Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Courage of Caspia, Cygnar Blog <- 14.11.2016: European Invitationals Win!

An interesting bunch of reps, still impressed by the number of games you manage to get in (jealous is probably more accurate )

mercs have traditionally been dependent on light infantry which todays meta tend to mulch, but other builds have been showing up. The biggest problem is probably more a lack of dedicated merc players... I hear good things about ossrum, being a very strong ranged assassin, and often paired with cephalyx being an impressively hard hitting dudespam.
    Galleon is an excellent colossal, but when meleed by a 4 focus stormwall.... Not good
    Impressively average

@SevenSins - Sometimes, getting lots of games is easy. Sometimes it's not. I've been lucky with the timing recently, it goes up and down

As for Mercs, I'd love to see some of their strongest builds and preferably play them, but as you say the dedicated Merc players are few and far between. I'll keep my eyes out!

Game 4 - Butcher3: Maybe you could have deployed your Stormwall to the right of the objective. You're almost always going to want to use the hill for improved target selection, so the benefit of not having to go around the objective outweighs being slightly further from things which move to the left side of the objective.

Also, why did you advance Stormwall up so far T2? It seems like you only needed to toe the zone? You have such good guns you don't need to close the distance any faster.

Did your opponent realise your Black 13th could see through Stealth? The Eliminators would probably would have been better off hiding in the back field until late game. With you having the perfect hill though, it would have been difficult to find a safe location for them. Not a great match-up for them!

With Ruin deep in his formation, did the Khador player have any morale issues?
    Last edited by Lacerto; 11-29-2015 at 03:53 PM.

Thanks a lot for the reply

Let's see, my last game for Challenge. Ok so the Stormwall was dropped so that my opponent couldn't inherently know which side I'd prefer Haley to be on. The thing is that people intuitively believe that the colossal determines where my caster drops, at least that is my experience. Indeed I got Butcher on the opposite side in this game and with the Stormwall being able to move a lot with Haley the few inches left or right is not important in this matchup I believe.

Going up T2 was to be able to take out Madelyn, which I failed to do because I messed up. I also wanted to physically block the IFP from going in shield wall towards Haley. Not super important, but a nice side effect.

I specifically told my opponent that Lynch had True Sight, AoE 5" light-up and that Ryan had Mage Storm. I believe he went up anyway simply to prevent me from wrapping around, which in all fairness is ok I believe.

As for Ruin, I don't think he caused any problems. I probably forgot to remind him because given its positions I believe there should've been a few tests. He might have made them though, I don't remember.

First game vs convergence today, finally I have faced all factions I played stryker1 into father lucant, interesting game with report coming up as soon as I have time!

Report is now up: Stryker1 vs Father Lucant - http://www.courageofcaspia.com/2015/...lucant-50.html

2 games vs morvahna tonight, reports coming in a couple of hours

5 games today, 3 vs legion and 2 vs skorne. Reports will come

Incredibly close game vs Skarre2 today. Report coming!

Thanks for all the batreps, Olannon! I'm a little jealous of how much Warmachine you get to play.

Hey Sam, good to know someone's reading If you have any comments I'd love to hear them as well!

I like to play a lot and I am lucky to have a very active community. I nearly always find someone to play against when I have time and want to play. Our gaming club is open 24x7 which makes it a dream to play a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Olannon View Post
    Ok so the Stormwall was dropped so that my opponent couldn't inherently know which side I'd prefer Haley to be on. The thing is that people intuitively believe that the colossal determines where my caster drops, at least that is my experience. Indeed I got Butcher on the opposite side in this game and with the Stormwall being able to move a lot with Haley the few inches left or right is not important in this matchup I believe.
    Hmm, I'm going to have to start thinking more like this with Butcher3. He really is a monster. Just like jamming a stick in your opponent's eye!

Quote Originally Posted by Olannon View Post
    I specifically told my opponent that Lynch had True Sight, AoE 5" light-up and that Ryan had Mage Storm. I believe he went up anyway simply to prevent me from wrapping around, which in all fairness is ok I believe.
    Hmm, I guess there's no particularly good solution for him, but I don't really like this one. Eliminators really are the glassest of cannons.

So the baby was up for several hours last night. Good news, I got to read your Caine2, Morvahna2, Lylyth2 and Asphyxious2 reports. I really like the level of detail about the casters, the specific tactics you're defending against, and the plays you want to make, whether or not it actually goes that way.

I've never played Haley2, only heard all the podcasts moan about/celebrate how powerful she is, how the nerf neutered her, how the nerf was fine, etc. So it is really interesting to hear your thoughts, without too many assumptions about how the match-up will be, stating tactics that are common, etc. And also your fears... I guess it must seem to your opponents that you just stomp them, but it is interesting that it doesn't necessarily seem that way to you. It is also really reassuring to hear the unfiltered truths about the little lapses and mental errors that scourge a real game! I too chastise myself, but kind of expect to be doomed to repeat my mistakes!

I found your description of playing Morvahna2 very helpful, as I played her quite recently, and found similarities there. The Bloodtrackers are pretty much a gotcha if you've never played against prey before. Running away is a great answer if you can do it!

