haley2-vs.html

Saw the results list over at 2d6, not bad overall, sad I missed it but family first...

well played first two games, familiarity with your own list is a big deal, and you certainly have that, making you do well even against unfamiliar opposition.
    That butcher2 list has some bad matchups in 35 points, and that assassination run was a lot of "ifs"

saw Eisenhorn won the whole thing, guess Bradigus is good then
    Impressively average

Report from Game 3, 2d6 Challenge is now up: http://www.courageofcaspia.com/2015/...vs-caine2.html

@SevenSins - Thanks

Jonas aka Eisenhorn took it home but I think he only played Bradigus once or twice. I think I saw Kromac twice. Game 2 I believe it was, he faced Cryx in an extremely clutch game which he barely won.

Overall, tons of quality games today. Fun times were had by all. Try and find the time next tournament

A couple of thoughts on the topic of risk management, including examples from a recent tournament game and the warmachine weekend finals between Brian White and Jordan Nach: http://www.courageofcaspia.com/2015/...t-risk-it.html

Important post to read for those following my reports: http://www.courageofcaspia.com/2015/...rrections.html

I have a game against Cryx tomorrow which I'm really looking forward to. Looks to be Haley2 vs Gaspy2 @50 points. Unsure of what my opponent will bring. Cryx is one of the armies I love playing against. Tricks and synergies are plentiful on both sides. It's a fairly even matchup where a slight mistake on both sides can easily be punished heavily.

I'll hopefully get a game in on Sunday as well, though it's by no means certain yet. I'll also try and get an old report up on Friday, a really cool game against Circle (Morvahna2) featuring crazy dice, grave mistakes, insane come-backs and a solo going completely berserk: Warmachine/Hordes at its best

Played 2 games tonight. The first report is up now: http://www.courageofcaspia.com/2015/...inst-cryx.html

The other report is now up as well: http://www.courageofcaspia.com/2015/...xious2-50.html

Posted up a game I played vs Circle a couple of weeks ago: http://www.courageofcaspia.com/2015/...vahna2-50.html

One of my closest games to date!

These are great. Your analysis is really good and makes reading them enjoyable.

Keep up the good work!

Just maybe play someone other than Haley 2
    2017 Play it Painted! 1 Casters and 40 points to go! : /

Legion - 20 points unpainted.
    Cygnar - 1 warcaster and 20 points unpainted.

Thank you!

As for playing tons of Haley2, there are multiple reasons: First and foremost Norwegian Masters are coming up in January and she will be my primary caster. I basically think I'll drop her into 5 out of the 6 games I play unless I randomly draw multiple hard counters. Secondly, I need to learn this game. I only started this August and there's tons to learn. I haven't even played against all factions yet (missing mercs and cyriss). I find that going with what I know helps me understand matchups and opposing armies. Lastly, I really enjoy playing Haley2 and there's tons of room for improvement in my current game with her.

I've also played games with Siege, Stryker1, Stryker2 and Caine2. Stryker1 will very likely be my second pairing for NM so I expect to get some games in with him in the near future as well. I don't expect to play any other casters than Haley2 and Stryker1 until NM is over though, but as soon as that happens I'll be exploring other casters in our arsenal

A detailed look at an assassination angle from today's game: http://www.courageofcaspia.com/2015/...revisited.html

I grew tired of not getting the images to be of a proper size: Either too big and thus out of the columns or too small and nigh impossible to get value from. I wrote some custom CSS to fix the issue but it's kind of hacky because the HTML-content is generated. If you see something weird, please report back to me either here or by PM. I hope the images work better now

I got in 3 games tonight. Stay tuned, interesting reports coming within a few hours

Haley2 vs High Reclaimer
    Stryker1 vs Vayl2
    Haley2 vs Lylyth2

Nice games, and you got to use power attacks! (...well....power attack..)
    Impressively average

And the third is up! http://www.courageofcaspia.com/2015/...ylyth2-50.html

EDIT: Yes, throwing stuff reveals itself to be a satisfying way to kill annoying warlocks

Thanks for these nice reports !

You're welcome If you have any feedback that would be greatly appreciated!

Had a quick game today vs Protectorate (fairly new player): http://www.courageofcaspia.com/2015/...-thyra-50.html

Hum, I like your latest batrep, as I'm fond of Kraye... But do you think that your build with Kraye can get through Bradigus (the "doublewall" build with Stryker1 was an answer to him) ?

That is a very good question. What I've found is that vision is a big problem vs Bradigus. Magesight allows Kraye's Stormwalls to both shoot down stones as well as charge Wolds behind the inevitable wall of trees. However the lack of invincibility makes both Kraye himself more susceptible to assassination and the Stormwalls significantly less durable. I definitely need to play the matchup and verify that Kraye has game here before replacing Stryker. I also need to play Kraye into Retribution (more specifically Ravyn tier and Vyros2 spam) to ensure that he has game into these builds as well.

I'm debating whether Storm Lances and Stormcallers are the best support units given the tasks I have for the list. I can't seem to find any solid alternatives. On one hand I really like Aiyana & Holt but this rules out big cavalry units and I can't seem to find a good replacement for the board control which the Storm Lances provide me with. Any thoughts on the matter?

Hum.... not easy to solve... What I can say, is that with two colossals, Ragman could be a good addition here... Death Field should be easy to apply, and the feat + Dark shroud sounds fun

Have you ever consider to replace Stormlances by Blazers ? I don't know how they survive vs Retribution (I fear Ravyn Tiers), but they maybe could offer an option of work-around (litterally) vs Bradigus : they can run turn 1 and 2, then start to harass Bradigus from the rear, while he has to face the two walls at the same time.

Captain Jeremiah Kraye - WJ: +6
    - Squire
    - Stormwall - PC: 19
    - Lightning Pod
    - Stormwall - PC: 19
    - Lightning Pod
    Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 3
    Stormsmith Stormcaller - PC: 1
    Ragman - PC: 2
    Tempest Blazers - Leader & 4 Grunts: 10

I did consider Blazers but I quickly put them down for a few reasons: With Flesh of Clay and Shield Guards I doubt they'll be very effective. Wolds also have that annoying ranged attack which can make their life miserable if I try to outflank. They are also highly vulnerable to Retribution.

Ragman is interesting but I think he is inferior to Aiyana & Holt to be honest. Aiyana's Stealth really is gold vs Retribution for example. Furthermore the effective threat range of Dark Shroud is limited compared to Kiss, doubly so considering that with full tilt and/or Kraye's feat, the Stormwalls could be far away. Lastly, Aiyana & Holt adds to the ranged assassination game significantly more so than Ragman: I believe double Stormwall opens up a ton of angles (ref. Stryker1 vs Vayl2 game-winning move) and they really amplify this aspect.

A possible solution is to simply reduce Storm Lances to 3 models. That gives me just enough points for said combo. I also think it increases my flexibility on the tabletop as Holt is quite an accurate and powerful little shooter, not to mention how much I can hurt stuff at a distance with kiss, guided fire and 2 focus to each Stormwall (that is a total of 4 POW17 shots with boosted attack -and- damage rolls. Wow!). The more I think about it the more I would like to try this out The question of course is how effective 3 Storm Lances are. That remains to be seen. I also need more experience against typical ARM-skew factions like Trolls to determine whether Haley2 can deal with this or if this is something my secondary list is supposed to dive into as well (and in turn how effective min vs max Storm Lances are here).
    Last edited by Olannon; 11-26-2015 at 09:14 AM.

I did consider Blazers but I quickly put them down for a few reasons: With Flesh of Clay and Shield Guards I doubt they'll be very effective. Wolds also have that annoying ranged attack which can make their life miserable if I try to outflank
    It has to be tested, but event with Flesh of Clay, and Shield Guards, Bradigus has to soak up 5 boosted POW 10 AND 4 boosted POW 15.. it could be a bit tricky for him, and at least, it can dictate the moves of his army : either they brick around to deny LOS/apply Shield Guard, or they split to kill the Blazers.

Now, it's true the Blazers are more vulnerable to Retribution than Stormlances.

About Ragman, again, you're right about the fact that the Stormwalls could be far away with Full Tilt on, and thus Death Field may be difficult to apply to both Stormwall... it can demand playtest and training to position him adequately, but I really think there is a room for him here, especially if you're are starved in army points.

I'm not sold on min unit of Storm Lances.... with the very first loss, their impact will be greatly reduced. And it's very annoying to spend Easy Rider for just 3 models you want to position to the right place.

All true and good points. Playtesting needed I'll see if I can get a few games in with Kraye next week.

I'll look forward to your next reports !

2 games haley2 vs lylyth2 adr. Reports will come as soon as possible

An in-depth analysis of an alternative approach to yesterday's game 2 - http://www.courageofcaspia.com/2015/...e-support.html

Looks like I am getting something like 3-4 games today! Skorne and cryx are confirmed thus far stay tuned!

Skorne, cryx, mercs, menoth. Reports coming

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast