Social Media Coordinator PPS_Valerie's Avatar

Default OFFICIAL: On the topic of Spoilers

Hello, everyone. We wanted to address the topic of spoilers, as the subject has surfaced recently. In the tabletop industry, (or any industry, really) spoilers happen. Leaked images, snippets of rules text, etc. The problem with spoilers is just that, they spoil. Often is the case that they’re not a complete picture, or contain erroneous or incomplete information. This often leads to panic when folks start to speculate on game changes with only the limited information they have, causing confusion and anxiety.

When Soles, Hungerford, Shick, or other Privateer Staff answer questions here or via Insiders you’re getting not only much more reliable information, you often also get a much better sense of context. On the forums you have the ability to speak with game developers and other staffers about these changes and have your questions answered right from the source.

It’s also important to know that posting links to 3rd-party spoilers is a violation of our forum Terms of Service and potentially copyright law, (these will continue to be removed by PP Staff and Moderators and can result in corrective actions). Outside of that, you may also be spreading false information, which doesn’t improve anyone's play experience.

We love how passionate our community has always been, and we appreciate how excited everyone is to start playing the new editions of WARMACHINE and HORDES. We ask that you leave the previews and releases to Privateer Press, because that’s info you know you can take to the table!

Judge

Well said! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS_MrSoles View Post
    Before anyone freaks out all Protectorate-style, WAIT UNTIL YOU READ THE RULES AS WRITTEN.
    Judge since August 4, 2014

Hmmm implies that the leak may be beta stuff with out directly saying so. So maybe it is real, or at least partly so? Meh it was all the expected nerfs anyway.

Now about that Insider for today and/or Primcast 32? Shoot even another AMA in the merc thread would be great...

PPS_Valerie: Since the casters are spoiled in this month's NQ and people apparently already have them, I take it those sorts of spoils are more acceptable since they are PP direct info on the same level as Insiders?

The other cards spoiled around totally scream playtest or rougher versions and it makes sense that they don't give a proper picture.
    When life gives you lemons, you kill all humans.
    I play Retribution of Scyrah and Circle Ouroboros
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncymischa View Post
    I keep thinking about the Merc forums, and their determination to stuff any lemons they have into their enemies' eyes. They'll take whatever they get, play it, and have fun with it. I don't see any reason the Retribution can't aim to do the same.

Will the spoilers/leaks have an effect on PP providing us with the rather awesome official spoilers and the follow up interaction on the forums?

TBH, I've never had a game company where the developers would respond to questions and drop additional rumors on the forums, and it's been really great.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Magoslich View Post
    PPS_Valerie: Since the casters are spoiled in this month's NQ and people apparently already have them, I take it those sorts of spoils are more acceptable since they are PP direct info on the same level as Insiders?

The other cards spoiled around totally scream playtest or rougher versions and it makes sense that they don't give a proper picture.
    Good question! We're fine with folks discussing something revealed in NQ because that's information that came officially from Privateer

a lot of those spoilers I seen also look fake too, so the credibility is questionable.
    Skorne: 169/438 Points Painted 5/7 Warlocks Painted
    Skorne MKII 16W/5L MKIII 0W/0L
    2016 is the year of getting all my Skorne models painted!

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooBoyz View Post
    Will the spoilers/leaks have an effect on PP providing us with the rather awesome official spoilers and the follow up interaction on the forums?

TBH, I've never had a game company where the developers would respond to questions and drop additional rumors on the forums, and it's been really great.

Thanks
    No worries, we will still be providing information and early reveals through NQ and our Insiders, and our Staffers are will still be there to answer questions

Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Valerie View Post
    Good question! We're fine with folks discussing something revealed in NQ because that's information that came officially from Privateer
    Thanks for responding! I'm glad the NQ info is ok to discuss, I'm going to go back to getting hyped over Magister Vahr.
    When life gives you lemons, you kill all humans.
    I play Retribution of Scyrah and Circle Ouroboros
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncymischa View Post
    I keep thinking about the Merc forums, and their determination to stuff any lemons they have into their enemies' eyes. They'll take whatever they get, play it, and have fun with it. I don't see any reason the Retribution can't aim to do the same.

... The problem with spoilers is just that, they spoil. Often is the case that they’re not a complete picture, or contain erroneous or incomplete information ...

... When Soles, Hungerford, Shick, or other Privateer Staff answer questions here or via Insiders you’re getting not only much more reliable information, you often also get a much better sense of context. On the forums you have the ability to speak with game developers and other staffers about these changes and have your questions answered right from the source ...
    While the official spoilers reveal accurate information they are surely not in any better context. How many times has the PP Staff hedged themselves with something along the lines of "don't worry it's hard to understand X change without seeing the whole picture" in the last two weeks? You want to talk about creating anxiety and panic... the way you are disseminating information is the cause of it. You really should have just released the information all at once or at least with much, much more "context.''

I know there will be varying opinions on this, but for me I personally think your marketing hype tactic is completely unnecessary. I am not buying or painting models in anticipation, I am on hold waiting to see how everything shakes out before I make any purchases or invest time in models that won't be competitive.

Not to mention there are definitely people who one way or another have had access to more information on the changes. The whole thing has been a negative experience.
    Last edited by Tier QQ; 05-17-2016 at 01:11 PM.

[QUOTE=Tier QQ;3520309][QUOTE=PPS_Valerie;3520194]... The problem with spoilers is just that, they spoil. Often is the case that they’re not a complete picture, or contain erroneous or incomplete information ...

... When Soles, Hungerford, Shick, or other Privateer Staff answer questions here or via Insiders you’re getting not only much more reliable information, you often also get a much better sense of context. On the forums you have the ability to speak with game developers and other staffers about these changes and have your questions answered right from the source ...

While the official spoilers reveal accurate information they are surely not in any better context. How many times has the PP Staff hedged themselves with something along the lines of "don't worry it's hard to understand X change without seeing the whole picture" in the last two weeks? You want to talk about creating anxiety and panic... the way you are disseminating information is the cause of it. You really should have just released the information all at once or at least with much, much more "context.''

I know there will be varying opinions on this, but for me I personally think your marketing hype tactic is completely unnecessary. I am not buying or painting models in anticipation, I am on hold waiting to see how everything shakes out before I make any purchases or invest time in models that won't be competitive.

Not to mention there are definitely people who one way or another have had access to more information on the changes. The whole thing has been a negative experience.
    This is completely the opposite with me. The slow trickle of spoilers has been awesome, and PP responding (even when it's vague) is great. I love everything you gals/guys have been doing. I enjoy trying to guess what's happening next or what X change means for the faction. Though I'm not one to get super invested in one particular model so nerfs/buffs are all the same to me. I just like seeing the changes

Destroyer of Worlds NoSuchMethod's Avatar

Hello, everyone. We wanted to address the topic of spoilers, as the subject has surfaced recently. In the tabletop industry, (or any industry, really) spoilers happen. Leaked images, snippets of rules text, etc. The problem with spoilers is just that, they spoil. Often is the case that they’re not a complete picture, or contain erroneous or incomplete information. This often leads to panic when folks start to speculate on game changes with only the limited information they have, causing confusion and anxiety. [. . .]

We love how passionate our community has always been, and we appreciate how excited everyone is to start playing the new editions of WARMACHINE and HORDES. We ask that you leave the previews and releases to Privateer Press, because that’s info you know you can take to the table!
    100% understand your official stance on this; it makes all the sense in the world.

That said, the various unofficial leaks probably aren't a bad thing. It may not be as controlled a release as the good Mr. Wilson would like, but ultimately it's still hype for the game. Obviously, the leaks have set our local corner of the internet on fire - that's only because there is tremendous excitement building for the new edition.

You can try to fight the fire, if you like... or you can channel your inner Malekus and USE IT TO DESTROY YOUR ENEMIES*.

(*) = "enemies" in this context probably referring to an abstract amalgamated concept of declining interest and sales merged with a stagnating community, or something like that.
    Last edited by NoSuchMethod; 05-17-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Yeah something felt off with those "Confidential" spoilers from today.

With the exception of Eiryss1 (Seriously, how is that not a negative play experience... but I digress......) I've nodded and liked every full card I've seen so far. Those spoilers today were just terrible, all bad all the time. They must have been from the first round of tests years ago or so. Or at least I hope, because those rules were terrible across the board.

Destroyer of Worlds

No unofficial spoilers on your site is kosher but what about PPS asking there press gangers to try to control non PPS sites

I've been messaged by pressgangers threatening to ban me from non PPS sites becuase PPS asked them too(stating that they are a pressganger who has been asked by PPS to stop unwanted leaks). Its OK that you ask people to not post leaks but not OK to use your volunteer support to police unoffical groups.

Heck I didn't even post the spoiler I just posted a picture of the same spoiler that was easier to read.

Cmon PPS don't be those guys. We know that some of these aren't legit that's half the fun
    Last edited by Puc0; 05-17-2016 at 02:11 PM.

Destroyer of Worlds possiblyarowbot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puc0 View Post
    No unofficial spoilers on your site is kosher but what about PPS asking there press gangers to try to control non PPS sites

I've been messaged by pressgangers threatening to ban me from non PPS sites becuase PPS asked them too(stating that they are a pressganger who has been asked by PPS to stop unwanted leaks). Its OK that you ask people to not post leaks but not OK to use your volunteer support to police unoffical groups.

Heck I didn't even post the spoiler I just posted a picture of the same spoiler that was easier to read.

Cmon PPS don't be those guys. We know that some of these aren't legit that's half the fun
    We were never asked to do policing of any sort.
    When you find yourself outnumbered, outmanned, outgunned and outclassed... do something stupid.

Convention Coordinator PPS_JamesA's Avatar

The Press Gang has only been asked to refrain from spreading any non-official information. No instructions have been given to the Press Gang to attempt to impose regulation upon any third party sites, groups, or organizations on behalf of Privateer Press.

If you ever feel you are being harassed by a member of the Press Gang, please contact me immediately via quartermaster@privateerpress.com.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Reich
    Your most precious possession is the people you have...what they carry around in their heads, and their ability to work together.

Quote Originally Posted by PPS_JamesA View Post
    The Press Gang has only been asked to refrain from spreading any non-official information. No instructions have been given to the Press Gang to attempt to impose regulation upon any third party sites, groups, or organizations on behalf of Privateer Press.

If you ever feel you are being harassed by a member of the Press Gang, please contact me immediately via quartermaster@privateerpress.com.
    Good guy James
    Quote Originally Posted by MaidenManiac View Post
    "Dear game designers
    Rock is horribly broken
    Papers is completely fine
    Best regards Scissors"

The whole point of doling the information out slowly is to build hype for the new edition. Get people excited and interested in what is coming. It also allows PP to showcase the changes they have made and explain why they have made them.

Can it be hard to wait while you are so excited? Sure but that sense of impatience is a sign that PP is doing a great job hyping the game.

These kind of spoilers hurt the game.

Imagine how many fewer copies of No Quarters magazines PP is going to sell now that the spoilers have spoiled the cards from the new start sets. Lots of lots of people were going to buy the magazines to get their first real taste of the new edition. Now? Many of those "sure fire" customers will be reticent to spend money on something they have already seen before.

People who spoil things like this are taking money out of PP's pocket. They aren't some vast, faceless international corporation. Spoilers like these really do affect the company and the people who work there.
    Last edited by Mod_Neldar; 05-17-2016 at 03:06 PM.

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by PPS_JamesA View Post

Good to hear I assumed it was someone speaking out of turn. It would be nice if they didn't label themselves as a pg when making these types of request that way I wouldnt assume they werent commenting as a pg when making these types of comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Puc0 View Post
    Good to hear I assumed it was someone speaking out of turn. It would be nice if they didn't label themselves as a pg when making these types of request that way I wouldnt assume they werent commenting as a pg when making these types of comments.
    The Circle Orboros Facebook group has 2,102 members and 1 admin. That admin posted the following on the circle orboros facebook page:

"Sorry to ruin everyone's fun kiddies but Privateer Press has politely asked me to remove all illegal images of the MKIII cards. Being a PG I would like to happily oblige them. For those who posted them before, no harm no foul. For those that try and post them again... (insert JAWS theme music) BANHAMMER! We now return you to your your regularly scheduled WarmaHordes show..."

That exact same thing was posted on the Cygnar facebook group, like word for word.

Destroyer of Worlds SlenderBurrito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CytoSlide View Post
    The Circle Orboros Facebook group has 2,102 members and 1 admin. That admin posted the following on the circle orboros facebook page:

"Sorry to ruin everyone's fun kiddies but Privateer Press has politely asked me to remove all illegal images of the MKIII cards. Being a PG I would like to happily oblige them. For those who posted them before, no harm no foul. For those that try and post them again... (insert JAWS theme music) BANHAMMER! We now return you to your your regularly scheduled WarmaHordes show..."
    Same on Cryx.
    If I play Cephalyx, I'm still HALF a Cryx player, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Norway View Post
    In the desolate field of Cryx Mark 3, Skarre remains standing proud upon a mosh pit of Satyxis screaming "I'M STILL HERE"

Quote Originally Posted by CytoSlide View Post

I'm thinking this is an issue of phrasing. We have not contacted a single external site or fan page on social media asking anyone to take spoilers down. Today we have been approached by several admins from fan pages asking if they had to take down the content in question. Our response has always been "We would greatly appreciate it if you would not assist in spreading that content." This was not a direct order to anyone, and if the content was taken down, it was at the discretion of those admins.
    Last edited by PPS_Valerie; 05-17-2016 at 06:03 PM.

I'm thinking this is an issue of phrasing. We have not contacted a single external site or fan page on social media asking anyone to take spoilers down. Today we have been approached by several admins from fan pages asking if they had to take down the content in question. Our response has always been "We would greatly appreciate it if you would not assist in spreading that content." This was not a direct order to anyone, and if the content was taken down, it was at the discretion of those admins.
    Thank you for taking the time to dispel the rumors and resolve Privateer Press' official stance on the posting of unofficial spoilers.
    Last edited by CytoSlide; 05-18-2016 at 08:38 AM.

Destroyer of Worlds Stormpuppy_Infantry's Avatar

So, at least you didn't leak the spoilers intentionally, right?

Well, even if they are real, it seems that they are not final and one of the versions during the test....
    You create your own destiny, and your lot in life is not fixed at birth.
    Truth is truth, regardless how bitter it is.
    Stormblade Infantry, fragile but versatile infantry.
    Clockwork Oracle, Warmachine&Hordes probability calculator for Android.
    RIP, Haley1 and Black 13th. You are my heroes in the dark times.

Destroyer of Worlds Po the Barbarian's Avatar

What's wrong with asking volunteers to, you know, voluntarily take down spoilers in venues they have control over?

Moreover, why disavow the FB group admins who try to adhere to Privateer's request's with "we didn't exactly say to do that."? Seems awful to hang those guys out to dry after they tried to follow the instructions provided.

The spoilers are unwanted, using your influence to make them spread less seems entirely reasonable. Hanging your volunteers out to dry with the people they interact with daily on the topic seems short sighted. Own your actions and requests or don't make these kinds of requests of people if you aren't willing to back them up.

Annihilator

Quote Originally Posted by Po the Barbarian View Post
    What's wrong with asking volunteers to, you know, voluntarily take down spoilers in venues they have control over?

Moreover, why disavow the FB group admins who try to adhere to Privateer's request's with "we didn't exactly say to do that."? Seems awful to hang those guys out to dry after they tried to follow the instructions provided.

The spoilers are unwanted, using your influence to make them spread less seems entirely reasonable. Hanging your volunteers out to dry with the people they interact with daily on the topic seems short sighted. Own your actions and requests or don't make these kinds of requests of people if you aren't willing to back them up.
    Probably because PP have no control over facebook groups or other 3rd party sites?

All they can do is ask people not to post but it's up to the admin's of the sites on how they go about this.

And who's been disavowed here? We have been told by both James and Valerie that the PG's were asked to 'refrain' from on posting of rumours and such, especially of non-official information. Without seeing the actual instructions given to the PG's, all we can go on is how people have interpreted the request.
    Whats the worse that could happen?

You could die horribly?

Yeah, but it would look cool.

Note that this was promptly followed by my Palladins Warhorse dying horribly

RIP Binky

We are certainly not throwing our admin friends under the bus here, nor is this an instance of duplicitous communication with the folks that run PP related fan pages. We simply want to clarify that we haven't given any orders to any external site or fan page to take down content.

I'm gonna go out on a limb for fun here and say those ARE the real cards that got leaked, which is gonna be pretty funny with all the ppl saying "oh I knew those weren't real" and especially "oh those are SO bad they couldn't be real" etc etc.

They were clearly photos of layouts printed on glossy magazine pages with the right upper borders on the pages, could definetly be wrong of course but I'm gonna put my money on real for now.

Only time will tell !

Quote Originally Posted by bloodfist117 View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb for fun here and say those ARE the real cards that got leaked, which is gonna be pretty funny with all the ppl saying "oh I knew those weren't real" and especially "oh those are SO bad they couldn't be real" etc etc.

They were clearly photos of layouts printed on glossy magazine pages with the right upper borders on the pages, could definetly be wrong of course but I'm gonna put my money on real for now.

Only time will tell !
    There are several sets of spoilers out there. One set appears to be taken from the new issue of NQ. ( Battlebox spoilers ) Another set appears to be actual scans of cards. The final few appear to be screenshots of PDFs. Some are probably real. Some may be fake and/or playtest cards.

Destroyer of Worlds Delta57Dash's Avatar

As someone who saw some of them, the Venethrax ones seemed to directly contradict something that was spoiled earlier, so I'm pretty sure the cards that got spoiled were from an earlier playtesting cycle.

Meaning that discussing them is fairly pointless anyways, as they were likely changed.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodfist117 View Post

Only time will tell !
    I'm going to put my faith in PP here and say at least SOME of the cards were playtest versions. The things they did to poor Gaspy2... One or two would have sufficed, but nerfing literally every part of his spell list and feat besides the 4" AoE spell (I can't remember the name) isn't what I would call balance. eNerfy is only funny to an extent, after that it's just sadness.

Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by Soulforge View Post
    I'm going to put my faith in PP here and say at least SOME of the cards were playtest versions. The things they did to poor Gaspy2... One or two would have sufficed, but nerfing literally every part of his spell list and feat besides the 4" AoE spell (I can't remember the name) isn't what I would call balance. eNerfy is only funny to an extent, after that it's just sadness.
    I think people are reaching a bit with this. Why would pp go to the trouble of designing and printing formal playtest cards, then paying to print them in full color card stock, then not marking them with a version number in any way?

I got a half decent look at some of the cards that were spoiled last night, I really hope that they are either fake or outdated beta test cards from early on in the play test process. Mainly down to one card inparticular...Terminus.

Terminus took a pretty whopping Nerf with the changes to overboosting, in response to this PP have officially noted that he would be received a bump to his Armour (Butcher was also mentioned) to account for this. On the spoiled Terminus card, he was still ARM18 but had gained Assault. I cannot begin to explain how disappointing it was to read that.

Not only because it was mentioned as they only change to Terminus (leaving him pretty dump going into Mk3) but because PP directly and officially told us something that hasn't happened.

I am holding out hope that these were fake or old leaks but if they are real, my confidence in PP will have been severely shaken. I don't appreciate being directly lied to and misled into spending money.

I'm betting that, when they reveal in an upcoming Insider cards that have been leaked, some will say "But we already knew that! Show us something else!"

I played Retribution BEFORE MK.III. Haha! Reckoning of Scyrah is at hand! (Yes, I'm feeling good about the Ret Spoilers!)

Destroyer of Worlds The Captain's Avatar

If said volunteer misinterprets PP's message, intentionally or unintentionally, and starts making demands and threats to the FB community where all PP did was make a request, PP cannot be held responsible for that. I'm sure the volunteer in question had only good intentions, but they really need to consider how to paraphrase PP's requests. And if they choose to police their community in a stricter manner than instructed by PP, it's, again, on their own head.
    It is a capital mistake to theorize before you have all the evidence. It biases the judgment. -Sherlock Holmes
    (Doyle, A. C. 1887: A Study in Scarlet)

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
    If said volunteer misinterprets PP's message, intentionally or unintentionally, and starts making demands and threats to the FB community where all PP did was make a request, PP cannot be held responsible for that. I'm sure the volunteer in question had only good intentions, but they really need to consider how to paraphrase PP's requests. And if they choose to police their community in a stricter manner than instructed by PP, it's, again, on their own head.
    I am sure this is what happened. Miscommunication happens easily and PPS did a good job of clearing up there stance on the situation. I have been in vplunteer positions that have had extra expections attached to them before and I am glad to see that no such thing happens under PPS watch.
    Last edited by Puc0; 05-18-2016 at 07:50 PM.

PPS_Valerie, while we have you here, could you spoil a little bit about the Black Ogrun Boarding Party?

Quote Originally Posted by yrtnes View Post
    the whole point of doling the information out slowly is to build hype for the new edition. Get people excited ...
    i'm so hype!
    2017 Play it Painted! 1 Casters and 40 points to go! : /

Legion - 20 points unpainted.
    Cygnar - 1 warcaster and 20 points unpainted.