Hey Lacerto, thanks for your indepth reply! I really appreciate the feedback

Coming from Warhammer, Warmahordes appears to be very well balanced. Sure there are skews and strong combinations here as well as stuff that's downright just bad, but in all fairness it is my experience that skill matters more than the nature of the matchup, in by far the most cases. What remains of poor balance (or whatever you want to call it) is in my opinion somewhat irrelevant to spend time considering. It is what it is and we have to deal with what's at hand. Sure, I too get frustrated when some of the nastier things in this game plain and simple just kill me, but dwelling on the subject won't help me. It's a destructive task I believe. Let's assume I agree that Lylyth is broken for the sake of argument. So what? I still have to play against her. Agreeing on her being broken helps me absolutely nothing. If anything it takes away my focus (no pun intended) from figuring out a way to effectively deal with her.

As such, I try to keep my reports as objectively written as possible. I often revisit them myself to look up what happened in situation X: Perhaps it'll give me insight later on when I'm considering taking that second Stormwall with Haley for example. Likewise I think it's very important to consider the game from the other side of the table as well and I've only just begun to get a good overview of what's actually played in this game. I am still lacking on a couple of factions (I have less than 10 games combined against Khador + Trolls for example) but it's a start. I also hope this makes it more interesting for the non-cygnar players to read

While I have racked up a good win/loss ratio thus far I don't really consider it important. I'm new to the game and I don't have any ambitions for the first part of 2016. As of now it's all just practice. Most of my opponents feel the same way (the vast majority, like me, started in August this year) and we try to make the games as meaningful as possible, going through what happened and our thoughts afterwards etc. We are a competitive group and all enjoy this aspect of the game. Others make mistakes that I capitalize on but so do I. In most of my losses thus far, Haley has died because I made a mistake I should not have. Only now am I starting to get to the point where Haley dies because of a calculated risk I shouldn't have taken for example. That feels better at least, if you know what I mean? I should also note that in most of my wins there were counter-plays that I feared that rarely occurred and/or glaring mistakes that I was both able to see and capitalize on.

It's a little hard knowing exactly what games you're referring to. The Morvahna example sounds like it's from the most recent pair of games I had vs Circle when I simply ran Thorn across the table (#21 - http://www.courageofcaspia.com/p/battle-reports.html). I'm happy to revisit and discuss specifics - both good and bad - from any games, please refer to the number (that's mostly what I use it for) so I know which game we are talking about

Stryker1 vs ravyn tier tonight. Report coming!

Combatant

Olannon its great to hear your thoughts on the games as I only get to play occasionally and I'm running similar armies.

I understand that the change to ATGM from Trevy's H2's list was more in your style of play and gave additional board control?

Both yes and no. When I started out playing Haley2 I had more troops than I do now. My first list incorporated Sword Knights + ATGM. The idea with Sword Knights was to have them counter-jam and buy me time, e.g. vs Satyxis Raiders. They performed this job wonderfully, with flank[warjack] they can be really nasty since Thorn is so flexible and Stormwall has such a big base (thus covering a lot of area). What I found however was that they had certain matchups where they were just dead weight. Furthermore I saw in Trevy's reports that he was able to utilize Thorn in kind of a similar role in terms of anti-jamming (setting him up with arcane shield + covering fire for example) so I decided to move in his direction and leave them at home (this freed up points for Alexia and I upgraded Gorman to TAC). I haven't looked back since. The important part is that I didn't ever actually play Trevy's list so it's not a direct change per se, it's more that I started somewhere different and converged towards his ideas. I have thus far been unwilling to leave ATGM at home because I really value their board control capabilities. From taking out annoying Druids of Orboros etc to pushing stuff out of zones I just find them extremely valuable.

It could be a playstyle thing, it could be a meta thing, it could also be a skill thing (i.e. their value might decrease on higher levels because the games simply are different when both players have a lot of skill and Trevy is definitely above me as of now). I'm open to the idea that A+H and Gastone is better (though my first choice would be to try our new solo-combo, ebrea and lynus), indeed I see it from an attrition point of view, and I might try this out in the future.

2 games vs morvahna2 today. Here is the first: http://www.courageofcaspia.com/2015/...vahna2-50.html

2 games vs menoth today. Reports will come

First one is up: Stryker1 vs Kreoss3 - http://www.courageofcaspia.com/2015/...reoss3-50.html

Second game report is up as well: Stryker1 vs Harbinger of Menoth - http://www.courageofcaspia.com/2015/...harbinger.html

Long game Haley2 vs Krueger2 today. Report coming!

Mini-tournament today with 14 people. 4 games, reports will come

2 games vs circle today. Reports will come

Reports combined into a single post: http://www.courageofcaspia.com/2015/...-krueger2.html

Enjoy

PS! If any Circle gurus are reading this, please weigh in on the topic of Krueger2 vs Haley2.

2 games today: Haley2 vs Cryx and a new Haley2 list vs Circle Reports coming!

First game. Traditional Haley vs Cryx: http://www.courageofcaspia.com/2015/...karre2-50.html

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast