Destroyer of Worlds tutenkharnage's Avatar
    Crawling through the Undercity with the BRI

Default Questions about chapter 4 and that damn crane

A few questions came up during a play-through of “Chapter 4: Off the Hook." I'm posting them all in one place to facilitate forum searches.

• What happens if the Ringleader ends up targeting a knocked down hero in a square with standing villains, and he has to move the crane hook into the square to attack? For example, suppose Gardek is the closest hero to the Ringleader. One of the heavy ‘jacks activates at Initiative 2, charges Gardek, and knocks him down because the player picked Great Strength: Mighty instead of Great Strength: Steady on his turn. The next round begins with an Event card that triggers the boss, who targets Gardek with the crane, which is within two spaces of the knocked down trollkin. According to page 14 of the campaign guide, "If the crane hook is moved into a space, make an attack roll against each character in the space that is not knocked down." Does the Ringleader drop the crane hook, even though he will only roll against the heavy 'jack? Does he pick another target? Does he move the crane hook into the target square but skip his attack?
    • What happens if the Ringleader is not in the control space and does not have a hero in his square? According to page 14 of the campaign guide, "When the Ringleader activates, he makes an attack against a hero in his space. If the Ringleader activates in the control space and there is no hero in the space, he attacks with the crane hook." But Gardek and Canice have means of moving the Ringleader out of that space and giving him nothing to do, assuming he's limited to attacking a hero in his space or attacking with the crane hook. So what does he do in this case? Does he walk back into the control space and use the crane hook if he can? Does he attack the closest hero? If so, does he prioritize the control space? Does he follow the tactics icons on his card?
    • How does the rule about moving the crane hook "one additional space" work? The Ringleader is supposed to target the closest hero, using highest Health as a tiebreaker. According to page 14 of the campaign guide, "When the Ringleader moves the crane hook it moves up to two spaces toward the target, following the shortest path. If there is more than one shortest path and only one passes through a space with a hero, the crane hook follows that path. If the crane hook has moved only one space after the Ringleader moves it into a space with a hero, it moves one additional space toward the hero with the highest Health that is next closest to the Ringleader." Does this mean that it continues to move toward the original target but that it will now travel up to three spaces to do so? Or does "the hero with the highest Health that is next closest to the Ringleader" mean that the target switches from the closest hero to the second-closest (i.e., “next closest”) hero instead? And if so, what happens if the second-closest hero is in the first space the crane hook moves into?

Thanks!

1 = The hook is a haphazard weapon. If the Ringleader swings it at a knocked down Gardek, it misses him and might hit anyone else standing in the space. Getting the ringleader to mash his own dudes with the hook is a big part of that chapter.

2 = I'll errata that section. Until then, he should charge toward the control space if he can't follow the other two instructions, stopping and making a melee attack if he enters a space with a hero. If he charges into the control space and there is no hero there, he doesn't activate the crane since he didn't start his activation there.

3 = The "one additional space" is only used "If the crane hook has moved only one space after the Ringleader moves it into a space with a hero,". It moves that additional space "toward the hero with the highest Health that is next closest to the Ringleader". Since the crane hook can't move into a space it was already in the turn, heroes in those spaces are not valid targets.

I think I'm still missing something critical regarding #3. If I understand you correctly, the "one additional space" rule comes into play only in connection with the preceding paragraph in the campaign guide.

When the Ringleader moves the crane hook it moves up to two spaces toward the target, following the shortest path. If there is more than one shortest path and only one passes through a space with a hero, the crane hook follows that path.
    In other words, if the Ringleader's target is only one space away from the crane hook at the beginning of the Ringleader's activation, he will move the crane hook into the target's space and immediately attack all figures in that space that are not knocked down. But if the target is two spaces away from the crane hook, and one of the intervening spaces contains a hero, the crane hook will move into that space first and then move "one additional space toward the hero with the highest Health that is next closest to the Ringleader." So it basically acquires a new target: the second-closest hero, again using highest Health as a tiebreaker. And that target can't be the hero in the first space into which the crane hook moves (assuming I'm understanding "heroes in those spaces are not valid targets" correctly).

Is that right? If not, which part of the rule am I misunderstanding?

Another scenario came up tonight: a Villain Action card activates the Ringleader. Gardek is closest to the Ringleader, so he's the target. The crane hook is four spaces away from Gardek. There are two paths to Gardek, one of which passes through Canice's space, so the crane hook follows that path. The first space is clear, but the second space is Canice's space. The Ringleader can't change targets, right? So the crane hook settles into Canice's space, but the Ringleader doesn't attack?

Another scenario came up tonight: a Villain Action card activates the Ringleader. Gardek is closest to the Ringleader, so he's the target. The crane hook is four spaces away from Gardek. There are two paths to Gardek, one of which passes through Canice's space, so the crane hook follows that path. The first space is clear, but the second space is Canice's space. The Ringleader can't change targets, right? So the crane hook settles into Canice's space, but the Ringleader doesn't attack?

Appreciate an answer to this question since we are about to play this chapter...
    R.I.P. Greedo1379 (1980-2006)...We'll miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by Macavity View Post
    Appreciate an answer to this question since we are about to play this chapter...
    Having had a chance to look at this again, I'm pretty sure the Ringleader moves the crane two spaces into Canice's space, and it just sits there. The target in this case is Gardek, not Canice.