Default WIP - broken aquaduct

For some time I have wanted to make a big, broken aquaduct, with a waterfall crashing down on the ruins of the fallen construction. I started, the stopped, then started - and you get to point...
    However, with New Edition coming up, I decided I needed to get it done, before joining a journaman league and starting a new faction up. As with everything else, nothing is true and binding before its shared on the web, so in order to commit myself I decided to start this thread.
    So here it is, the race with the New Edition.
    This is my vision:

I want to play the waterfall part as obscured, difficult terrain, like forest. We'll see if the result will allow for this interpretation.

I've made three pillars with arches on them, and started the painting. I've just bought an airbrush, so this will also be my maiden voyage with this most versatile instrument. One arch is done (with details yet to be made) and I've started on the second one.

Its going to be rather big. There is 8 inch between each pillar, and a minimum of 8 inches under the arches - 10 at the top. While is dont have a collosal myself, I was told the height would suffice. again, we'll see when I get my Glacial King. In this pic you get a sense of the seize. Its a warwagon (huge base) standing to the left, and Mulg is skulking behind one of the pillars (eyeing it with a growing hunger...)

I need to be able to take it apart, both for storage and if I don't want it to go too far into the board. To make it stabel on the battlefield, I've fitted the ends of the arches with magnets and corresponding screws, so is snaps together.

When I'm done with three pillars (including making the water in the canal on the top), I'l turn to the really interesting part - the waterfall where the aquaduct is collapsed.
    I'll be back soon with more pictures (hopefully of a better quality...)

What'd you use to make the aqueduct? That looks sweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesoe View Post
    We Californians take comfort in at least not living in Flint, Michigan.

Wow, that is pretty cool.
    You bring the blood, I'll bring the bullets.
    Painting: Merc's, Merc's2

Terrain:Here ,Battle Reports:Here

Very cool. How are you planning on making the 'waterfall'?
    I know violence isn't the answer-
    I got it wrong on purpose!

Destroyer of Worlds

That is gigantic. At first glance, it looked like you had a large based model on the left and a small base on the right...

Fantastic job mate, I'd just started work on something like this myself a few scant weeks ago! Your's looks fantastic!

There's a technique you can use with clear Caulk, wax paper and Clue water with cheap cottons balls that does a magnificent waterfall splash effect.

Thanks
    The aquaduct is made of isolation foam-sheets, approx. 2 inch wide. I'm not completely happy with the material, though, since the grains in the foam are still visible. I sanded it down and roughend up the surface before priming, and still the grains are showing, when you look closely. Mayby I use a wrong technique, or mayby poor choich of materials. Thoughts are most welcome.

I plan to make the waterfall by using hard plasticsheets. When heated, they can be shaped very organically and cut into all shorts of shapes. The plan is to make a lot of layers of hard plastic, and then apply various watereffects and foam/paint. I tried to make a rather simple testversion, and I think i could work.

It needs to be less "complete" and more segmented, and the foam at the bottom is still a puzzel I havent solved
    TableFullOfAwesome, do you have a link to a tutorial of the technique, you mentioned? I'v heard about before, but never seen how it is done.

And again, sorry about the picture quality - I'm getting my real camera functional before next post, I pomise

Roofs

Quote Originally Posted by Roofs View Post
    Thanks
    The aquaduct is made of isolation foam-sheets, approx. 2 inch wide. I'm not completely happy with the material, though, since the grains in the foam are still visible. I sanded it down and roughend up the surface before priming, and still the grains are showing, when you look closely. Mayby I use a wrong technique, or mayby poor choich of materials. Thoughts are most welcome.
    Whenever I use that kind of 'beaded' foam, after assembling it in the configuration I want, I coat it with a mix of thinned white glue and sand, both to hide the beads, give it extra texture, and add to its strength. Here's the only pic I have handy of the end result:

[IMG][/IMG]

If you were to use this technique on something with a distinct brick pattern, you would need to scrape the glue/sand mixture out of the joints after coating but before it dries.
    I know violence isn't the answer-
    I got it wrong on purpose!

I made a similar aqueduct once with Hirst molds (bridge and tower have some nice arches) but never thought to magnetize, and I'm really interested to see where you go with the water effects. Looking really nice!
    A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming. -Barbarella
    These eyes can do more than see. -Blind Mag, Repo! The Genetic Opera

OOOOkay, is this necro´ing? - so I went into the tank for a while, I guess. For various reasons, Warmachine has been set on hold for some time, including the hobby-part.
    But after rain comes sun, and now I once again feel the creativity stirr, and my aquaduct project is at the top of my to-do list.
    I´ve done some painting and assembling and have made some progress.

The basic painting is now done, and its time to glue together the big and the smaller arches. Now, at this stage, precision is key. If all modules are the same hight and the canal-part is completely level, you will achieve a situation where all modules always fits neatly together, regardless of the order or orientation of each module.

So out comes the vatterpas - spirit level? in English? Look at the picture, you´ll recognize the tool

I basically strapped the top pieces to the vatterpas up-side down, in a row. I the set up the central collumns in a row on a leveled surface. Put rapid drying, relatively thinly mixed plaster underneath the base of the arches on the canal and put it on top of the row of central collumns, making sure the canal row was absolutely level.
    While it might look very thought through, it is not. See, you have to make sure the construction is level in ALL directions, not just the one you observe from the side. The result was of course that the canal row was level, but was tilting slightly to one side. Which means I have to make sure the modules are orientede correctly to each other, otherwise the top of the aquaduct (including the water...) will become quite uneven and unpretty. Ah well.

Next will be applying water to the canal - hoping to be back with more posts soon

Annihilator

Lay your vatterpas on it's side. That way you can check level in two directions at the same time.

You´r absolutely right, and is a baaad rookie mistake. Lack of focus. I was keen on making the bottom of the canal aligned, and the vatterpas just happened to fit perfectly into that when positioned upright... In hindsight, I should have placed a square stick in the canal and used that for aligning, and the mounted the vatterpas on top. Maybe next time?

Here you can see the crosssection of the canal, with the bottom visible.

Done with the water in the canal. It was kind of horrid, since I made a lot of mistakes on the way. My plan was all along to put in a strip of clear plexi plast in it to create a sense of depth and then apply water effect on top of it.
    I had used a strip of carboard to level out the bottom of the canal, painted it up was ready to put down the piece of plexi. I poured some still water-stuff into the canal to act as clue and to fill up whatever holes, rifts etc, there might be. I sealed of the end with tape.
    But while the plexi is completely straight, the carboard bottom isn´t. And instead of filling out all the crevases nicely, the still water just made a lot of bubbles in the places, where the carboard didn´t fit the plexi. And the seals at the ends wasn´t done properly, so most of the still water just ran out...

In the end, I went for a solution, where I painted the bottom of the canal on a seperate piece of carboard, which I then glued on to the plexi. When dry, I put it into the canal, and used water effect (the thick one) to fill out the gaps between the plexi and foam. Then made some waves and such and poured some additional still water onto the whole thing. In the end it turned out nicely, I think

And the cross section where you can see how thick the plexi is.

Next will be the interesting part - the waterfall.

First, I cut out the last piece of the aquaduct, from where the water will tumble down

This is how I intend it to be placed. I know, I know, IRL there would be no way that a construction would fall apart like this, you would never see an arch go beyond the top point if one side didn´t have support. Well, magic, I guess...

Next will be the bottom of the waterfall

Destroyer of Worlds Doktor Grym's Avatar
    Starkweather-Moore Supply Base Bravo, Antarctica

That is a work of craftsmanship Roofs. When aqueducts were built they frequently used woods inner support and framing, so your piece supported by "Magic" could be supported by that. You might show some wooden beams protruding out the end. As an additional piece of terrain, might make a repair section that is Iron Kingdom steampunk in flavor using a metal column(s) and metal trough section. If you look online you will find samples of historic repaired aqueduct.

KSW
    Welcome to the Thornwood Bistro, where the weak are killed and eaten; perhaps you'll have em' flame broiled and (un)dead or Blindwater marinated; spicy & chewy. I'd suggest Thornfall smoked & falling off the bone tender. You're going with bloody raw and still screaming. Excellent choice Mr. Ca... AaaHhhhh!

Thanks for the praise, Doktor Grym, and thanks for the advice on the inner support using beams of wood! I´ll be adding that for sure!

Meanwhile, I made the base of the waterfall, lots of stone-fragments (will probably add some pieces of wood here as well). I coated most of it with some varnish for my wooden floors to make it look wet, mostly because I used quite a lot and had some on the shelves. It comes out with a blue color in the pictures, bur that must be something with the blitz, because it looks fine (and transparent) IRL.

The base is two pieces: a flat one, outlining the whole area, practically functioning as a template. On top of that comes the actual terrain piece, with the stones and rubble, and most importantly the waterfall. This will be completely inaccessible to models with all the what-not on it, and as playability is important for the whole terrain piece (being an alternative “forest”), the top piece can be removed, leaving only the “template” in place for models to swarm all over.

Next up is fixing the top – that is the broken part of the aquaduct – to the base. This is done by making a strip of plexiplast and using it as a sort of support. To cut the plexiplast, I used a hot air gun, thick gloves (important as the plastic will get very hot!) a robust knife (this requires a certain amount of raw strength) and fasteners to hold the plexiplast down while you cut. Work in a well ventilated space, I not sure what sort of fumes comes from heating plexiplast, but I suspect they don´t improve either intelligence or fertility. And consider what you put under the plast to cut on – it will take some damage during the process. I used an old hardwood shelve, and not my usual cutting board.

I cut a thin piece of plexi the appropriate length, warped it a bit and glued it to the base and the top piece, while the top piece was attached to the rest of the aquaduct. It is also fitted with magnets, so it can be removes or attached easily. The support plexi will not look very much like falling water, as it is mostly a straight piece, but it will not be very visible, as other pieces of plexi will be added around it.
    You can see the waterfall piece attached to the aquaduct as well as how it looks as it stands alone. Looks funny that way, I think.

To the cutting table! Grab your (hot air) gun and (hobby) knife! Time to make waterfalls!

Done a lot of cutting now, and I’m done with the plexi plast. I’m a little worried, it looks kinda crazy big. It looks like a LOT of water falling from the top, Niagara-style. But we’ll see. My intend is to cover the falling water with some water effect stuff to give it texture, and then spraypaint it white to make foam. In the end, I hope to make and impression, that most of what you see here as falling water instead comes across as falling mist, making the whole waterfall less volumious, so it doesn’t look like it’s the Rhien/Colorado River flowing out of the aquaduct... We’ll see if it works out that way.

The bottom is a complete wildcard. I want to give the impression of a lot of rolling mist, again using the warped plexiplast with a hint of white spraypaint to create the illusion of a fog. Right now it just look like insane amounts of water hitting the ground in an explosion kinda way.

Next I’ll apply water effect to all the pieces.

I've seen cotton used for smoke, often drybrushed darker colours I think, perhaps that would work better for mist?