Destroyer of Worlds Martyr of the Cause's Avatar

Default Unorthodox Engagements

So, as I mentioned elsewhere, my wife and I have been play-testing a home-brewed High Command Campaign (i.e. 15 Winds of War and 15 Locations). We've now got about a dozen games with it under our belt, with a variety of factions, and refined many of the cards to the point where I feel good about where things are going.

SO, I now present the ongoing cut of our Campaign Expansion: Unorthodox Engagements!

EARLY:
    Expedited Procurement [x2] (you may Bank the first card you purchase this turn)

Resourceful Thinking (you may Purchase or Deploy your first card this turn using CMD, WAR, or any combination of the two)

Reconnaissance (at the start of your turn look at the top 5 cards of your Reinforcement Deck, then return each card to either the top or bottom in any order)

Espionage (at the start of your turn choose 1 card in the Reserves of the opponent on your left to be Refreshed)

MID:
    Resourceful Thinking

Espionage

Back Channels (before you draw cards at the end of you Orders Step you may Bank 1 card from your discard pile; if you do, after you draw cards, discard 1 card)

Daring Scheme [x2] (you may Refresh 1 card; if you do, draw 1 card)

LATE:
    Back Channels

Grand Scheme (you may draw 2 cards; if you do, Refresh 2 cards)

Stalemate [x2] (at the start of your turn, draw 1 card, and skip your Capture Step)

Hour of Reckoning (as per Faith & Fortune; the game ends, and each player gains 2 VP per card at a location)

LOCATIONS:
    Hidden Cache [x3] : C3 W3 V5 (when you capture this location you may search your Reinforcements for a card, replace a card in the Reserves with it, then shuffle your deck)

Warfront Crossroads [x3] : C2 W2 V6 (reduce the cost to Rush Warrior, Warjack, or Warbeast cards to this location by 1 CMD or 1 WAR, to a minimum of the Purchase cost)

Covert Base [x3] : C2 W3 V7 (you must discard an additional card as part of the Rush cost when rushing a Warrior, Warjack, or Warbeast to this location)

Urban Sprawl [x3] : C3 W2 V8 (you must have 3 more cards at this location than any opponent to capture it)

Untapped Mine : C0 W4 V5 (you may immediately capture this location if you control 3 or more Warjacks and/or Warbeasts here)

Observation Tower : C4 W0 V7 (When you discard this card for Resources, you may look at the next card of the Winds of War deck, then return it face down)

Orgoth Ruins : C4 W4 V9 (At the start of an attack at this location, all cards at this location suffer -1 Health)

I wanted there to be a somewhat cohesive theme, so as I continued to brainstorm on card ideas I eventually started to narrow in on a black-ops style story where battles are fought in the shadows of greater conflicts. The Winds of War have a lot to do with Banking and Refreshing, with a little bit of draw in there to keep the pace going.

The Locations have some which are harder to fight at (Covert Base, Urban Sprawl, Orgoth Ruins), and some that are even easier to have certain sort of fighting at (Warfront Crossroads, Untapped Mine). The Hidden Cache brings in a mechanic I have really wanted to see applied more generally: searching the Reserves for a specific card. The Observation Tower was a late-addition to the Locations, but I like the idea of having this potential for seeing what is coming next turn (so far it's been hard to make a lot of difference, but the principle is cool to me).

Right now we just proxy these cards with a print-out of the rules for what they do on the side. As I mentioned, we've played about a dozen games with this now, and it's quickly become our favorite High Command campaign. We're hoping to get in some 3+ player games in the near future with it as well, and see how well the balance holds up.

For those looking to shake up their High Command play with something new, please feel free to give this homebrew campaign a try. If you have any feedback from your play experiences -- positive or negative -- please feel free to share them here.

High Command seems to be largely dead in terms of Privateer Press putting out new stuff ... but that doesn't mean that new additions to the game can't be made anyway
    The Eternally Loyal,
    Martyr of the Cause

Destroyer of Worlds

Awesome! That all sounds super cool.

Destroyer of Worlds Lord Azathoth's Avatar

Nice job! I really like some of those Winds of War cards

Destroyer of Worlds Martyr of the Cause's Avatar

Thanks
    We've enjoyed it quite a bit. The extra cycling power is very nice to get through to your most-optimal cards. That this happens simultaneously for both players keeps it in line.
    The Eternally Loyal,
    Martyr of the Cause